POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby titandave » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Commissioner wrote:Here's another article saying "sources" point to Bacari as the likely choice. http://pressrowsports.com/2016/04/02/de ... t-seasons/

Interesting to note the comment in this article regarding Paris Bass .... 'serious doubts as to whether the talented Bass will be at Calihan Hall under the new leadership due to significant academic issues'.
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:59 pm

titandave wrote:
Commissioner wrote:Here's another article saying "sources" point to Bacari as the likely choice. http://pressrowsports.com/2016/04/02/de ... t-seasons/

Interesting to note the comment in this article regarding Paris Bass .... 'serious doubts as to whether the talented Bass will be at Calihan Hall under the new leadership due to significant academic issues'.

Seriously? I'm a big fan of the talent Bass has, but if you aren't interested in going to college... don't. Leave for Europe and I'm sure some team in Greece will pick you up in the near future. I hope we have him and he buys in to the new coach. If not, I think I'll get over it pretty quick.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 pm

Unless Paris agrees to taking summer classes, the discussion over his leaving or staying is meaningless. At least according to "sources". :roll:
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

As the warden said in "Cool Hand Luke," Paris has got to get his "mind right."
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:25 pm

what we have heeeerya is a fail your to comm you knee Kate
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm

I also am a fan of Paris Bass. I hope we do everything we can to convince him to stay. I think he has an oportunity to be a difference maker not only on the court but life in general. I think letting him leave without making every effort possible is a mistake. He seems like a young man 20 -21 yrs. old going on 16. His story to this point makes me think of Cyrus Mann who also had a very bright future but was cast aside.
When we shook hands with Paris, I'm sure there were promises on both sides, we took on an obligation to do the best we could for each other. To look out for his interests and make him the best contributor to society. It is posible that Paris sensed a weakness or flaw in Ray and our new coach might be the mentor Paris needs. As a Jesuit University this is a good message to send.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:09 pm

I like all these articles referencing "sources" hey mooseman! I think that's you there talkin about! ;)
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:31 pm

I think it might be, Mac. Might as well own it and laugh at myself...since everyone else is laughing at me.

UP, that is a great post on Paris and a lot to think about. Lack of maturity is often only temporary. Paris has all the skills I the world and I would hope that someone in the program can provide the guidance to help him along. I certainly hope so because no matter how much Paris has frustrated me, the team is better with him on board. And strictly from a human perspective, I hope this young man finds his way. To write off somebody at 20 years old is just wrong. I think a lot of us forget just how young that is and how little we knew at that age...and even now. The truth is we are all a work in progress.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby uofdfan83 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Unlike last time, I am sure there will be no third party headhunter company hired, no search committee, no "meeting of high-level donors" to survey type of coach desired, etc. etc. This is/will be "all Vowels" and I am OK with that.

I suspect we will have a press conference on Monday, April 11, just in time for the April Signing Period. If, as appears likely, the next week will be one of: 1) completing Bacari's background investigation; and 2) checking with others to confirm the choice; and 3) interviewing a couple others to at least confirm in Vowels' mind that Bacari is the right choice (or not), the following thought has run through my mind.

Earlier I posted that with JJ as one assistant, BA could easily go out and hire a veteran X and O guy. However, another scenario is this:

BA could also easily accumulate an entire squad of four qualified coaches who all played together under PW. An immediate list includes Rashad, Desmond Ferguson, EJ Haralson, Brian Alexander (longtime coach/teacher in the PSL) and Marc Mazur (runs his own Rashad-like development program in California). All would be at least be interested (in fact Mazur was in town a couple years ago for the Titan Club Special Needs Camp and we had just that conversation about the possibility if Bacari ever became head coach). And if he wanted to hire from a previous era (the Sicko era), he could hire Ramsey Nichols.

My question:
This would be unique -- would it also be good? Certainly, defense would be a priority. We would have a combination of former guards and big men as coaches who learned defense under Perry and then went their own ways from there. I am sure, for example, that EJ has picked up something about Xs and Os in 13 years under David Greer, who was more of that than a recruiter as a PW assistant. You would figure these guys would all be on the same page. Would we note a lack of basketball diversity if BA went this route? Would this reunion recreate the magic? Is there a downside to this form of nepotism?

And finally, would they embrace Perry's input? I am sure that Perry would be willing and still able to provide valuable consulting to a Bacari or JJ-led squad.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 & 87
uofdfan83
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Tom,

That would make for a compelling story, if Bacari goes this route and is successful to any degree, someone should write a script and send it to Hollywood, would be one heck of a movie and some good publicity for the school. Make for some interesting basketball that's for sure!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:38 pm

When Detroit played at Duke in the early 2000s the announcers pointed out that the game featured the only two teams in the NCAA with coaching staffs made up totally of former players for the head coaches.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 am

uofdfan83 wrote:Unlike last time, I am sure there will be no third party headhunter company hired, no search committee, no "meeting of high-level donors" to survey type of coach desired, etc. etc. This is/will be "all Vowels" and I am OK with that.

I suspect we will have a press conference on Monday, April 11, just in time for the April Signing Period. If, as appears likely, the next week will be one of: 1) completing Bacari's background investigation; and 2) checking with others to confirm the choice; and 3) interviewing a couple others to at least confirm in Vowels' mind that Bacari is the right choice (or not), the following thought has run through my mind.

Earlier I posted that with JJ as one assistant, BA could easily go out and hire a veteran X and O guy. However, another scenario is this:

BA could also easily accumulate an entire squad of four qualified coaches who all played together under PW. An immediate list includes Rashad, Desmond Ferguson, EJ Haralson, Brian Alexander (longtime coach/teacher in the PSL) and Marc Mazur (runs his own Rashad-like development program in California). All would be at least be interested (in fact Mazur was in town a couple years ago for the Titan Club Special Needs Camp and we had just that conversation about the possibility if Bacari ever became head coach). And if he wanted to hire from a previous era (the Sicko era), he could hire Ramsey Nichols.

My question:
This would be unique -- would it also be good? Certainly, defense would be a priority. We would have a combination of former guards and big men as coaches who learned defense under Perry and then went their own ways from there. I am sure, for example, that EJ has picked up something about Xs and Os in 13 years under David Greer, who was more of that than a recruiter as a PW assistant. You would figure these guys would all be on the same page. Would we note a lack of basketball diversity if BA went this route? Would this reunion recreate the magic? Is there a downside to this form of nepotism?

And finally, would they embrace Perry's input? I am sure that Perry would be willing and still able to provide valuable consulting to a Bacari or JJ-led squad.

83, Ramsey played under the late Ricky Byrdsong. Also, I've heard that multiple former players have contacted Vowels lobbying for B.A. Vowels has told them that he's going to hire the best candidate and if that person turns out to be B.A then he'll get the job. If not someone else will be hired. I'm glad that Vowels is going to due his due diligence and is attempting to avoid cronyism.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 am

R.B.J1 wrote: Also, I've heard that multiple former players have contacted Vowels lobbying for B.A. Vowels has told them that he's going to hire the best candidate and if that person turns out to be B.A then he'll get the job. If not someone else will be hired. I'm glad that Vowels is going to due his due diligence and is attempting to avoid cronyism.

Glad to hear that. All these rumors about BA may have come from the players wishes.

All this talk about assistants made me think of a story. After talking with Perry for 5 minutes at a Titan Club golf outing a few years ago, Mickey B. said "that was the longest conversation I ever had with Coach." This was a few years after PW retired, and after they had coached and worked together for years.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am

this has come up before on this thread about jj. what makes anyone here think jj is not an X's and O's guy? my bet is that he is. he is now and always has been a student of the game, a point guard. a winner under one of the best floor generals in the game. a couple if years as a highschool coach and a noname macomb county high dances deep into the highschool tourney. a year here and he has CB believing in himself and using his skill set in a positive way. he is tough and solid. we could do a lot worse.
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:40 am

titanmac wrote:this has come up before on this thread about jj. what makes anyone here think jj is not an X's and O's guy? my bet is that he is. he is now and always has been a student of the game, a point guard. a winner under one of the best floor generals in the game. a couple if years as a highschool coach and a noname macomb county high dances deep into the highschool tourney. a year here and he has CB believing in himself and using his skill set in a positive way. he is tough and solid. we could do a lot worse.

Have people been claiming that JJ was not an X's and O's guy? I may have missed it, but I only remember that coming up about BA.

Also, I really don't think you can equate Mt. Clemen's HS success with great X's and O's by JJ. I would think it would be more attributed to a much higher caliber group of players that played there while JJ was in charge. In the end, he had Jr, McFolley and Blackshear on the team and still didn't bring home a Class C title. Bringing up Mt. Clemens would more be a knock on his X's and O's than anything, in my opinion.

That said, I would fully expect JJ to be a good in-game coach. I'm just hesitant in stating that he should get the job due to his lack of coaching experience. Honestly, if two years of leading a Class C HS basketball team met the prerequisite for head coach of University of Detroit Mercy, it would be surprising to me. Not saying he wouldn't turn into the greatest coach in college basketball history... just saying the track record isn't there. In fact, there really is no track record as he just started putting it together in the coaching space.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 am

My view...I don't think it can be understated, for a school like ours, to get someone with deep Detroit and Michigan ties. That means knowing the basketball scene - by either playing in it, or having recruited from it. This means knowing the AAU teams, coaches, etc. Same with the high schools. A totally new, non-Michigan face around here would give us growing pains on recruiting front. Just look at the evolution of Ray's recruiting -- early on tons of JuCos, transfers, etc. Lately he's racked up some serious wins with home talent like Hogan, McFolley, Blackshear, Allen, etc.

For Bacari - he is well liked at UM by players and fans alike. And the fact he's stayed on with Beilein for so long says a very well respected head coach also likes him. That all says something to me. Others have mentioned his passion, and I agree that would be a nice boost to our program. Bacari is known on twitter to go on long runs of tweets, largely inspirational or directly praising/complimenting players on the team. I also like his ties to UD(M). He was here for some special moments and you know he'd have the drive to get a return to that.

JJ related...the one quote a few pages back said that Vowels hired JJ for Ray's staff. Seems the Head coach would hire the assistants? Interesting if true that the AD got so directly involved. JJ brings alot of the above that Bacari does except for the coaching experience since he was instead in the NBA.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this change will be a good thing for the Titans - whoever it is ends up being HC.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 am

"Earlier I posted that with JJ as one assistant, BA could easily go out and hire a veteran X and O guy." that's just one such reference baller, there were other similar references. i'm not going to go find all of them. besides that, talent alone is not enough to field a tournament caliber team...ask ray!

showing up and building the team jj did in a couple of years is no accident. its the sign of a person who has more than a fair idea of what it is he's about. also, i am not surprised that a school, with no history for excellence in their athletic program, would be in a position to readily absorb that kind of success and publicity without creating an internal stir of sorts. to me jj was a victim of his own success there.

i never really ever had any doubt that jj is high on the bball iq scale and has the talent and skill set to go with it. comes down to this. in my experience winners win wherever they are. it doesn't usually take long. a recent example is harbaugh at michigan. he comes in...takes what he's been given, add's a few pieces and voila! a turnaround! some guys might take a three years if they don't have much to start with but cream rises to the top.

having said all that, i am surprised that noone around here considers willie green to be coaching material?

and! having said that! ( leave me be-- i'm on a roll here) i am even more surprised that anyone thinks its a good thing to be "all uof d" for coaches--or anything else for that matter? not saying we don't need dedicated people or that we don't have a great bunch of home grown talent to choose from. we do. just saying that a fresh perspective, like vowels has brought to the table, is often a good thing. i applaud garibaldi for going outside the uofd family for this and "that woman" for going out and getting ray when she did. i think ray's perspective was a breath of sorely needed fresh air in an athletic department drowning in a sea of "uofd" personnel. too much of the same breeds complacency and a willingness to say to yourself..."its always been that way here".

vive le difference!

my final thought on all of this. assuming waters is really available, which seems a bit incongruous to me, he would be the perfect foil to allow jj a couple years to mature as a d1 coach, assuming, as some of you do, that he needs that? on top of all that, he has a stellar reputation as both a recruiter and a coach. so if this is something more than table talk? i would be all for it. he would be my first pick. jj my second.

i started logging in to the cleveland board to see what if anything they had to say on this topic---but got mired down in the computer speak and decided i wouldn't be able to remember another password anyways. anyone who is already on that board have any input?
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:37 am

Just a couple of observations here. Nothing insider, just thinking.

1. It's quite possible that Vowels brought in JJ as a statement to Ray that he needed to produce. Kind of a daily reminder that this was his last chance.
2. As far as Waters mentoring JJ, if Vowels wants to do that he should hire JJ as head coach and bring in a seasoned vet as an assistant, not the other way around. Let JJ learn how to be a head coach while establishing himself. Kinda like tossing him into the deep water but providing a vet assistant as a life vest. That will provide a brand and a long-term continuity rather than another four- or five-year regime.
3. Has Willie expressed desire to coach? I thought he entered this current NBA season looking for one final season as a pro.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 pm

not sure that willie has or hasn't? just sayin. as for jj? i am fascinated that vowels made that call nct, there had been speculation that that was the case but its unusual and more proactive than a typical ad would be? seemingly confirmed now, i find it very revealing about vowels and his decision making. this is not intended to be critical at all, or praisworthy necessarily, just interesting to me.

if vowels thought jj was ready it would be good enough for me. i can live with any of the choices being bandied about. nevertheless, i'm not sure that the ad wants to be in the business of routinely hiring or firing assistants? i'd guess under most circumstances coaches need latitude in hiring their assistants....
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacari_Alexander

Just sayin. Pretty good resume if you ask me.
titanmike
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball