Everything Ray McCallum Jr

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Everything Ray McCallum Jr

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:02 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Ray was released today by the Grizzlies in favor of Jordan Farmar, can you imagine that? Grizzlies' fan forum is up at arms over this. It seems that the Grizz coach is always choosing older players over younger players. The move also allowed Memphis to set the record for the most players in one season. Tough break for Ray.

On the bright side -- when Farmar was picked up he had just finished a stint with an Israeli team. The movement of players from NBA to D League to International and back again is becoming more fluid every year. I am sure he will get another opportunity.

Actually Joe it is worse than that. They released Ray and were set to sign Bryce Cotton.

Chris Vernon
✔ ‎‎@ChrisVernonShow

New player! Grizzlies will sign Bryce Cotton tomorrow to a 10-day contract. Injury exception. That will be 28 this year. McCallum done.

19:41 - 31 Mar 2016
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 am

No offense to Ray because I think he deserves another shot in the league. That said, I always thought Cotton deserved a shot as well. In fact, I think he's a better player than Ray.
udballer
Senior

Postby jucofan1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Ray may have to look going overseas next year. He would be marketable over there on good team. But than again if he can get his 3 point shot improved who knows, someone pick him up again.
jucofan1
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 am

Ray's achellies heel is his outside shooting. He really has not improved his outside shooting since leaving UD. When you consider that he does score a lot of points through penetration, it exposes how low his outside shooting percentage really is. I hope that he lands another opportunity in the NBA.
I'm the Dude man, just call me the Dude...
Thelurker
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:23 am

Thelurker wrote:Ray's achellies heel is his outside shooting. He really has not improved his outside shooting since leaving UD. When you consider that he does score a lot of points through penetration, it exposes how low his outside shooting percentage really is. I hope that he lands another opportunity in the NBA.

Actually, his outside shooting hasn't improved much since high school. In fact, it may have regressed since his senior year of high school.
udballer
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:59 am

That's what I was thinking, baller. Was hoping Memphis would stick with Ray for a longer time, into the playoffs. Instead, they appear to be indirectly blaming the PGs for a 7 game winless streak since Conley's injury.

With the rookie contract over now, I think RM's future may be overseas as well. Expected a better shake from SA, to be honest. They usually plan long term but this time signed the antique Andre Miller and let Ray go.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 am

Ray's two teams this year met in the playoffs, and, out of curiosity, I looked to see what Andre Miller's contributions were in the Spurs' sweep of Memphis. He played in two of the four games, scoring a total of 2 points and handing out 3 assists. He didn't have any steals, I don't believe. Patty Mills, of course, is the Spurs' go to replacement at PG in case Parker is injured or tired.

The going gets tougher in the next series, with Durant and Russell Westbrook looming. After that, injuries to Curry and the Clippers' stars could lead to a surprise Western finalist (Portland).
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Awfully quiet on this thread. Anything new with Ray Ray?
Thelurker
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:29 am

Ray just went to the Rocket's mini camp for free agents. http://hoopshype.com/team/houston-rockets/
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:49 am

David Mayo thinks Ray Jr might get a look by the Pistons this summer.

Q: Near the end of the season there was a lot of speculation about a new backup point guard. Could they trade for Trey Burke, who seems on the way out with Utah, or maybe look at Ray McCallum Jr.? Thanks for doing a great job! -- Tom in Beverly Hills, Mich.

A: It's possible, particularly with McCallum, because you'd be looking at either one as a third point guard, not a second. If you're looking at one of them as a second, the primarly plan this summer didn't work out well. That came out OK last summer when the Pistons whiffed on small forwards in early free agency then landed Morris in trade, but point guards don't come cheap. The Pistons will look to land their main backup in free agency. Burke would be a more viable trade option if Plan A fails but he isn't going to get any bigger or finish at the basket any better. He probably hit his ceiling some time ago and the Pistons are looking for a more dynamic and athletic backup point guard, the lack of which was magnified in the playoffs. In either case, McCallum will get a look from some NBA team this year and Detroit potentially has two open jobs at his position. Sure, it's possible.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:36 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:David Mayo thinks Ray Jr might get a look by the Pistons this summer.

Q: Near the end of the season there was a lot of speculation about a new backup point guard. Could they trade for Trey Burke, who seems on the way out with Utah, or maybe look at Ray McCallum Jr.? Thanks for doing a great job! -- Tom in Beverly Hills, Mich.

A: It's possible, particularly with McCallum, because you'd be looking at either one as a third point guard, not a second. If you're looking at one of them as a second, the primarly plan this summer didn't work out well. That came out OK last summer when the Pistons whiffed on small forwards in early free agency then landed Morris in trade, but point guards don't come cheap. The Pistons will look to land their main backup in free agency. Burke would be a more viable trade option if Plan A fails but he isn't going to get any bigger or finish at the basket any better. He probably hit his ceiling some time ago and the Pistons are looking for a more dynamic and athletic backup point guard, the lack of which was magnified in the playoffs. In either case, McCallum will get a look from some NBA team this year and Detroit potentially has two open jobs at his position. Sure, it's possible.

Plus with Coach Ray's relationship with Stan Van Gundy, it certainly could help.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Where is Ray playing this season?
Thelurker
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 pm

One source said that he has signed a one year minimum deal with the Pistons.
titanmike
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 pm

I just googled Ray and Pistons and came across this:

https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS/status ... 8535198721
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 pm

I just read that it is a one year non-guaranteed. He still has to make the team. I am sure he will. What a great place for Ray to play --- back home!
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:22 am

Rod Beard has previewed the Pistons guards and has this to say about the upcoming McCallum/Brown showdown for the last guard roster spot on the team:

Full article here: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /90867710/

...■Lorenzo Brown, 26, 6-5/189, fourth season
Statistics: 2.5 points, 0.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists
Brown had an outstanding Orlando Summer League, helping the Pistons youngsters get to the title game. He played eight games last season with the Suns and was an insurance policy after the Pistons suffered some injuries. He spent some time with the Drive last season and is familiar with the system already.

He’ll contend with Ray McCallum Jr. to be the third point guard in the only competition for a roster spot as training camp begins. Brown has a size advantage because of his size but will need to improve offensively.

■Ray McCallum Jr., 25, 6-3/190, fourth season
Statistics: 3.3 points, 1.1 rebounds, 1.5 assists
McCallum was signed to compete for the final roster spot and will have to beat out Lorenzo Brown. He’s more experienced, but since his first two seasons with the Kings, he’s seen his playing time diminish. He has local ties (Detroit Country Day, Detroit-Mercy) but that won’t be enough to secure a spot with the Pistons.
He shot 36 percent on 3-pointers last season and if he can show that offensive spark, along with good decision making, he could make the position competition more interesting.

Rod.Beard@detroitnews
Thelurker
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:30 pm

My money is on Ray.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 am

Great to wear the Detroit uniform again.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /91198322/
titanmike
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:08 am

Didn't see the game, but Ray's stat line look respectable in the 1st preseason game. 5 points - 2-3 FG - 4 rebounds - 4 assists - 2 turnovers - 1 steal. It sure looked better than Ish Smith. 4 points - 2-7 FG - 2 rebounds - 3 assists - 3 turnovers - 1 steal. The only negative was the -15 for Ray and the + 8 for Ish. I guess having Drummond cleaning up your misses makes you look like the better PG.

Ray will get his chances this preseason. Reggie Jackson is out for 6-8 weeks.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Ray makes the Piston's roster for 2016 ---- http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/ ... _15_1.html
StJoeUofD
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball