POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby dtowntitan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Beilein practically admits that B.A. is headed to Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82734652/

Where do you derive that from this article?
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 am

dtowntitan wrote:

:lol:

"The most obvious connection right now is Alexander and Detroit Mercy, which fired coach Ray McCallum. Alexander was a player and an assistant at the school and had long recruited that area for U-M.

Beilein wouldn’t answer a specific question about whether Alexander had discussions with the Titans, saying that’s the business of the assistants. But for the first time, Beilein was willing to publicly entertain the idea of having to replace staff members."
titanmike
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 am

titanmike wrote:
dtowntitan wrote:

:lol:

"The most obvious connection right now is Alexander and Detroit Mercy, which fired coach Ray McCallum. Alexander was a player and an assistant at the school and had long recruited that area for U-M.

Beilein wouldn’t answer a specific question about whether Alexander had discussions with the Titans, saying that’s the business of the assistants. But for the first time, Beilein was willing to publicly entertain the idea of having to replace staff members."

I would not say that that is practically admitting that he is heading to Detroit. The author of the article is who you are quoting saying the most obvious connection, which yes it is, and even if Beilin says that Bacari has spoken to Detroit, I would hope that we have spoken to many different people, I would not assume that means that he is heading to Detroit.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 pm

dtowntitan wrote:

I agree. This is generically written and I don't get that from the article either. The fact that LaVall Jordan has already accepted the UWM job only furthers the idea that Beilein could have been thinking specifically of Jordan when answering these questions.

I think that the most likely scenario is BA coming to Detroit... but I wouldn't use this article as any kind of proof.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

udballer wrote:
dtowntitan wrote:

I agree. This is generically written and I don't get that from the article either. The fact that LaVall Jordan has already accepted the UWM job only furthers the idea that Beilein could have been thinking specifically of Jordan when answering these questions.

I think that the most likely scenario is BA coming to Detroit... but I wouldn't use this article as any kind of proof.

I know, that is why I had sarcasm :lol:
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Wasn't directing toward you, Mike. Just adding my two cents regarding RBJ original post.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

udballer wrote:Wasn't directing toward you, Mike. Just adding my two cents regarding RBJ original post.

Oh I know
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanKev83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:12 pm

I agree that Waters is a good coach. But, I don't see us gaining much by bringing in another middle age coach--who, I believe is older than Ray. If we want experience, why didn't we just retain Ray? That said, I want a hard charger who sees us as 5-7 year project and if successful, cashes in the chips with a bigger school. Our job is not a lifer job. Our job is a turnover job IMHO. The program has always run in cycles--some good--some not so good--for decades! I know we want to be Gonzaga or, even a version of Butler before they went bigger and better. I don't think we'll ever be like those two, though. The university only has so much money and I think--willingness to spend on athletics. If the best hard charger is Bacari--then so be it. Hopefully, if selected, BA gives us the sizzle we need and most importantly, we beat Oakland!
Kevin Byrnes, Titan Supporter-Former TC Board Member
TitanKev83
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:25 pm

the amazing thing about the polls here is how little support ba is getting. I don't really think waters is an option. I don't think the league is ready to start poaching coaches. kinda unheard of in most circles. besides what's his incentive to leave one hl program for another? doesn't compute. nevertheless, if he were available I'd grab him. mentor jj for a couple years. not that I think jj needs it. just think it couldn't hurt.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:48 am

titanmac - About 7 people think JJ should be promoted to Head Coach. Others, like myself, voted "No" in this poll because we don't really know who are the other options. My "No" vote does not mean that I oppose hiring Bacari. It means that I opposed committing myself to one candidate a few days after the firing announcement before seeing who else may be interested in the job.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:35 am

Branden Hunter reported on twitter that he heard JJ Sr is headed to Michigan as an assistant coach. I kinda doubt this is true but Hunter is a fairly reliable source of info. No matter who we hire as Head coach, I want JJ on our coaching staff. I felt he was a big positive for us last year, he seems to have a good relationship with the players, and he's one of our own.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 am

HSScout1 wrote:Branden Hunter reported on twitter that he heard JJ Sr is headed to Michigan as an assistant coach. I kinda doubt this is true but Hunter is a fairly reliable source of info. No matter who we hire as Head coach, I want JJ on our coaching staff. I felt he was a big positive for us last year, he seems to have a good relationship with the players, and he's one of our own.

I don't know Branden personally, but based upon my sources the information is false. Hunter is more of a football guy anyway. As for whether he stays at U of D is another question worth considering.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

You really can't have both JJ and Bacari. At least not for long. If Bacari is hired--he's 39 years old--JJ's promotional path at UD is blocked and I presume he'll look to move. The exception would be if JJ stays this first year for lack of better opportunities (it's already getting a bit toward the late side of hiring for assistants), and Bacari has enough immediate success that JJ can figure Bacari moves on to a P5/Big East/A10 school in a couple years, and he would be the logical successor. But I don't think we're going to see JJ spend 6-30 years waiting for Bacari to either peter out (a la Perry or Ray) or hang em up in a glorious retirement bash.

Anybody know anything about the personal relationship between the two? Obviously they played together on champion teams at UD, but I've never heard much at all about their relationship.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:41 am

Interesting tweet from Bacari yesterday:

Bacari Alexander ‏@bacari34 12 hours ago
Love being on the recruiting trails for Michigan! The future is NOW! #101
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:51 am

You really can't have both JJ and Bacari. At least not for long

Of course, the naming of co-winners of some awards at the last team banquet could be a preview of a new coachibng organization ... ? :?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 am

HSScout1 wrote:Interesting tweet from Bacari yesterday:

Bacari Alexander ‏@bacari34 12 hours ago
Love being on the recruiting trails for Michigan! The future is NOW! #101

I wouldn't read anything into that. Bacari is a fixture on twitter and very loyal, he isn't going to do anything differently one way or another.
titanmike
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:09 am

I agree with commissioner that we will not have both bacari and jj.also, depending on who is named the head coach will probably want to name his own assistant coaches.
baseball59
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Commissioner wrote:You really can't have both JJ and Bacari. At least not for long. If Bacari is hired--he's 39 years old--JJ's promotional path at UD is blocked and I presume he'll look to move. The exception would be if JJ stays this first year for lack of better opportunities (it's already getting a bit toward the late side of hiring for assistants), and Bacari has enough immediate success that JJ can figure Bacari moves on to a P5/Big East/A10 school in a couple years, and he would be the logical successor. But I don't think we're going to see JJ spend 6-30 years waiting for Bacari to either peter out (a la Perry or Ray) or hang em up in a glorious retirement bash.

Anybody know anything about the personal relationship between the two? Obviously they played together on champion teams at UD, but I've never heard much at all about their relationship.

I agree we cant have them both for long. I believe B.A. is on his way and JJ will be lead the assistant. I can see JJ remaining with us at least until his J.J. Jr.'s Senior season @UDM.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Commissioner wrote:You really can't have both JJ and Bacari. At least not for long. If Bacari is hired--he's 39 years old--JJ's promotional path at UD is blocked and I presume he'll look to move. The exception would be if JJ stays this first year for lack of better opportunities (it's already getting a bit toward the late side of hiring for assistants), and Bacari has enough immediate success that JJ can figure Bacari moves on to a P5/Big East/A10 school in a couple years, and he would be the logical successor. But I don't think we're going to see JJ spend 6-30 years waiting for Bacari to either peter out (a la Perry or Ray) or hang em up in a glorious retirement bash.

Agree with this. In fact, the fact that JJ is popping up in UofM rumors makes me think even more that BA will be the next coach of the Titans. I think JJ will immediately replace BA at Michigan and be the primary recruiter of the Detroit area.

I also think we will still get Jr on campus.

I also think I still vote for Lou Dawkins as the next coach.

Have a good weekend.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 pm

vowels knows. I think whatever happens is already pretty much a done deal. I think if jj wants it it's his.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball