POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby MotownTitan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:22 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Jeff Goodman just posted on Twitter that it's between Bacari Alexander and Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens for Head Coach

On paper, it would be an obvious huge mistake not to take the assistant to one of the most successful college coaches of all time. Seems like the best we could ever hope for. The possible downside would be he returns to MSU when Izzo retires or goes to a major.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/ ... 2627720192

While I am happy with either candidate, have you NOT seen the list of failures put out by the Izzo tree? Doesn't make it an obvious huge mistake not taking Stephens
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:49 pm

MotownTitan wrote:
ExcitedTitan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Jeff Goodman just posted on Twitter that it's between Bacari Alexander and Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens for Head Coach

On paper, it would be an obvious huge mistake not to take the assistant to one of the most successful college coaches of all time. Seems like the best we could ever hope for. The possible downside would be he returns to MSU when Izzo retires or goes to a major.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/ ... 2627720192

While I am happy with either candidate, have you NOT seen the list of failures put out by the Izzo tree? Doesn't make it an obvious huge mistake not taking Stephens

I thought Dwayne Stephens stated that he wasn't interested? I'd be find with Stephens,Dawkins, or Alexander. Although Alexander would definitely be the most fun.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:53 pm

I definitely don't want bacari if it costs us jackson. now or later.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 pm

titanmac wrote:I definitely don't want bacari if it costs us jackson. now or later.

I'm still confused as to the exact moment JJ turned into Denny Crum? I want the guy on the sidelines too but obviously don't have as high an opinion as some of you do.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:56 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmac wrote:I definitely don't want bacari if it costs us jackson. now or later.

I'm still confused as to the exact moment JJ turned into Denny Crum? I want the guy on the sidelines too but obviously don't have as high an opinion as some of you do.

He is very well regarded by some posters and fans, more so than it seems his actual resume would indicate. I think it's fine if he's the choice, but I don't think he's the runaway choice.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:14 am

we went over this resume thing ad nauseum already. I think all it takes is to have seen him play and lead a team. recognize his mental discipline and understanding of the game. a couple years as a highschool coach in macomb county of all places and he leads them to the quarterfinals. his bball iq is second to none. he's a winner pure and simple. winners win.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:18 am

My personal take on the Bacari vs Jermaine debate is this.....

First of all I would be happy having either guy back at the University as our head coach, however, I lean towards Jackson.

I look at their careers going back to their playing career at U of D... since then Jackson has played professionally in the NBA and Europe, so he knows what it takes to play professionally, has the first hand contacts in the league, and can market that to potential recruits. Based on some of the comments on this board regarding his time as a high school coach, he can clearly recruit quite well, as a PG his bball IQ is very high, and he clearly has his hand on the pulse of the local bball scene in the City, and his influence I think is pretty far reaching given stops during his bball career. Bacari on the other hand, i will admit I am not as well versed in his playing career after U of D, but am pretty sure was not as long as Jackson, and clearly not at the same level, he has been sitting in the same spot at Michigan for quite a few years now and there has been little speculation that other schools are interested in his duties as a head coach, he is a rah rah guy, but not sure that that translates to recruiting, he was a big guy when playing with U of D, I do not know Bacari personally, however it does not take a lot of bball IQ to be a successful big, your greatest attribute is being big. While I was at U of D and Bacari was the coach I know that the guys liked him, but I am not sure he is the appropriate head coach for me out of the two options. He seemed to come off as more of the players buddy rather than their coach. Jackson seems a little bit more hard nosed, but can still also relate to the players. I think we have seen this past year by the interaction between he and Josh and Gerald that those guys would run through a brick wall for him. We have not had that in some time here at U of D.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:58 am

dtowntitan wrote:My personal take on the Bacari vs Jermaine debate is this.....

First of all I would be happy having either guy back at the University as our head coach, however, I lean towards Jackson.

I look at their careers going back to their playing career at U of D... since then Jackson has played professionally in the NBA and Europe, so he knows what it takes to play professionally, has the first hand contacts in the league, and can market that to potential recruits. Based on some of the comments on this board regarding his time as a high school coach, he can clearly recruit quite well, as a PG his bball IQ is very high, and he clearly has his hand on the pulse of the local bball scene in the City, and his influence I think is pretty far reaching given stops during his bball career. Bacari on the other hand, i will admit I am not as well versed in his playing career after U of D, but am pretty sure was not as long as Jackson, and clearly not at the same level, he has been sitting in the same spot at Michigan for quite a few years now and there has been little speculation that other schools are interested in his duties as a head coach, he is a rah rah guy, but not sure that that translates to recruiting, he was a big guy when playing with U of D, I do not know Bacari personally, however it does not take a lot of bball IQ to be a successful big, your greatest attribute is being big. While I was at U of D and Bacari was the coach I know that the guys liked him, but I am not sure he is the appropriate head coach for me out of the two options. He seemed to come off as more of the players buddy rather than their coach. Jackson seems a little bit more hard nosed, but can still also relate to the players. I think we have seen this past year by the interaction between he and Josh and Gerald that those guys would run through a brick wall for him. We have not had that in some time here at U of D.

BA was in fact a candidate for the GB job and others.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 am

+1 downtown I am not sure what is taking Vowels so long? I am not a fan of wearing used socks and both Stephens and Bacari feel like they are well worn. They have both applied many times to be head coaches quite a few times and have been passed over by programs that are much less than we desire to be. So my feeling is they have been tried on a few times and deemed not suitable for substantial wear. We are not looking for a buddy for the players or a likeable comedian. We are looking for a Captain to pilot this ghost ship. The best Captain we have had in Calihan in a long time is sitting right under our noses. JJ is a leader and a winner and became a Titan right out of HS and has been a Titan ever since. His picture is hanging on the wall in the Titan Club. He is one of our greats. Played for a great college coach in St. Perry who worked with Bacari and JJ much longer than Vowels will have time to do and chose JJ to be an extension of himself on the floor. Perry's decision was justified by the success of the team. As far as experience JJ had the opportunity to play and learn from a lot of good coaches and has been exposed to a lot of different systems. I have never been a fan of Michigan but I liked Bo's statement about wanting a Michigan man to pilot Michigan and I think it sends a good message to have a Titan coach at UD. Was Calihan the last? He did an excellent job for the University.
Remember when Stephens strung us along and narrowed his final choice down to MSU or UD and then chose State. I feel that was his choice and he should stay there. If he does get Izzo's chair I do not think he will hold it long.
I am starting to lose some of my faith in Vowels and his handling of this. I realize he is probably not aware of some of the history involved here. He did show some respect for JJ by keeping him on but I do think JJ is the right choice here and now for our program and I hope Vowels makes the decision and makes JJ our head Coach.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 am

upbasketballfan wrote:

+1 downtown I am not sure what is taking Vowels so long? I am not a fan of wearing used socks and both Stephens and Bacari feel like they are well worn. They have both applied many times to be head coaches quite a few times and have been passed over by programs that are much less than we desire to be. So my feeling is they have been tried on a few times and deemed not suitable for substantial wear. We are not looking for a buddy for the players or a likeable comedian. We are looking for a Captain to pilot this ghost ship. The best Captain we have had in Calihan in a long time is sitting right under our noses. JJ is a leader and a winner and became a Titan right out of HS and has been a Titan ever since. His picture is hanging on the wall in the Titan Club. He is one of our greats. Played for a great college coach in St. Perry who worked with Bacari and JJ much longer than Vowels will have time to do and chose JJ to be an extension of himself on the floor. Perry's decision was justified by the success of the team. As far as experience JJ had the opportunity to play and learn from a lot of good coaches and has been exposed to a lot of different systems. I have never been a fan of Michigan but I liked Bo's statement about wanting a Michigan man to pilot Michigan and I think it sends a good message to have a Titan coach at UD. Was Calihan the last? He did an excellent job for the University.
Remember when Stephens strung us along and narrowed his final choice down to MSU or UD and then chose State. I feel that was his choice and he should stay there. If he does get Izzo's chair I do not think he will hold it long.
I am starting to lose some of my faith in Vowels and his handling of this. I realize he is probably not aware of some of the history involved here. He did show some respect for JJ by keeping him on but I do think JJ is the right choice here and now for our program and I hope Vowels makes the decision and makes JJ our head Coach.

Pretty quick to say "passed over", not necessarily the case. Frankly UP you are flat out wrong when saying "passed over". I trust Robert to make the right decision and I am confident the timing will not be an issue.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:52 am

While not critical, I hope they don't do a Friday evening news dump with a hiring announcement today. A firing is negative so you want a press release when the news doesn't care (i.e. Friday evening). With a hiring, you want it to be in the news, get some publicity. Therefore, I do not see an announcement today (or this weekend). Robert really takes his time with things, but I hope this decision comes soon.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:53 am

titanmac wrote:we went over this resume thing ad nauseum already. I think all it takes is to have seen him play and lead a team. recognize his mental discipline and understanding of the game. a couple years as a highschool coach in macomb county of all places and he leads them to the quarterfinals. his bball iq is second to none. he's a winner pure and simple. winners win.

He had 3 division 1 players on a Class C team and failed to reach the state semi-finals. I still don't see that as a tremendous plus for his coaching resume.

I agree that the rest of your post would contain reasons he should be viewed as an excellent basketball player. I would hope those attributes would contribute to him being a plus coach at the D1 level, but it is still only hope. I'm sure that Ray exhibited many of those same traits as a player.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:04 am

How about we NOT disparage the resumes or qualifications of these guys? I know we have time on our hands and not much else to discuss around these parts but its poor form IMO.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 am

What Jermaine Jackson brings is the apparent ability to get kids to improve their play. Many qualities have been mentioned by others such as leadership, being a winner, respect by his players, etc. I will add to the list that he appears to be a good coach. Prime example is CB had his best year ever with JJ on the staff. A lot of kudos goes to CB for his improved play but did JJ provide the coaching expertise that led to CB's best year? I hope Vowels looks into that and see if CB's improvement came under JJ coaching. If so, then there is the tangible evidence needed that JJ is a good can coach and players listen.

I just want to add that no matter who is selected of Dawkins, Bacari, JJ, Stephens, Waters and some other unnamed coaching candidiate, all of these men have fine qualities and I will be excited about our future and support the decision. My gut feeling tells me that Jermaine may be the best of the best but that's just the fan in me speaking. I have to put my faith in Vowels to make the right choice because he has interviewed all of them and listened to their plan to make our program a winner.
Last edited by TitanVoiceofReason on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:How about we NOT disparage the resumes or qualifications of these guys? I know we have time on our hands and not much else to discuss around these parts but its poor form IMO.

Thank you!
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:07 am

To clarify my position, I'm happy that we are making a coaching change. I voted (in the poll) for Lou Dawkins simply because I liked his resume the best of the options listed. I plan to dance in the street the minute that any (JJ, Bacari, Dwayne, Lou) new coach is announced and be supportive of the University. I'm simply pointing out that ALL of these options have holes in their resume so I find it silly that some people feel so strongly that one of them should get the job over another. There are pros & cons all down the list.

Except for Lou, his resume is too solid. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:12 am

titanmike wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:How about we NOT disparage the resumes or qualifications of these guys? I know we have time on our hands and not much else to discuss around these parts but its poor form IMO.

Thank you!

I was thinking that we were discussing potential options for coaches? Part of that would be looking into each of their resumes and pointing out both the good and where they are lacking... which is exactly something each of us would expect Vowels to do as well. If it isn't to be discussed, what is the point? Should we just all go grab our UDM pom-pons and start threads like "Favorite Player on the 1986 Roster"?

I understand that it would be poor to be personally attacking any of these guys... but I don't see that going on.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:16 am

udballer wrote:
titanmike wrote:

Thank you!

I was thinking that we were discussing potential options for coaches? Part of that would be looking into each of their resumes and pointing out both the good and where they are lacking... which is exactly something each of us would expect Vowels to do as well. If it isn't to be discussed, what is the point? Should we just all go grab our UDM pom-pons and start threads like "Favorite Player on the 1986 Roster"?

I understand that it would be poor to be personally attacking any of these guys... but I don't see that going on.

I don't completely disagree, I think as I mentioned in the Respect post that we try and point out what we like about a candidate rather than what we dislike, but I understand the debate. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:26 am

udballer wrote:
titanmac wrote:we went over this resume thing ad nauseum already. I think all it takes is to have seen him play and lead a team. recognize his mental discipline and understanding of the game. a couple years as a highschool coach in macomb county of all places and he leads them to the quarterfinals. his bball iq is second to none. he's a winner pure and simple. winners win.

He had 3 division 1 players on a Class C team and failed to reach the state semi-finals. I still don't see that as a tremendous plus for his coaching resume.

I agree that the rest of your post would contain reasons he should be viewed as an excellent basketball player. I would hope those attributes would contribute to him being a plus coach at the D1 level, but it is still only hope. I'm sure that Ray exhibited many of those same traits as a player.

To be fair, in one of his seasons as head coach his team was eliminated by Detroit Consortium which featured a player named Josh Jackson, who is projected as the #1 pick in the 2017 NBA draft. Not sure what happened in the other season.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 am

Quite frankly Mike they have both been passed over. Mike you are wrong on this one. You had better stick to selecting craft beers. Stephens and Bacari have both been applying for head coaching positions for about 2 yrs. now. I follow MSU pretty close as I have known Izzo and the Izzo family for about 50 yrs. We both call Iron Mountain our home town. Next to UD I follow MSU, Sam has DePaul and I have my MSU.I believe Stephens and Bacari have both applied for coaching positions in the Horizon twice and are still second chair guys and the last year might have found themselves feeling more like third chair but Bacari might be back in the second seat now that Jordan has left. I too feel Vowels is a good man but the timing on this is already an issue and even if a decision has already been made I feel it has already done some damage. I am not sure how long we can take 3 steps backward to take 2 steps forward.
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball