POLL: new coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

who do you want?

jermaine jackson
33%
bacari alexander
26%
gary waters
15%
lou dawkins
26%

Total votes : 27

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Do you think our AD has voted in the new coach poll yet :?:
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Maybe. There appear to have been a couple extra votes for JJ since the last time I looked, so maybe he just chimed in?
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm still disappointed that Carlos Briggs was not an option in the poll.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I'm still disappointed that Carlos Briggs was not an option in the poll.

Me too. I'm still interested in how a community college all-star team could do in the Horizon. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:56 pm

udballer wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I'm still disappointed that Carlos Briggs was not an option in the poll.

Me too. I'm still interested in how a community college all-star team could do in the Horizon. :D

:lol: Maybe we can set a new trend if BA is coach and we recruit players who can only play globetrotter style. We may not win, but we sure will look good. J/K.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 pm

uh. I'm pretty sure we just had 8 years of that.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby uofdfan83 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:50 pm

If he hasn't had his interview yet, he's not in the running. We're in the final background check right now on Robert's choice, and there will be a press conference this week.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 & 87
uofdfan83
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:51 pm

"Heath said he sent his resume and other pertinent information to Detroit’s administrators but hasn’t yet heard back."

Yup, totally in the running.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:57 pm

I figured it was a long shot, I found it interesting that the story came out a couple of hours ago.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:49 pm

The latest - JJ interviews along with others and a new name, Vince Taylor who was with Tubby at Texas Tech. Encouraging is the statement that JJ figures to remain on staff whether or not he gets the head coach job.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /83199922/
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:31 pm

ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Gary Waters is not giving up. :D

http://twitter.com/EvilGaryWaters?lang=en
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:04 pm

HSScout1 wrote:The latest - JJ interviews along with others and a new name, Vince Taylor who was with Tubby at Texas Tech. Encouraging is the statement that JJ figures to remain on staff whether or not he gets the head coach job.

Vince Taylor has a great background. All conference player at Duke under Coach K. Assistant under Denny Crum, Rick Pitino, and Tubby Smith. Played in the NBA and has NBA coaching experience as well. Known as a top notch recruiter. He's another strong candidate.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskb ... 50440.html
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:The latest - JJ interviews along with others and a new name, Vince Taylor who was with Tubby at Texas Tech. Encouraging is the statement that JJ figures to remain on staff whether or not he gets the head coach job.

Vince Taylor has a great background. All conference player at Duke under Coach K. Assistant under Denny Crum, Rick Pitino, and Tubby Smith. Played in the NBA and has NBA coaching experience as well. Known as a top notch recruiter. He's another strong candidate.

Alot to be excited about with some of the guys up for this job. Taylor seems to have an excellent pedigree as well. Only negative there may be not having any ties to Michigan in general. Otherwise, not much not to like. I wonder if he's been up for any HC jobs in the past? Without knowing him, I think he's down at the bottom of my personal list, next to Stephens.

Happy to read that Dawkins may be interviewing. He's still got my vote, especially if JJ would remain on staff.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 pm

udballer wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:

Alot to be excited about with some of the guys up for this job. Taylor seems to have an excellent pedigree as well. Only negative there may be not having any ties to Michigan in general. Otherwise, not much not to like. I wonder if he's been up for any HC jobs in the past? Without knowing him, I think he's down at the bottom of my personal list, next to Stephens.

Happy to read that Dawkins may be interviewing. He's still got my vote, especially if JJ would remain on staff.

Taylor was in line for a mid major job last year, but took himself out of consideration. I can't remember the school. I think he was under consideration for a Summit League job this year.

One plus to hiring Taylor: With Coach Smith now at Memphis, we might finally get that rematch with the Memphis Tigers. :-)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Taylor was a candidate at UIC when they hired Howard Moore several years ago. He is currently rumored as a finalist for the job at South Dakota State that opened up when Wright State hired SDSU's coach. He was also mentioned this year at Texas-Rio Grande (formerly Pan-American). And at UNC-Wilmington a year or so ago. Good assistants get mentioned. The "negative" fact that they are "passed over" may be less significant than the "positive fact that they are mentioned.

Taylor's a bit older than I'd like to see -- he'll be 56 when practice starts -- but it's a good resume.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Commissioner wrote:Taylor was a candidate at UIC when they hired Howard Moore several years ago. He is currently rumored as a finalist for the job at South Dakota State that opened up when Wright State hired SDSU's coach. He was also mentioned this year at Texas-Rio Grande (formerly Pan-American). And at UNC-Wilmington a year or so ago. Good assistants get mentioned. The "negative" fact that they are "passed over" may be less significant than the "positive fact that they are mentioned.

Taylor's a bit older than I'd like to see -- he'll be 56 when practice starts -- but it's a good resume.

Ageist. ;)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:46 am

If Stan Heath is not interviewed I don't think I will be giving a dime to Men's basketball for a long time, he's a proven winner who wants the job.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby uofdfan83 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:58 am

There are many qualified candidates. Some of us bitch the process is taking too long. Some bitch that we aren't interviewing so-and-so and if Robert interviews everyone who is qualified this process would take 3 months. The key is to get the right person for U-D at the right time. Personally I hope that BA or JJ will be paraded in front of the podium this week. But either way, I will be there in support. This is Robert's call, and the decision is in good hands. We'll see everyone at the Press Conference, with bells on, and smiles all around. Go Titans.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 & 87
uofdfan83
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball