assistant coaches

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: assistant coaches

Postby jntitan01 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:48 pm

If Larry Blunt and Cole Long come is Thon Maker far behind???? I heard he plans to be eligible by second semester. That addition would shake up the Horizon League.
jntitan01

Postby udballer » Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

jntitan01 wrote:If Larry Blunt and Cole Long come is Thon Maker far behind???? I heard he plans to be eligible by second semester. That addition would shake up the Horizon League.

It would be very surprising if Maker wound up in Detroit. Even if he did, I would hope the Blunt pipeline is much longer than a single one and done.
udballer
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

jntitan01 wrote:If Larry Blunt and Cole Long come is Thon Maker far behind???? I heard he plans to be eligible by second semester. That addition would shake up the Horizon League.

Ummmmmm.....Thon Maker is about to be a first round draft pick in the 2016 Draft. He will not be playing college basketball anywhere next season.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

dtowntitan wrote:

Ummmmmm.....Thon Maker is about to be a first round draft pick in the 2016 Draft. He will not be playing college basketball anywhere next season.

You are correct dtown. There is a rumor that the Celtics will make him a lottery pick with the third pick overall!
I'm the Dude man, just call me the Dude...
Thelurker
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 24, 2016 4:37 pm

So what's the word? Any coaching announcements coming or did we decide to roll with 2 this year? If only two, doesn't that mean JJ is the one that has to make Doritos runs for BA?
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue May 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Thelurker wrote:
dtowntitan wrote:

You are correct dtown. There is a rumor that the Celtics will make him a lottery pick with the third pick overall!

Well, let's get him signed. He'll never wear the uniform, but it will be cool on draft day: with the 3rd pick, the Celtics select Thon Maker from the University of Detroit, ahem, Mercy."
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 pm

I thought maybe ba would introduce the assistant coaches at the roundball luncheon but it does not appear that will be the case as no announcement is scheduled,
baseball59
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm

I hope that when ba announces his assistant coahes on 06/06 that one of them is from the western part of the state.there are a lot of good players from there and ba and jj are from the Detroit metro area.
baseball59
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 pm

baseball59 wrote:I hope that when ba announces his assistant coahes on 06/06 that one of them is from the western part of the state.there are a lot of good players from there and ba and jj are from the Detroit metro area.

We have two of our assistant coaches already locked in. Alex Berry notified us that Canaan Chatman will be one of the assistants,Kirky speculated that Peter Kahler will be our director of basketball operations. If these guys are correct, we only have one opening to fill. It will be interesting to see who B.A. selects.

Coach A. Jermaine Jackson
Coach B. Canaan Chatman
Coach C. TBA
Coach D. Peter Kahler
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
baseball59 wrote:I hope that when ba announces his assistant coahes on 06/06 that one of them is from the western part of the state.there are a lot of good players from there and ba and jj are from the Detroit metro area.

We have two of our assistant coaches already locked in. Alex Berry notified us that Canaan Chatman will be one of the assistants,Kirky speculated that Peter Kahler will be our director of basketball operations. If these guys are correct, we only have one opening to fill. It will be interesting to see who B.A. selects.

Coach A. Jermaine Jackson
Coach B. Canaan Chatman
Coach C. TBA
Coach D. Peter Kahler

At the Roundball Luncheon, BA said he was "sifting through almost 50 candidates and another 50 who showed interest in being on his staff", so there are no shortage of candidates.
All joking about Thon Maker aside (and although I have been wrong before), I would not rule out Larry Blunt from Orangeville Prep for one of the openings...
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

Grabbing a good coach from Ontario and trying to start a pipeline there would not be a bad idea. Coach Engel turned the golf team into a juggernaut by stockpiling the talent in Ontario on a yearly basis. Maybe the same thing could happen here?
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm

mmmmm. seems like a longshot?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 pm

titanmac wrote:mmmmm. seems like a longshot?

Agree it is a long shot. It sounds better (to me) than hiring an AAU coach from Oregon and expecting any type of pipeline to materialize from that, though.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 31, 2016 1:37 pm

lol. dunno baller. we've probably had as many recruits form the west coast as from canada during the mccollum years. maybe more? no i didn't count them, but the only canadian i can think of is calliste?

nevertheless. whadya like about this guy?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 31, 2016 3:56 pm

titanmac wrote:nevertheless. whadya like about this guy?

Nothing in particular... other than he is a head coach at a recognized basketball program somewhere outside of metro-Detroit. I've made my thoughts clear that I think we can put together a winner with Michigan talent alone... or midwest talent in general. BA and JJ have metro Detroit covered. I'd be more than happy with any proven coach being added to the roster from the west side of this state, Ohio, Chicago or Ontario.

To me, the Chatman hire smells too much of making a hire to bring in a single transfer. As others mentioned on the board before, I don't like the odds of many D-1 guys from Oregon choosing Detroit based on that hire. At least with Ontario, we've proven in another sport that it could create a successful pipeline. Again, the odds are long, and the sports are completely different... but whatever. ;)

If it were up to me, he'd add one from westside of Mike Thomas, Ramsey Nichols or Keith Guy and then add one other from Ohio/Illinois/Indiana/Toronto and be fine. Adding Pete Kahler or dude from Oregon doesn't do too much for me. That said, if that's who we bring in I'll still root them on! I hope they aren't reading this. :o
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 pm

udballer wrote:
titanmac wrote:nevertheless. whadya like about this guy?

Nothing in particular... other than he is a head coach at a recognized basketball program somewhere outside of metro-Detroit. I've made my thoughts clear that I think we can put together a winner with Michigan talent alone... or midwest talent in general. BA and JJ have metro Detroit covered. I'd be more than happy with any proven coach being added to the roster from the west side of this state, Ohio, Chicago or Ontario.

To me, the Chatman hire smells too much of making a hire to bring in a single transfer. As others mentioned on the board before, I don't like the odds of many D-1 guys from Oregon choosing Detroit based on that hire. At least with Ontario, we've proven in another sport that it could create a successful pipeline. Again, the odds are long, and the sports are completely different... but whatever. ;)

If it were up to me, he'd add one from westside of Mike Thomas, Ramsey Nichols or Keith Guy and then add one other from Ohio/Illinois/Indiana/Toronto and be fine. Adding Pete Kahler or dude from Oregon doesn't do too much for me. That said, if that's who we bring in I'll still root them on! I hope they aren't reading this. :o

I agree Baller, afterall Ontario is only 2370 miles closer than Portland,Oregon. I think we'll have a better chance getting a player out of the province of Ontario than the state of Oregon. I'd be highly disappointed if coach Alexander is hiring Cannan Chatman to land Kam, afterall Kam only averaged 3.2 ppg and 2.0 rb. in his career.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 am

I've seen the 6/6 date mentioned a few times on this board over the past few weeks. Today is 6/6. Are we expecting BA to name some coaches today or in the near future?
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 am

In rogobob77's summary of the last luncheon, he wrote that assistant coaches should be announced by June 6.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:20 pm

guess no announcement today re assistant coaches.
baseball59
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 am

Hmm, I'm waiting just a little bit longer before I upgrade my status to 'concerned' regarding the lack of a full staff at this point.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball