Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

Your place to discuss Women's Softball

Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

Postby titanreggie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm

The softball team has won only 5 games this season, one at home [over Davenport]. I thought they were getting better but this is getting sad. They haven't had a .500 season in over 20 years. Only 32 wins in the last five years. What's going on there for those who may have some insight. That's pretty awful.

Bummed!
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

Postby AmenBrother » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Coach Liz is in her second year and it has been tough, the last 6 games they lost a lot in the last inning. Regardless, they continue to be in the top 10 for NCAA Div I Grade Point Average.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Maybe we should consider taking a little from the Mens Head Coach Total Compensation Package to pay for some of this other stuff?!
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm

AmenBrother wrote:Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Maybe we should consider taking a little from the Mens Head Coach Total Compensation Package to pay for some of this other stuff?!

Dear Amen,

How dare you hijack this thread and talk about taking money away from the greatest UDM men's basketball coach in the last 6 years and spending it on quality things to upgrade the athletic department as a whole.

Signed,
90% of the detroittitanhoops.com posters
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 am

I know tr! its not good. I thought our former coach was turning things around. guess not.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 am

Titan Andrew wrote:
AmenBrother wrote:Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Dear Amen,

How dare you hijack this thread and talk about taking money away from the greatest UDM men's basketball coach in the last 6 years and spending it on quality things to upgrade the athletic department as a whole.

Signed,
90% of the detroittitanhoops.com posters

89% of the detroittitans hoops.com posters. If it wasn't for the basketball program I would not be a Titan fan and would never have contributed to the U for the last 46 yrs. I worked on Livernois and the basketball pulled us in and we have been unable to depart.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:33 am

I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.

And they're not going to cut Ray's salary anyway, so it's just stupid carping.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm

titanreggie wrote:The softball team has won only 5 games this season, one at home [over Davenport]. I thought they were getting better but this is getting sad. They haven't had a .500 season in over 20 years. Only 32 wins in the last five years. What's going on there for those who may have some insight. That's pretty awful.

Bummed!

+1
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

+1 and I am going suggest to you that the uniforms are much better
titanmike
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 pm

titanmike wrote:

+1 and I am going suggest to you that the uniforms are much better

Looking at it strictly from a cost analysis viewpoint, I would assume that because less material goes into volleyball uniforms than into softball uniforms it would be beneficial to the bottom line.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Of course it's gymnasium volleyball. Even so, less material I would think. Therefore, lower costs. Maybe the Commissioner could conduct some in-depth research and post the results...along with helpful pictures and illustrations.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Titan.RW » Sat May 03, 2014 7:11 am

Titan.RW
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Sat May 03, 2014 7:54 am

For those interested.

Season Recap.

Women’s Track & Field, UDM Won.

Men’s Track & Field, UDM Won.

Women’s Softball, UDM Won Doubleheader.

Men’s Basketball, OU Won Both.

Women’s Basketball, OU Won Both.

Women’s Tennis, UDM Won.

Women’s Soccer, OU Won.

Men’s Soccer, OU Won.

Women’s Golf, UDM Horizon Champion.

Men’s Golf, UDM Horizon Runner-up to CSU.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:43 am

http://detroittitans.com/news/2014/6/26 ... 40426.aspx

The softball coach was fired yesterday. This seems like a "no win" job, wonder how many candidates will apply?
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:10 am

With a job like that, you probably have to find an under the radar coach looking for their opportunity and hope you catch lightening in a bottle. Hopefully they get someone who can begin the turnaround.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 am

Again Raises the question of why softball? Don't all the reasons that we dropped baseball equally apply to softball? Got to believe we have a better way to spend money on women athletics. Only plausible reason to keep would be if it increased attendance to the university, but how many are coming for such a losing tradition?
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Switch to volleyball. Every other HL school has a team. Seems like a no-brainer.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am

there was a fundraiser this year for the softball locker room. how many here contributed?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Do you mean a long shot choice like Dick Vitale was in 1973? I think that would follow a tradition that has been seen many times in the U of D sport history.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Return to Women's Softball