Wright State

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Wright State

Postby NC Titan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 pm

It's obvious that Antoine takes a beating in our games, that along with tight box-and-one guarding (an obvious defensive tactic) he gets clobbered while moving through the other team's defense both with and without the ball. Looks like hockey some games. And while the refs are calling ticky-tack fouls and spending a lot of time reviewing fouls in the paint (even the WSU announcers last night commented on the number of video reviews) they are ignoring the muggings that many other teams are using to slow down Antoine. A team that employs those tactics as its defensive strategy should pay for it by having starters foul out early and often.

The league office should be reprimanding and suspending refs who are letting this go on and having a word of prayer with coaches and ADs about fair play and sportsmanship and why we have intercollegiate sports.

The culture at some schools where a coach turns a blind eye to sportsmanship and encourages or even just ignores dirty play is a stain on that school and that coach. The ADs, the schools and the league should show some cojones and remember that collegiate sports is about molding kids into good people and not teaching them how close they can cut corners to win at all costs. That's a bad life lesson. The best coaches are the ones who sit and suspend or even toss players who bend the rules of good behavior. And if the coaches don't do it and the AD doesn't do it, the league should.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:35 pm

The hand checking and grabbing has been ridiculous for a few weeks now, but this was a new low. I didn’t get a clear look at the foot stomp (but don’t doubt it at all), but the ESPN+ feed did show one replay where the hip check was so clearly intentional, and dangerous, that I was surprised he wasn’t ejected after the replay. Maybe the rule calls for ejection for contact at or above the shoulders only, and if so it should be changed. He went for a block and then twisted unnaturally and violently into a defenseless airborne Antoine. I hope Antoine is OK, this could have been much worse. Not holding my breath, but hopefully this will wake somebody up and lead to some immediate changes in how league games are officiated.
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Big DWSU » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm

ptctitan wrote:It appeared to our coaches that Love had stepped on Antoine's chest with his right heel after the play was over. That is why Coach Davis was so mad. From the TV, it looked like Coach Davis was directing some choice words at Love.

Re-watch the video you conspiracy theory idiot. It's available on ESPN. Love didn't step on your boy. 2 of your own players landed on him after the play.
Big DWSU
Freshman

Postby ptctitan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Let me be even more specific about the thuggery practiced at the Nutter by Wright State. And permitted by the HL's coordinator of officials, Michael Kitts.

In the first game of the HL season, UIC played Wright St at the Nutter. With about 12 minutes left in the game, Loudon Love wiped out a UIC rebounder after he missed a lay-up. He then proceeded to step on the UIC player while he was laying on the ground. This did not sit well with the UIC players on the court and a fracas ensued. This occurred under the basket in front of Wright State's bench. As tempers flared, an assistant UIC coach and three players left the bench and walked on the court, but never went beyond half court. They wanted to see what was happening.

The teams were separated. Love was charged with a foul and a technical foul for stepping on the UIC player. But the referees also ejected three UIC players from the game for leaving the bench - even though they never intervened in anything on the court. One of those players was Boahen, an important guard on the flames. Love was not ejected.

The referee in charge of that fiasco was Michael Kitts, the HL's coordinator of officials who was also one of the 3 officials in that game.

How many opposing players must Love step on before the HL recognizes there may be a culture problem in the Nutter? How many of our top players (Chatman, McFolley & Davis) must be injured by intentional acts committed by Wright State players in a 12 month span before the HL recognizes there may be a problem in the Nutter?

Love knows exactly what he is doing. Ask Steve McLain and UIC about that incident in the first game of the conference season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Big DWSU wrote:
ptctitan wrote:It appeared to our coaches that Love had stepped on Antoine's chest with his right heel after the play was over. That is why Coach Davis was so mad. From the TV, it looked like Coach Davis was directing some choice words at Love.

Re-watch the video you conspiracy theory idiot. It's available on ESPN. Love didn't step on your boy. 2 of your own players landed on him after the play.

Ah, the hallmark of the Wright State culture - "If it's not on the video that we control and produce, then we didn't do it."

I was repeating what our assistant coach said he saw from their vantage point on our bench. Love stepped on him just like he stepped on the UIC player earlier this season. And that was on video - clear as day. Finally, quit the racist commentary about Antoine.
Last edited by ptctitan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:12 pm

How’s the utterly embarrassing faculty strike going for you guys, BigD?

I’ve really enjoyed reading you idiots cry on your own board about what a cluster#*@& this all is. You’re right about it, though. It’s a category 5 hurricane $#*@ storm and the consequences will bring down your sub regional public university eventually. Congratulations, you’re on the way to being the country’s largest community college!

Can’t wait until the state of Ohio has to seize authority and appoint someone to take over.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

Big DWSU wrote:

While I can appreciate your passion, I find it unnecessary to come to the board and call a fan an idiot. Might I suggest you have what they call a different opinion, tone it down.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am

titanmike wrote:
Big DWSU wrote:

While I can appreciate your passion, I find it unnecessary to come to the board and call a fan an idiot. Might I suggest you have what they call a different opinion, tone it down.

+3
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm

The faculty strike at WSU seems to be reaching an end. The faculty can go back to teaching 5+5 course loads for nominal pay and crappy healthcare, and the students can resume their McEducations. I guess the MBB team will have less time to practice their dirty plays now.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Big DWSU » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm

ptctitan wrote:I was repeating what our assistant coach said he saw from their vantage point on our bench. Love stepped on him just like he stepped on the UIC player earlier this season. And that was on video - clear as day. Finally, quit the racist commentary about Antoine.

I don't really give a crap what the opinion of your assistant coach was when his vantage point was from the other side of the court from where the play took place and he didn't have the benefit of seeing the replay. They showed the replay from 2 camera angles on the broadcast and they showed it in slow motion at one point. the slow motion replay was from a camera that was literally 5 feet away from the play. Love didn't step on your boy.

Love did get into a fight in the UIC game. He was T'd up for it and ended up fouling out of the game. Love was pissed off in that game and lost his cool because he is one of the most fouled guy in the HL that doesn't get any calls because of his size. He routinely has 2-3 guys jumping on him every time he touches the ball and rarely gets a call. The only thing in your discussion in this thread that I agree with is that HL refs suck. If this was the HL back when Butler was in the HL, Love would be shooting 15 FTs a game. Antoine would be shooting a ton of FTs a game. The HL refs are wildly inconsistent. They either call games really tight or more often they let teams play way too physical.

ptctitan wrote: Finally, quit the racist commentary about Antoine.

You think I'm racist because I called Antoine your boy. I call my players my boys all of the time. If you have been to any HL message board in the last 15 years you can find thousands of posts from me saying that. If you still think I'm racist I can send you a picture of my black a**.
Big DWSU
Freshman

Postby ptctitan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 am

Big DWSU -

The TV does not prove or disprove your opinion because the other Titan players on the floor obscured Davis from the baseline camera's view. You can see Love's shoe enter the frame and exit the frame behind those players. That is why, in my first post about the matter, I said the TV replays were inconclusive.

And why would Love walk over Davis anyway when he could have just backed up and walked away from the pile? Instead, he chose to walk through it and over Davis.

Love does not merit the benefit of the doubt here because he caused the fight with UIC by stepping on their player after he (Love) shoved the UIC player to the floor from behind. Love should be disciplined by the league as a repeat stomper.

As between you and the assistant coach, I believe my coach.
ptctitan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball