Stay Tuned

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Stay Tuned

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
titanmike wrote:Today is a day of mixed messages from sources.

So you are saying something may or may not happen. I bet you are right.

I'd like to hear what Ron, with all his experience, knowledge, and love of Titan athletics, believes the reasons are for the lack of support beyond the obvious reasons. I'd like to see Ron as a consultant to Mr. Vowels. Maybe a group of alumni from different generations get together to discuss the program with the athletic department staff.

Pretty much, lol.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:45 pm

I think an alumni panel for Vowels would be a good idea. I went to U of D for undergrad and grad school and was a commuter student, when I was in school from 05-08 for undergrad I did not attend a single game, quite honestly did not know UofD at the time was a good basketball school (which it wasn't those years) there was a lot of excitement the year Coach Mac got there with all the transfers coming in. Then the AD sent me tickets to a free game, I took my wife and was hooked, since 09 I have never missed more than a few home games, including the pre-season games during a season. I have been a season ticket holder ever since and a regular Titan Club member for the last 4 years, although I don't know anyone really in the Titan Club so I don't spend much time there, maybe next year since I met TitanMike this year at the Tournament game at the Joe!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:Billy Donlon at Wright State just got fired, as did Darryl Dawkins at Stanford.

That's Johnny Dawkins, not Darryl Dawkins. Big difference. For one thing, Darryl Dawkins died last year.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:58 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I think an alumni panel for Vowels would be a good idea. I went to U of D for undergrad and grad school and was a commuter student, when I was in school from 05-08 for undergrad I did not attend a single game, quite honestly did not know UofD at the time was a good basketball school (which it wasn't those years) there was a lot of excitement the year Coach Mac got there with all the transfers coming in. Then the AD sent me tickets to a free game, I took my wife and was hooked, since 09 I have never missed more than a few home games, including the pre-season games during a season. I have been a season ticket holder ever since and a regular Titan Club member for the last 4 years, although I don't know anyone really in the Titan Club so I don't spend much time there, maybe next year since I met TitanMike this year at the Tournament game at the Joe!

Some would think that is a reason not to go to the Titan Club,lol.
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Mik hits on an interesting idea and concept. We have some real traunchs of UD(M) fans that exist.

(1) The largest is the 'older' generation (sorry everyone). These are the folks that were around from before the merger. They can recall the Vitale era, or recall seeing Spencer Haywood do his thing, or when we once had a competitive D1 football team. They remember UDM as UD. As a truly great school and great basketball program. THAT University of Detroit did great things. These are the ones who often quickly compare and contrast current teams with the 1970's or some time 'back in the day'. They also are the largest voices in insisting we should be in the Big East or should change the name back. Note, these are likely the wealthiest of fans/alumni and give and have given alot back to the school over the years (and fill the Titan Club). The most loyal of fans.

(2) Alumni/fans from the 1990's/early Oughts - these are fans that got on board during the evolution of the program including some real highlights. We had Ricky Byrdsong and the MCC rivals. Games at Cobo Arena. The NCAA appearances, and Wins. And overall a proud period with lots of Detroit pride and support. This period also sees the school's decline, the merger, the emergence of a dominance of commuter students. A more realistic bunch of fans as their fandom was built by both good and bad times esp as the Perry era sunset.

3) Y2K and beyond - People like Mik and others. They only hear second hand about the good old days, for sports and athletics. They only know UD as UDM, Detroit Mercy. Likely not too bothered in the least by OU's placement in the Horizon or the annual butt-kicking they give us. A fickler bunch of fans, they could take or leave the team -- student attendance declines year after year, as the students continue to be disconnected from campus activities and athletics.

A fourth might be the rise of the professional, and graduate students in the past 10-15 years. The law school alum, nursing students, etc who are especially not prone to get tapped into the basketball team. With group #3 these are probably the ones with the most untapped potential.

Each of these sets of fans & supporters have different view points on the team and university. Have different sets of expectations and hopes/goals. Have different views on HOW to get to where they want the team to go. Recognizing the big differences we have, how can AD Vowels best set targets and goals for the program based on this? I think hearing everyone out makes alot of sense. How do we make sure the older alumni keep supporting as they have, but that we also cultivate nearer, younger students & alumni? Afterall, they need to take the place of those older alumni one day - both in supporting athletics but also supporting the school overall.

Sorry for my attempt at dime-store anthropology. It fascinates me though esp as my overall hope is that the school and team is a success.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Mik hits on an interesting idea and concept. We have some real traunchs of UD(M) fans that exist.

(1) The largest is the 'older' generation (sorry everyone). These are the folks that were around from before the merger. They can recall the Vitale era, or recall seeing Spencer Haywood do his thing, or when we once had a competitive D1 football team. They remember UDM as UD. As a truly great school and great basketball program. THAT University of Detroit did great things. These are the ones who often quickly compare and contrast current teams with the 1970's or some time 'back in the day'. They also are the largest voices in insisting we should be in the Big East or should change the name back. Note, these are likely the wealthiest of fans/alumni and give and have given alot back to the school over the years (and fill the Titan Club). The most loyal of fans.

(2) Alumni/fans from the 1990's/early Oughts - these are fans that got on board during the evolution of the program including some real highlights. We had Ricky Byrdsong and the MCC rivals. Games at Cobo Arena. The NCAA appearances, and Wins. And overall a proud period with lots of Detroit pride and support. This period also sees the school's decline, the merger, the emergence of a dominance of commuter students. A more realistic bunch of fans as their fandom was built by both good and bad times esp as the Perry era sunset.

3) Y2K and beyond - People like Mik and others. They only hear second hand about the good old days, for sports and athletics. They only know UD as UDM, Detroit Mercy. Likely not too bothered in the least by OU's placement in the Horizon or the annual butt-kicking they give us. A fickler bunch of fans, they could take or leave the team -- student attendance declines year after year, as the students continue to be disconnected from campus activities and athletics.

A fourth might be the rise of the professional, and graduate students in the past 10-15 years. The law school alum, nursing students, etc who are especially not prone to get tapped into the basketball team. With group #3 these are probably the ones with the most untapped potential.

Each of these sets of fans & supporters have different view points on the team and university. Have different sets of expectations and hopes/goals. Have different views on HOW to get to where they want the team to go. Recognizing the big differences we have, how can AD Vowels best set targets and goals for the program based on this? I think hearing everyone out makes alot of sense. How do we make sure the older alumni keep supporting as they have, but that we also cultivate nearer, younger students & alumni? Afterall, they need to take the place of those older alumni one day - both in supporting athletics but also supporting the school overall.

Sorry for my attempt at dime-store anthropology. It fascinates me though esp as my overall hope is that the school and team is a success.

So as a 1989 graduate I guess I am between 1 and 2.
titanmike
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:39 pm

bc - just do what you have to do. As my Mother always said, the louder the threat the deafer the ears.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:42 pm

titanmike wrote:So as a 1989 graduate I guess I am between 1 and 2.

Exactly. You just don't fit in. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:59 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I think an alumni panel for Vowels would be a good idea. I went to U of D for undergrad and grad school and was a commuter student, when I was in school from 05-08 for undergrad I did not attend a single game, quite honestly did not know UofD at the time was a good basketball school (which it wasn't those years) there was a lot of excitement the year Coach Mac got there with all the transfers coming in. Then the AD sent me tickets to a free game, I took my wife and was hooked, since 09 I have never missed more than a few home games, including the pre-season games during a season. I have been a season ticket holder ever since and a regular Titan Club member for the last 4 years, although I don't know anyone really in the Titan Club so I don't spend much time there, maybe next year since I met TitanMike this year at the Tournament game at the Joe!

I actually proposed something like your idea of an alumni panel a year or two ago to someone in Athletics. My pitch was "how about getting a group of Titan Club members together to discuss concerns and talk about constructive ideas to increase interest and awareness of Titans basketball." The representative said no need to have such a meeting, everything that needed to be discussed had already been hashed out in a hastily convened meeting about the new TItan Club dues structure.

I made a suggestion that perhaps the staff, interns, work-study students, etc., make a couple of good-will calls to season ticket holders each day just to say thanks and see if there any concerns or suggestions for the future. I was told that there was no time to do this kind of thing.

There used to be a survey to TC members and season ticket holders every year where there was opportunity to provide feedback, make suggestions, etc. Those have disappeared the last few years.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that healthy business organizations make regular efforts to engage their customers and obtain feedback on performance, but I think we don't do a good job on that front as of late.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Mik hits on an interesting idea and concept. We have some real traunchs of UD(M) fans that exist.

TTH, nice analysis. Let me add another point or two. In your point 2, you talk about the emergence of commuter students. Back in the '70s the school was dominated by commuter students. And I expect back in the '60s and '50s, too, as there were more students back then and fewer dorm rooms. The difference, I think, is that in the olden days the students commuted from neighborhoods in Detroit and identified with the city Detroit. Since the mid-'60s (or later) the commuters were from the suburbs, and they did NOT identify with the city of Detroit. No emotional investment, and a big attitudinal difference.

Second point, to answer your question of how do you generate and keep support? You win. Winning with local athletes is good, losing with local athletes is still losing. Back in the '70s the Titans outdrew the Red Wings. Why? The Titans won and the Dead Things (as they were known) lost. An exciting winning tradition lasting more than two or three years, which seems to be all we can sustain will attract and keep fans. My dime-store anthropology.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:There used to be a survey to TC members and season ticket holders every year where there was opportunity to provide feedback, make suggestions, etc. Those have disappeared the last few years.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that healthy business organizations make regular efforts to engage their customers and obtain feedback on performance, but I think we don't do a good job on that front as of late.

I've said it before, the department is being run too much like a business and we are just customers. We used to be treated like family. While the previous administration was maybe not professional enough, this administration is too distant. I am not saying running like a business is entirely bad, but there needs to be some personal touches. There needs to be more than emails blasts. They should want to know what we think and how we feel, but from what Rogobob says, and from my impression, they feel they know best and to hell with us. I get that the budget is tight and staff is small, but it always has been, and I used to get an telephone call or email returned fairly quickly, and maybe at the expense of a report they were preparing or a promo they were drafting. I don't see our fan base growing by getting the neighbors or random basketball fans coming to games, but concentrate on the current students, recent graduates, and older graduates. Everyone, except that class of '89, of course.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:bc - just do what you have to do. As my Mother always said, the louder the threat the deafer the ears.

I am not so sure about that Joe
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:So as a 1989 graduate I guess I am between 1 and 2.

Exactly. You just don't fit in. :D

:( :o :?
titanmike
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:45 pm

Once again I am uncategorizable. Not a graduate, although I would have graduated in 1982 had I attended. I would have started in the 70s but I didn't. So while I am technically old enough to be a member of the "older generation", and certainly remember Detroit's heyday with Vitale, I was only a casual fan until the McCallum Era. I have lived in both the city and the suburbs. I was a Titan Club member until it became unaffordable...but that's cool. The TC needed to increase the dues. At games, I hang around mostly with a current student, a graduate, and a fan who never attended the university but has followed the program for 50 years, along with a changing cast from game to game depending on who comes with the 3 people I mentioned. I've attended every home game but 3 in the last 5 or 6 years and ALWAYS talk up the program to any who will listen. But, sadly, I am not, it seems, in a category that should be targeted for growth. Sorry, Tarheel, for being an anthropological island. Good post, anyway. You sell yourself short. I'd pay upwards of 20 cents for that kind of analysis.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 pm

I wish 10% of our alumni loved the Titans half as much as you do, Moose. Thanks for your support.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 pm

NC Titan wrote:
bctitans1987 wrote:Billy Donlon at Wright State just got fired, as did Darryl Dawkins at Stanford.

That's Johnny Dawkins, not Darryl Dawkins. Big difference. For one thing, Darryl Dawkins died last year.

The bureaucracy moves slowly at Stanford.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 pm

LOL, Commish.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Hard to stay tuned. Lots of static. Think I'm switching to FM. No static at all. ;)

Maybe we get a clear channel tomorrow or Friday.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: perfect!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I wish 10% of our alumni loved the Titans half as much as you do, Moose. Thanks for your support.

Thank you, 651. It's not a chore, it's a pleasure, even with our disagreements and challenges.
MooseGuy1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball