POLL: new coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

who do you want?

jermaine jackson
33%
bacari alexander
26%
gary waters
15%
lou dawkins
26%

Total votes : 27

POLL: new coach

Postby titanmac » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:43 am

ok. just based on the reported candidates. whatdya think?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 am

Has anyone heard if Dwayne Stephens is interested?

I am for JJ as our next coach, however, I'll support who ever our AD and committee selects. After all, when a little known asst coach from Rutgers was named as our head coach in 1973 who thought that one day the court would be named after him.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udmperry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:33 am

Jim Crews? No vested interest. Just a name I saw. Why not toss it out? Like a lotto ticket. Would be so cool to win the pool on a wild guess, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crews
udmperry
Senior

Postby udmperry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:36 am

Kirky: JJ proved he could recruit for the Bathers!!
udmperry
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:03 am

Without revealing my source, Voice, Dwayne Stephens is very much not interested, I have heard.

I am not familiar with Lou Dawkins. Anyone have more information?

Regards BA, his pedigree is fine but this change is to deal with the Xs and Os issue, I would think. if he has a weakness in that area, that's a problem.

Regards JJ, his pedigree is also fine. His coaching experience is too short, I would think.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:08 am

No positive vote from me yet. Crews and Waters are too late in their careers to be of much interest to me. I would have loved them 10 years ago. I think it important that we get someone with enthusiasm who believes that at Detroit, increasing the visibility of the program is more important and harder to do than at most schools. Ray did a good job representing the University, but I would have liked to seen him more often. Love him or hate him, Kampe is out and about promoting the University and himself.

With all the competition for the Sports entertainment dollars, media coverage and our small footprint in the Metropolitan Area, we need a dynamic individual willing to go out and broadcast the Titan Brand.

Many of you know that I am not a Vitale fan, but I do remember him down at Cobo Hall at many Piston games when no one knew he was and before the program became visible. He had those loud sports coats, big glasses and would go up to anyone who would listen, put his arm around them and take tickets out of his sport coat and put them in their pocket or hand. I don't think that approach would work today, but the energy and enthusiasm he put into promoting the University (and himself) can translate to today's reality in some manner. Our new coach should have some those qualities as well as being a good recruiter, X's and O's etc.

I certainly don't have the knowledge to make the decision, but trust our AD to do his job and evaluate the candidates with those qualities in mind. I hope no one is chosen because of their University history, but because of what they will add to that great history in the future.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:20 am

Denny, thanks regarding feedback on Dwayne Stephens.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:29 am

Big Chuck wrote:Love him or hate him, Kampe is out and about promoting the University and himself.

Love him or hate him? Is there a question there?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:05 pm

udmperry wrote:Kirky: JJ proved he could recruit for the Bathers!!

He has also proven he can recruit at UD. How do you think McFolley and Blackshear landed in our laps. I think JJ was the lead recruiter on Allen as well. Not sure who got the big guy out of Sacramento but my guess is it was Ray or a connection thru Ray Jr..
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Put Trent Johnson on the list (TCU, Nevada, Stanford, LSU). He had a less than stellar time at TCU this year, but he has taken 3 teams to the Dance. He is probably looking for a place to prove he "still has it". He is only about 60 and has a proven track record.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:24 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Put Trent Johnson on the list (TCU, Nevada, Stanford, LSU). He had a less than stellar time at TCU this year, but he has taken 3 teams to the Dance. He is probably looking for a place to prove he "still has it". He is only about 60 and has a proven track record.

That's an interesting thought.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 pm

I think this guy is worth a good look.

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/ ... 62210.html
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:I think this guy is worth a good look.

I realize that we are in Detroit and everything but... Maserati Rick?
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:33 pm

udballer wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:I think this guy is worth a good look.

I realize that we are in Detroit and everything but... Maserati Rick?

Good call, UDBaller. That was one of those names that rang out in the City during the wild 80s. That crossed my mind, as well.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Glad someone appreciated it. His assistant coaches could be Butch Jones and the Chambers brothers. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 pm

udballer wrote:Glad someone appreciated it. His assistant coaches could be Butch Jones and the Chambers brothers. :)

The ball boys could be the youngest members of YBI. :)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks to Dam for the trip down gang member memory lane!
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks to Sam! Damn auto corrects and swipe texting! :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:29 pm

I would prefer a younger coach to an older guy like Waters, though I think Waters could succeed at Detroit and do so with the current talent. I'm happy with Bacari or JJ or any number of people the University could choose. But what I'd be looking for would be a young assistant at a good program, especially one that indicates some understanding of the challenges of a mid-major, or a young guy who's won in his first head coaching job (or possibly two) at lower majors. I tend to think that, while not the only relevant factor, generally the best predictor of someone's future W-L record is past W-L record.

It looks like we've already got a short list (maybe a list of 1, according to some), but for the heck of it, here are some current head coaches I'd be wondering about--knowing almost nothing about most of them but age and current success. Age is in parens.

Jon Coffman, IPFW (42). 24-10 in his second season at IPFW, with regular season Summit title. Was assistant to Tony Jasick, who left IPFW after 25 win season in 2014.

Steve Forbes, East Tenneessee State (51). Actually a bit older than I thought. Former assistant to Gregg Marshall at Wichita, took over at E. Tenn. St. and went 24-10 this year in first season. At ETSU, signed Michigan hs class of '16 all-stater Jason Williams from Detroit Allen last fall, so he must know our state's prep/AAU scene at least a little.

John Becker, Vermont (47). 5 straight 20 win seasons at Vermont. Was promoted from assistant at Vermont.

Will Brown, Albany (44). Brown was just 30 when made interim head coach at Albany, and it took him a while to get going-- his first three teams won a total of just 19 games, then 13 games in his 4th year. Since then he's had 5 NCAA bids in the last 11 years, averaging over 18 wins a year.

Bashir Mason, Wagner (32). Already a head coach for 4 years. Three of his teams won 19 or more--this year's Wagner team went 23-11, won the NEC regular season title, and beat St. Bonaventure in the first round of the NIT. Played at Drexel.

Dana Ford, Tennessee State (31). Took team from 5 wins in 2014, the year before he took over, to 20 wins this year and 2nd place OVC finish. Played college ball at Illinois State and was team's defensive player of the year -- might be valuable at Detroit. Another former assistant for Gregg Marshall at Wichita. Before that led Chioppola JC to 3rd place finish in national Juco championship.

Brent Reed, Lehigh (43). HC at Lehigh for 9 years now, with 7 winning seasons, 3 twenty win seasons (27 wins one year), 2 NCAAs. Not as impressive a record as some I'm listing, but he's done it at an urban, private, highly selective school.

Matt McCall, Chattanooga (34). Went 29-6 and won Southern Conference regular season and tournament this year in first year as head coach. I love this guy, actually. Started as student manager at Florida, then became Director of Basketball Operations after graduation. Was in that role for Florida's 2007 national title. Got a job as an assistant coach in 2008 at Florida Atlantic, then back to Florida in same role in 2011, and then hired at Chattanooga last year. Plays a run and gun offense with pressure defense.

Pat Kelsey, Winthrop (40). Winthrop went into the dumpster after Gregg Marshall left. Kelsey has pulled them back out with 20, 19, and 23 wins the last 3 years (he's been there 4 years). Won Big South regular season this year. Played at Xavier, originally from Cincinnati, so might like return to midwest. Was assistant at Wake Forest and Xavier before Winthrop job.

Nicholas McDevitt, UNC-Ashville(36). 22-12 and NCAA bid this year, his third at UNC-Ashville.

Scott Cherry, High Point (35). Has won 4 straight Big South regular season titles (but yet to win conference tournament and NCAA bid).

I'll add one other name: Steve Baruth, the head coach at Saginaw Valley State. He's 38. SVSU had 2 winning seasons (14-13 and 16-12) in 14 years when he took over. They hadn't won 20 games since 1986. In 4 years at SVSU, he's won 12, 9, 21, and 25 games, making the D-II elite 8 this year.

Whether these guys have what it takes to be successful at Detroit, I don't know. But on paper, they're coaches I'd be asking about.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:33 pm

udballer wrote:Thanks to Dam for the trip down gang member memory lane!

If we're ever at a game together, I'll share some stories I remember from that time. :shock:
Motor City Sam
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball