Page 1 of 1

Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm
by titanreggie
The softball team has won only 5 games this season, one at home [over Davenport]. I thought they were getting better but this is getting sad. They haven't had a .500 season in over 20 years. Only 32 wins in the last five years. What's going on there for those who may have some insight. That's pretty awful.

Bummed!

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm
by AmenBrother
Coach Liz is in her second year and it has been tough, the last 6 games they lost a lot in the last inning. Regardless, they continue to be in the top 10 for NCAA Div I Grade Point Average.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 pm
by AmenBrother
Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Maybe we should consider taking a little from the Mens Head Coach Total Compensation Package to pay for some of this other stuff?!

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm
by Titan Andrew
AmenBrother wrote:Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Maybe we should consider taking a little from the Mens Head Coach Total Compensation Package to pay for some of this other stuff?!


Dear Amen,

How dare you hijack this thread and talk about taking money away from the greatest UDM men's basketball coach in the last 6 years and spending it on quality things to upgrade the athletic department as a whole.

Signed,
90% of the detroittitanhoops.com posters

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 am
by titanmac
I know tr! its not good. I thought our former coach was turning things around. guess not.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 am
by upbasketballfan
Titan Andrew wrote:
AmenBrother wrote:Also, we need to get serious about fundraising for UDM Athletics. UDM is the only Horizon League institution not to broadcast their softball and soccer regular season Horizon League games on the HLN Network. Every coach in the Horizon will tell you having their games broadcast on HLN helps recruiting for their respective sport.

Maybe we should consider taking a little from the Mens Head Coach Total Compensation Package to pay for some of this other stuff?!


Dear Amen,

How dare you hijack this thread and talk about taking money away from the greatest UDM men's basketball coach in the last 6 years and spending it on quality things to upgrade the athletic department as a whole.

Signed,
90% of the detroittitanhoops.com posters


89% of the detroittitans hoops.com posters. If it wasn't for the basketball program I would not be a Titan fan and would never have contributed to the U for the last 46 yrs. I worked on Livernois and the basketball pulled us in and we have been unable to depart.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:33 am
by ExcitedTitan
I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm
by Commissioner
ExcitedTitan wrote:I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.

And they're not going to cut Ray's salary anyway, so it's just stupid carping.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm
by titanmike
titanreggie wrote:The softball team has won only 5 games this season, one at home [over Davenport]. I thought they were getting better but this is getting sad. They haven't had a .500 season in over 20 years. Only 32 wins in the last five years. What's going on there for those who may have some insight. That's pretty awful.

Bummed!


+1

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 pm
by titanmike
ExcitedTitan wrote:I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.


+1 and I am going suggest to you that the uniforms are much better

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 pm
by MooseGuy1
titanmike wrote:
ExcitedTitan wrote:I say drop softball and add volleyball. I am a little surprised it hasn't been done already. It has to be less expensive. They can practice in the conditions they play in all year. We have Calihan and the rec center. We have a club team already. I would rather watch a volleyball game than a softball game, especially with a poor softball team, in the cold. I have nothing to back this up, but I would think there are more high school volleyball players than softball players in the state. There are several volleyball clubs around. Building a competitive team should be easier.

Currently, 8 HL schools play softball and 8 play volleyball. Would switching mess up any automatic bids for the HL?

As far as taking $ away from Ray, that is backwards thinking. We get a lesser coach than Ray leading to worse teams, less fans, no more Mooses (or is it Meeses), less money for all of athletics, etc.


+1 and I am going suggest to you that the uniforms are much better


Looking at it strictly from a cost analysis viewpoint, I would assume that because less material goes into volleyball uniforms than into softball uniforms it would be beneficial to the bottom line.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm
by MooseGuy1
Of course it's gymnasium volleyball. Even so, less material I would think. Therefore, lower costs. Maybe the Commissioner could conduct some in-depth research and post the results...along with helpful pictures and illustrations.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:11 am
by Titan.RW

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:54 am
by AmenBrother
For those interested.

Season Recap.

Women’s Track & Field, UDM Won.

Men’s Track & Field, UDM Won.

Women’s Softball, UDM Won Doubleheader.

Men’s Basketball, OU Won Both.

Women’s Basketball, OU Won Both.

Women’s Tennis, UDM Won.

Women’s Soccer, OU Won.

Men’s Soccer, OU Won.

Women’s Golf, UDM Horizon Champion.

Men’s Golf, UDM Horizon Runner-up to CSU.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:43 am
by Titan Andrew
http://detroittitans.com/news/2014/6/26 ... 40426.aspx

The softball coach was fired yesterday. This seems like a "no win" job, wonder how many candidates will apply?

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:10 am
by Motor City Sam
With a job like that, you probably have to find an under the radar coach looking for their opportunity and hope you catch lightening in a bottle. Hopefully they get someone who can begin the turnaround.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 am
by Big Chuck
Again Raises the question of why softball? Don't all the reasons that we dropped baseball equally apply to softball? Got to believe we have a better way to spend money on women athletics. Only plausible reason to keep would be if it increased attendance to the university, but how many are coming for such a losing tradition?

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 pm
by ExcitedTitan
Switch to volleyball. Every other HL school has a team. Seems like a no-brainer.

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am
by titanmac
there was a fundraiser this year for the softball locker room. how many here contributed?

Re: Don't Mean to be a downer BUT - SOFTBALL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm
by StJoeUofD
Do you mean a long shot choice like Dick Vitale was in 1973? I think that would follow a tradition that has been seen many times in the U of D sport history.