From the IT COULD BE WORSE File

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

From the IT COULD BE WORSE File

Postby NC Titan » Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

From ABC News:

Michigan State University has agreed to pay the alleged victims of former gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar $500 million, according to a group of lawyers representing the 332 people who accused him of sexual abuse.

That's a huge chunk of change.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Re: From the IT COULD BE WORSE File

Postby Rumpole59 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Forgive me if I’ve missed a discussion elsewhere on this, but...

Is it possible that there is/was a lawsuit that has contributed to the current debacle at Six Mile & Livernois?
Rumpole59
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Wow, 1/2 billion for rape gate. I stopped not only rooting, watching Penn State a few years ago after that scandal. Now the same applies for MSU. This is a total disrespect to society and its all on the taxpayers dime. SMH
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm

I just wonder where $500 million comes from. Do they have that in their Athletics Department checking account? Rainy Day Fund?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am

Rumpole59 wrote:Is it possible that there is/was a lawsuit that has contributed to the current debacle at Six Mile & Livernois?

They may have had to settle with Bacari. I doubt he would agree he was fired for cause if his contract was guaranteed. That should not have taken too long to work and the coaching search certainly could have begun before they settled. The issue may have been how much money was left in the budget for a new coach. We are not going to interview Pitino if you only have $200,000 to work with.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:
Rumpole59 wrote:Is it possible that there is/was a lawsuit that has contributed to the current debacle at Six Mile & Livernois?

They may have had to settle with Bacari. I doubt he would agree he was fired for cause if his contract was guaranteed. That should not have taken too long to work and the coaching search certainly could have begun before they settled. The issue may have been how much money was left in the budget for a new coach. We are not going to interview Pitino if you only have $200,000 to work with.

If you take your focus of of the debacle that has been going on with the MBB Program and just look at everything else that is going on, and just take a small sip of the Kool Aide pct is pushing. You can see that Vowels is inept. Look at WBB, the Titan Club, attendance, the total fan experience and his biggest prize of all the rebrand for which he takes full credit in his bio. The student pop. is increasing and our attendance is decreasing. We send suggestions and offer help and there is no reply and no change. This smugness shows disdain or stupidity. Take your pick, I think both. Going back to Garibaldi again. He hired Vowels and from everything we can see he is fine with RCV's performance or is contributing to the disaster. Vowels seem to act like he has a government job.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 am

upbasketballfan wrote: If you take your focus of of the debacle that has been going on with the MBB Program and just look at everything else that is going on, and just take a small sip of the Kool Aide pct is pushing. You can see that Vowels is inept. Look at WBB, the Titan Club, attendance, the total fan experience and his biggest prize of all the rebrand for which he takes full credit in his bio. The student pop. is increasing and our attendance is decreasing. We send suggestions and offer help and there is no reply and no change. This smugness shows disdain or stupidity. Take your pick, I think both. Going back to Garibaldi again. He hired Vowels and from everything we can see he is fine with RCV's performance or is contributing to the disaster. Vowels seem to act like he has a government job.

Re branding. Vowels does not take credit for the Detroit Mercy rebrand. One goal of his plan is to achieve a consistent athletic department brand across various media channels. His priority was to re-establish a strong radio and TV package and use social media better. I don't think he has succeeded, but he has made improvements in radio-TV.

Re: coaching hires: He did hire the coaches for tennis, soccer and lacrosse which have performed competitively. In WBB, Scott coached all right; and, his team defeated Green Bay at Calihan Hall. Can he recruit to restock the team? We'll know this season. In MBB, Vowels made a mistake hiring BA.

As to whether or not the men's BB program is a debacle. Maybe. Or maybe the debacle is the collective analysis here on the board about the hiring process. We won't know until the product takes the floor next season.

I am in complete agreement that Vowels has not exhibited good communications skills. And this is a very important part of being an AD. It's a customer service business. He has failed in this aspect of his job. If he cannot or will not attempt to improve in this area, then we should look to improve at that position with a replacement.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm

ptctitan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote: If you take your focus of of the debacle that has been going on with the MBB Program and just look at everything else that is going on, and just take a small sip of the Kool Aide pct is pushing. You can see that Vowels is inept. Look at WBB, the Titan Club, attendance, the total fan experience and his biggest prize of all the rebrand for which he takes full credit in his bio. The student pop. is increasing and our attendance is decreasing. We send suggestions and offer help and there is no reply and no change. This smugness shows disdain or stupidity. Take your pick, I think both. Going back to Garibaldi again. He hired Vowels and from everything we can see he is fine with RCV's performance or is contributing to the disaster. Vowels seem to act like he has a government job.

Re branding. Vowels does not take credit for the Detroit Mercy rebrand. One goal of his plan is to achieve a consistent athletic department brand across various media channels. His priority was to re-establish a strong radio and TV package and use social media better. I don't think he has succeeded, but he has made improvements in radio-TV.

Re: coaching hires: He did hire the coaches for tennis, soccer and lacrosse which have performed competitively. In WBB, Scott coached all right; and, his team defeated Green Bay at Calihan Hall. Can he recruit to restock the team? We'll know this season. In MBB, Vowels made a mistake hiring BA.

As to whether or not the men's BB program is a debacle. Maybe. Or maybe the debacle is the collective analysis here on the board about the hiring process. We won't know until the product takes the floor next season.

I am in complete agreement that Vowels has not exhibited good communications skills. And this is a very important part of being an AD. It's a customer service business. He has failed in this aspect of his job. If he cannot or will not attempt to improve in this area, then we should look to improve at that position with a replacement.

In Vowels bio he states that in his 5 yr. plan he intends to build a unified brand. I am interested in your take on that. Also Men's soccer is very average considering we are right in the middle of one of the biggest soccer hot spots in the country. I think when Morris Lupenec was the men's coach the program was much stronger. We have a direct connection with the Vardar players but get just crumbs. We tend to pick up the second and third tier players that the other schools do not recruit. So please do not go with the soccer. Our results and style of play are extremely weak. The Lacrosse program is one of the very few D1 programs in the state so right now we are feeding off of the top and I am still trying to comprehend how we lost in Buffalo. The Women's basketball was a lot worse than the Men's. Our only two wins this year were against UIC. I think we finished last in the very weak Horizon League and there should have been more of an uproar when we were beat by Lawrence Tech which I believe only gives partial scholarships. That loss was worse than the Men's Wayne State loss. The best players Scott has had since he has been here were already here when he arrived. Lets not cherry pick, how about women's golf? Close your eyes if you think we are going to have a decent product take the floor in Men's basketball. That ship has already left port. I admire your view on the program but I am hoping you do not drive a vehicle.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

ptctitan wrote:It's a customer service business.

Its an administrative business first. There is a lot to administer aside from pleasing fans and winning. Unfortunately, given the small size of our department the AD must also be heavily into customer service.

One huge change I have seen from Brad and Keri to Robert is that the people under Robert aren't out there like the people under (no pun intended) Brad and Keri were. Brad didn't have a lot of personality but was decent with most supporters (you can't please everyone). Keri was good with the supporters when she worked for Brad and was great when she was AD, but probably a poor administrator. I can't remember all the people that have passed through the department over the years, but there were many people happy (on the surface) to go out of their way to help you. Daron Montgomery, Glenn Knott, Brandon Longmeier, Greg Haapala, Steve Corder, Mike Miller, for example from the past 15 years or so. There were many others. There were some with shorter tenures who were good too. Currently, Jake and John are good hard working people, but have seemed to taken a step back from fan interactions. But the majority of the department seem completely disconnected from the fan base unlike in the past. Personally, I liked feeling wanted, a part of the family, an insider of sorts. That's what made being a Titan fan so special, and unlike many other schools. It made me want to give. That feeling is completely gone.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 pm

I started this thread so that there would be at least one thread on this site where the same three or four voices weren't bashing everything in sight. Guess that didn't work out.
NC Titan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball