Past players update

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Past players update

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Lurker, you must have watch different games than I did. Although I am sure he is a nice young man who learned a big lesson in Ann Arbor, he always looked a little too slow to compensate for his vertical challenges. His clever passes obviously worked in high school, but the bigger, quicker guys in the Mid-Major D-1 programs always seemed to stifle any momentum he generated with his enthusiasm. I am happy for him that he is able to get back into a D-1 program. That move says a lot about his determination. Most guys who move down never try to move back up. I admire him for that.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Past players update

Postby dennycrane » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:27 am

I guess I would agree with Lurker............sort of. PJ could have helped us these past two seasons as a ballhandler and passer on offense and was an effective disrupter on defense. A star? That's perhaps a little generous but the PG role was there for him two years ago after Ray opted for the draft. Then Calliste bailed and both guard spots were open. He didn't need to drop to IUPUI and sit a year to do it.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Past players update

Postby MotownTitan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:28 am

dennycrane wrote:I guess I would agree with Lurker............sort of. PJ could have helped us these past two seasons as a ballhandler and passer on offense and was an effective disrupter on defense. A star? That's perhaps a little generous but the PG role was there for him two years ago after Ray opted for the draft. Then Calliste bailed and both guard spots were open. He didn't need to drop to IUPUI and sit a year to do it.


So, he dropped to IUPUI, practiced a full year, then averaged 5.7 points and 2.9 assists in the Summit. And you guys (you and Lurker) think he would have fared much better against HL competition??? :roll:

Also, what does Calliste leaving have anything to do with PJ's role?
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am

i wish the young man well. not sure the southern conference is any better than the summit. seems like a lateral move at best.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby NC Titan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 am

The Citadel seems an odd choice for a single year transfer. Going into a military school with a corps of cadets as a senior? Strange.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:30 pm

NC Titan wrote:The Citadel seems an odd choice for a single year transfer. Going into a military school with a corps of cadets as a senior? Strange.


Same thought I had, NCT. Really a curious choice.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Past players update

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm

dennycrane wrote:I guess I would agree with Lurker............sort of. PJ could have helped us these past two seasons as a ballhandler and passer on offense and was an effective disrupter on defense. A star? That's perhaps a little generous but the PG role was there for him two years ago after Ray opted for the draft. Then Calliste bailed and both guard spots were open. He didn't need to drop to IUPUI and sit a year to do it.


Yeah, I think you're right, Denny. PJ wouldn't be a star in the HL, but I think he could have been a valuable contributor. I don't hold his struggles at IUPUI against him too much, because that was a horrible situation for him. PJ's always going to do better as the point guard on a team with good scoring options. IUPUI didn't have any. I think he would have been better with spot up shooters like Howard and Wilson, along with transition players like Jenkins (who is also a good spot up shooter) and Bass. We've needed a guy who could take the ball and get it to the right people. That's always been PJ's game.

In any case, we'll never know and I wish him the best.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Past players update

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 pm

pj seems to always find horrible situations for himself. well. that's what college is for in part.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:26 pm

I also agree with the Lurker. I felt the team was more efficient when PJ was running the point than when Junior was at the point. I felt PJ leaving hurt us a lot. I tend to watch a game differently than most. I will not ball watch but usually will pick a player and concentrate on everything he does to influence a game and set things up for his teammates. I really liked the things PJ did off of the ball and how he created space for others. We talk about basketball IQ and I think PJ had a very good understanding of the game and how to control the flow. I feel if he stayed we would have been a better team the last two years and the ability to influence a defender and then make a god pass to the open man only gets rewarded with an assist if the shot is made.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby dennycrane » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:38 pm

You're right, mac, today's Southern Conference is weaker than at any time in it's history what with Greensboro and Wofford filling vacancies in '97 and Mercer and Samford joining only within the last seven years. PJ, I suppose, doesn't need The Citadel or the SoCon to be anything more than what it is, but I agree with you, Sam and NCT, it's an odd choice.

We should thank PJ though for (unwittingly) stimulating what has been a moribund website for the past few weeks. Little news from the golf outing, none from the alumni ballgame, scoreboard not yet completed, it's just been quiet.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: Past players update

Postby NC Titan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:01 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I felt the team was more efficient when PJ was running the point than when Junior was at the point.


I think this represents the fact that in college ball Junior really was a 2 guard and with PJ at point Junior was free to do more. When Junior was running the point he could not be as creative.

I thought PJ was a defensive liability: too small to guard big guards, too slow to guard smaller, quicker guards. StJoeUofD got it right. PJ might have disrupted opponents' fast breaks, but in half-court defense he was always at a disadvantage.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:42 pm

I also wish PJ the best in Charleston. Not sure how this makes sense basketball-wise but there are worse places to live for a year and the academics of The Citadel are quite high.

My two cents on PJ staying: I really believed he could have added a lot to the Titans. As UP mentioned, I had the feeling, too, that he had a very good understanding of game flow. And while his size would be a liability, a surrounding cast like ours would've fit his game much better than what he had at IU-Whatever-U. We have (and had) good shooters and a transition players. Yeah, just what UP, DC, and Sam said! Good company. :D :D :D
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby Indianapolis » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:01 pm

P.J. has connections with Citadel through assistant coach Will Bell.

He was young when he was a Titan and I felt his biggest struggle was the ability to convert field goals and free throws. The new coach at IUPUI told him to stop shooting, however, IUPUI had four players attempt more than 25 three pointers and P.J. was the best of the bunch. He also converted .778% on free throw attempts. His conference field goal percentage was .343 with a conference three point percentage of .414. His weakness is converting two point field goals.

P.J. is a good enough basketball player to get full scholarships to D1 programs for the past five years. He graduated this spring and is attending graduate school at The Citadel at no cost.
Indianapolis
Senior
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby TerryTylerFan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Indianapolis wrote:P.J. has connections with Citadel through assistant coach Will Bell.

He was young when he was a Titan and I felt his biggest struggle was the ability to convert field goals and free throws. The new coach at IUPUI told him to stop shooting, however, IUPUI had four players attempt more than 25 three pointers and P.J. was the best of the bunch. He also converted .778% on free throw attempts. His conference field goal percentage was .343 with a conference three point percentage of .414. His weakness is converting two point field goals.

P.J. is a good enough basketball player to get full scholarships to D1 programs for the past five years. He graduated this spring and is attending graduate school at The Citadel at no cost.

I hope he has a great season with a bunch of highlight reel assists.

Despite some shortcomings with defense and shooting, P.J. had one intangible that I miss - he was really fun to watch! I found myself following his movements on the court maybe a little too much, hoping he'd do well so he could get more playing time. A favorite trick: he'd frequently use his 'height' to get small and hide behind the point guard to try stealing the inbounds pass after we scored. Not sure if it ever worked but I loved the effort.
TerryTylerFan
Senior
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby Indianapolis » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Citadel opens the season at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1yzbXQgKrg
Indianapolis
Senior
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 pm

TerryTylerFan wrote:
Indianapolis wrote:P.J. has connections with Citadel through assistant coach Will Bell.

He was young when he was a Titan and I felt his biggest struggle was the ability to convert field goals and free throws. The new coach at IUPUI told him to stop shooting, however, IUPUI had four players attempt more than 25 three pointers and P.J. was the best of the bunch. He also converted .778% on free throw attempts. His conference field goal percentage was .343 with a conference three point percentage of .414. His weakness is converting two point field goals.

P.J. is a good enough basketball player to get full scholarships to D1 programs for the past five years. He graduated this spring and is attending graduate school at The Citadel at no cost.

I hope he has a great season with a bunch of highlight reel assists.

Despite some shortcomings with defense and shooting, P.J. had one intangible that I miss - he was really fun to watch! I found myself following his movements on the court maybe a little too much, hoping he'd do well so he could get more playing time. A favorite trick: he'd frequently use his 'height' to get small and hide behind the point guard to try stealing the inbounds pass after we scored. Not sure if it ever worked but I loved the effort.


As a diminutive point guard myself, I always rooted hard for PJ. I remember that "get small" move he tried from time to time. :-)
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Past players update

Postby bballing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Chase Simon's change from Poland to Spain began last weekend. That liga endesa of Spain is supposedly one of best in world. Nick Minnerath started there for his first pro job. Chase had a rough start as his team lost. (Manresa). Chase had 5 points with 28% shooting and 4 turnovers in 23 minutes. His first game, if I remember Chase at all, I expect he will remain confident and keep shooting! Wish him the best in Spain.
bballing
Senior
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby Detriotfinest » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Jason Calliste just started to play in Latvia. After year with Maine Red Claws where he played well as a reserve it is his first trip overseas. Offered late in the season it seems but they do seem to hire players all year. Good luck Jason!! Another Titan from that talented group playing pro.
Detriotfinest
Junior
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Past players update

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:41 am

Came across this movie on Netflix -The Iran Job.
A documentary that follows one year in the life of American pro basketball player Kevin Sheppard, who signed on to play for the upstart Iranian Super League team A.S. Shiraz.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753846/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Haven't watched it yet but it got good reviews. Seems appropriate to post in this thread.
ExcitedTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

Re: Past players update

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 am

Pat Onwenu is using his final year of eligibility at Alcorn St. He was a starter in their opening game, a 33 point loss against Grand Canyon St. "O" scored nine points shooting 4-12 from the field and had three boards in 26 minutes of play.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests