POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby dtowntitan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 am

kirky313 wrote:Would you take RP3 over JJ?

Why can't we have JJ AND Rashad?
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:37 am

Interesting...no idea if this is true or not, but I saw this on mgoblog about Bacari:

"Bacari had the inside track for the UD job until he asked for a SEVEN yr contract. Last Friday UD reopened the search and supposedly were looking at five other candidates. Will see how many years he ends up with if this report is true."

http://mgoblog.com/content/exit-bacari-alexander

It would help explain why it took so long...Either way, I'm pleased with the decision and look forward to next season.
Last edited by cjmcgow35 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:39 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:I got this on the UM Forum. Does anyone know if this is true?

I think BA is refusing to keep Jackson on staff and that is the holdup

MattR1
1d

Yep. That is exactly it.

gobluemd16_
34m

Bacari to Detroit, per Jeff Goodman.

See ya Bacari, It's been nice knowing Ya! Keeping Jackson shouldn't have been a hold up. If he doesn't want Jackson then he doesn't get the job.

My god relax man! You cant believe everything you read on the internet. :lol:
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 am

You mean these team blogs don't check their posts and comments for accuracy?! :o :P :lol:
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Kind of anti-climatic for some of us.

Thats the one thing I don't like about the hire. Rumors that Bacari would be hired began well before Ray was let go.

I like having a UofD guy back. I think Bacari will impress recruits' parents. I think he may motive the players if he's not too cheesy. I trust he will bring a new brand of play, maybe defense first. I think he has many pieces in place already to do that. I hope he sits Paris down and says "This is my team and our team, not your team."

Ok, but rumors of Ray being fired started before Ray was fired...rumors of coaching changes that had everyone from The Pope to Bacari as possible candidates started before Ray was fired, and as you so eloquently posted "Fire Bacari", ( I know it was in jest), rumors of his replacement probably have started alreadt.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 am

No and if not working with JJ was the reason for this position not being filled 7-10 days ago then I am very disappointed in Vowels for caving in and if there was an implied promise by Vowels to JJ that he was staying and Bacari was resisting then Bacari never should have been hired. I guess we will never know what went on behind the curtain. As far as RP3 vs JJ I would have to say JJ had a lot more success on the court and I personally think he is the right guy. JJ has already shown a desire to coach and make coaching a profession, while RP3 seems to favor the training aspect which would be a lot less demanding and a lot less travel.
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
No and if not working with JJ was the reason for this position not being filled 7-10 days ago then I am very disappointed in Vowels for caving in and if there was an implied promise by Vowels to JJ that he was staying and Bacari was resisting then Bacari never should have been hired. I guess we will never know what went on behind the curtain. As far as RP3 vs JJ I would have to say JJ had a lot more success on the court and I personally think he is the right guy.

I highly doubt that Bacari was refusing to work with JJ. That seems pretty far fetched to me.

On the other, I think you might have to expand on that "success on the court" comment???
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 am

cjmcgow35 wrote:Interesting...no idea if this is true or not, but I saw this on mgoblog about Bacari:

"Bacari had the inside track for the UD job until he asked for a SEVEN yr contract. Last Friday UD reopened the search and supposedly were looking at five other candidates. Will see how many years he ends up with if this report is true."

http://mgoblog.com/content/exit-bacari-alexander

It would help explain why it took so long...Either way, I'm pleased with the decision and look forward to next season.

This comes from a poster who hadn't posted in a couple weeks and before that years.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 am

dtowntitan wrote:

Why can't we have JJ AND Rashad?

Though I'm a big fan of both of these options for a single position on staff, I would think that you would only want one of them. If you can only have one, JJ is the guy in this spot. As was alluded to in other posts, I really think you need a guy on staff that isn't completely focused in and around metro-Detroit. I think Bacari is more than capable of successfully recruiting the Detroit area. I feel the same way about JJ and (probably) Rashad. What is needed is a solid recruiting presence in other areas of the state, ie. comments about Ramsey Nichols or Mike Thomas joining the staff to grab quality kids from the west side of the state.

This was one of the main reasons I liked the idea of a Dawkins so much as he would naturally have the Flint/Saginaw area connections to go with JJ in Detroit and a potential assistant from the west side of the state. Not saying it can't be done with a bunch of guys from Detroit, but it isn't as natural of a fit... I wouldn't think.
udballer
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:09 am

titanmike wrote:rumors of coaching changes that had everyone from The Pope to Bacari as possible candidates started before Ray was fired

Umm, not really. The only rumor before Ray was gone (and shortly thereafter) that I heard (from more than 1 person) was it was pretty much already decided that Bacari was the man. I never heard this about any other potential candidates, or the Pope. If the Pope was on option, I would want the Pope to be our coach. He is he awesome, and a great x's and o's guy, or maybe its crosses and halos guy.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:13 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:rumors of coaching changes that had everyone from The Pope to Bacari as possible candidates started before Ray was fired

Umm, not really. The only rumor before Ray was gone (and shortly thereafter) that I heard (from more than 1 person) was it was pretty much already decided that Bacari was the man. I never heard this about any other potential candidates, or the Pope. If the Pope was on option, I would want the Pope to be our coach. He is he awesome, and a great x's and o's guy, or maybe its crosses and halos guy.

What I am saying is that rumors of a coaching replacement and the names, Bacari, JJ, Dawkins, Heath, Stephens, etc have been going on since we ended the season last year. I heard nothing about specifics on Bacari until after Ray was gone and that was detailed information of which we don't know was accurate or not. I agree that wasn't mentioned as it relates to other candidates. I was going to say Jesus, but I felt like his offensive mindset might be lacking.
titanmike
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:46 am

The Press Conference is Friday 11am in Calihan
HSScout1
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /83326988/

Just posted a few minutes ago.

Looks like the poster was dead on with the 7 year comment...
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Looks like he's taking a stroll down memory lane during his Michigan years with a blitz of Tweets...looking forward to some Titan tweets!

https://twitter.com/bacari34
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:15 pm

"Should Bacari be our next coach? 14 Yes. 17 No."

Must have been a contested convention.

Bacari 2016! Making the Titans Great Things Again! A Titan Future to Bacari in! A new Titan Century! Bacari! BAC on the map!

Sorry to get political.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby retspooh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:"Should Bacari be our next coach? 14 Yes. 17. No

Yet he still got hired :evil:
retspooh
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Clearly, Waters and Dawkins failed to read Art of the Deal.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:38 pm

LOL, Tacitus.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Bacari will be so good at the coaching it will make our heads spin. Believe me. He makes the best plays. The greatest part is, he is going to make Oakland pay his salary. Its true. And his hands are so yuge he can palm two balls within one hand. Trust me.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 pm

i gather a lot of people voted "no" because they wanted to see the whole field of potential candidates; others might have preferred someone else and had Bacari 2nd or third. In the interest of giving Bacari a proper and warm welcome that I think better reflects sentiments, I wonder if we don't need a new poll with a new question: Are you pleased to see Bacari Alexander as the Titans new coach?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball