Press Conference

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Press Conference

Postby Shags-DC » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 am

This whole theme of him starting at the top (Indiana) and moving his way down the ladder is kind of funny and humbling. I guess U of D is his last stop, because, let's face it, it's pretty much the bottom of the D-1 barrel at this point. Great hire though! I hope he can get his players to buy in to his philosophy of hard work and struggle and pushing your limits. It will be a great achievement if he is successful! Good luck Coach!
Shags-DC
Senior
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Very interesting to learn that Davis believes in antifragility. Nicholas Nassim Taleb wrote about this concept as it applies to the financial systems. It's a concept that embraces uncertainty and error because from them come improvement. Taleb wrote:

"Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure , risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better."

"The antifragile loves randomness and uncertainty, which also means— crucially—a love of errors, a certain class of errors. Antifragility has a singular property of allowing us to deal with the unknown, to do things without understanding them— and do them well."

"Crucially, if antifragility is the property of all those natural (and complex) systems that have survived, depriving these systems of volatility, randomness, and stressors will harm them. They will weaken, die, or blow up."

I think that our returning 6 or 7 scholarship players may be in for a huge wake-up call. As may a lot of the Titan faithful.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Press Conference

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Very interesting, indeed. Certainly a better philosophy than being a follower of The Secret, which is a branded book and film about the Law of Attraction. Which teaches you that you can just wish and tweet about success and it will just happen. Why will it happen? Just because, that's why! Positive vibes and all. Imagine what a disaster we'd have with a HC with that mindset.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I was impressed at how honest he was about the process and the struggle to leave for UDM. This was more emotional than I thought it would be.

I was surprised to hear he had a personal connection to Vowels as his neighbor a bunch of years ago. Just a reminder to treat your neighbors well.

His son shooting 60K shots in a weekend seemed a bit cruel. I know he had another point to make on that but damn, that's a lot. I vaguely remember hearing Ray Jr did 15K one summer.

His academic stats were impressive and hopefully he brings in a team to keep us at that level.

Kudo's to Vowels for landing him.
Dick Vitale
Senior
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 am

Re: Press Conference

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Dick Vitale wrote:His son shooting 60K shots in a weekend seemed a bit cruel. I know he had another point to make on that but damn, that's a lot. I vaguely remember hearing Ray Jr did 15K one summer.



Was this said in the context of "I believe in hard work. For example, I taught my son to work hard by..." or "My son will be coming with me to Detroit. He's working hard to prepare...."
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Interesting to learn that we had been after Davis since mid-April. And he kept putting us off.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Press Conference

Postby 77-85Titan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Two years ago, I watched BA being introduced and I have to say that I was impressed with his presence and his enthusiasm. How wrong I was. This morning, I watched another introduction and was also impressed. In comparison, Mike Davis appears much more prepared, mature and sure of himself and his abilities. I hope that the players still enrolled buy into his philosophy. Even though I and others have been all over the AD, I must say that I am impressed with this hire and the real potential to bring U-D back to basketball prominence. Good luck Mike.
77-85Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

HSScout1 wrote:
Dick Vitale wrote:His son shooting 60K shots in a weekend seemed a bit cruel. I know he had another point to make on that but damn, that's a lot. I vaguely remember hearing Ray Jr did 15K one summer.



Was this said in the context of "I believe in hard work. For example, I taught my son to work hard by..." or "My son will be coming with me to Detroit. He's working hard to prepare...."


I hope Antoine can qualify academically.

(I also hope that GregE transfers in from Illinois.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

77-85Titan wrote:Two years ago, I watched BA being introduced and I have to say that I was impressed with his presence and his enthusiasm. How wrong I was. This morning, I watched another introduction and was also impressed. In comparison, Mike Davis appears much more prepared, mature and sure of himself and his abilities. I hope that the players still enrolled buy into his philosophy. Even though I and others have been all over the AD, I must say that I am impressed with this hire and the real potential to bring U-D back to basketball prominence. Good luck Mike.

He didn't happen to have a bag of chips or a bird in a cage with him, did he?
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm

From Davis' remarks at the press conference, we learn that he was first approached about the job in mid-April.

From other post-conference interviews, we learn that Bronkema was never offered the job. That McFolley is not transferring and likes the hire. That Davis wants to bring in his entire TX Southern staff. That the contract is for 7 years. And that Davis does not think he will have any trouble filling the open roster spots with good players.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Press Conference

Postby Titans03 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm

ptctitan wrote:From Davis' remarks at the press conference, we learn that he was first approached about the job in mid-April.

From other post-conference interviews, we learn that Bronkema was never offered the job. That McFolley is not transferring and likes the hire. That Davis wants to bring in his entire TX Southern staff. That the contract is for 7 years. And that Davis does not think he will have any trouble filling the open roster spots with good players.
All good things!
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 pm

ptctitan wrote:Very interesting to learn that Davis believes in antifragility. Nicholas Nassim Taleb wrote about this concept as it applies to the financial systems. It's a concept that embraces uncertainty and error because from them come improvement. Taleb wrote:

"Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure , risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better."

"The antifragile loves randomness and uncertainty, which also means— crucially—a love of errors, a certain class of errors. Antifragility has a singular property of allowing us to deal with the unknown, to do things without understanding them— and do them well."

"Crucially, if antifragility is the property of all those natural (and complex) systems that have survived, depriving these systems of volatility, randomness, and stressors will harm them. They will weaken, die, or blow up."

I think that our returning 6 or 7 scholarship players may be in for a huge wake-up call. As may a lot of the Titan faithful.


I'm reading Antifragile by Taleb. Was on my list for a while anyway. Let me know if you want to start a book club, ptc.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Press Conference

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am

tacitus - let me know when you finish Antifragile. Taleb can be tedious to read.

Antifragile is not a concept unique to Taleb. The film Unbreakable examines the fragile and antifragile - but from a static basis. Samuel L Jackson's character was fragile from birth due to disease. Bruce Willis' character was antifragile. The Sci-Fi series Babylon 5 also examined two competing visions for developing strength and success - one from order and discipline; the other from challenge and testing the limits.

When Vowels said that Davis used that term to explain his coaching philosophy, I was both surprised (pleasantly) and more interested in how Davis coaches his players. I learned there may be a lot more depth to this coach than just W's and L's - X's and O's. The fact that Josh craves this type of coach is also very positive.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am


Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

cron