2020 Titan Prediction Contest

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2020 Titan Prediction Contest

Postby Commissioner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm

The official start of the college basketball season is two weeks away, and we're back with the oldest continuous Titan prediction contest in the nation. Yes, it's time for the Sixth Annual Commissioner's Cup, Defending champion HS Scout says, "nothing in my life has matched the thrill of claiming the Commissioner's Cup. I didn't cross it off my bucket list--that was my bucket list." (He also said that after winning the cup in 2017.) Head Coach Mike Davis says, "The Commissioner's Cup competition is the single most important reason I took the Titan job. There's nothing else like it in college hoops." Says 2018 winner UD Baller, "I can't drink inexpensive coffee without recalling my triumph in the 2018 Commissioner's Cup competition."

Past winners:
2015: Livernois Magic
2016: Livernois Magic
2017: Commissioner*/HS Scout (Commissioner was disqualified since family members cannot win, with the prize going to Runner-up Scout).
2018: UD Baller
2019: HS Scout

Remember, you can't win if you don't play. So make your picks for the questions below.

All entries due by 12:00 noon ET, Sunday, Nov. 10 (before the North Carolina State game). You can send predictions to me privately or post them in this thread. At the end of the year, the Commissioner's Cup, a lovely styrofoam cup with the word "Champion" written on it in indelible magic marker, will have added to it the name of the winner, alongside the names of past champions).

You may enter once (or at least once per user name), either here or at the other board.

1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)?

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)?

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings?

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament?

5. Which 5 Titans will start the most games?

For questions 6-13, a player must appear in three-quarters of Titan games to qualify:
6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? -- (Note this is a change from our usual question, who will lead the Titans. That seemed too easy).

7. Who will be the Titans leader in rebounds per game?

8. Who will be the Titans leader in assists per game?

9. Who will be the Titans leader in blocks per game?

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game?

11. Who will be the Titans leader in field goal percentage (min. 5 attempts per game)?

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)?

13. Who will be the Titans leader in free throw percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)?

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times?

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles?

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)?

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only):

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent:

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance?
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank?

21. Will a "Mystery Big Man" (someone not on the roster as of November 9, 2019) be added to the roster before the regular season ends?

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink?

23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title?

24. Who will win the Horizon League Tournament?

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? (This question is also the tie-breaker: First tie-breaker is winner, second tie-breaker is closest to final score).

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: 2020 Titan Prediction Contest

Postby Shags-DC » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm

You may enter once (or at least once per user name), either here or at the other board.

1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)? 12-19

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)? 6-12

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings? 8th

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament? quarterfinal

5. Which 5 Titans will start the most games? A. Davis, Calipari, C. Brandon, M. Moore, J. Miller

For questions 6-13, a player must appear in three-quarters of Titan games to qualify:
6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? -- (Note this is a change from our usual question, who will lead the Titans. That seemed too easy). Justin Miller

7. Who will be the Titans leader in rebounds per game? Justin Miller

8. Who will be the Titans leader in assists per game? A. Davis

9. Who will be the Titans leader in blocks per game? Brandon

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game? A. Davis

11. Who will be the Titans leader in field goal percentage (min. 5 attempts per game)? Brandon

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Isiani

13. Who will be the Titans leader in free throw percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? A. Davis

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times? A. Davis 15x

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles? Justin Miller

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)? Antoine Davis

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only): Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 19 points

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent: Gonzaga 39 points

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance? a. Under 2000
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank? 267

21. Will a "Mystery Big Man" (someone not on the roster as of November 9, 2019) be added to the roster before the regular season ends? Yes

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink? Fried Calamari

23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title? Northern Kentucky

24. Who will win the Horizon League Tournament? Wright State

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? (This question is also the tie-breaker: First tie-breaker is winner, second tie-breaker is closest to final score). 82-70 Oakland

Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 am

Bump. With last night's scrimmage, we have some reports on the Titans. Get your entries in.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:42 am

1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)? 20-11

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)?16-2

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings?1

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament?we will not be able to play

5. Which 5 Titans will start the most games?AD, one of the Mystery Big Man from Egypt, Willy, Maxwell, Moore

6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? -- (Note this is a change from our usual question, who will lead the Titans. That seemed too easy).

7. Who will be the Titans leader in rebounds per game?Mystery Big Man from Egypt

8. Who will be the Titans leader in assists per game?AD

9. Who will be the Titans leader in blocks per game?Mystery Big Man from Egypt

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game?Maxwell

11. Who will be the Titans leader in field goal percentage (min. 5 attempts per game)?AD

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)?AD

13. Who will be the Titans leader in free throw percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)?AD

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times?AD -25

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles?Mystery Big Man from Egypt

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)?Mystery Big Man from Egypt, AD

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only):Cleveland State 20

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent:Gonzaga 24

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance?
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank? 120

21. Will a "Mystery Big Man" (someone not on the roster as of November 9, 2019) be added to the roster before the regular season ends? yes and for bonus point I will say two

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink?
Sam Hofman
23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title?
Titan[b]
24. Who will win the Horizon League Tournament?
[b]Wright St

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? (This question is also the tie-breaker: First tie-breaker is winner, second tie-breaker is closest to final score).Titan 73-65
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 am

Bump!
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:21 am

Sweet, as of right now, I have a 50% chance of winning! I'm capitalizing on the fact that most of you don't have the energy or attention span to take 5-10 minutes filling out the Commish's entry form.
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 am

Shags-DC wrote:Sweet, as of right now, I have a 50% chance of winning! I'm capitalizing on the fact that most of you don't have the energy or attention span to take 5-10 minutes filling out the Commish's entry form.

I think some people are waiting closer to the deadline to submit predictions. Some more data out there to factor in the predictive equation , e.g., results of yesterday’s scrimmage with CMU, possible announcement of additions to the roster for the second semester, pending eligibility determinations impacting opponents’ rosters, injuries that could come up, etc. Also, additional people have entered the contest via the other Titans fan board and some may have submitted their predictions by private message.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Shags-DC wrote:Sweet, as of right now, I have a 50% chance of winning! I'm capitalizing on the fact that most of you don't have the energy or attention span to take 5-10 minutes filling out the Commish's entry form.

I think some people are waiting closer to the deadline to submit predictions. Some more data out there to factor in the predictive equation , e.g., results of yesterday’s scrimmage with CMU, possible announcement of additions to the roster for the second semester, pending eligibility determinations impacting opponents’ rosters, injuries that could come up, etc. Also, additional people have entered the contest via the other Titans fan board and some may have submitted their predictions by private message.

Agreed. Maxwell entries will already require revision. I'll be waiting up until the last possible moment. This is the first year in a long time this will be complete guesswork for me. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:54 pm

I see that my voter suppression efforts have been wildly successful, making it harder for old (ish) white men to vote by scrambling dial-up internet access in SE Michigan. Less than 72 hours until tip-off and I still have a 1 in 2 chance of winning, as attempts to continue to track down BJ Maxwell's mother to find out the scoop on his eligibility.
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 pm

I was declared ineligible for the 2020 prediction contest by the NCAA. I am appealing this decision but have yet to hear back.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Rogobob77’s predictions:

1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)? 15-16

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)? 9-9

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings? 5th

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament? Will be eligible due to NCAA waiver of APR related ban, will win first game, lose the second.

5. Which five Titans will start the most games? Davis, Maxwell, Brandon, Moore, Isiani

6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? Isiani

7. Who will be the Titans leader in rebounds per game? Miller

8. Who will be the Titans leader in assists per game? Davis

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game? Davis

11. Who will be the Titans leader in field goal percentage (min. 5 attempts per game)? Brandon

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Davis

13. Who will be the Titans leader in free throw percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Davis

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times? Davis, 16 times; Isiani 2

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles? Moore

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)? Davis

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only): SIUE 17

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent: Gonzaga 22

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance? a
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank? 179

21. Will a "Mystery Big Man" (someone not on the roster as of November 9, 2019) be added to the roster before the regular season ends? Yes

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink? Rose

23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title? Wright State

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? Detroit 79-76
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Good news, the NCAA just called me and said I am eligible for the 2019-2020 prediction contest. I did ask them, while I had them on the line, about our post-season ban appeal and about Brundidge's 5th year of eligibility. They said they will get back to us in April.

1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)? 9-22

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)? 5-13

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings? 9th

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament? Will lose appeal, not play.

5. Which five Titans will start the most games? Davis, Maxwell, Brandon, Moore, Isiani

6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? Isiani

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game? Davis

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Davis

13. Who will be the Titans leader in free throw percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Davis

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times? Davis, 17 times; Isiani 1

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles? Davis

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)? Davis

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only): SIUE 19

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent: Gonzaga 34

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance? A
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank? 296

21. Will a "Mystery Big Man" (someone not on the roster as of November 9, 2019) be added to the roster before the regular season ends? No, I don't trust the NCAA

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink? Hofman

23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title? Wright State

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? Pioneers 71 Titans 66

Sorry for the pessimistic predictions. I think the ban will really hurt morale. Hope I'm wrong!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm

For question #21, does that mean the MBM is eligible to play in games, or just on the roster? I could imagine a player joining the team and being on scholarship come January but not getting clearance to play by the NCAA. Especially if this student athlete (or athletes) is totally new to the university in January. No credible reporting that an MBM is currently on campus awaiting decisions from the NCAA as far as I know.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:45 am

Tacitus651 wrote:For question #21, does that mean the MBM is eligible to play in games, or just on the roster? I could imagine a player joining the team and being on scholarship come January but not getting clearance to play by the NCAA. Especially if this student athlete (or athletes) is totally new to the university in January. No credible reporting that an MBM is currently on campus awaiting decisions from the NCAA as far as I know.

I think on the roster will do.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:52 pm

27 hours to get your picks in. Must be in before Sunday tip off.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:32 pm

C'mon tacitus. Make your picks. Our Titans are staying at the same place as the Notre Dame football team.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:58 pm

C'mon tacitus. Make your picks. Our Titans are staying at the same place as the Notre Dame football team

Maybe we can pull a Fletch and get ND to pay for our hotel bill.

Shags-DC
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Commissioner wrote:
1. What will be the Titans final regular season W-L record (31 regular season games)? 16-15

2. What will be the Titans final regular season conference W-L record (18 games)? 11-7

3. What place will the Titans finish in the conference regular season standings? 4th

4. How far will the Titans advance in the Horizon League Tournament? Semifinals

5. Which 5 Titans will start the most games? Davis Isiani Brandon Moore Rose

6. Who will be second on the Titans leader in points scored per game? -- (Note this is a change from our usual question, who will lead the Titans. That seemed too easy). Isiani

9. Who will be the Titans leader in blocks per game? Miller

10. Who will be the Titans leader in steals per game?

12. Who will be the Titans leader in 3 point field goal percentage (min. 2 attempts per game)? Isiani

14. Which Titans will score at least 25 points in a game this season, and how many times? Davis 18, Isiani 4, Miller 1

15. Which Titan will record the most double doubles? Miller

16. Which Titan(s) will make an all-conference team (first or second team all conference, all defense, or all freshman)?
Davis 1st, Isiani 2nd, Hofman freshman

17. Name Titans' biggest margin of victory and opponent (D-I opponents only): SIUE 29

18. Name Titans' biggest margin of defeat and opponent: Gonzaga 24

19. What will be the Titans' average official home game attendance? B
a. Under 2000
b. 2000-2499
c. 2500-2999
d. 3000 or more

20. What will be Titans' final NET rank? 188

22. Who will play the most minutes from among Brad Calipari, Dwayne Rose, Sam Hofman, and Jamail Pink? Rose

23. Who will win the Horizon regular season title? NKU

25. Who will win and what will be the final score of Oakland at Detroit on Friday, January 31? (This question is also the tie-breaker: First tie-breaker is winner, second tie-breaker is closest to final score). Titans 83-65

TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:08 pm

ptctitan wrote:C'mon tacitus. Make your picks. Our Titans are staying at the same place as the Notre Dame football team.

I just hope coach Davis doesn’t run into coach Kelly in the lobby and take any coaching advice.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

udballer wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:

Agreed. Maxwell entries will already require revision. I'll be waiting up until the last possible moment. This is the first year in a long time this will be complete guesswork for me. :)

The last possible moment has arrived!
Commissioner
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball