POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Shotdoctor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:54 pm

I've coached around the Detroit area some twenty plus years mostly younger players AAU and Rec ball been fortunate enough to work with some very good coaches. Most of the kids I knew grew up playing ball from since 5 years old 6 years old 7 years old kids like Edmond Summer Derrick Walton Josh Davis Josh Jackson and Josh McFolley to name a few. One thing that those kids have in common is they had coaches that were tenacious teachers and motivators. I know a lot of you guys talk about Xs and Os but if you've been around basketball long enough you know that the game plays itself the difference between good teams and Elite teams always comes down to tenacious defense. The ability to focus and be motivated to play balls out every minute you're on the floor comes from coaching and what I've noticed about Jermaine is when he deals with the kids he has the uncanny ability to motivate and his kids and they always play Tenacious defense. Myself personally think this is a young man's game coaching (35-45) and playing but when you've played since childhood rec ball AAU high school college and professional basketball for a number of years I think that you know what it takes to win and it qualifies you to run a team. When you have a team full of good basketball players in order to turn them into a winning team you first must have a good motivator a good disciplinarian a guy who's in charge. A coach who the players will run through a brick wall for I think JJ is that guy. If he's not running things you still need a guy like that on your bench
Shotdoctor
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Shotdoctor wrote:I've coached around the Detroit area some twenty plus years mostly younger players AAU and Rec ball been fortunate enough to work with some very good coaches. Most of the kids I knew grew up playing ball from since 5 years old 6 years old 7 years old kids like Edmond Summer Derrick Walton Josh Davis Josh Jackson and Josh McFolley to name a few. One thing that those kids have in common is they had coaches that were tenacious teachers and motivators. I know a lot of you guys talk about Xs and Os but if you've been around basketball long enough you know that the game plays itself the difference between good teams and Elite teams always comes down to tenacious defense. The ability to focus and be motivated to play balls out every minute you're on the floor comes from coaching and what I've noticed about Jermaine is when he deals with the kids he has the uncanny ability to motivate and his kids and they always play Tenacious defense. Myself personally think this is a young man's game coaching (35-45) and playing but when you've played since childhood rec ball AAU high school college and professional basketball for a number of years I think that you know what it takes to win and it qualifies you to run a team. When you have a team full of good basketball players in order to turn them into a winning team you first must have a good motivator a good disciplinarian a guy who's in charge. A coach who the players will run through a brick wall for I think JJ is that guy. If he's not running things you still need a guy like that on your bench

Not to pick on your post, but JJ was just on the sideline for 2015/16 and I watched the Titans play exactly 0 minutes of tenacious defense. So, while I agree with much of your post, it almost comes of like you just attached your choice for coach to the end of it... whether it fits or not.

Honestly, if JJ is the tenacious defense guy, why didn't they play any? I think it's a fair question.
udballer
Senior

Postby Shotdoctor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes it is a fair question and let me respond to your question JJ on the sidelines would try to interject his opinion on what was going on and Coach wouldn't listen to him only coach that he listened to was J Smith if you were paying attention all year that's who he corresponded with on the sidelines and in practice why I don't know. As many leads as they blew you would think he'd welcome another point of view
Shotdoctor
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Shotdoctor wrote:Yes it is a fair question and let me respond to your question JJ on the sidelines would try to interject his opinion on what was going on and Coach wouldn't listen to him only coach that he listened to was J Smith if you were paying attention all year that's who he corresponded with on the sidelines and in practice why I don't know. As many leads as they blew you would think he'd welcome another point of view

If that is a true statement, and I have no reason to think otherwise, I have two takeaways from it.

1) Ray certainly deserved to be let go.
2) JJ's resume just went from 1 year of D1 assistant coaching down to 0 years.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Shotdoctor's posts makes sense on a lot of fronts.

First of all, his background certainly qualifies him as somewhat of an expert on coaching young people. I have to agree about defense being the key to success in the long run. That appears to be the case at almost all levels of basketball (and really, most sports), from youth leagues to the NBA. Maybe not as much as in the past, with rule changes and tweaks going back to the "Jordan Rules", but team defense is still suffocating to opponents when done right. It can also be the difference between teams of relatively equal talent. Defense wins games a lot of the time. If JJ can motivate our highly skilled squad to play even a modicum of team D, that sounds like a winning plan.

As far as Ray tuning out everyone (including Jermaine) but Jay Smith, again, I have to agree. At least from what I've observed. I used to sit very close to the bench before I migrated to the northeast end of the building to join my group of friends (UP, Sam, kirky, that whole bunch) for most of the home games. But when I used to be down on the floor near the cheerleaders (a fine spot that certainly has it's merits ;) ), it did appear to me that most of the interaction during timeouts was with Jay. Jay almost was like Brad Ausmus' Gene Lamont. I hadn't thought much of it at the time or even up until now when I read Shotdoctor's post. Just theorizing, but I think it's possible that after the Thomas/Gaither/Briggs debacle, when the coaching staff became essentially Ray and Jay, Ray got into the habit of leaning on Jay for support and it carried over to when we hired JJ. I don't think Ray purposely disrespected the rest of the staff so much as he was in the habit of going to Jay. Then again, perhaps it was intentional; I do not know enough to say for sure one way or the other. Motivation is hard to judge but I never thought Ray was anything but a decent man, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless of motives, if this habit, which would be viewed as favoritism, carried over to practices, I can certainly see why Ray lost some of his players and assistants last season. ***Okay, here we go again: I did hear from someone very close to the program that by the end of the season, Anton (and some others) were done with Ray as a coach. It was apparently obvious that Wilson left with a bad taste in his mouth when he rebuffed a hug from Coach M when he left the floor as a senior for the last time at the Horizon League Tournament. I also believed that Josh was handled poorly when Paris came back and, again, this was confirmed to me by someone I believe would know.

All I'm getting at, in a roundabout way, is that Jermaine may very well be the kind of person to coach a young and talented team, D-1 coaching experience notwithstanding. He's already coached Gerald and Josh at the high school level and apparently has a good relationship with these 2 guys who will be important cogs in the machine for 3 more years, Lord willing. After great deliberation, I think he'd be my first choice now.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:11 pm

From the all-state write-ups, for the Coach of the Year:

Pat Donnelly

Coach, U-D Jesuit

Eight years ago when he took the job, Donnelly thought he could bring a state title to the Cubs. Led by Mr. Basketball Cassius Winston, U-D Jesuit won Class A and finished the season 28-0. The development of big men Ike Eke and Gregory Eboigbodin was instrumental in the team’s championship run.

Will this guy be on our radar as an assistant?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:51 pm

no.. old as dirt and UDJ head coach is just as good of a job as an assistant at udm
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:03 pm

kirky313 wrote:no.. old as dirt and UDJ head coach is just as good of a job as an assistant at udm

Kirky, a high school coach is usually a teacher, or they have a regular 9 to 5. The UDJ job is knowhere near as prestigous as being a full time division assistant basketball coach.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Old as dirt? ha. ok Kirk. He has a son who just graduated from high school a year or two ago.

Certainly the ceiling on his career rises if he made the lead into college ranks from high school.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Old as dirt? ha. ok Kirk. He has a son who just graduated from high school a year or two ago.

Certainly the ceiling on his career rises if he made the lead into college ranks from high school.

I think he's only 49 years old. I'd better watch out. I didn't realize I'll be approaching "old as dirt" status soon. I think Kirky is really showing his age on this one! :?
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm

That sucks a lot. I've been 49 for at least 7 or 8 years now. Now I find out that I'm actually older than dirt.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:22 pm

My bad, he looks like he's 60+ with the grey hair..
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:12 pm

kirky313 wrote:My bad, he looks like he's 60+ with the grey hair..

You make that sound like a bad thing.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am

Jeff Goodman (he of Transfer Tracker fame) notes that 47 job openings have happened and all but 7 have been filled to date including dear old UD.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... oming-2016
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:38 pm

if in fact jj has accepted the Michigan assistant coaching job it puts us behind not only in recruiting but also in starting our evaluation of potential recruits for the 2016/2017 class.my understanding is that this evaluation periog only lasts 6 weeks and that it starts now. by the time we get a coach and that coach hires a staff of assistant coaches we will be way behind with that procees
baseball59
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 pm

baseball59 wrote:if in fact jj has accepted the Michigan assistant coaching job it puts us behind not only in recruiting but also in starting our evaluation of potential recruits for the 2016/2017 class.my understanding is that this evaluation periog only lasts 6 weeks and that it starts now. by the time we get a coach and that coach hires a staff of assistant coaches we will be way behind with that procees

Nowhere am I seeing anything that suggests JJ has "accepted" an assistant position at Michigan other than your suggesting it here.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 pm

pressure on vowels.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 pm

titanmike wrote:
baseball59 wrote:if in fact jj has accepted the Michigan assistant coaching job it puts us behind not only in recruiting but also in starting our evaluation of potential recruits for the 2016/2017 class.my understanding is that this evaluation periog only lasts 6 weeks and that it starts now. by the time we get a coach and that coach hires a staff of assistant coaches we will be way behind with that procees

Nowhere am I seeing anything that suggests JJ has "accepted" an assistant position at Michigan other than your suggesting it here.

http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... n-hired-um
The Founder of the infamous JACK a** AWARD. Be respectful and polite or you could be next!
Thelurker
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:48 pm

thanks for your latest post.my fear is that if we do not get the right coach is that cory allen can transfer with out sitting out a year.i do not think our 2 other recruits will transfer
baseball59
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:19 pm

that's a lot of smoke blowing for people who don't know what's going on. I know three things. 1. if anything is going to happen I will most likely know before most of you do. 2. Nothing has happened. 3. Cory Allen signed a contract, if we chose to let him out of that contract is a different story.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball