2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 am

I hope that dunk doesn't get him an Ohio State offer...
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail

Deadspin didn't get our name wrong. We got our name wrong
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm

I agree Voice of Reason, but the new name is here to stay and I don't think any of us should celebrate the rebrand not working. I'm sure Garibaldi wrote deadspin a letter.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I agree Voice of Reason, but the new name is here to stay and I don't think any of us should celebrate the rebrand not working. I'm sure Garibaldi wrote deadspin a letter.

Tacitus, don't give up the fight. This is only our 27th year of fighting the name change.

#The 100 Years' War!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Damn, that was our chance to get the new name on deadspin but they got it wrong!

#RebrandFail

Deadspin didn't get our name wrong. We got our name wrong

Truth. 27 years they've been trying to kill that brand/name and it still survives. It's like Michael Myers/Freddie Krueger/Jason Voorhies.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am

The marketplace is telling the university that extending the rebranding initiative to its sports teams is the wrong idea. The sports teams should play under the name "Detroit Titans", wear the new "DM" logo, and benefit from the long-term goodwill established by over 100 years of playing college basketball. That would also tie in the university better to the city's new growth initiatives. The unconnected public knows us by "Detroit." Many of the unconnected think our team is Mercy College that has turned into a university that is located in Detroit. Detroit Mercy as opposed to Cleveland Mercy as opposed to Podunk Iowa Mercy. It would also likely bring back some older alumni who have no connection to Mercy other than it was a place to find possible dates for the weekend. At least Coca Cola realized its mistake rather quickly and ditched "New Coke" after its core customers began walking away.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

ptctitan wrote:The marketplace is telling the university that extending the rebranding initiative to its sports teams is the wrong idea. The sports teams should play under the name "Detroit Titans", wear the new "DM" logo, and benefit from the long-term goodwill established by over 100 years of playing college basketball. That would also tie in the university better to the city's new growth initiatives. The unconnected public knows us by "Detroit." Many of the unconnected think our team is Mercy College that has turned into a university that is located in Detroit. Detroit Mercy as opposed to Cleveland Mercy as opposed to Podunk Iowa Mercy. It would also likely bring back some older alumni who have no connection to Mercy other than it was a place to find possible dates for the weekend. At least Coca Cola realized its mistake rather quickly and ditched "New Coke" after its core customers began walking away.

As I documented in another thread, a review of national media outlets this season found 73% refer to the Titan program as “Detroit”:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3482

Local media generally use “Detroit Mercy,” but typically revert to “U-D,” “UDM,” “”UD,” “U of D Mercy,” “Detroit,” etc. We went through the same thing in the early 1990s, but didn’t learn from our mistakes.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Just went out to get a latest status on Frankemuth star guard Mario Whitley. He was one that I was hoping to see accept our offer. Seems he committed to Saginaw Valley back in June. Not sure how I missed that but staying close to home must have been his #1 priority... with a bullet.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

It's been quiet on the recruiting front so thought I'd bump this thread up in the event Commish or others know much of any developing news as we seek out additions to the squad.

Verbal Commits is slightly behind --> http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

I saw that 2018 SG target Bryce Washington has committed to Florida A&M, while SF target Seth Milner is now a Cleveland State Viking. Thus, per Verbal Commits we have 1 remaining target/offeree that is publicly known in SF Tray Jackson.

On Steve Bell's top 10 of Michigan players, only 1 is uncommitted at this point http://bankhoops.com/michigan-player-rankings/ A different year than many in the past where UM and MSU have taken a load of the in-state talent.

This must mean we are going an unknown route - Juco, out of state high school commit, transfer, etc. (and no, I'm not hoping this thread turns into a Ray retrospective or Ray vs BA, or why Vowels needs to go, all already covered adequately on many other threads)
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:It's been quiet on the recruiting front so thought I'd bump this thread up in the event Commish or others know much of any developing news as we seek out additions to the squad.

Verbal Commits is slightly behind --> http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

I saw that 2018 SG target Bryce Washington has committed to Florida A&M, while SF target Seth Milner is now a Cleveland State Viking. Thus, per Verbal Commits we have 1 remaining target/offeree that is publicly known in SF Tray Jackson.

On Steve Bell's top 10 of Michigan players, only 1 is uncommitted at this point http://bankhoops.com/michigan-player-rankings/ A different year than many in the past where UM and MSU have taken a load of the in-state talent.

This must mean we are going an unknown route - Juco, out of state high school commit, transfer, etc. (and no, I'm not hoping this thread turns into a Ray retrospective or Ray vs BA, or why Vowels needs to go, all already covered adequately on many other threads)

I think we had one remaining scholarship to give for next year. I'm guessing Isaiah Jones won't petition the NCAA for an additional year of eligibility, so that opens up a second one. The academic and other issues involving T Jones could open up a third scholarship. Seems like other current players could transfer. If there is a coaching change (possible, but I'd say less than 50/50 chance), the two early signees could be off the hook. With most of the high school talent signed elsewhere and off the board, we might see a lot of so-so JC players joining the Titans just to fill out the roster.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm

For the 2018-19 season; looking at players on the current roster that remaining eligibility and the LOI players .... it appears we have 2 remaining scholarships. Is that correct?

McFolley
Chatman
T. Jones
Blackshear
Allen
Long
Eichler
JJJ
Ballantyne
Hightower (LOI)
Nelson (LOI)
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:I think we had one remaining scholarship to give for next year. I'm guessing Isaiah Jones won't petition the NCAA for an additional year of eligibility, so that opens up a second one. The academic and other issues involving T Jones could open up a third scholarship. Seems like other current players could transfer. If there is a coaching change (possible, but I'd say less than 50/50 chance), the two early signees could be off the hook. With most of the high school talent signed elsewhere and off the board, we might see a lot of so-so JC players joining the Titans just to fill out the roster.

We have four seniors leaving -- Hogan, Jones, Black and Prince -- and two signed freshmen -- Hightower and Nelson. So two to give. If TJones goes then three to give.

Any update on the younger Chatman?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:I think we had one remaining scholarship to give for next year. I'm guessing Isaiah Jones won't petition the NCAA for an additional year of eligibility, so that opens up a second one. The academic and other issues involving T Jones could open up a third scholarship. Seems like other current players could transfer. If there is a coaching change (possible, but I'd say less than 50/50 chance), the two early signees could be off the hook. With most of the high school talent signed elsewhere and off the board, we might see a lot of so-so JC players joining the Titans just to fill out the roster.

We have four seniors leaving -- Hogan, Jones, Black and Prince -- and two signed freshmen -- Hightower and Nelson. So two to give. If TJones goes then three to give.

Any update on the younger Chatman?

Khalil's recruitment has been very quiet. No one is talking about it. He's not ranked by most services, and aside from an offer from Montana there isn't much information out there about him. Haven't heard of him taking any official recruiting visits anywhere. There was an isolated report last year that he had committed to Detroit, but there's been nothing else to suggest that.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 am

Earlier postings listed him as a three-star.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm

NC Titan wrote:Earlier postings listed him as a three-star.

He gets lots of excellent reviews, but Sam's summary is right--almost nothing reported. My hope (and actually, my belief, although not a very secure one) is that he is a legit three-star, and he's not getting offers because it is assumed he's coming to Detroit. As Sam mentioned, PrepHoops Oregon, which is a pretty good source, reported him as a verbal to Detroit last summer. But I think that was going too far, and I think more recently they have covered him as an uncommitted player. However, that summer report may indicate that widespread assumption that he's UD bound.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm

We need a rebounder with some size in this next class. I think we have the 2/3 positions covered next year. Getting info about potential titan recruits from 4001 W.Mcnichols is like sending the CIA to get info on Kim Jong-in.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:It's been quiet on the recruiting front so thought I'd bump this thread up in the event Commish or others know much of any developing news as we seek out additions to the squad.

Lots of mid-major competition for Tray Jackson, he is shown by VerbalCommits.com as also having offers from Loyola, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Cleveland State, Oakland, and LIU-Brooklyn.

An obvious downside of BA being on the actual or perceived hot seat is that it has got to be hurting recruiting bigly.

On a 2019 note (I'm aware there is a separate thread for that but I'll diverge slightly), there was an article about Ann Arbor Skyline's undefeated basketball team in the Detroit News earlier this week. It was mentioned that Detroit Mercy is recruiting Ryan Wade, a 6-1 shooting guard. His more talented teammate/brother Brandon Wade (averaging 22 ppg, 7 apg) has already committed to Duquesne.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:We need a rebounder with some size in this next class. I think we have the 2/3 positions covered next year. Getting info about potential titan recruits from 4001 W.Mcnichols is like sending the CIA to get info on Kim Jong-in.

Totally agree .... it would be great to sign an 'Eli Holman' type player, however, that's a long shot. At this point in time, I would be pleased if we sign a JUCO transfer that has a skill set similar to LaMarcus Lowe.
titandave
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball