Stay Tuned

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Stay Tuned

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Nine days? Hopefully Vowels starts reviewing those resumes soon.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Maybe I was being overly optimistic, but I thought that we might hear something today (like a press conference date). What was I thinking?

The lawyers and agent will most likely slow down the process at this point. At least slower than we want or need.

Rogobob77 wrote:What’s the hurry? There are still nine days left after today for D1 schools to sign a letter of intent with MBB recruits.

Not to mention that May 9-12 is another dead period during which no contact is permitted. We will be left with the new guy trying to get LOI's from Simmons and Barnes before the 16th. Then, we can still recruit, but without the protection of a signed NLI. Recent example: Shaq McKissic.

Of course, the very aggressive university PR department will need time to coordinate a monster PR blitz. :roll:
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Nine days? Hopefully Vowels starts reviewing those resumes soon.

Hopefully Vowels and Garabaldi are out looking for employment.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue May 08, 2018 6:34 am

Its a new morning and JJ is still listed as our head coach. :cry:
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:Its a new morning and JJ is still listed as our head coach. :cry:

It’s just amazing how the new recruits are flocking into the program, the JJSr staff is killing it on the AAU recruiting circuit, the coaching staff is in place and stronger than ever, the schedule is locked and loaded with some exciting and winning basketball coming to 6 & Livernois this upcoming season. The Vowels/JJSr tandem could be the best in NCAA D1 history.

Then I woke up from my dream and reality set in. We are screwed. This train wreck is going to be really bad when it is over.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Should be soon. Mercy has begun making hires.

Friend was just promoted to manager of University recreation. Gotta imagine that’s the first step before a coach.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue May 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Oudrummer wrote:Should be soon. Mercy has begun making hires.

Friend was just promoted to manager of University recreation. Gotta imagine that’s the first step before a coach.

Can he coach basketball?
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 am

I received the following tip from an extremely reliable source in the Athletic Dept. late yesterday:
"The (hiring) process is in the later stages. The commitment to men's basketball is stronger than ever. Several internal issues are being addressed. The success of the Program has been a major emphasis during this transition period."

Look, this has been an extremely long slog and I just look forward to seeing who our new coach will be. The above is a direct quote; this is not the mole or just another prank. This is real information from a real source. I have no interest in supporting any other Programs. I will always prefer a Titan Athletic Event over any other Professional or Collegiate experience. We currently have the 3rd highest Budget for Men's Basketball in the Horizon League and we're the ONLY D I school in a rebounding major city. We have the best Academics and History in our crappy league. I will continue to believe that better days must be ahead. We can't go down any farther so it's all rosy from here. We are NOT going D II. Anyone who continues to spill that dribble is just uninformed and clueless. Our Board of Trustees is committed to D I Athletics and so is Dr. Garabaldi. That's it. Go Titans. See you all at the Press Conference shortly. We will rise again.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 am

What a relief to hear we’re in the late stages of the hiring process, since it at minimum has already taken 700% of the time it took Mt. St. Mary’s to fill their vacancy with an outside candidate.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:I received the following tip from an extremely reliable source in the Athletic Dept. late yesterday:
"The (hiring) process is in the later stages. The commitment to men's basketball is stronger than ever. Several internal issues are being addressed. The success of the Program has been a major emphasis during this transition period."

Look, this has been an extremely long slog and I just look forward to seeing who our new coach will be. The above is a direct quote; this is not the mole or just another prank. This is real information from a real source. I have no interest in supporting any other Programs. I will always prefer a Titan Athletic Event over any other Professional or Collegiate experience. We currently have the 3rd highest Budget for Men's Basketball in the Horizon League and we're the ONLY D I school in a rebounding major city. We have the best Academics and History in our crappy league. I will continue to believe that better days must be ahead. We can't go down any farther so it's all rosy from here. We are NOT going D II. Anyone who continues to spill that dribble is just uninformed and clueless. Our Board of Trustees is committed to D I Athletics and so is Dr. Garabaldi. That's it. Go Titans. See you all at the Press Conference shortly. We will rise again.

Tom, with much due and well deserved respect to you, this is a a great example of why Vowels MUST go. Why leak this information when then can simply provide an update and keep everyone engaged?
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am

Dude - in fairness, it may not be Vowels' call here. The lawyers or someone above him in hierarchy may be calling the shots.

I'm willing to give him a chance to explain before I make up my mind.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 am

I believe that you believe the information your source has provided is accurate, Tom. As well, no one who is knowledgeable about Titan athletics can doubt the level of commitment and support your family has brought to the various programs. Unfortunately, the statement that the university's commitment to men's basketball is stronger than ever just isn't supported by the facts.

For decades, fans of the program have warned of the dangers inherent in a commitment to what is now the MidContinent Conference reincarnated. The school nevertheless kept that commitment and now sees its decline in basketball in full blossom. The current administration is not culpable in this instant circumstance, nor is That Woman. All she did was destroy the Athletic Department. But, the Horizon League's place at 28th among 32 conferences this past season is real; it happened. Now that rock bottom has been reached, the commitment is stronger than ever?

We apparently are having trouble finding a coach who wants us. To compound matters, the long delay in filling the position inherently sabotages the recruiting process, nearly guaranteeing that the record over the next two years will make BA's dismal 16-47 look good in comparison. Among the remaining fans, those who haven't been so discouraged, disaffected or completely turned off, many are older and don't have 20 years to wait for a renaissance in the program, even if it were coming.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 09, 2018 10:25 am

I will note that Tom only indicated his support for the program in general and not specifically on the process and how we got to this point.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am

Denny,
I am the messenger. Not sure why you're analyzing my role in the process. Do I believe better days are ahead? I have to. Otherwise, what's the point?
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Wed May 09, 2018 11:35 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:I received the following tip from an extremely reliable source in the Athletic Dept. late yesterday:

Is it even remotely possible, based on this statement from someone presumably in the know, that we may be replacing Vowels as well? They state that "several internal issues are being addressed." And that the success of the program has been a major emphasis during this period. I am not sure how these things are truly handled internally, but maybe they are both hiring a coach AND a new AD? Do not want to announce also relieving Vowels to try to save some face and stability until his replacement is hired? Just throwing darts here....
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed May 09, 2018 11:44 am

dtowntitan wrote:

Is it even remotely possible, based on this statement from someone presumably in the know, that we may be replacing Vowels as well? They state that "several internal issues are being addressed." And that the success of the program has been a major emphasis during this period. I am not sure how these things are truly handled internally, but maybe they are both hiring a coach AND a new AD? Do not want to announce also relieving Vowels to try to save some face and stability until his replacement is hired? Just throwing darts here....

(I’d like to add one of those iPhone prayer emojis here)...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 09, 2018 12:52 pm

dtowntitan wrote:

No
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Trying to find some light in all this - isn't there a chance next year, that with a good coach, we could be halfway decent? I think its safe to assume Ballantyne, Long, Blackshear will be back. No news on JJJ leaving. Josh hasn't announced he's transferring anywhere so its safe to assume theres at least a good chance he'll be back. Kam is the wild card, but he might realize that averaging 20ppg on the Titans will be better for his pro stock that transferring to a p5 school and averaging 6-10ppg. Best case scenario we're looking at a lineup of:
JJJ
McFolley
Long
Chatman
Blackshear/Ballantyne
I'm not saying that lineup is winning 20 games, but with a defensive minded coach, we very well could come close to doubling our win total for the past two years.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Titans03 wrote:Trying to find some light in all this - isn't there a chance next year, that with a good coach, we could be halfway decent? I think its safe to assume Ballantyne, Long, Blackshear will be back. No news on JJJ leaving. Josh hasn't announced he's transferring anywhere so its safe to assume theres at least a good chance he'll be back. Kam is the wild card, but he might realize that averaging 20ppg on the Titans will be better for his pro stock that transferring to a p5 school and averaging 6-10ppg. Best case scenario we're looking at a lineup of:
JJJ
McFolley
Long
Chatman
Blackshear/Ballantyne
I'm not saying that lineup is winning 20 games, but with a defensive minded coach, we very well could come close to doubling our win total for the past two years.

JJJ — I’d say less than 1% chance he’ll be on the team next season
McFolley — perhaps 25%
Long — guessing 90%
Chatman — if he can finish his degree over the summer, he’s transferring
Blackshear — will likely stay, but injuries are a problem
Ballantyne — I don’t know how connected he is to JJsr, I’d say 50/50 he’ll transfer

Most likely scenario, maybe a couple of those guys are on the team next year. Heard somewhere that Eichler might be transferring to Maine. The cupboard will be bare and the new coach will have no time or other resources (e.g., a staff) to recruit anyone with D-1 talent for the 2018-19 season.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:09 pm

less than 1%??
Titans03
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball