POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:46 am

All this being said, I hope that the next coach we hire is gone in five years -- stolen away by a Big 10 or ACC or SEC or Big East team because of his huge success at Detroit. I hope the other schools in the HL feel the way we felt about Bruce Pearl and Brad Stevens when they left -- relief that he's not around to torment us anymore.

Whether it's Bacari or JJ or some other 39-year-old career assistant (because for sure Greg Marshall and Shaka Smart and the other hot properties of the past few years are not going to up and leave their shiny new digs to come to Calihan) I hope we have to watch him head off to greener pastures in 2022 -- so that we can promote one of our own "career assistants" or poach one from another team. That's a hell of a lot better plan that rebuilding -- again.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 am

I voted "No" because I don't know who are the other real options.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:34 am

This is from today's edition of the Detroit Free Press, don't think these paragraphs were in their first release on this story:

"Possible candidates include Jackson, who was hired by Vowels to be on McCallum’s staff, former Titans player and current Michigan assistant Bacari Alexander, Cleveland State coach and Michigan native Gary Waters, and Northern Illinois assistant and former Saginaw High coach Lou Dawkins.

"Vowels told the players not to talk to the media and not to get on social media outlets."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:48 am

Rogobob77 wrote:This is from today's edition of the Detroit Free Press, don't think these paragraphs were in their first release on this story:

"Possible candidates include Jackson, who was hired by Vowels to be on McCallum’s staff, former Titans player and current Michigan assistant Bacari Alexander, Cleveland State coach and Michigan native Gary Waters, and Northern Illinois assistant and former Saginaw High coach Lou Dawkins.

"Vowels told the players not to talk to the media and not to get on social media outlets."

Lou Dawkins? Didn't we decide he was dead?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 am

I hope that Gary Waters being included is a late April Fools joke.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 am

Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:This is from today's edition of the Detroit Free Press, don't think these paragraphs were in their first release on this story:

Lou Dawkins? Didn't we decide he was dead?

ROFL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:12 am

Commissioner wrote:BTW, calling him a "career assistant" is just a cheap shot.

Actually, I was on my phone and the intent was to convey that Bacari has no prior head coaching experience, which is accurate. The best way for me to note that in 3 words or less was "career assistant". I understand that there are negative connotations connected to the phrase, so I probably could have written that gentler.

My point being that there are numerous people in the world (more than 7 billion, actually) and if we simply hand the keys to Bacari because one year he averaged 7ppg for us and has been an assistant coach for 15 years... I don't consider that a very impressive coaching search. Others on this board have brought up names (ie. Chris Beard) that I would have considered much more exciting possibilities. However, being that we waited nearly a month to announce on Coach Ray... many other coaches are now already moving their families to their new destinations.

Again, I've stated that I'll gladly support Bacari over what I've seen the past 10 years... so I don't hate the guy. I'm just saying that a 15 year assistant that has never been rumored for a head coaching position (until now), who also is rumored to not be a strong X's & O's guy... who UofM fans complain does not develop their big men; is probably not the absolute ceiling for a college mid-major head coaching position. If the national search is "window dressing" as we move to hire the same guy, that is disappointing to me.
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I hope that Gary Waters being included is a late April Fools joke.

Why? He is an excellent coach and recruits the state of Michigan very well. Had his team not been pirated he would have been the favorite to win the HL. He had a starter at Wichita, Louisville and Michigan State this past year and his two starting guards were right out of our back yard.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:56 am

I highly doubt that Cleveland State would let Gary Waters go and I am sure that we would not make any friends in the Horizon if we were to take Gary Waters. I wonder if Kampe is going to interview for the third time for the job?
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:21 am

Good input from everyone. I think Ray left the program in better shape than he found it. This is good...

I believe Mr. Vowels wants student-athletes. The new coach is going to have to recruit kids that excel in the classroom, not just on the court. I believe that's why Bacari might have a slight edge. He will make sure his players are taking solid courses and not screwing around. I was really dismayed with the fact that there were no UDM players on the All-Horizon League Academic Team. Bacari was an excellent student and he will recruit similar type student-athletes (as he has done at Michigan). See: Jordan Morgan. I also believe he will recruit the Catholic League.

All this said, if I were Vowels I would call Oakland and ask to interview Kampe. I think Greg would listen. Get the word out to the media that he's on the candidate list. Leak that the pay is twice what the taxpayers spend on Kampe's current salary. If anything, it would be nice to screw with Oakland :mrgreen:
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:32 am

On a UDM salary, Kampe could afford to buy his first suit and tie.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 am

In my opinion, baller's item on page 3 is very well put. If the "nationwide search" is real, then nearly a month has been lost while certain top assistants and others from around the country have already accepted new jobs. If it is not real, and two individuals in particular were the focus all along, I think we had better take a very careful look at them.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:26 am

Like I said before, why does anyone think the administration has been sitting around on its hands? This was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. I expect the phone lines have been pretty busy.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:07 pm

---- a couple of Bacari's strengths that could make him the right coach at UD:

1. per a roundball luncheon Perry Watson considered Bacari his second coach on the floor. He quarterbacked our defense.
2. the year we played UCLA in the NCAAs, a young man who worked where I did my banking played high school ball with Bacari. He said Bacari was a good offensive player who could score 30 points a night but Perry needed a blue collar player who would do the nitty gritty stuff so BA sacrificed his offense to become a good defensive player.

Finally, as a student at U of D we had a coach who was not considered to be a good X's and O's coach.....Dick Vitale! .... that didn't turn out o badly
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 pm

After reading my above post I don't think we need to interview anyone else :lol:
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:17 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:2. the year we played UCLA in the NCAAs, a young man who worked where I did my banking played high school ball with Bacari. He said Bacari was a good offensive player who could score 30 points a night but Perry needed a blue collar player who would do the nitty gritty stuff so BA sacrificed his offense to become a good defensive player.

Did you personally watch BA when he played at UDM? If so, I don't have to tell you how wrong the guy who worked at your bank was. BA had much more heart than he had talent on offense. He was a way undersized PF who got blocked more than he made field goals. It wasn't his fault due to his size, but it is what it is. He'd have had to shoot 40 times a game to score 30.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:33 pm

udballer wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:2. the year we played UCLA in the NCAAs, a young man who worked where I did my banking played high school ball with Bacari. He said Bacari was a good offensive player who could score 30 points a night but Perry needed a blue collar player who would do the nitty gritty stuff so BA sacrificed his offense to become a good defensive player.

Did you personally watch BA when he played at UDM? If so, I don't have to tell you how wrong the guy who worked at your bank was. BA had much more heart than he had talent on offense. He was a way undersized PF who got blocked more than he made field goals. It wasn't his fault due to his size, but it is what it is. He'd have had to shoot 40 times a game to score 30.

You must mean FTs ! Sure I watched him. Plenty of times. I remember chuckling to myself when the young man told me that, however, he was only sticking up for his friend. Besides he was excited about seeing his friend play on TV in the NCAAs and he was rooting for UD to boot.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:55 pm

udballer wrote: BA had much more heart than he had talent on offense. He was a way undersized PF who got blocked more than he made field goals.

His battles with Mike Marshall from Butler were epic. They both had similar size and skill and neither backed down. It was fun to watch them go at it. I probably watched that match-up more than the ball during those games.
GoTitans
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Note that you'll never catch me dogging the defense BA played. Still undersized, but defended his position very well. To me, the defensive identity he may bring to the team would be one of the bigger potential upsides to hiring him.

With JJ on the staff as well, and already in possession of some players who aren't allergic to working hard on defense (McFolley & Blackshear for sure), we have the potential to put a defense in place rather quickly.

I'm also anxious to see how a coach whose job is not on the line handles Bass should more situations arise.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Here's another article saying "sources" point to Bacari as the likely choice. http://pressrowsports.com/2016/04/02/de ... t-seasons/
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball