Horizon vs MAAC

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you rather be in the HL or MAAC?

HL
43%
MAAC
57%

Total votes : 14

Horizon vs MAAC

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Up until last night, I was more or less fine remaining in HL until we got our crap together. After the WSU game and watching the hard foul on AD again today, I’m just fed up. The Love play wasn’t a flagrant but it’s the nonstop lack of calls and culture of anything goes that tell a player like that that hard street ball plays are ok.

This is a garbage league in administration, leadership, marketing, fairness, academics, you name it. I think we should just leave. I’m not naive enough to think A-10 or Valley would consider us. And I’m not interested in joining Summit which is just Horizon League West. I think we should explore the MAAC and just eat the travel costs if they let us be #12. I’d rather fly to Iona and play sportsman like games in their HS gym than drive 20 minutes to Oakland and play on their HS gym blacktop against transfer criminals. Or travel to Dayoton, OH and play a basketball team playing like it’s a football team. And that represents a school where they currently don’t even have classes and have a 97% acceptance rate. Garbage all around.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Horizon vs MAAC

Postby TitanONeill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Agreed. Get out of the HL. Nothing to gain. Plus we would be with other private institutions. And we are MAAC for lacrosse. Let's make this reality.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am

Not voting for either of these conferences. I don't think are coaching style of not playing dirty will benefit us in either conference.
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 am

Aside from the officials, it seems like we would align better with the Catholic and private schools in the MAAC. Can the Athletic department afford the travel cost of away games on the East Coast? Geographically we seem to be in the middle of the Horizon League.

We should move conferences if the level of competition improves to a level like the A10 or The Valley. At this point we need to play better and win the HL to improve our stock value. Kind of what Butler did moving to Big East.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

First get better. Maybe another year or two. Then get even better. Maybe 3 or 4 years. Then sustain it, taking us out 5 or 6 years. See the city improve, especially Liv 6. See the school’s enrollment and endowment go up in those same 5 - 6 years. Then leave, for the A10!
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm

We ought to aim higher than the MAAC - especially since it uses the same officiating coordinator as the HL.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I would love to move up to another conference, however, we can forget about moving to any other conference...except the GLIAC or the Wolverine Hoosier Athletic Conference. Our best chance to move up was in the 1980's and again in the late 1990's. I believe the school was going broke in the 80's and Kinsman was too cheap. We had another chance in the late 1990's but we didnt take advantage of it. In my opinion, the school should've focused on growth and the endowment when the motor city was booming in the 1940's and 50's, but thats a civic lesson that I dont care to rehash. In 2019, I think we should focus on becoming the "Gonzaga" of the Horizon League...then maybe we will get our chance to move on and up.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Big DWSU » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Lol. You are making a large assumption that the MAAC would want you.
Big DWSU
Sophmore

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Big DWSU wrote:Lol. You are making a large assumption that the MAAC would want you.

Nope, I clearly said “if they let us be #12.” It’s ok. I know you can’t read well and I’m sorry you didn’t have the test scores or money to go to Dayton.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball