2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 am

I hope that dunk doesn't get him an Ohio State offer...
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail

Deadspin didn't get our name wrong. We got our name wrong
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm

I agree Voice of Reason, but the new name is here to stay and I don't think any of us should celebrate the rebrand not working. I'm sure Garibaldi wrote deadspin a letter.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I agree Voice of Reason, but the new name is here to stay and I don't think any of us should celebrate the rebrand not working. I'm sure Garibaldi wrote deadspin a letter.

Tacitus, don't give up the fight. This is only our 27th year of fighting the name change.

#The 100 Years' War!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail

Deadspin didn't get our name wrong. We got our name wrong

Truth. 27 years they've been trying to kill that brand/name and it still survives. It's like Michael Myers/Freddie Krueger/Jason Voorhies.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am

The marketplace is telling the university that extending the rebranding initiative to its sports teams is the wrong idea. The sports teams should play under the name "Detroit Titans", wear the new "DM" logo, and benefit from the long-term goodwill established by over 100 years of playing college basketball. That would also tie in the university better to the city's new growth initiatives. The unconnected public knows us by "Detroit." Many of the unconnected think our team is Mercy College that has turned into a university that is located in Detroit. Detroit Mercy as opposed to Cleveland Mercy as opposed to Podunk Iowa Mercy. It would also likely bring back some older alumni who have no connection to Mercy other than it was a place to find possible dates for the weekend. At least Coca Cola realized its mistake rather quickly and ditched "New Coke" after its core customers began walking away.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

ptctitan wrote:The marketplace is telling the university that extending the rebranding initiative to its sports teams is the wrong idea. The sports teams should play under the name "Detroit Titans", wear the new "DM" logo, and benefit from the long-term goodwill established by over 100 years of playing college basketball. That would also tie in the university better to the city's new growth initiatives. The unconnected public knows us by "Detroit." Many of the unconnected think our team is Mercy College that has turned into a university that is located in Detroit. Detroit Mercy as opposed to Cleveland Mercy as opposed to Podunk Iowa Mercy. It would also likely bring back some older alumni who have no connection to Mercy other than it was a place to find possible dates for the weekend. At least Coca Cola realized its mistake rather quickly and ditched "New Coke" after its core customers began walking away.

As I documented in another thread, a review of national media outlets this season found 73% refer to the Titan program as “Detroit”:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3482

Local media generally use “Detroit Mercy,” but typically revert to “U-D,” “UDM,” “”UD,” “U of D Mercy,” “Detroit,” etc. We went through the same thing in the early 1990s, but didn’t learn from our mistakes.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Just went out to get a latest status on Frankemuth star guard Mario Whitley. He was one that I was hoping to see accept our offer. Seems he committed to Saginaw Valley back in June. Not sure how I missed that but staying close to home must have been his #1 priority... with a bullet.
udballer
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball