Roundball Luncheon scheduled for September 11

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Roundball Luncheon scheduled for September 11

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am

I know it’s a few weeks off, but thought I would post the below info now in case some may want to save the date on their calendar.

Detroit Mercy Titan Athletics will host the first Round Ball Luncheon of the 2019-2020 season on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at noon in Calihan Hall’s Ed & Brooks Room. Athletic Director Robert Vowels will provide a department update along with team previews from several of our coaches.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Roundball Luncheon scheduled for September 11

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

A few more details on the luncheon can be found at this website link:

https://detroittitans.com/news/2019/8/2 ... pt-11.aspx
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Lot of excitement about the lights at Titan Field. Coach Davis spoke that all of his players have put up 10,000 or more shots in the previous week. AD put up 30,000. Buying two more machine for shooting drills. I think he said that will make a total of 7.

he said that he expects two foreign players to join the team. The cutoff date is Sept. 18, if they miss that date because their national team has yet to release them, they will be eligible for the second half of the season.
He did say one is 6"11 the other 7 foot.

He told me he expects AD to be a 4 year player. Ad's weight is currently 161 up from his freshman year of 145.

Titan club sponsoring a bus trip to Notre Dame for $50.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby bobonthebus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Good move starting a few bus trips again - now I can be bobbackonthebus - missed those.
bobonthebus
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Coach also stressed how great U-D is academically and if we can just improve the dorms, the overall facilities, Calihan Hall so that student athletes are not turned off by the physical buildings, we can become the next Gonzaga.

Vowels said there is a $5 million plan laid out in pieces by Davis that will be the road to the top. Things mentioned: a full kitchen in Calihan with a top chef to cook healthy meals for the athletes, locker room improvements for several teams, turning the soccer field into a stadium (now that it has lights) and building a new 8 lane track that can be used for meets. A bubble on the old baseball field that can be used for winter training by the minor sports, etc. What else am I missing, guys?

Coach also said this is where he wants to be...don't believe the b.s. you read. He said he doesn't know how good the players might be but they are working their butts off and there is better chemistry. Also heard that Miller will be eligible.

Vowels said that for the first time in his 6 years, every student athlete at U-D wants to be here, and that makes coaching so much easier.

I was impressed by Nick Deren. He enjoyed speaking and said alot about where his team was last year (not good) and where they are now (doing better) and what they have gone through to get this far. Davis even said he has watched the mens soccer team and is impressed with how hard they work.

There was much more. Chime in everyone. Lots of enthusiasm. The administrators all said we have the best set of employees in the Program that we've had in a long time, and it's just a matter of money now to turn this around.

The Pres also spoke. He said the Campaign is at $105 million now. We have 530 new freshman, a slight increase over last year's class. More applicants than ever. Getting 'em to pick U-D seems to be the challenge.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Coach D said he did not want to play exhibition games in the preseason. He said he would dip into his own pocket and make a contribution to Detroit Public Schools in an amount equivalent to what the benefit game with Wayne St. generated last year. He also said whatever income his basketball camps made this year, he would donate those dollars to efforts to upgrade locker room facilities for soccer. Davis said the team would be scrimmaging Michigan.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks to all for the updates! I am out of town and had to miss it, sounds like it was a good one. Lots to be excited about!
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pm

1. It seems that Coach D for Davis and Coach D for Deren are bonding. Good. Basketball is the top dog at UDM, but getting attention for and sharing the stage with other sports is important in building the overall visibility of the Athletics program.

2. I appreciate Coach Davis' generosity. The Athletics Department is always asking for money, and having a high visibility figure like Coach D pitch in makes it easier for all of the rest of us to contribute, too. Tom, please clarify: Did Vowels say there is a $5 million plan or that identified needs will cost $5 million? In other words, is it funded?

3. I understand that the applications for the graduate programs are up pretty much across the board, that there are something like ten applicants for every spot in Dental and Business grad programs.

(Side point: As I look through the bios of the students on the athletics roster is impressive to see so many of them in the five-year MBA program, in engineering and biology and nursing programs. This is a group of true STUDENT-athletes that we can be proud of. Coach Deren told me at the Clemson soccer match that the team is Top 5 in GPA for soccer programs in the nation. Not Top 5%, but Top 5.)

4. Nice to see some height coming in to complement AD. And nice to see that AD wants to play three more seasons, as that will attract more talent.

Thanks to those who recounted the luncheon. I'm getting excited, too. See y'all at Homecoming.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 am

NC Titan - I was not at the luncheon, but I have been aware of this plan for a couple of months. The $5 million is not funded yet. I understand that details and a formal launch will be coming later this year. Meanwhile, some of the smaller things on the list are already being funded by donations; e.g., the 5 new shooting machines (total cost about $30K) added since May to bring the team's total to 7. There are others. This amount would be in addition to the Titan Field project. If we want to improve our program and raise our profile in men's BB, then we should commit to raise the $5 million. Importantly, the university is now coming around to accepting the data from other Catholic universities that a strong flagship sport increases overall applications for full-time undergraduate student slots. More applications mean more revenue. So, there can be an actual return on this investment versus treating athletics as if it were merely an extracurricular activity. There is momentum building for this project.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

This is all awesome news! I wish I was there. I also believe that the continued improvements in the neighborhood, Liv6, Avenue of Fashion, etc will help as well.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am

ptctitan wrote:NC Titan - I was not at the luncheon, but I have been aware of this plan for a couple of months. The $5 million is not funded yet. I understand that details and a formal launch will be coming later this year. Meanwhile, some of the smaller things on the list are already being funded by donations; e.g., the 5 new shooting machines (total cost about $30K) added since May to bring the team's total to 7. There are others. This amount would be in addition to the Titan Field project. If we want to improve our program and raise our profile in men's BB, then we should commit to raise the $5 million. Importantly, the university is now coming around to accepting the data from other Catholic universities that a strong flagship sport increases overall applications for full-time undergraduate student slots. More applications mean more revenue. So, there can be an actual return on this investment versus treating athletics as if it were merely an extracurricular activity. There is momentum building for this project.

I expect the school is exploring the opportunity for sponsorships and ad revenue from the soccer / lacrosse field. And if the basketball program builds some momentum there could be a some potential for ads inside Calihan.

I heard that the PGA tournament over the summer generated a decent amount of $$$ in ticket sales for the UDM hospitality suite. The tournament has, I think, at least two more years and many of the suite and event ticket purchasers signed up for next year.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm

The elephant in the room is will the post season ban hold or not. If it does how will that effect things?
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:56 pm

titanmike wrote:The elephant in the room is will the post season ban hold or not. If it does how will that effect things?

How do you mean? If it holds, we are ineligible for postseason competition. Davis had a similar situation at Texas Southern. It motivated his team to go out and win the SWAC regular season title.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm

ptctitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:The elephant in the room is will the post season ban hold or not. If it does how will that effect things?

How do you mean? If it holds, we are ineligible for postseason competition. Davis had a similar situation at Texas Southern. It motivated his team to go out and win the SWAC regular season title.

How do I mean? I mean it hasn't been overturned yet and was told we should have some hope, am I right?
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm

It won't be decided by the NCAA until after the new school for the Dakota Duo submits its final roster census showing these two players on it. Then, the NCAA will take whatever time it wants to take to decide it. As long as it is decided in our favor before the HL tournament starts, we can play. The NCAA Committee could decide to recalculate our APR without the need to file an appeal or a request for waiver. I would not expect news about this before November. The NCAA is not known for its speedy review process.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Surprisingly, Coach did not seem that up tight about it. He stated he had told the team that it is what it is and out of their control. This year is a step in a journey to the top, so it was not going to interfere with Coaches plan to get us to the next level.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 am

Big Chuck wrote:

Surprisingly, Coach did not seem that up tight about it. He stated he had told the team that it is what it is and out of their control. This year is a step in a journey to the top, so it was not going to interfere with Coaches plan to get us to the next level.

While I appreciate that attitude, I find it hard to be overly excited without the prospect of post season. However they are my Titans and I will support them of course.
titanmike
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 am

Excited for this season. Unfortunately, I could not attend the luncheon. From what I have read here on the board and speaking with friends who attended, I think there is a lot to look forward to. Even if we are not eligible for post season play, its a process. Rome wasn't built in one day, Butler/Gonzaga did not become mid major giants over night. The ceiling is high for our team with Coach Davis behind at the helm. If we don't qualify this season, then its just adversity for our staff and players need to overcome as part of building the program.

Sounds like the bus is back! Pumped for the Notre Dame game. Was there any talk of adding a few more bus trips this season?
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 pm

The Titan Club Board has a goal of promoting two bus trips this season. I believe once the Horizon League schedule is released (likely next week I heard) one of the games will be selected and info will be sent out.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:30 pm

UDDRUMMER wrote:Excited for this season. Unfortunately, I could not attend the luncheon. From what I have read here on the board and speaking with friends who attended, I think there is a lot to look forward to. Even if we are not eligible for post season play, its a process. Rome wasn't built in one day, Butler/Gonzaga did not become mid major giants over night. The ceiling is high for our team with Coach Davis behind at the helm. If we don't qualify this season, then its just adversity for our staff and players need to overcome as part of building the program. Sounds like the bus is back! Pumped for the Notre Dame game. Was there any talk of adding a few more bus trips this season?

Likewise, I'm excited about the upcoming season! The addition of Callipari, Maxwell, and Miller to the roster is excellent; I believe all three will make strong contributions in 2019-20.
titandave
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball