Stay Tuned

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Stay Tuned

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 am

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:I am afraid if Bronkema is the coach we might be looking at the two worst years back to back in the history of the program. His chaces of success at this point are very slim. We can not judge him over his first three years. If he is the coach we should give him 5 years to prove himself.In the mean time we must as a previous post stated, get rid of Vowels.

Interesting. No one much wanted to give BA three years, much less five.

I never wanted BA from the beginning. The year before Ray was let go there was a lot of talk about BA. I went and watched Michigan three times that Winter and it was to watch BA because I am not a Michigan fan. I came on here and said he was only a clown and a back slapper but we hired him. When he had his second bad year I did feel not giving him a third year was critical. I was in favor of going with him one more year. He was handcuffed by a late hire but I kind of felt some of it was his doing. Now it is becoming evident to me that the really late hire might not have been on his back. The lateness of this hire make the selection all the more crucial. Now I see posters talking about a 15 win season and I am not sure there is a coach in America who is capable of that in the next few years. If we are to hire a D2 coach and pass on prior D1 success then I think Gouard is a better choice and he should get 4-5 years also.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:We will probably get an announcement soon, but it likely won't be Bronkema.

Why do you think this? Considering he visited camp last week, I think you would have to assume he's one of the favorites (with what little information we know).
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 am

Titans03 wrote:
JimmyChitwood wrote:We will probably get an announcement soon, but it likely won't be Bronkema.

Why do you think this? Considering he visited camp last week, I think you would have to assume he's one of the favorites (with what little information we know).

Although some look down at a D2 coach, Bronk’s stock is on the rise. He just won a national championship and has what looks to be a great recruiting haul. If he has another great year or two at Ferris, he probably can get a better gig than cupboard-bare Detroit Mercy, I’m assuming he was just exploring his options last week, and there is a good chance he would turn down a Titan offer, but that’s just my own idle speculation.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:

Although some look down at a D2 coach, Bronk’s stock is on the rise. He just won a national championship and has what looks to be a great recruiting haul. If he has another great year or two at Ferris, he probably can get a better gig than cubard-bare Detroit Mercy, I’m assuming a good chance he would turn down the Titan offer, but that’s just my own idle speculation.

We are actually looking at the wrong guy at Ferris State. Their success is great across the full spectrum of their Athletic program.I would paste the info to you guys if I knew how. Look up the Bio on their Athletic Director Perk Weisenburger. I think he is the main reason for the success at Ferris. Looks like all of their programs are doing really well . The Hockey team made the National finals in D1 and he has greatly increased attendance and revenue and doesn't seem to be making branding errors. Maybe he would also make a great Garibaldi replacement. Is the University of Detroit the only place where people who make bad decisions are not held accountable? I hired a real borderline guy who I felt was the best applicant and was told in a closed meeting by the people I answered to, that I would be responsible for anything he did. My answer was that I knew that when I hired him and thought I was responsible for all of my hires. So I guess my question is. Why is there no accountability at good old U of D for all the bad decisions being made there?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 07, 2018 11:19 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:I am afraid if Bronkema is the coach we might be looking at the two worst years back to back in the history of the program. His chaces of success at this point are very slim. We can not judge him over his first three years. If he is the coach we should give him 5 years to prove himself.In the mean time we must as a previous post stated, get rid of Vowels.

Interesting. No one much wanted to give BA three years, much less five.

I never wanted BA from the beginning. The year before Ray was let go there was a lot of talk about BA. I went and watched Michigan three times that Winter and it was to watch BA because I am not a Michigan fan. I came on here and said he was only a clown and a back slapper but we hired him. When he had his second bad year I did feel not giving him a third year was critical. I was in favor of going with him one more year. He was handcuffed by a late hire but I kind of felt some of it was his doing. Now it is becoming evident to me that the really late hire might not have been on his back. The lateness of this hire make the selection all the more crucial. Now I see posters talking about a 15 win season and I am not sure there is a coach in America who is capable of that in the next few years. If we are to hire a D2 coach and pass on prior D1 success then I think Gouard is a better choice and he should get 4-5 years also.

Personal attack of calling him a clown is uncalled for.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 07, 2018 11:23 am

Look at a connection between Ziegler and Vowels.
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 am

Ziegler also has his Twitter profile picture set when he was coaching here. Is this a sign?
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am

TitanONeill wrote:Ziegler also has his Twitter profile picture set when he was coaching here. Is this a sign?

It's been like that for a while.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

NC Titan wrote:

That's a lot more time than many on this board wanted to give BA.

Well, there are many differences.

- BA inherited a 16-15 team; the next coach will inherit an 8-24 team.
- Even if you assume that Paris Bass would have been dismissed or left anyway, and so don't count him (or Jalen Gibson), BA inherited a team returning 62% of its minutes played and 53% of its points. If things go as many presume BA's successor will inherit Blackshear, Long, and possibly Eichler and Ballantyne; assuming all 4, and the walk-ons, that will equal 14% of minutes played and 10% of points.
- BA inherited incoming freshman Corey Allen, a top 5 player in the state; his successor inherits nothing
- BA was appointed head coach on April 21; his successor will not be named earlier than May 7, if he is named today. Two and a half weeks on the recruiting trail at this time of year is huge.
- The Titans averaged 2121 fans the year before BA became coach; the Titans averaged 1241 the year before BA's successor starts.

With all that, I think most people would have given BA more time, but for...
1. 8-23; 8-24 - the worst two consecutive year record of any single head coach in Titan history
2. Three losses to D-II teams in exhibitions
3. five 30-points losses this year, equaling the total of 30-points losses in 7 years under Ray, or the last 9 years under Perry, more than under Ricky Byrdsong and Don Sicko combined, more than under Willie McCarter, Smokey Gaines, and Dick Vitale combined, more than under Jim Harding, and more than in Bob Calihan's final 6 years; and two more than in any other season in Titan history;
4. SMD;
5. Many seemingly inexplicable strategies and lineups;
6. Consecutive Blowout losses on semi-home court in HL Tournament
7. losing 3 of 4 to Oakland;
8. Failure to demonstrate ability to recruit consistently outside of friends and family (though I'm not too hard on him; friends and family count, and Adrian Nelson was a good signee);
9. Failue to keep players academically eligible--this was supposed to be part of the new culture, but Hogan, Foster-Smith, Grant, and T. Jones all had to be closed down in mid-season for academic reasons.

I think when people say Bronk (or whomever) would deserve 5 years, I think they are assuming some signs of progress.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:55 am

titanmike wrote:Personal attack of calling him a clown is uncalled for.

Really Mike! Then you describe properly what has happened at U of D over the last 3 years! According Wiki the definition of a Clown is as follows. Clowns have a varied tradition with variations in costume and performance. The most recognisable modern Clown character is the Auguste or "Red Clown" type, with outlandish costumes featuring distinctive makeup, colorful wigs, exaggerated footwear, and colorful clothing. Their entertainment style is generally designed to entertain large audiences. It was not meant as being derogatory but just a summation of what I saw. Sorry you took it as my defaming BA.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 am

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:

That's a lot more time than many on this board wanted to give BA.

Well, there are many differences.

- BA inherited a 16-15 team; the next coach will inherit an 8-24 team.
- Even if you assume that Paris Bass would have been dismissed or left anyway, and so don't count him (or Jalen Gibson), BA inherited a team returning 62% of its minutes played and 53% of its points. If things go as many presume BA's successor will inherit Blackshear, Long, and possibly Eichler and Ballantyne; assuming all 4, and the walk-ons, that will equal 14% of minutes played and 10% of points.
- BA inherited incoming freshman Corey Allen, a top 5 player in the state; his successor inherits nothing
- BA was appointed head coach on April 21; his successor will not be named earlier than May 7, if he is named today. Two and a half weeks on the recruiting trail at this time of year is huge.
- The Titans averaged 2121 fans the year before BA became coach; the Titans averaged 1241 the year before BA's successor starts.

With all that, I think most people would have given BA more time, but for...
1. 8-23; 8-24 - the worst two consecutive year record of any single head coach in Titan history
2. Three losses to D-II teams in exhibitions
3. five 30-points losses this year, equaling the total of 30-points losses in 7 years under Ray, or the last 9 years under Perry, more than under Ricky Byrdsong and Don Sicko combined, more than under Willie McCarter, Smokey Gaines, and Dick Vitale combined, more than under Jim Harding, and more than in Bob Calihan's final 6 years; and two more than in any other season in Titan history;
4. SMD;
5. Many seemingly inexplicable strategies and lineups;
6. Consecutive Blowout losses on semi-home court in HL Tournament
7. losing 3 of 4 to Oakland;
8. Failure to demonstrate ability to recruit consistently outside of friends and family (though I'm not too hard on him; friends and family count, and Adrian Nelson was a good signee);
9. Failue to keep players academically eligible--this was supposed to be part of the new culture, but Hogan, Foster-Smith, Grant, and T. Jones all had to be closed down in mid-season for academic reasons.

I think when people say Bronk (or whomever) would deserve 5 years, I think they are assuming some signs of progress.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

Really Mike! Then you describe properly what has happened at U of D over the last 3 years! According Wiki the definition of a Clown is as follows. Clowns have a varied tradition with variations in costume and performance. The most recognisable modern Clown character is the Auguste or "Red Clown" type, with outlandish costumes featuring distinctive makeup, colorful wigs, exaggerated footwear, and colorful clothing. Their entertainment style is generally designed to entertain large audiences. It was not meant as being derogatory but just a summation of what I saw. Sorry you took it as my defaming BA.

Yes really, I mean I don't think you can call someone a clown who doesn't dress up like a clown, and whose profession is not as clown, a clown. Hence its derogatory.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 07, 2018 12:50 pm

titanmike wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Yes really, I mean I don't think you can call someone a clown who doesn't dress up like a clown, and whose profession is not as clown, a clown. Hence its derogatory.

Perception is reality! We all have our opinions.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Mon May 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Time to hire SVG as AD and Coach!
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 pm

No doubt, the current situation points to very rough 2018-19. However, here's a 'what if' that would put us in a position to have a decent season:

- New HC possesses a solid combination of skill & experience and understands that respect is a two way street
- McFolley & Chatman return to UDM
- Simmons & Hightower enroll at UDM
- Jesse Barnes transfers to UDM
- Blackshear fully recovers from injury
- Long continues to improve
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 pm

I don't understand the latest tangent in this topic.

Vowels has fired Bacari. You can criticize the timing of this decision; but the merits of the decision conform with the general consensus of this board. Arguing about the original decision to hire him does nothing to help the program at this moment in time. Personnel decisions are difficult to make - especially at the low mid-major level. What may appear great on paper can turn to sewage in real life.

Vowels did not quickly promote Jackson to HC. Instead, the school has engaged in a slow, deliberate search for a new head coach. This is something that the school did not do two years when it announced Bacari 3 weeks after announcing Ray's termination. Others here have posted more than once that Jackson will also not be returning to the staff. So, Vowels appears to have taken the first steps that the majority here wanted to occur.

Even if you think that a fellow alumnus and former coach should work in a circus, perhaps you should refrain from posting that opinion at this particular point in time. OK, you were right and I was wrong. So what. We both share a common passion for the men's BB program to succeed.

Soon, we will know the identity of the new head coach. We are at a crossroads. We should funnel our energy in positive directions in order to help us realize our common passions and goals here. Arguing about who was right about something 2 years ago does not help achieve our common goals. There's not enough of us left as fans to be arguing about things that are no longer important.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Unless our opinion is not really ours - remember doublethink.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon May 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Maybe I was being overly optimistic, but I thought that we might hear something today (like a press conference date). What was I thinking?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Maybe I was being overly optimistic, but I thought that we might hear something today (like a press conference date). What was I thinking?

What’s the hurry? There are still nine days left after today for D1 schools to sign a letter of intent with MBB recruits.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon May 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Don’t we have enough players to field a team? Five, right?
Titan Jim
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball