Curry

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Curry

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 am

Does anyone who went to the Toledo game or watch it have any comments on the play of Harrison Curry? I know it was a terrible game, but what will he bring to us? Just curious, thanks.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Re: Curry

Postby TerryTylerFan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:48 pm

I missed quite a bit due to live streaming trouble, but did see some good things from him. He should help in the Horizon League, a big body we need. Looked strong, smart and can attack the basket. Was surprised to see that he only got 3 rebounds, I must have seen all 3. He shot 1-5 from 3 (only saw one), but the fact that he took 5 maybe says that Coach has confidence in his shot?
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes from the box score I wondered about the number of 3s and whether he is more of and inside presence or perimeter player because I think we need some bulk and rebounding unless he’s so good that he can do both? Thanks TTF.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:48 pm

My impression was he has the potential to play bigger than the 6’7” he is listed at. Not to say he’s comparable to Hogan, but Hogan was listed at 6’7”. I thought Curry seemed to be in good shape and was running quite well for a guy his size. Coach did the right thing throwing him in the deep end and starting him the second he became eligible - Curry could make or break us in many HL games.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:51 pm

With regards to playing time for our front court players; I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of the following:

Curry ..... 30 minutes
Blackshear ..... 20
Brandon ..... 20
Nguidjol ..... 10
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 pm

titandave wrote:With regards to playing time for our front court players; I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of the following:

Curry ..... 30 minutes
Blackshear ..... 20
Brandon ..... 20
Nguidjol ..... 10

Are you benching Cole or counting him as guard / swingman?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 pm

NC Titan wrote:
titandave wrote:With regards to playing time for our front court players; I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of the following:

Curry ..... 30 minutes
Blackshear ..... 20
Brandon ..... 20
Nguidjol ..... 10

Are you benching Cole or counting him as guard / swingman?

I believe Long is most effective playing as a Swingman. As the season progresses; it will be interesting to see how playing time at that position is allocated between Cole and Derrien King.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:53 am

titandave wrote:I believe Long is most effective playing as a Swingman. As the season progresses; it will be interesting to see how playing time at that position is allocated between Cole and Derrien King.

IMO, Long is too slow to play effectively as a swingman. He can defend all right in the center of the zone. Coach Davis appears to use him at the 5 where his outside shot and passing can help on offense. But he is too slow to play 3. And slower than King at the 4. Neither King nor Long are especially strong at rebounding, but Cole will hustle out there.

Don't know if Curry plays bigger than his height. Yet to be determined. He did get blocked on a lay-up by Toledo's big. But he does give us width as a rebounder. However, vs Toledo, he was used mainly as a driver. And he took some 3's. He played a lot on the perimeter. Curry is quicker than many opponents he will face.

At TXSo, Davis' teams liked to drive the basket and score a lot from the foul line. Curry seems like a player who can do that plus hit the occasional 3 to keep his defender from laying off too far. His width also could make him useful on a high screen to free Antoine, Josh, or King for open 3 point shots.

We'll see what changes are disclosed in our play at home vs Ohio one week from today. Looking forward to it.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 am

One of the TxSU players a lot of us had our eyes on when the Davis signing was announced was Trayvon Reed.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ayvon-reed

Until we get a true big like that we are always going to be disadvantaged when playing tough non-con games. Reed was instrumental in TxSU’s win over Oregon. Maybe we don’t need a 7’2” guy like Reed, but we need an aggressive guy who plays above his height. Thompson at EMU is a great example. I think Curry will rebound well in HL play, but eventually we will need a true big to give us a shot to beat a Butler/Dayton. As noted, Curry was hanging around the perimeter a lot and hoisted a 3. Someone needs to step up and play inside. I think Blackshear will have a good HL season but he will have bad nights and he can’t play more than 25 most nights even when he’s on.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:04 pm

ptctitan wrote:IMO, Long is too slow to play effectively as a swingman. He can defend all right in the center of the zone. Coach Davis appears to use him at the 5 where his outside shot and passing can help on offense. But he is too slow to play 3. And slower than King at the 4. Neither King nor Long are especially strong at rebounding, but Cole will hustle out there.

Cole was one of our better, if not our best, shot blockers last season. His best shot (this season, from what little I've seen) is a threat to drive where he gets to do a pull-up 10- to 15-foot jumper. And he's a decent rebounder, always seeming to be in the right place.

tacitus651 wrote:I think Curry will rebound well in HL play, but eventually we will need a true big to give us a shot to beat a Butler/Dayton. As noted, Curry was hanging around the perimeter a lot and hoisted a 3.

We get killed in the paint. Check the stats on the last four games. The other team pretty much scores at will, and we get very few points. Until we get a big guy, or until Blackshear or Nguidjol takes charge, Curry needs to play inside. Isiani, when he is eligible, will be another tall outside shooter.

It's tough when your best inside player is a 6-foot-7 guard/forward.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 pm

NC Titan wrote:Cole was one of our better, if not our best, shot blockers last season. His best shot (this season, from what little I've seen) is a threat to drive where he gets to do a pull-up 10- to 15-foot jumper. And he's a decent rebounder, always seeming to be in the right place...

It's tough when your best inside player is a 6-foot-7 guard/forward.

All good points. If you look at last year's stats, our best shot blocker was Isaiah Jones who achieved his 18 blocks in 15 games. Cole Long had the most blocks for us last year; but it took him 30 games to achieve 21 blocks. This year, I think that Cole can do well against certain match-ups; e.g., his work against EMU. However, against smaller teams with fast players at every position; e.g., Dayton, Cole will not do as well. And, my comments above were simply in reply to Cole as a swingman as opposed to playing the 4 or 5 spot.

Our best shotblocker so far this year is Chris Brandon with 10 blocks in 10 games played. That's a better per game rate than Cole last year, but not quite as prolific as Isaiah Jones last year.

I agree with your last comment. It's not that we need a 7'2" player like Trayvon Reed; but we do need a 6'8" or taller player with some rebounding chops who will and can defend the middle of the zone. We may be developing two in Brandon and Boe Nguidjol. But for this year, so far, Blackshear has been inconsistent. Hopefully, he can have a strong second to his senior year like Carlton Brundidge did in 2015-16.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm

NC Titan wrote:We get killed in the paint. Check the stats on the last four games. The other team pretty much scores at will, and we get very few points. Until we get a big guy, or until Blackshear or Nguidjol takes charge, Curry needs to play inside. Isiani, when he is eligible, will be another tall outside shooter. It's tough when your best inside player is a 6-foot-7 guard/forward.

I'm surprised Blackshear hasn't been more effective this season. There have been periods of time when he's played very well then on other occasions he's a non factor.
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

titandave wrote:
NC Titan wrote:We get killed in the paint. Check the stats on the last four games. The other team pretty much scores at will, and we get very few points. Until we get a big guy, or until Blackshear or Nguidjol takes charge, Curry needs to play inside. Isiani, when he is eligible, will be another tall outside shooter. It's tough when your best inside player is a 6-foot-7 guard/forward.

I'm surprised Blackshear hasn't been more effective this season. There have been periods of time when he's played very well then on other occasions he's a non factor.

I don't like to rip on players, and I don't mean this as a rip on Blackshear, but merely to realistically discuss what he is. I've been surprised for nearly 4 years now by how many people seem to think Blackshear should be producing a lot more. Blackshear is a mid-major, back-up role player. I don't mean that as an insult--that's a really good basketball player, and no team has 10 stars. But a back-up role player is what Blackshear is.

Out of Detroit Western, he was ranked #17 in the class by Steve Bell, #21 by Prep Spotlight, #14 by the Detroit News, #25 by the Freep. He was "only" an AP honorable mention all-state player in Class B. That's a really good high school player, a worthwhile offer for a mid-major D1 program, but not a likely collegiate star. The only other D1 offer I'm aware of was from VMI. Almost certainly he would have had more had he not committed to UD in the early signing period, but still, that's indicative of his recruitment.

At UD, he's averaged 4.1 points and 4.0 rebounds in 15 minutes per game as a freshman; 6.0 and 4.0 in 17 minutes as a soph; and 2.6 and 2.8 in 10 minutes as a junior. He has never been able to stay out of foul trouble, averaging more than 1 foul for every 6 minutes of floor time all 3 years. Gerald has no scoring range and he's a very poor foul shooter, meaning he doesn't capitalize as much as he might even when he gets the ball in the block (though he is a very high percentage shooter, even given the limited range). And he's not really all that big, as these things go, being listed at 6-9, 220. Most people he's up against are taller, heavier, stronger, or some combination of the 3. Rarely does he operate without a size disadvantage.

I would say that Gerald is what he is, and he is not going to add to what we've already seen over 3 years. I don't think there is any reason to think that he can step it up to another level in HL play. This isn't to rip on him. Blackshear is a valuable rotation member of this team, and probably would be for any other Horizon team or any MAC team. He's a good player. We need him. From what I can see he never complains and always gives his all. But the fact that we've had to push him into a starting role--indeed, as the key big--just indicates the weakness of our team the last few years. He's a solid back-up forward. It's a team game, and that's a valuable member of the team. But he's not really more than that.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 am

Commissioner - all fair points about #25.

Here is more explanation on how I view the issue. For this season, Blackshear is our only experienced post player. He is also the tallest player on our roster. He hustles. He is quick for an HL big. He's a good passer. The one big missing piece of our roster puzzle this year is a strong, solid post player. #25 missed 12 games last year due to injury. My hope is that he remains healthy and that his age, experience, and more minutes played translate into a strong finish for him this season. Perhaps in tandem with Curry, he can be more effective since Curry will take up space under the basket as a rebounder. This year, Gerald has a better chance of being an effective post player for us than Cole Long - that's my only point.

If you recall, two years ago under Bacari, Blackshear ran an effective high-low game with Hogan with good passing from the high post. Unfortunately, last year, both of these players did not play in most of the HL season. Maybe this year, we can install that wrinkle in our offense to use Curry on the low block against an undersized third guard or 4-man. The absence of stronger post-play is what separates us from the better teams. It doesn't have to be great post-play. Just better than we've seen to date. Hoping that Blackshear can produce a stronger second half is not the same thing as ripping him for under-performance.

Better interior play (post-play) frees up space for our outside jump shooters. It opens up lanes for driving. It can get the other team in foul trouble. It can reduce the number of second-chance points for our opponents and increase the number of our second-chance points. The HL non-conference results against common opponents proves that even with our lack of a solid inside game, we are not that far away from being able to challenge for the conference title or the tournament crown. A few steps forward on the interior by our payers there could be the difference that puts us in strong contention.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:14 pm

ptctitan wrote:Commissioner - all fair points about #25.

Here is more explanation on how I view the issue. For this season, Blackshear is our only experienced post player. He is also the tallest player on our roster. He hustles. He is quick for an HL big. He's a good passer. The one big missing piece of our roster puzzle this year is a strong, solid post player. #25 missed 12 games last year due to injury. My hope is that he remains healthy and that his age, experience, and more minutes played translate into a strong finish for him this season. Perhaps in tandem with Curry, he can be more effective since Curry will take up space under the basket as a rebounder. This year, Gerald has a better chance of being an effective post player for us than Cole Long - that's my only point.

If you recall, two years ago under Bacari, Blackshear ran an effective high-low game with Hogan with good passing from the high post. Unfortunately, last year, both of these players did not play in most of the HL season. Maybe this year, we can install that wrinkle in our offense to use Curry on the low block against an undersized third guard or 4-man. The absence of stronger post-play is what separates us from the better teams. It doesn't have to be great post-play. Just better than we've seen to date. Hoping that Blackshear can produce a stronger second half is not the same thing as ripping him for under-performance.

Better interior play (post-play) frees up space for our outside jump shooters. It opens up lanes for driving. It can get the other team in foul trouble. It can reduce the number of second-chance points for our opponents and increase the number of our second-chance points. The HL non-conference results against common opponents proves that even with our lack of a solid inside game, we are not that far away from being able to challenge for the conference title or the tournament crown. A few steps forward on the interior by our payers there could be the difference that puts us in strong contention.

I'm anxious to see how Blackshear and Curry are utilized when they're on the court together. That being said, I agree with your point; Blackshear will be more effective when in tandem with Curry.

As a starting line up; I would like to see how this group performs.

PG ... Davis
SG ... McFolley
SF ... King
PF ... Curry
C .... Blackshear
titandave
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball