POLL: new coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

who do you want?

jermaine jackson
9
33%
bacari alexander
7
26%
gary waters
4
15%
lou dawkins
7
26%
 
Total votes : 27

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:15 am

I have to agree with Tom, too many people complain about every aspect of this. Vowels was hired to be the AD, let him do his job and then if he messes up do the threats and so on. Honestly the amount of negativity on this board is ridiculous, about the AD, about the coach about the president about the students about the fans and now ironically about the board. Lets get the right guy for the job, there is no reason to doubt the AD on this, he did a good job with the previous hires and lets support our program on moving forward! Go Titans!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: St. Clair Shores

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:24 am

kirky313 wrote:If Stan Heath is not interviewed I don't think I will be giving a dime to Men's basketball for a long time, he's a proven winner who wants the job.

Look, let's be clear -- I like Stan Heath, I think he's a pretty good coach. I wouldn't object if we hired him.

But this cracks me up, frankly. Stan Heath is 51. His career record is 209-207. He has 1 NCAA bid in his last 7 seasons as a HC. Basically, his profile is almost identical to that of Ray.
Last edited by Commissioner on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:35 am

He's Been to the dance at 3 major programs. Ray never went to the dance at a major school. I don't really want to hire him, as I told someone this am, I want them to fly him in and let him make his pitch.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: the clem/yack town

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:50 am

Look, let's be clear -- I like Stan Heath, I think he's a pretty good coach. I wouldn't object if we hired him.

But this cracks me up, frankly. Stan Heath 51. His career record is 209-207. He has 1 NCAA bid in his last 7 seasons as a HC. Basically, his profile is almost identical to that of Ray.


Plus Ray's teams beat Heath's teams in 2013 at USF and the leftovers at Calihan in 2014. Under these circumstances, why would he even merit an interview if he could not even beat the coach he would replace? Just asking the question I'm sure that Vowels asked himself when he received Heath's application and resume.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:52 am

Dr. G will have a lot of say in the hiring too, I would imagine, since the new coach will be probably be the second highest paid university employee. Both Dr. G and Robert seem to be very thoughtful and take their time making decisions. I doubt there was "a leading candidate" before Ray was let go, and I would bet they have/will consider a lot of potential coaches. They may also have a different criteria than us. They may or may not look favorable on ties to the university, past head coaching experience, college coaching experience, reputation, age, or message board posters' opinions. While the decision will not make everyone jump up and down, I am sure most will not complain (until the new coach goes 7-21).
ExcitedTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:20 pm

I hope with the right hire we can avoid 7-21 and build on the mediocrity which has plagued this program for the last couple of years instead of taking a step back to take 2 forward.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: St. Clair Shores

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby udballer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:19 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I hope with the right hire we can avoid 7-21 and build on the mediocrity which has plagued this program for the last couple of years instead of taking a step back to take 2 forward.


I think we'll be just fine so long as we hire a good coach. There is too much talent already on the roster to really even turn in a worse record than this past season. Unless of course, the new coach implements the Pro-Style offense as opposed to our normal spread-option. :D
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I thought the spread was our defensive scheme.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:13 pm

I know some of you guys want a young coach. I have even read here that coaching is a young man's game. Here is an article about a 74 year old coach that I had the pleasure to personally watch at both St. Joseph and Benton Harbor High Schools. I know he is football coach, but he makes the point that many times age is an asset and not a liability with the right attitude and drive. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high- ... /73633956/
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Don't trust anyone over 40.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:34 pm

That's funny, I don't trust anyone under 40.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 pm

I remember how stupid I was when I was under 40.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:I know some of you guys want a young coach. I have even read here that coaching is a young man's game. Here is an article about a 74 year old coach that I had the pleasure to personally watch at both St. Joseph and Benton Harbor High Schools. I know he is football coach, but he makes the point that many times age is an asset and not a liability with the right attitude and drive. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high- ... /73633956/

Joe, my preference goes to something else--I want a younger coach simply because I think there's a higher upside. It's not the age, really--that's just a rhetorical shortcut. It's more that we generally know what the older guys can do, and usually, if they can get a program like ours back to some national relevance, they're not interested in coming to a program like ours. It wouldn't take much to sell me on Coach K! Or, more realistically, someone like Keith Dambrot (57) at Akron, or Gary Waters, who got some rumor attention. I'm not advocating discrimination on the basis of age. What I'm saying is that realistically, most coaches over age 50 are either guys who have never had enough success to move to the higher levels of the game (so why would they be successful with us) or who are dropping back after having come up short at the higher levels. And that's not the resume I'm interested in. I want someone who can go 28-6 within 5 years. And usually, that's not a guy with a long track record yet to whom the UD job would be appealing. So though I say "age," what I really mean is a coach at a certain stage of his career -- a gambler's bet with a higher upside (and quite possibly a lower downside). It would be great to get a great coach who would stay here 20 years, but more realistically, I want a great coach with the knowledge and understanding that, regretfully for us, he'll likely move on after 4 to 6 years. We need a couple of those hires to get to the point where such a coach will then stay longer.

So that's why I have meant, at least. But you bring me John Calipari (57), and I'm there!

P.S. I remember Uzelac from his days at WMU. Interesting to see he's still engaged in the game.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:44 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I have to agree with Tom, too many people complain about every aspect of this. Vowels was hired to be the AD, let him do his job and then if he messes up do the threats and so on. Honestly the amount of negativity on this board is ridiculous, about the AD, about the coach about the president about the students about the fans and now ironically about the board. Lets get the right guy for the job, there is no reason to doubt the AD on this, he did a good job with the previous hires and lets support our program on moving forward! Go Titans!

While I appreciate the sentiments, I note that since it's season ended (2 days later than ours) Wright State fired its coach,did a search, hired South Dakota State's coach, and then South Dakota State launched a search and got a coach hired nearly a week ago. I agree that this is more important to get right than to get quick. But the fact is it is not impressive to go this long. This is prime recruiting season, with an evaluation period and a signing period running simultaneously, and this really can't be helpful that this is going so long. I suspect, without looking it up (a very un-Commish approach) that ours is the longest open vacancy so far this year.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Hopefully, you learn with age. Lots of coaches, like Homer at Valpo, got better with age. Besides, if the coach has great success, you will only keep him for 3 or 4 years. If he is a middle packer, you get him for 8 years (or 20+ with Calihan).
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:46 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Hopefully, you learn with age. Lots of coaches, like Homer at Valpo, got better with age. Besides, if the coach has great success, you will only keep him for 3 or 4 years. If he is a middle packer, you get him for 8 years (or 20+ with Calihan).

I think coaches who have changed jobs and then done better than in the past after age 55 are few and far between. Can we think of any? Basically, you know what you're getting, and if they're guys who can win 25 games a season, at that age they're not looking at Detroit. Generally, they've got resumes about like Ray's. We could do a whole lot worse than Ray. But it seems odd to fire him just to hire him back. As for Homer Drew, he was in his early 40s when he got the Valpo job. But did he even get better with age? His last 9 years at Valpo (after the 1 year Scott interlude, starting at age 59) he was 135-121, with 0 NCAA/NIT appearances the last 8. Sounds more or less like Ray.
Last edited by Commissioner on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby dennycrane » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 pm

I think there's very darn few of us who really know much about Bob Calihan as our coach, St. Joe, and certainly I don't. I do know he made 4 appearances in major tournaments in the '60s with All American talent on the roster and his jersey resides in our rafters for his playing career as well. It was very difficult to make the tournaments in those days, unlike today. He was very loyal to UD as well. I would hardly call him a middle of the pack coach because he had the job 21 years. it's somewhat insulting.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby titanmac » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 am

while there's certainly nothing wrong with having the same coach twenty years when he becomes the symbol of a great program it's hardly a goal to aspire to. change is a hallmark of a dynamic, successful bureacracy and managing that change in a positive way is the hallmark of a strong organization. building that kind of program should be our goal.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Commissioner wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:I have to agree with Tom, too many people complain about every aspect of this. Vowels was hired to be the AD, let him do his job and then if he messes up do the threats and so on. Honestly the amount of negativity on this board is ridiculous, about the AD, about the coach about the president about the students about the fans and now ironically about the board. Lets get the right guy for the job, there is no reason to doubt the AD on this, he did a good job with the previous hires and lets support our program on moving forward! Go Titans!

While I appreciate the sentiments, I note that since it's season ended (2 days later than ours) Wright State fired its coach,did a search, hired South Dakota State's coach, and then South Dakota State launched a search and got a coach hired nearly a week ago. I agree that this is more important to get right than to get quick. But the fact is it is not impressive to go this long. This is prime recruiting season, with an evaluation period and a signing period running simultaneously, and this really can't be helpful that this is going so long. I suspect, without looking it up (a very un-Commish approach) that ours is the longest open vacancy so far this year.


What do you mean, "...without looking it up..."? So what're we supposed to do?!
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: POLL: new coach

Postby titanmac » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:19 pm

think maybe I'm gonna look it down mooseman?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests