POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
15
47%
No
17
53%
 
Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

upbasketballfan wrote:Quite frankly Mike they have both been passed over. Mike you are wrong on this one. You had better stick to selecting craft beers. Stephens and Bacari have both been applying for head coaching positions for about 2 yrs. now. I follow MSU pretty close as I have known Izzo and the Izzo family for about 50 yrs. We both call Iron Mountain our home town. Next to UD I follow MSU, Sam has DePaul and I have my MSU.I believe Stephens and Bacari have both applied for coaching positions in the Horizon twice and are still second chair guys and the last year might have found themselves feeling more like third chair but Bacari might be back in the second seat now that Jordan has left. I too feel Vowels is a good man but the timing on this is already an issue and even if a decision has already been made I feel it has already done some damage. I am not sure how long we can take 3 steps backward to take 2 steps forward.


It makes no sense for Vowels to drag this thing out. Unless he has chosen his guy and is not announcing it, but as someone else said that wouldn't make any sense either. Ray McCallum should've been fired in March and our new coach should've been announced right around the final 4.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:52 am

upbasketballfan wrote:Quite frankly Mike they have both been passed over. Mike you are wrong on this one. You had better stick to selecting craft beers. Stephens and Bacari have both been applying for head coaching positions for about 2 yrs. now. I follow MSU pretty close as I have known Izzo and the Izzo family for about 50 yrs. We both call Iron Mountain our home town. Next to UD I follow MSU, Sam has DePaul and I have my MSU.I believe Stephens and Bacari have both applied for coaching positions in the Horizon twice and are still second chair guys and the last year might have found themselves feeling more like third chair but Bacari might be back in the second seat now that Jordan has left. I too feel Vowels is a good man but the timing on this is already an issue and even if a decision has already been made I feel it has already done some damage. I am not sure how long we can take 3 steps backward to take 2 steps forward.


Before I call you out on being smug on the issue, I looked back at how I wrote my comments and they may have appeared the same. However it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong on BA. I am not disagreeing about your suggestions on Stephens. As for BA, just because someone applied and/or was granted interview, offer made etc, doesn't mean in fact they were "passed over". Your entitled to an opinion and that is part of the appeal of this board, sharing opinions. However I am willing to give Robert the benefit of the doubt and whoever gets the job should be embraced as we did Ray 8 years ago, and others before that.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:53 am

It is far more important to get the decision right than to get it done quickly. We should be concerned about the long term, not the short term implications of not having a coach in place for this admittedly important recruiting period.

JJ was in the Titan Club Room during the last part of the Event last night. He was in the basketball office busy keeping things together till this gets sorted out. He loves the school, wants the job and is working hard for us. No matter what happens we owe him our gratitude. I hope it works out for him.
Big Chuck
Senior
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 am

I don't see any evidence that Vowels is dragging this thing out. I see a bunch of fans who understandably want to know who will be the next coach. And I see an AD who appears to be acting in a calm and deliberative manner in order to get the thing right. For me, it's more important that he choose the best candidate than we learn the decision by any one particular day. I am certain that any issue or concern that any one of us has thought about has also crossed the mind of the AD during his initial review of the former coach, his decisions about the assistants, and the timing of the search.

If the Goodman tweet is accurate, then I am happy that we have two such candidates competing for the job. But, it may be no more accurate than the story that Jenkins was transferring or Perry Farrell's speculation about who may or may not be a candidate for the position. Two weeks ago, this board appeared to have written off Stephens as a candidate because he did not want to leave Izzo. Now, Goodman's tweet suggests that this prior judgment about Stephens may have been inaccurate.

I see a well-thought out process being conducted by our AD. I remain confident that after all the vetting and final interviews are completed, he will make a good decision and announce it promptly.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am

and ptc; we all know the right decision is Jermaine Jackson!!!!!! :D :D :D Let the NCAA final four party begin!!!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:37 am

Either way I would like JJ and BA as a Titan.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:44 am

upbasketballfan wrote:I follow MSU pretty close as I have known Izzo and the Izzo family for about 50 yrs. We both call Iron Mountain our home town.


Not sure if you follow HS basketball, but if you do you must have felt extra frustrated when Iron Mountain's boys basketball team $hit the bed in Districts this year. Either Iron Mountain or Negaunee would have walked into the semi-finals this year and had a decent shot at making the final.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:46 pm

titanmike wrote:I trust Robert to make the right decision and I am confident the timing will not be an issue.

We're going into the evaluation period with only one coach. One can downplay the significance of that, and I would not disagree with Chuck's post that getting it right is more important than getting it fast. But there's no real way to get around the fact that timing is already an issue.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Commissioner wrote:
titanmike wrote:I trust Robert to make the right decision and I am confident the timing will not be an issue.

We're going into the evaluation period with only one coach. One can downplay the significance of that, and I would not disagree with Chuck's post that getting it right is more important than getting it fast. But there's no real way to get around the fact that timing is already an issue.


I don't mean to downplay the issue, I just have confidence that in fact they know what the are doing and what it appears like to us on the surface is an issue, but behind the closed doors it is not.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:34 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:Quite frankly Mike they have both been passed over. Mike you are wrong on this one. You had better stick to selecting craft beers. Stephens and Bacari have both been applying for head coaching positions for about 2 yrs. now. I follow MSU pretty close as I have known Izzo and the Izzo family for about 50 yrs. We both call Iron Mountain our home town. Next to UD I follow MSU, Sam has DePaul and I have my MSU.I believe Stephens and Bacari have both applied for coaching positions in the Horizon twice and are still second chair guys and the last year might have found themselves feeling more like third chair but Bacari might be back in the second seat now that Jordan has left. I too feel Vowels is a good man but the timing on this is already an issue and even if a decision has already been made I feel it has already done some damage. I am not sure how long we can take 3 steps backward to take 2 steps forward.

I wouldn't worry too much about their having been "passed over" (that is, having applied for jobs that went to others). Head coaching jobs are hard to come by; different programs need different things at different times; candidates continue to grow; sometimes they simply get better at interviewing. A candidate might be a better fit for a different job (does anyone really doubt that Bacari is a better fit at Detroit than at Green Bay--it's not just the alum thing, but many other factors, including knowledge of HS and AAU coaches in the most relevant recruiting areas.

I think it's great that we're getting good applicants. People want this job, and that's a good sign.

The opinions of others aren't any gospel, for some of the same reasons, but a lot of people think highly of Alexander and Stephens.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218 ... -15/page/8
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218 ... 15/page/10
http://www.coachstat.net/#!blank/m28pk (#8)
http://www.coachstat.net/#!blank-3/d4v4s (#15)
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... t?id=15109 (#5)
http://www.collegeinsider.com/belzer/
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:46 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmac wrote:we went over this resume thing ad nauseum already. I think all it takes is to have seen him play and lead a team. recognize his mental discipline and understanding of the game. a couple years as a highschool coach in macomb county of all places and he leads them to the quarterfinals. his bball iq is second to none. he's a winner pure and simple. winners win.


He had 3 division 1 players on a Class C team and failed to reach the state semi-finals. I still don't see that as a tremendous plus for his coaching resume.

I agree that the rest of your post would contain reasons he should be viewed as an excellent basketball player. I would hope those attributes would contribute to him being a plus coach at the D1 level, but it is still only hope. I'm sure that Ray exhibited many of those same traits as a player.

Yeah, that two-year 45-4 record just won't cut it. One year he lost to a team with 3 all-staters on it, winning it's second consecutive tournament. The next he lost to the team with the best player in the state. Each went on to win the tournament. Just won't do.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Commissioner wrote:Yeah, that two-year 45-4 record just won't cut it. One year he lost to a team with 3 all-staters on it, winning it's second consecutive tournament. The next he lost to the team with the best player in the state. Each went on to win the tournament. Just won't do.


Not trying to argue about this... but I think you missed the point. The point was that he had a team with JJ Jr, McFolley and Blackshear and that team played in Class C. I would not hesitate to say that you, me or TitanMike would have scored a similar record and tourney run with the talent on that team. Pretending that it was an awesome coaching job just because the teams that they ultimately lost to were also good is a bit of a leap.

Now, that said, who was your favorite Titan on the 1985-86 roster? :)
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:18 pm

On a side note, my HS basketball team was also in Class C. Over my final two years, we were 37-11. Our coach sucked worse than any coach who ever held the reins of an MHSAA boy's basketball program. Just sayin'.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmac » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:38 pm

must suck to be you baller! :) so. is izzo a lousy coach cuz they got drummed out in the first round? wait up! they were in the final four six times and only made it to the championship round twice and only won once. i think that settles it! izzo sucks.

seriously tho. i can only assume that you have never had the opportunity to watch jj play. he was the unquestioned floor general of st. perry's best teams. if you ever talked with him for more than a few minutes you'd see the competitive intensity in the man. so, i'm assuming you haven't ever seen him play or somehow are confusing him with someone else?
Last edited by titanmac on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Commissioner wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about their having been "passed over" (that is, having applied for jobs that went to others). Head coaching jobs are hard to come by; different programs need different things at different times; candidates continue to grow; sometimes they simply get better at interviewing. A candidate might be a better fit for a different job (does anyone really doubt that Bacari is a better fit at Detroit than at Green Bay--it's not just the alum thing, but many other factors, including knowledge of HS and AAU coaches in the most relevant recruiting areas.

I think it's great that we're getting good applicants. People want this job, and that's a good sign.

The opinions of others aren't any gospel, for some of the same reasons, but a lot of people think highly of Alexander and Stephens.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218 ... -15/page/8
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218 ... 15/page/10
http://www.coachstat.net/#!blank/m28pk (#8)
http://www.coachstat.net/#!blank-3/d4v4s (#15)
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... t?id=15109 (#5)
http://www.collegeinsider.com/belzer/


I believe this last season Izzo and Belien showed who their top assistants were when during pressure situations the were not going to Stephens and Alexander but they were turning more often to Fife and Jordan. That in it self shows what the head coaches they were working with thought of their input. Last year Bacari and Stephens were the lead assistants but their roles diminished this year. the one article has Stephens claiming to help mold Dramon Green's game that is really stretching the truth. It would be the same as Izzo claiming he helped make Magic the player he was.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:54 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
I believe this last season Izzo and Belien showed who their top assistants were when during pressure situations the were not going to Stephens and Alexander but they were turning more often to Fife and Jordan.


How did that work out for UM and MSU during their Tournament runs?
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:04 pm

titanmac wrote:must suck to be you baller! :) so. is izzo a lousy coach cuz they got drummed out in the first round? wait up! they were in the final four six times and only made it to the championship round twice and only won once. i think that settles it! izzo sucks.

seriously tho. i can only assume that you have never had the opportunity to watch jj play. he was the unquestioned floor general of st. perry's best teams. if you ever talked with him for more than a few minutes you'd see the competitive intensity in the man. so, i'm assuming you haven't ever seen him play or somehow are confusing him with someone else?


How to even respond to this?

1) As someone who attended the University and lived on campus from 1996 -2000, I can only assume that I've seen JJ play more than you have... or at least the same amount. He was a fantastic player though I still refuse to offer that up as proof that his Xs and Os will be undoubtedly better than our recently dismissed coach.

2) You lost me on all of the Izzo rant. Of course he's an excellent coach. I say that because he has had success at the highest level of college basketball, over the course of 20 years, with many different teams. In contrast, JJ has had success at a lower level of high school basketball, for 2 years, with the same group of players. In no way are the two situations comparable.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:24 pm

FWIW: Bob McDonald, who co-hosts a Horizon League podcast, posted on Twitter that an announcement is coming next week and Bacari is the favorite. Not groundbreaking info, but at the best it's info and at the worst just another opinion
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:26 pm

udballer wrote:
Commissioner wrote:Yeah, that two-year 45-4 record just won't cut it. One year he lost to a team with 3 all-staters on it, winning it's second consecutive tournament. The next he lost to the team with the best player in the state. Each went on to win the tournament. Just won't do.


Not trying to argue about this... but I think you missed the point. The point was that he had a team with JJ Jr, McFolley and Blackshear and that team played in Class C. I would not hesitate to say that you, me or TitanMike would have scored a similar record and tourney run with the talent on that team. Pretending that it was an awesome coaching job just because the teams that they ultimately lost to were also good is a bit of a leap.

Now, that said, who was your favorite Titan on the 1985-86 roster? :)

Well, likewise, I don't want to beat this forever, but I think you missed my point. When you get a coach, you get the whole coach. All of him. To say, "well, JJ had a ton of talent to work with" merely begs the question: why? Why did players want to play for him? (in this day and age, HS kids have lots of choices where to play). Why were they so good as players--did JJ have zero to do with that? Lots of very talented teams lose a lot more than 2 games a year. Why weren't they upset, not tripped up by anything less than another great high school team? It's surprisingly easy for a superb team to lose to the high school equivalent of Middle Tennessee State.

While I can't comment on you or Titan Mike, I don't think I would have come close to that record and tourney run. I don't think the players would have been as good, I don't think they would have played as well together, and I suspect they wouldn't have been as emotionally ready to take the floor every game night. And that's if I would have had the players to begin with. His 2014 team lost to Class A Muskegon with Deyonte Davis, DeShawn Thrower, & Joevair Kennedy, all D-I recruits, + a 4th all-state honorable mention player. And they lost to Josh Jackson's state champion Consortium team, which included 3 other players who were at least honorable mention all-state. And you want to tell me that because of those two losses, that wasn't a good coaching job?

So yeah, I think that if you go 45-4 over a two year period, losing in the tournament to other great high school teams that go on to win the title, you've had a pretty good couple years and done a pretty good coaching job. I'm gonna give you a lot of credit for that. Now, whether 2 years HC experience in HS is enough, we can debate that. But the idea that those two years at Mt. Clemens aren't impressive won't wash.

That said, I think any of the men whose names are being kicked around would be excellent hires for Detroit.

Meanwhile, on important stuff, Greg Wendt. You? I'll just bet you're a Humes guy. Figures. ;)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titanmac » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 pm

the situations are comparable because whether highschool or college or pro's getting to that level over and over insures success eventually but nobody wins them all. getting there is the goal. put yourself in a position to win the prize enough times and eventually you will. jj's a proven winner. we need that. there's fire in his eyes.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests