2019 Recruiting thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2019 Recruiting thread

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 am

Commissioner wrote:
titanmike wrote:Pittsburgh guard Malik Ellison is leaving the program, grad transfer. Wasn’t he on the Titans radar?

No. This Malik Ellison is a 6-6, grad transfer shooting guard from Philadelphia. You're thinking of Malik Ellison, a 5-8 rising junior at Eastern Michigan. The Titans showed some interest in the latter but I don't believe made an offer.
\

Damn, I knew this and didn't get back to correct in time, lol. However would be nice to get him, lol.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:02 pm

I think the law school students should get their heads out of their books and lobby for us to get Justice Sueing, a good scorer from Cal-Berkeley, who has decided to transfer now that Cal has hired a new coach. We tried to smoke him out this past season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:19 pm

ptctitan wrote:I think the law school students should get their heads out of their books and lobby for us to get Justice Sueing, a good scorer from Cal-Berkeley, who has decided to transfer now that Cal has hired a new coach. We tried to smoke him out this past season.

:lol:
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am

One week to LOI day. Any rumors? Any sightings of tall muscular visitors on campus?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:10 pm

"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

NC Titan wrote:One week to LOI day. Any rumors? Any sightings of tall muscular visitors on campus?

Despite Tacitus651's lame attempt at humor, LOI day doesn't mean what it used to, especially with Mike Davis. The grad transfers do not sign LOI's. The process will now drag into the summer, kind of a game of musical chairs. Some will be wanting to go P5. However, they may wait to find the best offer. The longer waiting my hurt their cause and they could drop to mid-majors. Unless we sign all freshmen, I would be shocked if we have a roster by the end of the LOI period.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Jaleel Thomas is coming. And now the off season has started
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:19 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Jaleel Thomas is coming. And now the off season has started

Do you mean Jalen Thomas? And on what is this based?
Last edited by Commissioner on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 am

Commissioner wrote:

Do you Jalen Thomas? And on what is this based?

According to Verbal Commits, Thomas has been granted a release from his UMass LOI.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:00 am

NC Titan wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

According to Verbal Commits, Thomas has been granted a release from his UMass LOI.

But what about Jaleel Thomas? And assuming he meant Jalen, what is the basis for saying he's coming to Detroit? There are lots of unsigned players who aren't going to end up at UD.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 am

MotownTitan wrote:
NC Titan wrote:One week to LOI day. Any rumors? Any sightings of tall muscular visitors on campus?

Despite Tacitus651's lame attempt at humor, LOI day doesn't mean what it used to, especially with Mike Davis. The grad transfers do not sign LOI's. The process will now drag into the summer, kind of a game of musical chairs. Some will be wanting to go P5. However, they may wait to find the best offer. The longer waiting my hurt their cause and they could drop to mid-majors. Unless we sign all freshmen, I would be shocked if we have a roster by the end of the LOI period.

I would be shocked if we aren't still recruiting/signing players well into the month of August.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 am

Commissioner wrote:

Could be based upon the same source that told us previously that Greg E was a done deal here. ;)

Recently, U. Mass got a commitment from a highly regarded center against whom Jalen Thomas would have had to compete for playing time. When tweeting about his decision to reopen his recruiting, Thomas talked about looking for a better opportunity elsewhere. I hope he finds it.

At 12 noon yesterday, the last window for on-campus visits opened. It ends Monday night. Then, there is a dead period until next Friday.

On-campus visits were permitted all through March. From April 1-3, it was a quiet period during which only on-campus contact could occur between a coach and player. From April 4 to 12 noon yesterday, it was a dead period in recruiting during which no on-campus visits or in-person contact of any kind are permitted.

I would expect that we would have some official or unofficial visits from recruits this weekend.

President Garibaldi let slip on TV in late March that we had received a verbal commitment from a second player. We have Jamal Pink already signed to an LOI in November. I agree that we may not have the entire recruiting class filled out until May or June. Davis is looking for some experience in the form of transfers. Often, the transcripts for these players do not prove final qualification until May or June. And we may take 1 or 2 on spec that they qualify over the summer. This could also be the case if we are looking at other European players.

Finally, given that this signing period overlaps the Easter holiday, there may not be a formal press release until next week.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:02 am

Commissioner wrote:

Sorry Commissioner I got a little excited typing Jalen on the keyboard and the thought of him playing with the team. I am sorry I do not have any insider info on this. I just have a feeling after he posted on tweeter that he was pulling out of UMass to explore other options after discussing it with his family. It also mentioned Coach Davis, Warren and McCall for recruiting him for the past year.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Sorry Commissioner I got a little excited typing Jalen on the keyboard and the thought of him playing with the team. I am sorry I do not have any insider info on this. I just have a feeling after he posted on tweeter that he was pulling out of UMass to explore other options after discussing it with his family. It also mentioned Coach Davis, Warren and McCall for recruiting him for the past year.

Rasheen Davis and Cliff Warren were assistant coaches at U. Mass who were fired by head coach Matt McCall on about March 18th.

https://www.gazettenet.com/Coaching-shake-up-Matt-McCall-relieves-three-UMass-assistants-of-duties-24229690
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am

ptctitan wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:Sorry Commissioner I got a little excited typing Jalen on the keyboard and the thought of him playing with the team. I am sorry I do not have any insider info on this. I just have a feeling after he posted on tweeter that he was pulling out of UMass to explore other options after discussing it with his family. It also mentioned Coach Davis, Warren and McCall for recruiting him for the past year.

Rasheen Davis and Cliff Warren were assistant coaches at U. Mass who were fired by head coach Matt McCall on about March 18th.

https://www.gazettenet.com/Coaching-shake-up-Matt-McCall-relieves-three-UMass-assistants-of-duties-24229690

I think you can hear the air being let out of my balloon
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:I think you can hear the air being let out of my balloon

According to verbalcommits, we have offered Caleb Hunter of UD Jesuit. Who knows about Jalen Thomas? He could end up in the running here. However, like many local players who are not offered by UM or MSU, the mid-major grass seems greener to them outside of the State of Michigan.

I think that we have to step back from the traditional mindset that we must recruit the local talent in order to succeed. I think it is most important to try and help the team become a destination for good recruits by upgrading the team's resources and then gradually increasing attendance at the home games. That requires donations and encouraging attendance. Then, the better local players will not look outside Michigan if they are not offered by the two big in-state public universities.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Former Northwestern G Jordan Ash (RS JR) has received an offer from Detroit. Grad transfer with one year to play. verbalcommits.com/players/jordan

He’s 6-3. A story from a week ago when he announced he was leaving NU:

https://www.insidenu.com/2019/3/30/1828 ... is-collins
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Wow, the Hauser brothers are leaving Marquette. Transfers now up to 632 thats almost 14% of all D1 scholar ship players. Its insane!
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm

1975SHjoe wrote:Wow, the Hauser brothers are leaving Marquette. Transfers now up to 632 thats almost 14% of all D1 scholar ship players. Its insane!

This seems absurd. The team coach is the guy who recruited them. They play on a team that was ranked in the top 10 this year, and has everybody back, including Markus Howard, who passed on the draft. They'll be ranked next year and a favorite to win the Big East--the "too early" polls are all putting Marquette in the top 10 for next year. They play virtually all their home games before sellout crowds, and play regularly against nationally ranked competition in one of the best leagues in the country. Both get plenty of PT--they're the stars of the team, along with Howard. They're close to home. Marquette has luxurious player facilities and support. I'm curious as to what they are looking for.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Signing period starts at midnight.
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball