Thank You Coach Davis, Mike Jr and Antoine!

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Thank You Coach Davis, Mike Jr and Antoine!

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Thank you for the tremendous effort on the sidelines and on the court tonight against Oakland. I truly believe this will be a victory that will ignite us for the rest of the season!

SHG
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Re: Thank You Coach Davis, Mike Jr and Antoine!

Postby titandave » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 am

The victory over Oakland is the first step in achieving an overall record of.500 for the regular season. :)

As I posted under a different topic (before the series with Oakland), we need to split on the road (Oakland, YSU. & CSU) and sweep at home (Purdue-FW & Robert Morris) .... this would give us a regular season record of 10-10 (conference record of 9-7).
titandave
Senior

Postby EarlTheTwirl » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 am

Considering where the program has been the last 5 years or so, I would also be happy with the ending.
EarlTheTwirl
Senior

Postby professorjackson » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 pm

I get where you're coming from, but this is just sad. I guess I should just accept that we are a bottom feeder in a lowly conference. Each March we can hope to catch fire for a few days and win the conference tournament and the 15 seed...
David J. Jackson, Class of '91
professorjackson
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:15 pm

By finishing at .500 in the regular season, we are heading in the right direction!

Going forward, we have an experienced group returning for the 2021-22 season; AD, Brandon, Isiani, Koka, and Waterman. And, with the NCAA allowing another year of eligibility due to the virus, it's possible that some or all of the current Seniors/Graduate Students would return to UDM ... Rose Jr., Fraser, Johnson, and Kuol. :)
titandave
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Thank You again. During this dismal winter, this Titan team represented us fans! This exciting run has been unbelievable great basketball even from a basement laptop. Antoine you were just incredible and we can see how much you love representing the university. Can't wait to see you bring us into national prominence next year with Bul, Noah, Chris, and the rest of this great bunch. Stick together and achieve.
To the Horizon League, Vowels, Garibaldi, Whitmer and who ever else. We will be at Calihan next year -mask, sanitizer whatever. Figure it out, don't fence us out!!!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:56 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:Thank You again. During this dismal winter, this Titan team represented us fans! This exciting run has been unbelievable great basketball even from a basement laptop. Antoine you were just incredible and we can see how much you love representing the university. Can't wait to see you bring us into national prominence next year with Bul, Noah, Chris, and the rest of this great bunch. Stick together and achieve.
To the Horizon League, Vowels, Garibaldi, Whitmer and who ever else. We will be at Calihan next year -mask, sanitizer whatever. Figure it out, don't fence us out!!!

Passive political undertone not appreciated.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 pm

.....?....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:15 am

You said it sacredheartgreg good season. Can't wait to be in Cali Hall next year to watch this team.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am

The team played through all sorts of adversity - much of it set by the HL's COVID rules and ridiculous seeding formula. Remember that we did not have one player test positive for COVID for the entire season. We had just two support staff people test positive. In hindsight, the better strategy would have been to let our guys get infected in October or November. Then, we would have been in position to play the entire HL schedule. In effect, we were penalized in the seeding for keeping our guys COVID-free. That said, we made a run into contention and were the second highest rated HL team in the NCAA NET before yesterday's games.

Again, the HL set seeding rules that required its highest rated NET team to play a stronger team than its 3rd highest rated NET team. And it required us, its 2nd rated NET team to play a road game against its 4th rated NET team because our two canceled series were road games. So, when #200 OU wins the tournament and is relegated to a 16-seed play-in game, the HL need only look in the mirror and its non-performance based seeding formula.

That said, I am looking forward already to next year and this team's mission to make the NCAA tournament. Many thanks to the coaches and players for getting us to this point. Now, it's time to take the next step up to the tournament. And I trust and hope that fans will be able to attend HL games in the 2021-22 season. But given the HL's screwy decisions this year, I'm not yet counting my chickens. Still counting the HL as eggs. :D
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:23 pm

This season was frustrating for all of us -- staff, players, fans. The rocky start belied how good we were, and simply bad mistakes last night cost us that game and advancing in the tournament.

But what we saw in the last dozen games made me impatient for October. And it's been quite a few years since I've felt that way.

Thanks, everyone in Calihan, for what was overall a good season. I'm looking forward to even better things next year.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 pm

can't say i was frustrated. can say i was pleasantly surprised. as for fans? whitmer raised the level for outdoor gatherings to 300 people according to a detroit news report:

"In another move, outdoor non-residential gatherings where people interact across households will be allowed up to 300 people, which enables "larger outdoor events to resume," according to the state health department. The limit on outdoor non-residential gatherings was previously..."

i would hope that means there is a possibility for fans at the softball games? that would likewise be a nice surprise.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 pm

titanmac wrote:can't say i was frustrated. can say i was pleasantly surprised. as for fans? whitmer raised the level for outdoor gatherings to 300 people according to a detroit news report:

"In another move, outdoor non-residential gatherings where people interact across households will be allowed up to 300 people, which enables "larger outdoor events to resume," according to the state health department. The limit on outdoor non-residential gatherings was previously..."

i would hope that means there is a possibility for fans at the softball games? that would likewise be a nice surprise.

I heard something today suggesting that there is a possibility that a revised policy governing fan attendance at Detroit Mercy outdoor spring sporting events may be announced soon. Would be nice to be able catch a softball game on a warm day at Buysse Field.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 pm

and the hotdogs are good too!
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:55 am

titanmac wrote:can't say i was frustrated.

Anytime we lose to Oakland I am frustrated.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball