POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby Titan Jim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

+1 on Bacari
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

i think bacari wrote that bio TM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:43 pm

titanmac wrote:i think bacari wrote that bio TM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree. It reads like he just finished typing it out. Off topic (a little) from the wiki bio:

Alexander's creative and inspiring pregame speeches, often involving props, were credited with keeping the team loose and ready to compete. Before a game against Michigan State, Alexander wore a construction hat and safety goggles while urging the group to "go to work". Before the team's Sweet Sixteen game against Kansas, he placed a picture of a Jayhawk (Kansas' mascot) in a birdcage and told the team "The JayHawk needed to be caged".[8][12] Before Michigan's Elite Eight victory over Florida, Alexander sent one of the team's student manager to purchase a can of Pringles potato chips and then placed a Pringle on the shoulder of each Michigan starter and inspired the team to "play with a chip on its shoulder".

I remember watching some of these pregame speeches on TV and almost being embarrassed a little. As a player, I can't believe any of them would keep me loose and excited to play a big basketball game. They could only be described as corny, really. Basically, if he's our guy I hope he does away with the Mickey Mouse pregame speech. :oops:
udballer
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:53 pm

I took a lot of ribbing from family members, when Dick Vitale spoke on television. The low key Ray McCallum approach certainly didn't work for us. There was no joy in Titanland.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 pm

...fast forward 1 year into the future as the 12-seed Detroit Titans are preparing for their first round matchup with the 5th seeded Arizona Wildcats....

BA (to team assistant): "Run to the vending machine and grab be some Pringles."

Assistant: "I don't think I've ever seen Pringles in a vending machine before."

BA: "Any chip damnit! Just go grab me a bag of chips!"

Assistant: "Yessir." [runs off to grab to grab a 7 month old bag of Better Made BBQ]

McFolley (speaking to Blackshear): "Man, I was not feeling it in warmups out there. This gym is huge. Did you have any problems shooting out there?"

Blackshear: "I don't shoot anything outside of 4 feet, Josh. You know this. Why would you ask me that? Are you nervous?"

McFolley: "Not nervous, just a little bit tight. Is there a massage therapist around here? We need to show out tonight. We need to bring our "A" game."

Blackshear: "You got that right. I was surprised 'Zona got handed a 5-seed. I thought they'd be no worse than a 3. They walked through the Pac-12 tourney."

McFolley: "Damn. Good luck man. Let's try to do somethin out there."

[In the background, BA opens a bag of Better Made and begins walking through the locker room placing chips on player's shoulders]

Bass: "God Damn, Coach. You getting chip dust all over my f**kin uniform!"

Brundidge: "I stopped eatin this sh*t two years ago to get in shape, now you just throwin 'em in my face like this? WTF?"

BA: "What I'm saying is... I want you all to play with a chip on your shoulder! You see what I did there?"

McFolley: "We are gonna murder these Wildcats!"

Blackshear: "Ain't no stoppin' us now!"

Jenkins: "That's what I'm talking about, Titans!!!"

Bass [mumbling to himself]: "Man, muthaf***in chip dust all up on my #35."

Detroit Titans - 91
Arizona Wildcats - 67
udballer
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:06 pm

udballer wrote:Before the team's Sweet Sixteen game against Kansas, he placed a picture of a Jayhawk (Kansas' mascot) in a birdcage and told the team "The JayHawk needed to be caged".

If he could put a real grizzly in a cage that would be cool, and maybe motivating. If anyone could I would bet BA could . . . and maybe Hogan.

Or the chip idea. I like that too. :lol:
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

These remarks have been really entertaining. Funniest stuff I have ever read on any message board! Never laughed so hard! Thanks!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 pm

:lol:
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmac wrote:i think bacari wrote that bio TM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree. It reads like he just finished typing it out. Off topic (a little) from the wiki bio:

Alexander's creative and inspiring pregame speeches, often involving props, were credited with keeping the team loose and ready to compete. Before a game against Michigan State, Alexander wore a construction hat and safety goggles while urging the group to "go to work". Before the team's Sweet Sixteen game against Kansas, he placed a picture of a Jayhawk (Kansas' mascot) in a birdcage and told the team "The JayHawk needed to be caged".[8][12] Before Michigan's Elite Eight victory over Florida, Alexander sent one of the team's student manager to purchase a can of Pringles potato chips and then placed a Pringle on the shoulder of each Michigan starter and inspired the team to "play with a chip on its shoulder".

I remember watching some of these pregame speeches on TV and almost being embarrassed a little. As a player, I can't believe any of them would keep me loose and excited to play a big basketball game. They could only be described as corny, really. Basically, if he's our guy I hope he does away with the Mickey Mouse pregame speech. :oops:

Rest assured he is maturing, hell even TitanMac hasn't fully matured yet :D
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Funny stuff indeed, but doesn't dissuade me from believing that he can make a difference.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:02 pm

wow. there's some decent imagination around here lately! I like it!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:57 pm

uofdfan83 wrote:First of all, if Waters were interested and available, you've gotta interview him. He is a helluva coach and a good recruiter who always scares me when I see him on the visitor's bench. Having said that, I cannot believe CSU would let him go to a league rival. But if he applies, go after him, even at the risk of pissing off another Horizon League institution.

As to JJ: I absolutely love JJ. After Thunder, my favorite Titan EVER. A winner and a leader from Day One -- how many guys can step in as a starting freshman PG and lead the way he did. But here's the thing: he's got ONE year of college coaching, 2 years of high school coaching, and some baggage from the way he left Mt Clemens. I don't care about the baggage, but some people will. He played professionally forever. Good for him. He earned it all. As a result, his coaching career started late. He has to learn all the nuances of what is allowed by the NCAA, etc. I don't know how you even give a lead assistant job to a guy with just one year of coaching. But I want him on the staff. Move him up in the ranks. Most of the current team will stay if he does. He is a motivator, a recruiter, a winner, and with some help from Bacari, led this team to greatness back in the late 90s. His son is just a bonus. I want him as an assistant, no matter who we hire.

Bacari. Is he a gamble. Yes. But I would take the gamble because we might hit the jackpot. He has all the charisma, the suits, the smile, the quick wit, the charm. I admit, I like that. I think we need it. It will bring fans, it will bring media attention. And it will bring players, and it will engage the student body to support the team. His fight and enthusiasm will engage us all to work together on this thing, and it will be FUN to be a part of the Program again.

The big criticism I have heard about BA going back to when he was an assistant here at U-D is that he isn't an X and O guy. They said his "scout" work on opponents was always the weakest of the assistants back when -- that Mondro was much better at it than Bacari. Two things: 1) I would hope that he's picked up a thing or two in these years with Beilien. Beilien is a true X and O genius. 2) With Bacari and JJ, you've got your recruiting covered. He can afford to go out and get an older coach who is striclty an X and O mastermind. Roll out a general philosophy and find someone who can implement the detailed Xs and Os of that program philosophy. JJ and Bacari would be on the same page from the get-go. Find someone else who would be able to help put that philosophy into action.

Some people think BA is just a con man, a good talker. Let me bring up another example. Most people around the country never knew Dickie V before he became an announcer. They think it must be an act he puts on for TV, that no one could really be like that. I know that's the real Dickie V because that's who I saw in the Memorial Building every day. He's not putting on an act -- he's just being himself.

Bacari was not the most talented player. But he used every once of talent he had for the team. He would claw, grab, and fight for every inch of court. He left nothing on the court. He gave his all. He played for the TEAM. He wanted to win with every ounce of his body. He was a leader on and off the court. In his 2 seasons, we went to the NCAA tourney twice and won 2 NCAA games, beating St Johns and UCLA. We stomped Butler in the League Championship Game his senior year with Walter Craft at center. If Bacari can impart his will and passion for winning onto the team, the Xs and Os won't even matter.

So what I am saying is: Vitale's "act" on TV is no act. Bacari's enthusiasm and passion and personality are no act either. He played that way. He is that way in real life. If selected, will he be the right choice? I don't know. But I would gamble, because mediocrity sucks. Go for the home run when you can. Bacari would breathe life into the Program.

This is an excellent synopsis on why Bacari Alexander should be our coach. At first I wasn't sold on B.A. but after re-reading your post I am ready to give him the keys. Someone else posted his resume (TitanMike?) and it looks good. I'll admit I was a heavy Dwayne Stephens lean, but I've changed my mind, I believe B.A. might be the best candidate.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

So, if Bacari becomes the U of D Head Coach, does Beilein hire McCallum as an Assistant Coach?
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:So, if Bacari becomes the U of D Head Coach, does Beilein hire McCallum as an Assistant Coach?

I think that is McCallum's best option. He would be a great recruiter at any BC$ school.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 pm

ExcitedTitan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote: Also, I've heard that multiple former players have contacted Vowels lobbying for B.A. Vowels has told them that he's going to hire the best candidate and if that person turns out to be B.A then he'll get the job. If not someone else will be hired. I'm glad that Vowels is going to due his due diligence and is attempting to avoid cronyism.

Glad to hear that. All these rumors about BA may have come from the players wishes.

All this talk about assistants made me think of a story. After talking with Perry for 5 minutes at a Titan Club golf outing a few years ago, Mickey B. said "that was the longest conversation I ever had with Coach." This was a few years after PW retired, and after they had coached and worked together for years.

I find that very strange because I've ran into coach Watson on several occasions in the past 15 years and I've spoken to him for a minimum of 10 minutes each time. Very strange that Mickey Barret would say that considering he was an assistant coach under P.W for almost 10 seasons.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:32 pm

I was thinking the same thing rb. doesn't sound like either man?
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:34 pm

kinda interesting that ba doesn't do all that well in either poll?
Last edited by titanmac on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:45 am

titanmac wrote:kinda interesting that na doesn't do all that well in either poll?

I don't think that many here support hiring a professional golfer as our head basketball coach. ;)

I voted "No" because I don't know who are any other candidates. I don't believe the newspapers' speculation about Waters, Dawkins et al. And I'm certain that others have applied or expressed interest in applying.

My "No" vote does not mean that I am against Bacari. It means that I think the polls don't have much value at this time since we have no idea who has applied.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:17 am

Beilein practically admits that B.A. is headed to Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82734652/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Beilein practically admits that B.A. is headed to Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82734652/

Well one Michigan assistant is being hired by Milwaukee - LaVall Jordan, so I guess Beilein is going to have 2 openings
HSScout1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball