Malik Eichler

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Malik Eichler

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 am

i think he"s still growing?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 am

Malik congratulations on your decision to become a Titan! Great decision looking forward to watching you play.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Thelurker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 am

Willkommen an unserer Schule Malik. Sie finden hier eine große Karriere haben. Sie finden unsere Kultur, vor allem die Coney Hunde und Chili Pommes lieben!!

(Welcome to our school Malik. You will have a great career here. You will also love our culture, and you will especially love the coney dogs and chilli fries!!
I'm the Dude man, just call me the Dude...
Thelurker
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:50 am

How many scholarships does this leave us?
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Malik, welcome to the University of Detroit Mercy!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:21 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:How many scholarships does this leave us?

By my count we have one left.

Seniors: Jenkins, Grant and Williams
Juniors: Hogan, Black and Jones
Sophomores: Blackshear, McFolley and Foster-Smith
Freshmen: Allen, Long and Eichler
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby baseball59 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:07 pm

nice balanced class with 3 seniors,3 juniors,3 sophomores and 3 freshmen.
baseball59
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:11 pm

With so many of you bashing on Ackerman, I am surprised you are so high on Eichler. He came from the same high school league as Ackerman, had lesser stats and was a lower rank by the "experts". I guess we will see, but the videos of him show big challenges ahead. Maybe BA can coach him up?

Also, is it a nice balanced class based on the count or based on the skillset of the players? Seems to me that the Titans are handing out scholarships to anyone. Allen was a decent recruit by Ray, but the walk-ons may be better compared to the last 2 scholarship players added to the class.
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Maybe the problem is with "the experts" and not the players.

I don't see anyone here predicting Malik to be an immediate impact player. I see good fans welcoming a young man's verbal commitment. And 96, I see that you did not welcome his commitment. I don't like perpetually glass half empty guys.

You take a chance on every recruit. The 5 stars as well as the no-stars. I'm happy that we may have two big's in the middle that could eventually help us win some games. And we recruited two first year players with upside potential plus Corey Allen. As a mid-major seeking to rise above mediocrity, that's how you begin the process of improving. Or would you rather have us do it the Baylor and Mississippi way?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby retspooh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:07 pm

I like the ideal situation of Hogan never lining up at center again. With Blackshear, Jones, and now Eichler it's a guarantee.
retspooh
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm

baseball59 wrote:hsscout1,thanks for the info on eichler.

+1, thanks to hsscout1 for giving us the heads up on Eichler. I like his skill set, I think he'll be able to help us in his sophomore season, by his junior year he should be starting. B.A. is doing what I always thought coach McCallum should do, recruit a freshman BIG with upside...and develop him. I'd rather have a freshman to work with for 4-5 years, than a JUCO for two seaons.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Titans96 wrote:With so many of you bashing on Ackerman, I am surprised you are so high on Eichler. He came from the same high school league as Ackerman, had lesser stats and was a lower rank by the "experts". I guess we will see, but the videos of him show big challenges ahead. Maybe BA can coach him up?

Also, is it a nice balanced class based on the count or based on the skillset of the players? Seems to me that the Titans are handing out scholarships to anyone. Allen was a decent recruit by Ray, but the walk-ons may be better compared to the last 2 scholarship players added to the class.

Not many freshman centers are impact players, certainly not in mid-major. Jones is going to do three things for us: put a legit big presence on the floor, take pressure off Hogan, and give Eichler two years to develop before there is any pressure on him. The nice thing about the balance on our team now is that we don't require a power center who can score and rebound and guard the rim. If Jones can be a defensive asset and score some and rebound more then he's going to do just find. (Remember, Hogan is not a post defender and not a defensive rebounder.) With him and Blackshear and now Eichler, we are stocked with some height for the next four years.

96, you're saying the same things about our last two scholarships that other cynics and naysayers said about Evan Bruinsma and Nick Minnerath. They turned out pretty well. Same people trashed NJ but while he wasn't a star, boy, we all missed him when he was gone.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:56 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Titans96 wrote:With so many of you bashing on Ackerman, I am surprised you are so high on Eichler. He came from the same high school league as Ackerman, had lesser stats and was a lower rank by the "experts". I guess we will see, but the videos of him show big challenges ahead. Maybe BA can coach him up?

I think this is a very good recruiting class and I think Allen ( who was and is a JJ recruit) very well might show to be our best recruit since Tyler. So he is probably a lot better than decent. We have a big who is supposed to be a rim protector, a point guard who likes to play D and pass, a sharpshooter who can stretch the D and kill double teams and Eichler who could end up being the best true big to ever come out of the Horizon.The balance of this class is much better than our fan base where we have the extremely loyal fans, the semi loyal fans and then we have Negative 96.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:41 am

Wow nothing like beating up on a dead guy, just bringing him up was wrong 96. Ackerman was fantastic to listen to and brought a lot of enjoyment to Metro Detroit. Barely dead and you beat up on Al so unfairly.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:43 am

Took me a minute to realize what you were talking about Mike. I thought you were talking about Pat Ackerman there for a minute!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:23 am

Mike, not sure I get your "sense of humor" or maybe you just don't know how to read? But the simple fact is that many of the forum participants aggressively bashed the Ack Attack on this board, and in reality Eichler played in the same high school league as Ack, and Ack had far superior stats and rankings than our "future star center in the Horizon League". Also, with the excitement these board participants have for Eichler, we should be worried about losing our "star recruiter" JJ to much larger programs. If JJ can find this 7 foot diamond in the rough, and no other colleges could see the great potential of Eichler (because we know that colleges are not looking for 7 foot players all over the world) then all of these BCS schools are going to be knocking down JJ's door to get him on their staff.

Just be real. Try getting excited about the real players on this team like Jenkins, McFolley and Hogan. Focus your attention and excitement on the Titans true stars who will be successful in the Horizon League, and not the players who are so slow and unskilled that the rest of the college universe did not notice them (even though one is 7 foot and 235 lbs and the other is 6'7" and played with one of the most highly watched future NBA players in North America).
Titans96
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:35 am

96, he was referring to Al Ackerman the announcer passing. Chill out man, no one is calling Eichler the next Durant, we are welcoming a young man and hoping that the coaches, whose job it is to recruit and coach did their jobs and found a young man that will make a difference. If you are such a great recruiter, coach and evaluator of talent and JJ is soooo bad, you definitely need to give your resume to BA next week. By the way all of us are excited about Hogan, McFolley, Jenkins, Allen, AFS and so on. Lots of great potential, not excited about your negativity over nothing on this board, I am not blindly following the coaches, I am just optimistic that maybe, just maybe we can stop being mediocre like the majority of the last 8 years. If BA and JJ fail, I like many on this board will want their heads, but I am willing to give the guys the benefit of the doubt simply because he and JJ were winners as players and as coaches.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 am

According to another thread on this board, Eichler weighs in at 230 pounds. I don't recall where Ackerman tipped the scales, but I'm pretty certain it was a lot less. Pat got pushed around in his limited time on the floor; hopefully Eichler will be strong enough to stand his ground.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:05 am

ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:34 am

Hey 96, what a terrible recruit! Bad concept, a 19 yr. old guy who shoots with both hands, has pivot moves , can actually handle and shoot from more than 10 ft. and is interested in an education.
I was not a BA fan but this recruiting class looks pretty good to me especially taking into consideration the obsticals they had to deal with. Congrats a very nice class with 3 true freshmen, 2 JC's and one transfer who was a Mr. BB in his state and a top 50 recruit.
upbasketballfan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball