Past players update

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Past players update

Postby DPistons » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Have to agree with MCS on this. I would Guess Calliste's agent finally found an oppurtunity for him to play basketball. By November guys are getting worried. I don't think Jason had any invites for NBA try outs. I hope he takes advantage of the oppurtunity.
DPistons
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:11 pm

I think Sam said it very well on this Calliste subject, which is not to say I disagree with NCT's theories either. As DPistons said, November is very late to be catching on with a team and expect to play this season. Too, as the name implies, the NBDL primarily develops players for the Association, some sent down by the parent club to nurture some perceived potential.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby udm_2015 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Jason calliste on the Maine Redclaws of the NBDL. An affiliate of the Boston Celtics. Surprised he did not have a chance to go overseas and make more money than d league pays. They have good players in the league but seems most talent heads abroad. Jason after 8 games has yet to play.
As said in another post Evan Bruinsma playing in Malta. Guess he got a late offer and jumped on the chance to keep playing ball. Great attitude and need to be willing to work upwards to more elite teams/talent/salaries /etc. good luck Evan.
udm_2015
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 am

I was curious if PJ Boutte was able to the find the inside of the rim at IUPUI so I checked it out. Nope. Still struggling. Shooting 28% fg and 26% 3pts. He was playing 27 minutes a game until recently. He started 6 games earlier in the year, but was taking out of the starting lineup 6 games ago and did not play at all the last 2 games. A quick search did not reveal any recent injuries or other reason for not playing.

http://www.iupuijags.com/custompages/M- ... amcume.htm

Good luck PJ.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 am

And here's an article that includes some of Bruinsma's story regarding Aussie Rules Football.
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/1 ... rs-profile

Here are the parts about Bruinsma:
Today, Givony's target is Evan Bruinsma, a 6' 8, 214-pound, former University of Detroit forward, who averaged 13 points and eight rebounds per game in his senior year.

Inside a classroom of about 20 to 30 students in a strategic business policy class, Bruinsma's mobile phone suddenly and unexpectedly vibrates. He discreetly takes the phone out of his pants pocket, peeking at the screen, but not recognizing the area code. Who can it be now? He's so intrigued he ducks outside, into a hallway to take the call.

"Hello?" Bruinsma asks.

"Hi. I'm Jonathan Givony and I'm with the Australian Football League. I invite college basketball players to a scouting combine in Los Angeles to try out. What are your thoughts?"

This must be a prank, Bruinsma's gut tells him.

A guy with an American accent asking him, a basketball player, if he'd be interested in trying some Australian sport he'd never heard of.

An awkward pause.

"Have you got the right guy?" is all Bruinsma can think to ask. "Are you sure you have the right number?"

"Yes," Givony says.

Givony assures Bruinsma this isn't a reprise of MTV's "Punk'd." He says he'll send YouTube links, so he can see how the sport is played, and how — really — there actually are some other former American former college basketball players he invited to this same tryout years ago, now playing footy in Australia.

Another pause.

"Maybe I'll get back to you," Bruinsma says, then ends what seems like a weird conversation.

For Bruinsma, 22, from tiny New Era, Mich., the free trip to L.A. is pretty exciting. The long shot of playing a new sport in Australia might be better than playing in a low-level basketball league in a country with language and cultural barriers.

"I had nothing to lose. Plus," Bruinsma deadpanned, "I could get a picture with a kangaroo."

Bruinsma doesn't get his planned selfie with a kangaroo, but he later earns an invitation to join North Melbourne players at a Utah high-altitude performance camp. By then, though, Bruinsma has decided to move on — he signs a deal with a Maltese pro basketball team.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:I was curious if PJ Boutte was able to the find the inside of the rim at IUPUI so I checked it out. Nope. Still struggling. Shooting 28% fg and 26% 3pts. He was playing 27 minutes a game until recently. He started 6 games earlier in the year, but was taking out of the starting lineup 6 games ago and did not play at all the last 2 games. A quick search did not reveal any recent injuries or other reason for not playing.

Good luck PJ.

I sure wish he was here to guard Felder on Sat. He would definitely make a difference. I always felt he was a good defender and wasn't beat off of the dribble to often. I see he is second on the team in min played and leading in assists. I still wish he was here!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Indianapolis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:I was curious if PJ Boutte was able to the find the inside of the rim at IUPUI so I checked it out. Nope. Still struggling. Shooting 28% fg and 26% 3pts. He was playing 27 minutes a game until recently. He started 6 games earlier in the year, but was taking out of the starting lineup 6 games ago and did not play at all the last 2 games. A quick search did not reveal any recent injuries or other reason for not playing.

Good luck PJ.

PJ has been shooting better over the past few games. He's still only .298 field goal percentage and .333 three point percentage, however, his FT percentage is .771.

He has been on a roll since conference play began. His field goal percentage is .389 and he has recorded .600 three point percentage with a .831 FT percentage. His player efficiency rating in conference games is 23.9. They had a pretty tough non-conference schedule and the Summit isn't as tough as the Horizon. I still wish he would have stayed at Detroit.
Indianapolis
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:32 pm

i thought he would make a fine upperclassman once he got his ggame together indie. i too was disappointed to see him leave. all's well that ends well.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Mac, I agree. Still wishing him the best at IUPUI.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 am

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but P.J. Boutte is on the move again. He has decided to transfer from IUPUI. His next move might be to D2 University of Indy. I wonder how close P.J is to graduating?

http://www.indystar.com/story/recruitin ... /26512733/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:08 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this, but P.J. Boutte is on the move again. He has decided to transfer from IUPUI. His next move might be to D2 University of Indy. I wonder how close P.J is to graduating?

I have heard that he is scheduled to graduate this spring. Maybe Indy can fill us in?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:02 pm

I always liked PJ. Admittedly, I only watched him from a distance but he seemed to be a good guy. Always patting guys on the head and saying a word when they seemed down. I saw this a number of times, especially with Nick Minerath and Jason Calliste but others as well. As a player, he is obviously limited, but for short periods he could give an opposing team a different look. Like the equivalent of a change-up pitch in baseball. A decent ball hawk, he could pester a ball-handler efficiently at times and when he played the point, he could dribble like a fiend. His size made it difficult for him to see open players or get his own shot but in small doses he did some good things. I, too, would appreciate any info on where he lands. Good to hear he's near graduation.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Indianapolis » Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Commissioner wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this, but P.J. Boutte is on the move again. He has decided to transfer from IUPUI. His next move might be to D2 University of Indy. I wonder how close P.J is to graduating?

I have heard that he is scheduled to graduate this spring. Maybe Indy can fill us in?

I spoke with PJ and he said that he will graduate this spring. He has one year of eligibility remaining and is looking to enroll in a masters program and play the 2015-16 season.
Indianapolis
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Thank you, Indy, for the update on PJ. Best wishes to him on his post-grad work and basketball.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwXtYK5uDk
Eli Holman highlights from last season in China!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GPrdlQ_o8
Minnerath in France!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun May 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Looks like Eli lost a bit of weight and is much more mobile that I remember.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:52 pm

NC Titan wrote:Looks like Eli lost a bit of weight and is much more mobile that I remember.

I wish he'd done that as a Titan. Eli always looked like a player from the 1970's, very little muscle tone, with a little beer belly.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Looks like PJ is going to The Citadel.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/p-j-boutte
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:45 pm

PJ would and should have been our star PG last year and this year and most likely would have helped anchor (2) 20+ win seasons. What could have been :( ?
I'm the Dude man, just call me the Dude...
Thelurker
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball