assistant coaches

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: assistant coaches

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am

Titans96 wrote:Since our new coach doesn’t recruit anymore, who is going to find and bring in these 6 scholarship players?

If you don’t think getting strong assistant coaches is important, just look at the success of the Titans program since JJSr was forced onto Ray. The program became close to (if not) the worst D1 program. Why do you think almost all of those strong D1 State of Michigan high school players chose not to play for the Titans?

Re-read my post please.

I never said assistants weren't important, merely that we don't need to know who they are as of today. We have to trust in Mike Davis right now.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm

The fact that we don’t have any assistant coaches yet elevates my overall concern that Vowels is still running the show and Davis has no authority to do anything. Vowels has proven his total incompetence, yet we still have him running our Athletic Department? Davis has no assistant managers yet, and we don’t have any candidates for the 6 scholarships. How does this not raise any concerns?

The Titans will be lucky to win 6 games this upcoming season, and it seems more ominous that Vowels is still running the show and Davis has no authority. Davis knows how important it is to have strong assistant managers helping him. This all smells of Vowels trying to tell Davis who he should hire.

Davis may be regretting his decision for all we know. I wouldn’t be surprised if Davis left the program before the season starts because of his incompetent boss.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Titans96 wrote:Since our new coach doesn’t recruit anymore, who is going to find and bring in these 6 scholarship players?

If you don’t think getting strong assistant coaches is important, just look at the success of the Titans program since JJSr was forced onto Ray. The program became close to (if not) the worst D1 program. Why do you think almost all of those strong D1 State of Michigan high school players chose not to play for the Titans?

For chrissakes, give the JJ thing a rest.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Titans96 wrote:The fact that we don’t have any assistant coaches yet elevates my overall concern that Vowels is still running the show and Davis has no authority to do anything. Vowels has proven his total incompetence, yet we still have him running our Athletic Department? Davis has no assistant managers yet, and we don’t have any candidates for the 6 scholarships. How does this not raise any concerns?

The Titans will be lucky to win 6 games this upcoming season, and it seems more ominous that Vowels is still running the show and Davis has no authority. Davis knows how important it is to have strong assistant managers helping him. This all smells of Vowels trying to tell Davis who he should hire.

Davis may be regretting his decision for all we know. I wouldn’t be surprised if Davis left the program before the season starts because of his incompetent boss.

Just because they are not posted, doesn't mean we don't have them.
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Commissioner wrote:

Davis knows what he is doing. He has gotten 5 good commits since taking the job. I would bet he has a few assistants out beating the bushes. Maybe better if our competition doesn't know who the asst. coaches are. Leave the guy do his job! It's not imperative that we use up all the scholarships and then have nothing available if a really great player shows interest. Remember it's quality not quantity. Jerry Tarkanian used to say "the secret is to have 8 great players and 4 who can cheer like crazy."Someone is working Texas as we just offered 4 players down there, a 6'11"guy, two 6'9" guys and a 6'7" guy. All received offers from Detroit. I think only one player Davis has offered thinks he is playing at Mercy.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

Davis knows what he is doing. He has gotten 5 good commits since taking the job. I would bet he has a few assistants out beating the bushes. Maybe better if our competition doesn't know who the asst. coaches are. Leave the guy do his job! It's not imperative that we use up all the scholarships and then have nothing available if a really great player shows interest. Remember it's quality not quantity. Jerry Tarkanian used to say "the secret is to have 8 great players and 4 who can cheer like crazy."Someone is working Texas as we just offered 4 players down there, a 6'11"guy, two 6'9" guys and a 6'7" guy. All received offers from Detroit. I think only one player Davis has offered thinks he is playing at Mercy.

I know of Davis, Knight, and Holland. Who are the other two?
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am

Somebody is making offers to a lot of players for this year and future years.

To be accurate here, Coach Davis said that while he would spend most of his time working with his current players, he expected to get out a little here and recruit.

However he does it, his track record at all three schools shows that his methods have been successful in a higher conference (C-USA) and a lower conference (SWAC). Whether something is announced this week or in two weeks will not make a difference in how this year's team plays in the 2018-19 season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:33 pm

The hiring and approval process is moving along and we should have an announcement within two weeks.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:40 am

Will Finch is one of them. He was our Dir of Basketball Operations under Coach McCallum. Indiana University connections.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Rod Strickland, Mike Davis Jr. and Tracy Dildy will be named as assistants
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks hsscout1 for your diligent research.

Finch seems very excited to be coming back here and working with Coach Davis. That's always a good sign.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titansfan313 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:02 pm

If this is true, I'm not impressed with this staff at all. Coaches always seem to hire guys they know instead of hiring the right guys for the job. Usually you can tell right away if a coach knows what he is doing by what guys he hires on his staff. Plus there are zero ties to the state of Michigan on this staff.

Tracy Dildy-He had a record of 2-40 the last three seasons in the WAC conference at Chicago State and an overall record of 4-83 against D-1 opponents the last three seasons for a winning percentage of 4%.

Rod Strickland-Yes he has NBA experience and was on Calipari's staff in some capacity, but he was on a horrible staff at South Florida where they went 27-70 overall and 9-44 in the AAC in three terrible seasons. He has also been arrested a couple of times for DUI's and also was arrested for driving with a suspended license too.

Mike Davis Jr.-Head Coaches son. Not sure what his qualifications are outside of being the head coaches son.

Will Finch-I hope this isn't the same Will Finch who was the DOBO here about 8 years ago? I was told Will was fired as DOBO at U-D because he didn't know how to do his job well.

I think if you put a bunch of names in a hat and randomly pick them out you can come up with a better staff. I understand that Chicago State and South Florida are difficult places to win at, but Detroit isn't an easy place to win at either. What makes you think they can turn things around here?
Titansfan313

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:09 pm

New development here: Rod Strickland says he has had conversations with Mike Davis, but has not accepted a position at Detroit Mercy.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:30 pm

I don’t think you can judge Tracy Dildy based on his record at Chicago State. No one could win there.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 pm

I really like the Dildy hire. Seems well respected and has midwest ties.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Titans03
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Tracy Dildy was a Mike Davis assistant at UAB in his first year there when Davis and his staff had to start over after 8 players left when Davis became coach. Dildy's assistant's pedigree is outstanding.

He started at Ball State, then DePaul, then Auburn, then Ole Miss, then UAB with Davis, then UIC. Finally, he took the Chicago State HC job. That was his only HC job in 25 years of coaching experience.

If true, this is a good hire for an assistant's position.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Will Finch posting a photo from Calihan Hall.

https://twitter.com/wlfinch
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 pm

CoachingChanges has long been a stickler for having local ties on a coaching staff.
Titans03
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball