assistant coaches

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: assistant coaches

Postby Titans96 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:36 am

Just what we need, another terrible assistant coach whose son is a player who couldn't even start on an awful Michigan team (Titans could have beaten them easily last year). Also, the NCAA won't allow the father to be on the Titans staff and bring his kid to the team if he hasn't been on the staff for at least 2 years. Please see the NCAA rules.

I hope BA strengthens his staff, because he is currently not helping himself or the team.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri May 13, 2016 7:52 am

Titans96 wrote:Just what we need, another terrible assistant coach whose son is a player who couldn't even start on an awful Michigan team (Titans could have beaten them easily last year). Also, the NCAA won't allow the father to be on the Titans staff and bring his kid to the team if he hasn't been on the staff for at least 2 years. Please see the NCAA rules.

I hope BA strengthens his staff, because he is currently not helping himself or the team.

Yeah, that Michigan team was so damn awful that they got an at-large bid to the NCAAs and won a game. "Titans could have beaten them easily last year"? Give me a break.

Helluva lot of negativity around here three weeks into the failed Bacari Alexander regime. "The recruits suck!" "The assistant coaches suck!" "I will never attend a Titan game again. I'll root for Oakland!" "He's taking too long." "He's not out recruiting enough!"

Makin' me think the "root for Oakland" thing isn't a bad idea, though perhaps for different reasons than our young avatar puts forth.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri May 13, 2016 8:10 am

Makin' me think the "root for Oakland" thing isn't a bad idea, though perhaps for different reasons than our young avatar puts forth.

:o :shock: :D
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 am

Titans96 wrote:Just what we need, another terrible assistant coach whose son is a player who couldn't even start on an awful Michigan team (Titans could have beaten them easily last year).

Actually, we would have been behind by 12 after five minutes, played them well for 27 minutes and then folded down the stretch and lost by 18. (Assuming the spread was, oh, 17.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 am

This forum has been hilarious lately. We are now flunking BA on his pretend Asst Coaching staff that he hasn't put together / announced yet, goes hand in hand with grading his 1st recruiting class when only Allen has been announced (secured via Ray).

NCT did give a very accurate play by play of the hypothetical UM/UD matchup. :)
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Alex Berry » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am

It is accurate. Not sure what rule the above poster is speaking about (see Dedrick Lawson and fater) but it is going to happen.
Alex Berry

Postby Titans96 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:35 am

NCAA rule prohibits anyone associated with a prospect or a student-athlete — a parent, a coach, a friend, a trainer — from being hired in a support staff role within two years of that student-athlete enrolling at the University.

Just what the Titans need, an NCAA violation.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 am

Titans96 wrote:NCAA rule prohibits anyone associated with a prospect or a student-athlete — a parent, a coach, a friend, a trainer — from being hired in a support staff role within two years of that student-athlete enrolling at the University.

Relax, UDM has a compliance officer, no way in a million years they are going to violate a clear NCAA rule.

A couple weeks ago the U-M message board said Bacari wasn't coming if JJ stayed, now the two appear joined at the hip.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri May 13, 2016 11:55 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
Titans96 wrote:NCAA rule prohibits anyone associated with a prospect or a student-athlete — a parent, a coach, a friend, a trainer — from being hired in a support staff role within two years of that student-athlete enrolling at the University.

Relax, UDM has a compliance officer, no way in a million years they are going to violate a clear NCAA rule.

A couple weeks ago the U-M message board said Bacari wasn't coming if JJ stayed, now the two appear joined at the hip.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

Rogo, I think you are attributing that to the wrong person. I have seen things on the internet attributing that to Moses. Some Moses Malone, some Moses, some Moses Alou.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Fri May 13, 2016 12:10 pm

I might be smart on this question. This hire is not a support staff. He's an assistant coach, so the rule does not effect this hire. That is for the dobo or grad manager or film spot.
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Notsosmart wrote:I might be smart on this question. This hire is not a support staff. He's an assistant coach, so the rule does not effect this hire. That is for the dobo or grad manager or film spot.

I think the release that UM gave to Cameron also plays into this.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Fri May 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Just so everyone knows, an acronym is pronounced like a word. BA is only an acronym if its pronounced like what a sheep says. Or maybe a goat. Otherwise, its called an initialism.

Thanks to those with info for sharing it.

Carry on
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

We know that JJ is in the fold. Let's assume that Chatman's dad is set up for a second assistant position. If there were another spot open, what do you say we offer it to Apples Jones based on her ties to JJ and 1Nation? If that so happens to affect the recruitment of Josh Jackson, so be it.

Just kidding, by the way. I, for one, have never been a fan of offering up a serious position to someone just to affect short-term recruiting. We tried that a while back and I don't think it worked out so well.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 13, 2016 2:51 pm

theroundsquare wrote:Just so everyone knows, an acronym is pronounced like a word. BA is only an acronym if its pronounced like what a sheep says. Or maybe a goat. Otherwise, its called an initialism.

Carry on

Quite true, TRS, for those of us who are old-schoolers; I generally am but I've conceded on this losing battle. Current definition includes initialisms: "a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism. "

My favorite example of what an acronym had evolved into is the circular TLA -- the three-letter acronym for Three-Letter Acronym.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm

No Surrender!!
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:22 pm

theroundsquare wrote:Just so everyone knows, an acronym is pronounced like a word. BA is only an acronym if its pronounced like what a sheep says. Or maybe a goat. Otherwise, its called an initialism.

Carry on

Very true. NASA is an acronym. BA, pronounced "Bee Ay" is an initialism. And BA, pronounced "Baa" is a sheep's typical utterance...phonetically spelled...I think.
BA! humbug!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 16, 2016 4:55 pm

The university has brought back Nick Wilson as Director of Strength & Conditioning. This will be for all sports - not just mens' basketball.

Very favorable quote from Eli Holman in the press release.

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2016/5/16/general-nick-wilson-named-director-of-strength-and-conditioning.aspx
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Alex Berry wrote:The other two assistants will be :

Pete Kahler from UM

Kameron Chatman's father who is an AAU Coach on the EYBL circuit out west. And yes, Chatman will be transferring to UD.

The DOBO will be Mickey Barrett.

I've read that Canaan Chatman has extensive connections with AAU programs in Oregon. It is very difficult for me to visualize Canaan Chatman convincing an AAU player whose at least serviceable to matriculate at UDM. B.A. needs to hire someone from the Midwest, with Midwest connections. I highly doubt B.A. is offering Canaan Chatman a job to sing Cam. Afterall, Cam averaged 3.2 ppg, and 1.9 rebounds per game.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Orangeville Prep head coach Larry Blunt was interviewed for one of our assistant coaching openings

Some info on Orangeville Prep/Athlete Institute - think recent commit Cole Long:

http://www.ontariosba.ca/page/show/2087 ... p-2015-16-

Coach Blunt's bio (2nd one down):
http://www.gobears.ca/coaches
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 pm

ray successfully recruited nationwide rb. it's one aspect of his successes as a former head coach. I hope that trend continues. it's a necessary condition of our going forward. I for one hope the days of viewing ourselves as a small local program dependent on the whims of local coaches and athletes is over.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball