Horizon League Champs!!!

Your place to discuss Women's Softball

Horizon League Champs!!!

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 12, 2019 6:56 am

I know there is a thread about this in the Men's BB forum. But the achievement of the 2019 Titans' Softball team merits its own standalone thread in that team's own forum on this website.

Liz Murphy went into UIC and shut them out for the entire day yesterday on the Flames' home field.

https://detroittitans.com/news/2019/5/11/we-are-the-champions-my-friends-softball-claims-hl-championship-with-pair-of-wins-over-top-seeded-uic.aspx

http://www.horizonleague.org/news/2019/5/11/softball-detroit-mercy-crowned-2019-hlsb-champions.aspx

Titans on HL All-Tournament Team

Liz Murphy, Detroit Mercy (MVP)
Courtney Gilbert, Detroit Mercy
Jordan Manno, Detroit Mercy
Kori Keyes, Detroit Mercy
ptctitan
Senior

Re: Horizon League Champs!!!

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 am

I'm posting my thoughts here because the 2019 Softball team has earned the right to be mentioned in its own Forum and not be made a subset of the men's BB forum. And the other posters on this board ought to move that topic out of the men's BB forum to this forum so those thoughts are not lost in the cacophony that often characterizes the men's BB forum. The 2019 softball team was in a league of its own.

I'm very proud of the effort given by the 2019 Titans softball team in their first ever NCAA tournament. All the "experts" said they could not accomplish anything meaningful as a team because they had tried and failed in past seasons. Those experiences only made them stronger. They had been defeated decisively by UIC 4 times in a row; but then rebounded in the HL tournament to win 2 in a row vs UIC on UIC's home field. With their backs against the wall (again), they battled until the end against SIU. They have shown that big things can be accomplished when a group pulls together as a team and battles for a common goal. I believe that lesson will be learned by other Titan teams over the coming years. When we look back in 10-20 years, we will say that the 2019 softball team showed us all the way to accomplishing big things in all sports. And when the members of this team return to campus on the future anniversaries of this year's dream team run, they should be treated by the fans as the team who led the way by showing us how to never give in to the "experts."
ptctitan
Senior

Return to Women's Softball