assistant coaches

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: assistant coaches

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Sort of under the radar, Mickey was working at Oakland the past year in athletics academic support. He bleeds red though, and I'm sure he's glad to be back with the Titans. Connects great to alums.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:43 pm

with all the available scholarships now filled all we need is an official announcement of the 2 new assistant coaches.
baseball59
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:03 pm

baseball59 wrote:with all the available scholarships now filled all we need is an official announcement of the 2 new assistant coaches.
and to announce our move to the Big East ! ....by recruiting 3 bigs we have literally outgrown the HL :D
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:45 pm

let's go!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Sort of under the radar, Mickey was working at Oakland the past year in athletics academic support. He bleeds red though, and I'm sure he's glad to be back with the Titans. Connects great to alums.

I met Mickey briefly at Oakland this year when the only seats left were in the OU student section. After first suggesting, jokingly, I find a couple of pretty blondes to sit with (he really did), he gave me the go ahead to sit in one of the empty handicap seats. I was surprised because I had thought that the seats were only for people with physical handicaps. I was also surprised that he could tell after only a few minutes of talking with me. It took MC Sam a good 20 minutes to figure it out. I ended up sitting with Dan of book fame, who's not a blonde.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:58 am

whatever happened to ba saying he would announce his assistant coaches on 06/06.we do have our elite hs camp on Wednesday and it would be odd to get the he players interested in us if we do not even have our full staff in place.
baseball59
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 am

5 minutes ago, Bacari tweeted.

Bacari Alexander ‏@bacari34

My wife and I are pumped to welcome our new coaching staff into Titan Territory. Details coming soon. #TheATeam
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 am

baseball59 wrote:whatever happened to ba saying he would announce his assistant coaches on 06/06.we do have our elite hs camp on Wednesday and it would be odd to get the he players interested in us if we do not even have our full staff in place.

relax
titanmike
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:57 am

titanmike wrote:
baseball59 wrote:whatever happened to ba saying he would announce his assistant coaches on 06/06.we do have our elite hs camp on Wednesday and it would be odd to get the he players interested in us if we do not even have our full staff in place.

relax

Thanks Mike!
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:13 am

Would it be bad if I said U of Buffalo got Lindsay Hunter as an assistant?
titanmike
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:50 pm

No. But not a bad pick up
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:18 pm

last I heard Lindsey hunter is an announcing at 105.1 and doing a fine job. so he wants to be an assistant at buffalo?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:11 pm

I guess so considering he took the job.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:39 pm

titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:41 am

I could've sworn I heard Hunter on the radio yesterday. Excellent hire for UB. Hopefully we'll hire our new coaches before the fourth of July. :roll:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 am

Pete Kahler and Canaan Chatman are now listed as Assistant coaches

Coaching Staff
NAME TITLE
Bacari Alexander '99 Head Men's Basketball Coach
Jermaine Jackson '99 Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Canaan Chatman Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Pete Kahler Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Mickey Barrett Director of Program Personnel & Operations
Kal Riebau Graduate Assistant Coach
Matthew Hasse Graduate Assistant Coach

http://detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 am

The Bios:

Canaan Chatman
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach

Phone:
Email:
Twitter:

Canaan Chatman joined the University of Detroit Mercy men’s basketball coaching staff as an assistant in June of 2016.

"Coach Chatman's national AAU and high school connections provide a borderless aspect that helps bolster our recruiting efforts at Detroit Mercy,” said head coach Bacari Alexander. “His deep connections specifically in Baltimore, Illinois, Northern Indiana and Washington D.C., will prove to be valuable in the immediate future. The fact that he is originally from Chicago provides instant credibility for our program in that area. His ability to connect and mentor young people was something that stood out as well in our discussions over recent years."

Chatman is a well-known and highly successful AAU coach serving as the Adidas Grassroots Basketball Northwest Regional Director from 1999-2007 and the Nike Elite Youth Basketball Northwest Regional Director for the last eight years. In those positions, he was able to evaluate and develop relationships with some of the top high school and college players as well as high school and college coaches in the game.

He was the director of the Adidas Superstar Camp from 2002-2007, where he planned and coordinated, in accordance with the NCAA, a five-day athletic and academic skill-building session for 200 elite U.S. and international basketball players.

Chatman has also been the director of the Great Northwest Summer League since 1999, a seven-week skill development basketball summer league for all regional collegiate and professional basketball players, as well as director of the SEI/ Nike Boys Basketball Camp since 1993, which is a one-week life skills camp that uses basketball as the incentive in understanding that “Life has Options”.

He is also the founder, Executive Director and head coach of Journey’s Foundation and the founder and President of Courtside Entertainment, with both of those located in his hometown of Portland, Oregon. Journeys Foundation is a non-profit organization geared towards inner city student-athletes, using athletic incentives as positive motivation towards high school graduation and secondary educational opportunities. Courtside Entertainment is a sports entertainment group founded on individualism and creativity and also has publishing rights in the music, literary and film.

Chatman starred on the court as a player in high school and college. He started his collegiate career at Oregon State before transferring to Portland Community College. He then finished his collegiate career at the University of Portland earning team MVP honors in 1994 and 1995. He led the Pilots in rebounding in both years with 8.1 in 1993-94 and 6.8 in 1994-95, and also topped the team in scoring with 18.3 points as a senior. A two-time First Team All-West Coast Conference selection, he is the fastest person to reach 1,000 points in Portland history needing just 58 games, while his 1,021 overall points is 31st in school history and his 17.3 points per game ranking fifth. As a prep, he helped Benson High School to a state championship as a senior.

He would go on to play professionally for seven seasons in the CBA as well as overseas in Australia, Dubai, Israel, Japan, Poland, Switzerland and Turkey.

Chatman graduated from Portland in 1995 as a double major in Sociology and Communications. He is the father of current Titan Kam Chatman.

Pete Kahler

Phone:
Email:
Twitter:

Pete Kahler joined the Detroit Mercy men’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in June of 2016. Kahler is well acquainted with head coach Bacari Alexander as they worked together at Ohio University and the University of Michigan.

"Pete has been a reliable and tireless worker at various stops in Division I,” said coach Alexander. “His reputation as a clinician and student of the game resonates with coaches throughout the basketball landscape. We value his contacts in Ohio, New England and several Catholic Leagues throughout the Midwest.”

Kahler spent the last six seasons with the University of Michigan men’s basketball program serving as the Director of Basketball Operations for the last three years and the team's video analyst for his first three.

"Pete has been a reliable and tireless worker at various stops in Division I,” said coach Alexander. “His reputation as a clinician and student of the game resonates with coaches throughout the basketball landscape. We value his contacts in Ohio, New England and several Catholic Leagues throughout the Midwest. I am really excited for coach Kahler to join our Detroit Mercy family!”

In addition to general administration of the program, Kahler managed the Wolverines budget, scheduling, team travel, training table as well as assisting in the direction of the Wolverines’ basketball camps. He also assistaed the staff with the video operations for the program.

He was a part of some of the greatest years in Michigan basketball history aiding the program to a pair of Big Ten championships as well as a Final Four and national runner-up appearance. In his six years, U-M averaged 23 wins per season and made five NCAA tournaments.

Before that, he worked with head coach Tim O’ Shea at Bryant University and Ohio University for a total of four years. At Bryant from 2008-10, he was the Director of Basketball Operations and was responsible for the program's video coordination, team travel, the monitoring of player's academics and directing all of Bryant's summer basketball camps. He also assisted in the program's transition from Division II to Division I.

At Ohio from 2006-08, he was a graduate assistant helping the Bobcats’ coaching staff with video scouting reports and handling the team's travel and operational activities, all while serving as the program’s assistant director of summer basketball camps.

He is a 2006 graduate of fellow Jesuit institution Xavier University with a bachelor's degree in Marketing. He is married to the former Allison Duda.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 am

HSScout1 wrote:The Bios:

Canaan Chatman

Phone:
Email:
Twitter:

Canaan Chatman joined the University of Detroit Mercy men’s basketball coaching staff as an assistant in June of 2016.

"Coach Chatman's national AAU and high school connections provide a borderless aspect that helps bolster our recruiting efforts at Detroit Mercy,” said head coach Bacari Alexander. “His deep connections specifically in Baltimore, Illinois, Northern Indiana and Washington D.C., will prove to be valuable in the immediate future. The fact that he is originally from Chicago provides instant credibility for our program in that area. His ability to connect and mentor young people was something that stood out as well in our discussions over recent years."

Chatman is a well-known and highly successful AAU coach serving as the Adidas Grassroots Basketball Northwest Regional Director from 1999-2007 and the Nike Elite Youth Basketball Northwest Regional Director for the last eight years. In those positions, he was able to evaluate and develop relationships with some of the top high school and college players as well as high school and college coaches in the game.

He was the director of the Adidas Superstar Camp from 2002-2007, where he planned and coordinated, in accordance with the NCAA, a five-day athletic and academic skill-building session for 200 elite U.S. and international basketball players.

Chatman has also been the director of the Great Northwest Summer League since 1999, a seven-week skill development basketball summer league for all regional collegiate and professional basketball players, as well as director of the SEI/ Nike Boys Basketball Camp since 1993, which is a one-week life skills camp that uses basketball as the incentive in understanding that “Life has Options”.

He is also the founder, Executive Director and head coach of Journey’s Foundation and the founder and President of Courtside Entertainment, with both of those located in his hometown of Portland, Oregon. Journeys Foundation is a non-profit organization geared towards inner city student-athletes, using athletic incentives as positive motivation towards high school graduation and secondary educational opportunities. Courtside Entertainment is a sports entertainment group founded on individualism and creativity and also has publishing rights in the music, literary and film.

Chatman starred on the court as a player in high school and college. He started his collegiate career at Oregon State before transferring to Portland Community College. He then finished his collegiate career at the University of Portland earning team MVP honors in 1994 and 1995. He led the Pilots in rebounding in both years with 8.1 in 1993-94 and 6.8 in 1994-95, and also topped the team in scoring with 18.3 points as a senior. A two-time First Team All-West Coast Conference selection, he is the fastest person to reach 1,000 points in Portland history needing just 58 games, while his 1,021 overall points is 31st in school history and his 17.3 points per game ranking fifth. As a prep, he helped Benson High School to a state championship as a senior.

He would go on to play professionally for seven seasons in the CBA as well as overseas in Australia, Dubai, Israel, Japan, Poland, Switzerland and Turkey.

Chatman graduated from Portland in 1995 as a double major in Sociology and Communications. He is the father of current Titan Kam Chatman.

Pete Kahler

Phone:
Email:
Twitter:

Pete Kahler joined the Detroit Mercy men’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in June of 2016. Kahler is well acquainted with head coach Bacari Alexander as they worked together at Ohio University and the University of Michigan.

"Pete has been a reliable and tireless worker at various stops in Division I,” said coach Alexander. “His reputation as a clinician and student of the game resonates with coaches throughout the basketball landscape. We value his contacts in Ohio, New England and several Catholic Leagues throughout the Midwest.”

Kahler spent the last six seasons with the University of Michigan men’s basketball program serving as the Director of Basketball Operations for the last three years and the team's video analyst for his first three.

"Pete has been a reliable and tireless worker at various stops in Division I,” said coach Alexander. “His reputation as a clinician and student of the game resonates with coaches throughout the basketball landscape. We value his contacts in Ohio, New England and several Catholic Leagues throughout the Midwest. I am really excited for coach Kahler to join our Detroit Mercy family!”

In addition to general administration of the program, Kahler managed the Wolverines budget, scheduling, team travel, training table as well as assisting in the direction of the Wolverines’ basketball camps. He also assistaed the staff with the video operations for the program.

He was a part of some of the greatest years in Michigan basketball history aiding the program to a pair of Big Ten championships as well as a Final Four and national runner-up appearance. In his six years, U-M averaged 23 wins per season and made five NCAA tournaments.

Before that, he worked with head coach Tim O’ Shea at Bryant University and Ohio University for a total of four years. At Bryant from 2008-10, he was the Director of Basketball Operations and was responsible for the program's video coordination, team travel, the monitoring of player's academics and directing all of Bryant's summer basketball camps. He also assisted in the program's transition from Division II to Division I.

At Ohio from 2006-08, he was a graduate assistant helping the Bobcats’ coaching staff with video scouting reports and handling the team's travel and operational activities, all while serving as the program’s assistant director of summer basketball camps.

He is a 2006 graduate of fellow Jesuit institution Xavier University with a bachelor's degree in Marketing. He is married to the former Allison Duda.

Damn ya beat me to it :D
titanmike
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:20 am

Now that it's official, one other thing to keep and eye on (as pointed out 1st by Larrytitan on the other board) - Canaan Chatman has a younger son and brother to Kameron, class of 2018 SF Khalil Chatman who is 6'6" and can definitely play ball
HSScout1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball