Everything Ray McCallum Jr

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Everything Ray McCallum Jr

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:19 pm

Good point, TTF. It's a compliment to his character and his ability. Unless something unexpected happens, I'll be rooting hard for the Spurs this year.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:45 pm

The good news is that the Spurs traded FOR Ray, not to get rid of someone else. They weren't dumping salaries or anything, they wanted Ray on their roster. The trade was to give up a draft pick.

More good news. Tony Parker is a stud, but he's a 33-year-old stud. The backup PG is Patty Mills; if nothing else, Ray has three inches on Patty.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 pm

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for Ray. He gets out of an organization where the owner knows nothing about basketball and is trying to run something that he hired someone else to do and if they do trade Cousins the franchise is dead. On the other hand he is going to be a part of one of the best, if not the best organizations in professional sports and he will have an opportunity to play for an excellent coach who does know what he is doing and runs his own show. Seems everyone on that team buys into Pops program. I can not think of a better scenario for Ray!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I agree with you guys that this is an exceptional turn of events for a very talented and hard working young man. With plenty of room to grow, RM2 should benefit immensely from the developmental platform San Antonio will provide him. Not only will he be exposed to championship-caliber ball under the tutelage of head coach Gregg Popovich, but Tony Parker also will be able to teach him the ins and outs of a complex and point guard-friendly scheme.
The Founder of the infamous JACK a** AWARD. Be respectful and polite or you could be next!
Thelurker
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 am

Well said by the most recent posters, particularly up and Sam. It is a great turn of events for Ray. And, while I'm not that familiar with salary cap issues, there is, I believe, a component of the move which is related to Ray's modest salary under his expiring rookie contract. It was stated in the article that in order to create cap room for Aldridge, the Spurs renounced Cory Joseph, who then found his own deal with Toronto. Expiring contracts are treasured in today's very broken NBA financial model wherein the best talents are offered absurd amounts and still don't know how to properly make and keep a commitment, as was seen this week. LeBron, apparently, is on a cycle where he opts out every year because $23.5M annually just isn't enough. It's another subject.

Ray will have a chance to impress in Pop's system, which has been proven to succeed. Will they sign one or two other Rays? Perhaps. Perhaps not. His basketball IQ is no doubt valued, his hard work hasn't gone unnoticed. He needs to continue working on shooting. Pop will be in Springfield, he's the best. And Ray has been freed from basketball's version of Hell, which, nevertheless, gave him his first opportunity. I'll watch the Spurs with interest along with Sam and, they're almost in our time zone, which is also good.

Good luck to Ray.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby retspooh » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:18 am

Oh no, I've hated the Spurs ever since they beat the Pistons in the Finals. Hope Ray does well, and bolts after next year though.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/7/9 ... per-report
retspooh
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/sports/clippers-now-have-two-of-the-nbas-best-playmakers/2015/07/27/52e327d8d2f5bb8b83084621111c6504_story.html?tid=kindle-app

It may be hard to find, but there is a table in the Clippers Best Playmaker article link above that shows Ray as #5 in a list of " players are some of least ...likely to turn the ball over trying to create for teammates (NBA average was 12.7 percent in 2014-15)"

Maybe this is the reason the best organization in the league just traded for him. The article is an interesting attempt to evaluate point guard play.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby jucofan1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Kiefer Sykes will be joining Spurs training camp. Sykes, as most remember, gave Detroit fits with his speed and athleticism.
jucofan1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:34 am

sykes had signed a partially guaranteed contract with the cavaliers as a free agent shortly after he went unddrafted? what happened to that?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:01 pm

In an outlook piece just posted today about the Spurs' abundance of depth, Kiefer Sykes isn't mentioned while Ray is projected to play behind Tony Parker and Patty Mills as 3rd PG this season. It had been my feeling that Sykes might compete with Ray for that third spot, not to say that's my preference. It isn't. Then there's Jimma. He's crept into the picture once again, signing a partially guaranteed contract with the team this summer. His strength, of course, is 3 pt shooting, the reason he manages to hang around the NBA.

Overall, Ray is much better off with the Spurs, even as the third PG, than with the Kings. George Karl is good, Pop is better. Ownership is light years ahead in SA, the pedigree is a championship one and the team believes it has one more run in it in the Duncan era.

The article I'm referencing is under www.poundtherock.com in Hoopster's last entry.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 am

Not a bad first game for Ray with the Spurs. He was underwater on the TO:A ratio, but he turned around the latter part of the game with his two 3s.

Overall GP MIN FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% OREB DREB REB AST TOV STL BLK PF DD2 TD3 PTS +/-
2015-16 1 17.3 3.0 7.0 42.9 2.0 2.0 100 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 3.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 0 0 8.0 3.0
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Not a bad first game for Ray with the Spurs. He was underwater on the TO:A ratio, but he turned around the latter part of the game with his two 3s.

Overall GP MIN FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% OREB DREB REB AST TOV STL BLK PF DD2 TD3 PTS +/-
2015-16 1 17.3 3.0 7.0 42.9 2.0 2.0 100 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 3.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 0 0 8.0 3.0

Worth noting: As Tony Parker rested, Patty Mills started, as expected. Ray played more (and played better) than Jimmer Ferdette. The other point guard on the roster, Kiefer Sykes, did not play.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

17 minutes in the opener seems like a good sign - he'll be given every opportunity to show what he can do and make the team.

Go Ray!
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:56 am

These days, as I understand NBA rosters, twelve players dress for a game but three others form a taxi squad, if you will, which can be tapped, as needed by the team. As of yesterday, Ray was among the Spurs' 15 so it looks like he made the team. Jimmer and Sykes were not listed, probably have moved on. Ray is in much the same position as he was the past 2 years, ie. 3rd PG, but with a winning organization rather than the dysfunctional Kings. Whether that may translate to a solid future there, I would say, is yet to be determined.

NBA fans who understand rosters well, please elaborate further.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 pm

dennycrane wrote:These days, as I understand NBA rosters, twelve players dress for a game but three others form a taxi squad, if you will, which can be tapped, as needed by the team. As of yesterday, Ray was among the Spurs' 15 so it looks like he made the team. Jimmer and Sykes were not listed, probably have moved on. Ray is in much the same position as he was the past 2 years, ie. 3rd PG, but with a winning organization rather than the dysfunctional Kings. Whether that may translate to a solid future there, I would say, is yet to be determined.

NBA fans who understand rosters well, please elaborate further.

Jimmer and Sykes were both cut in the past week.

I believe your understanding of the 12/15 NBA roster composition is correct.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:39 am

Ray with eight points, 3 rebounds, in 13 minutes as the Spurs beat Philly.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828029
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 am

its about time they gave him some minutes. Way to go Ray.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:47 pm

titanmike wrote:its about time they gave him some minutes. Way to go Ray.

I think we'll see more time for him as Pop gives Parker more rest as the season goes on. I think he could beat out Patty Mills for minutes in a competition, but Pop trusts Mills, rightfully so. Happy to see Ray with the Spurs, in any case. He'll get a shot.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Ray Jr. Is no longer on the Spurs roster. He has been assigned to the D-League. Hopefully this is just to get him some playing time??

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnatio ... -d-league/
The Founder of the infamous JACK a** AWARD. Be respectful and polite or you could be next!
Thelurker
Senior

Postby olderman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 am

Yes I saw Ray got sent to the Austin Spurs. They lost with Ray shooting 4 of 16 in 38 minutes. Hope it gets better for the kid. Be fun to watch him play against Nick Minnerath now at Cavaliers team the Canton Charge. I loved watching those two play.
But nice to see Titans get win against Northeastern!
olderman
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball