POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Thelurker wrote:
titanmike wrote:
baseball59 wrote:if in fact jj has accepted the Michigan assistant coaching job it puts us behind not only in recruiting but also in starting our evaluation of potential recruits for the 2016/2017 class.my understanding is that this evaluation periog only lasts 6 weeks and that it starts now. by the time we get a coach and that coach hires a staff of assistant coaches we will be way behind with that procees

Nowhere am I seeing anything that suggests JJ has "accepted" an assistant position at Michigan other than your suggesting it here.

http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... n-hired-um

Funny
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm

It's not official that JJ is going to UM until HoopsterUM says it's official. 8-)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

baseball59 wrote:thanks for your latest post.my fear is that if we do not get the right coach is that cory allen can transfer with out sitting out a year.i do not think our 2 other recruits will transfer

At the risk of being "that guy", I'm going to start to complain beginning tonight. It may be that I'm impatient. It may be that I've had two tall Soft Parades and a pint of Final Absolution. Either way, it's time to vent a little.

Realizing that it has been a little under 2 weeks since they let Ray go, I'm trying to temper my statements a bit. That said, if we're waiting two weeks (or longer) for an announcement that BA is our next coach, I'm going to be a little disappointing. Of the coaches mentioned here (JJ, BA, Dawkins), I highly doubt any would have responded anything but an immediate "Yes!"... so why the wait?

As mentioned on a separate post, we are one of only a handful of universities that are left to announce their new coach. Only those universities which were late(r) to the game are stuck on this island with us. With each passing day, it becomes more apparent that we did not handle this coaching change appropriately. I hope it does not affect us negatively in the short term.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 pm

I think the question is why did it take 26 days from the end of the season to let Ray go? That's why we appear to be behind the 8 ball.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 pm

baseball59 wrote:thanks for your latest post.my fear is that if we do not get the right coach is that cory allen can transfer with out sitting out a year.i do not think our 2 other recruits will transfer

Correct me if I'm wrong, Corey signed to play for the university, not for Ray. A new HC does not give him a window to attend a different school this fall and play D1 games.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, Corey signed to play for the university, not for Ray. A new HC does not give him a window to attend a different school this fall and play D1 games.

Not unless we release him from his scholarship based on the coaching change, which nearly every honorable school would.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Commissioner wrote:I think the question is why did it take 26 days from the end of the season to let Ray go? That's why we appear to be behind the 8 ball.

Because of my bold prediction (later deleted when cooler heads prevailed) the anti-Moose contingent in the Athletic Department wants me to look bad. No, I'm not paranoid so you people stop looking at me like that! BA is still the guy unless he decides he doesn't want the job.

It won't be JJ because a source I trust (and who lurks here occasionally) said JJ is going to Ann Arbor because he enjoys the Hash Bash (ah, now don't we all). Not sure I believe it, though.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Corey has a letter of intent with the university. If he breaks it, he would have to sit a year. That said, rarely do schools refuse a request for a release from a Letter of intent (which would allow him to play immediately next year) when they bring in a new coach and the player wants to transfer. Leaving aside whether you think the student should still be expected to honor their LOI, it's almost recruiting suicide not to release a player from the LOI in such circumstances.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Commissioner wrote:I think the question is why did it take 26 days from the end of the season to let Ray go? That's why we appear to be behind the 8 ball.

I disagree, Commish. I suspect that Coach Ray's contract ran out at the end of March and that's why he was let go March 31, or something similar around pay and severance. And I strongly -- very strongly -- doubt that Vowels was sitting around doing nothing those 26 days, or the 30 to 45 days before that when the die was cast and Ray's fate was sealed. After all, if I know I'm quitting a job, I don't wait until I vacate the office to start looking for my next job. Opposite situation for Vowels, but it's inconceivable that he would decide Ray's fate and then wait weeks before starting the hire process.

Of course he had to wait to actually talk to prospects, but a lot more goes into hiring a coach than announcing it.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:44 pm

NC Titan wrote:

but a lot more goes into hiring a coach than announcing it.

Agreed. Unless, of course, we hire a coach whom it was a forgone conclusion was ours from the start. I'm not kidding, if we end up hiring BA this late in the process... we screwed up the process. If we end up with George Karl, I'll retract my statements and give Vowels all the credit it the world.
udballer
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Would you complain if someone hung you with a new rope? trust the prosses. It has not been two weeks yet.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 pm

kirky313 wrote:Would you complain if someone hung you with a new rope? trust the prosses. It has not been two weeks yet.

Pretty sure I said that already. What do I know, I'm old as dirt.
udballer
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Stay Tuned !!
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 am

NC Titan wrote:

I disagree, Commish. I suspect that Coach Ray's contract ran out at the end of March and that's why he was let go March 31, or something similar around pay and severance. And I strongly -- very strongly -- doubt that Vowels was sitting around doing nothing those 26 days, or the 30 to 45 days before that when the die was cast and Ray's fate was sealed. After all, if I know I'm quitting a job, I don't wait until I vacate the office to start looking for my next job. Opposite situation for Vowels, but it's inconceivable that he would decide Ray's fate and then wait weeks before starting the hire process.

Of course he had to wait to actually talk to prospects, but a lot more goes into hiring a coach than announcing it.

NC, I agree, the only thing that could've saved Ray was if he won the Horizon league tournament and took us to the dance. Otherwise he was going to be dismissed. Why haven't we announced B.A. as our next coach? Because at the University of Detroit we do things the hard way. Just like the city which the university is named after, nothing ever comes easy, we don't get any breaks. The city and school of hard knocks.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:08 am

kirky313 wrote:Stay Tuned !!

Hmmm...Sounds like Titan Mike. OK, Kirky. What do you know? When is the big announcement coming? Will everyone be happy?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 am

You guys with your "I want to make sure everyone knows I might know something before you do" are getting ridiculous. Either say what you think you know or wait until you know something and tell us then. Its as annoying as the "news" saying "BREAKING NEWS! A kitten that was lost for 3 days was found safe and sound yesterday."

I think we all expect an announcement soon about a new head coach. That announcement could have come when they let Ray go and could come in a month from now. It will happen when it happens and I won't be surprised when it does because we know its coming any time. So implying something might be announced soon means nothing.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 am

Titan Jim wrote:

Hmmm...Sounds like Titan Mike. OK, Kirky. What do you know? When is the big announcement coming? Will everyone be happy?

Damn I knew I should have trademarked "Stay Tuned" :lol:
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:32 am

The university's press release stated that Coach McCallum was "relieved of his duties." That means that he was under contract and that he was fired by the AD.

In the university's press release, AD Vowels gave us the reason, "After a careful and long review of the entire men's basketball program, I determined it was necessary to have a change in leadership."

When Autumn Rademacher was not retained as women's head coach on March 15, 2015, Vowels' quote was "She accomplished a lot as a Titan, but after a careful review of the program, I have decided that we needed to make a change." Also, the university's press release last year specifically stated that the AD had decided not to renew her contract.

Normally, every word in a press release is chosen very carefully by the issuer. By comparing and contrasting the two press releases, the reader should gain some insight into what happened in each instance and why it happened.

I have no special insight into what's happening. And why it happened. Or when there will be news. I simply note that the Athletic Department has chosen to publicize a first-ever event scheduled for tonight at 6:00 pm in the Titan Club room called "Forever A Titan."

Having said all of the above, I agree with Jimmy Chitwood. I do have confidence in the process. We will learn the identity of the new head coach when it is announced.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:49 am

ptctitan wrote:The university's press release stated that Coach McCallum was "relieved of his duties." That means that he was under contract and that he was fired by the AD.

In the university's press release, AD Vowels gave us the reason, "After a careful and long review of the entire men's basketball program, I determined it was necessary to have a change in leadership."

When Autumn Rademacher was not retained as women's head coach on March 15, 2015, Vowels' quote was "She accomplished a lot as a Titan, but after a careful review of the program, I have decided that we needed to make a change." Also, the university's press release last year specifically stated that the AD had decided not to renew her contract.

Normally, every word in a press release is chosen very carefully by the issuer. By comparing and contrasting the two press releases, the reader should gain some insight into what happened in each instance and why it happened.

I have no special insight into what's happening. And why it happened. Or when there will be news. I simply note that the Athletic Department has chosen to publicize a first-ever event scheduled for tonight at 6:00 pm in the Titan Club room called "Forever A Titan."

Having said all of the above, I agree with Jimmy Chitwood. I do have confidence in the process. We will learn the identity of the new head coach when it is announced.

I know this for sure, it will..not be Tubby Smith. Reportedly going to Memphis.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 am

I know this for sure, it will..not be Tubby Smith. Reportedly going to Memphis.

That's why I stay tuned into detroittitanhoops.com 8-)
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball