2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 am

NC Titan wrote:
Commissioner wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:You guys can make fun of TitanMike (who has connections within the program) if you want. You can also make fun of BA and his staff. They haven't reeled in any big name players yet but they are going after a higher level of player. Ray is a proven good recruiter but the jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them. It's more than that, I realize. It's the league, the facility, the amenities, the dorms...but Dickie V came in dreaming the big dream and went after the big boys and eventually they started paying attention. Right now we might have to settle for some Brian Alexanders and Bacari Alexanders and hopefully a Jermaine Jackson (ironically, not just a metaphor) but eventually, if this thing starts working out, the big boys will be calling us. Right now, they are just putting the U-D offer in their back pocket while looking for other options. That will change. Not today. But it will change. Either climb on board or shut up with the gallows humor. I don't care, but it just shows that you are thinking smalltime. If we don't climb the mountain I will be disappointed, but listen to Bacari or JJ for 5 minutes and then decide if you would play for them.

Tom
To the contrary, I'm totally thinking big time. It's others who are making feeble excuses. With Loyer, I'm just stating fact--he was effectively scratched off our list a long time ago. It there is no excuse for not landing a top class this year. Dickie V got his best class his first fall-- Long, Tyler, Anderson etc. I'm glad we're offering Brandon johns and Rocket Watts. Stating reality about Loyer is just stating reality, not small-time thinking. I expect big and things and will not accept "well it's his first year " as an excuse.

Commish, You're a year off. Vitale was hired in 1973 and his first fall class was Walter Smith ("Chairman of the Boards") and Dennis Boyd ("Shake and Bake"). There were kids he had recruited while he was at Rutgers, and they instead followed Vitale to UofD. Long and Tyler were his second class, fall of 1974, which Vitale had a full year to recruit.

Long/Tyler et al were recruited in the fall of 1973, the start of the 1973-74 season. They graduated HS in 1974, and played for the Titans in the 1974-75, 75-76, 76-77, and 77-78 seasons. In other words, they were recruited at the same point in time as Bacari is now, that is to say, during Vitale's first fall.

There is no reason not to demand a quality recruiting class this year. Bacari has been recruiting Michigan for a decade--he's not some newbie from the Dakotas or something. The idea that we should give him a pass on the 2017 recruiting class because it is his first year is the real defeatism, low expectations, small time thinking.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm

who says he should get a pass? actually, i like the kids he and jj are responsible for bringing in. we'll see.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm

titanmac wrote:who says he should get a pass? actually, i like the kids he and jj are responsible for bringing in. we'll see.

Not you and me. But lots of people here have suggested that we shouldn't expect too much in this year's recruiting, it's his first year, we'll judge him after 2018, etc. I expect a good recruiting class of 2017.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

100% Commish, it should be a good recruiting class of 2017!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Commish, You're a year off. Vitale was hired in 1973 and his first fall class was Walter Smith ("Chairman of the Boards") and Dennis Boyd ("Shake and Bake"). There were kids he had recruited while he was at Rutgers, and they instead followed Vitale to UofD. Long and Tyler were his second class, fall of 1974, which Vitale had a full year to recruit.

Long/Tyler et al were recruited in the fall of 1973, the start of the 1973-74 season. They graduated HS in 1974, and played for the Titans in the 1974-75, 75-76, 76-77, and 77-78 seasons. In other words, they were recruited at the same point in time as Bacari is now, that is to say, during Vitale's first fall.

There is no reason not to demand a quality recruiting class this year. Bacari has been recruiting Michigan for a decade--he's not some newbie from the Dakotas or something. The idea that we should give him a pass on the 2017 recruiting class because it is his first year is the real defeatism, low expectations, small time thinking.

Sorry, Commish. I misunderstood when you said "Dickie V got his best class his first fall-- Long, Tyler, Anderson etc." I was thinking that you meant players his first fall, not recruits his first fall. Of course, we haven't seen who BA will sign his first year. (If anyone.)

It makes me wonder why Vitale could come into Detroit in 1973 and reap the cream of the local talent. What's different now that BA (or maybe anyone) can't come in and generate that excitement? It's not like Vitale was a star when he came to UofD; he was a nobody, couldn't even get hired by the school where he was an assistant.

Then again, high school superstars (Tyler, Long) were recruitable by small schools back then. Today, all those kids go to the big schools. No way would Jeff Ruland go to Iona or Bob Lanier to Bonaventure today. (For one thing, they're too old, for another they have no eligibility. Ha-ha.) But today the kids who could change a program nowadays are all scooped up by the P5 schools. Maybe Spencer Haywood is to blame; without him there would be no one-and-done's. Now good prep players can go to a superschool and step right in and play when a freshman stud goes pro, instead of sitting on the bench waiting for that star sophomore or junior or senior to graduate.
RIP Titan Reggie #DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurTurnOurCity #RememberTheTitans
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Regarding the success that Vitale had recruiting right away, I have heard him and others give a lot of that credit to Smokey Gaines, who knew the City and the high school coaches and players. Smart hire by Vitale. A recent similar example is the recruiting success that new coach Jamie Dixon is having at TCU, due in no small part to the hire of an assistant coach who is very well connected to the Houston prep and AAU basketball scene.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:Regarding the success that Vitale had recruiting right away, I have heard him and others give a lot of that credit to Smokey Gaines, who knew the City and the high school coaches and players. Smart hire by Vitale. A recent similar example is the recruiting success that new coach Jamie Dixon is having at TCU, due in no small part to the hire of an assistant coach who is very well connected to the Houston prep and AAU basketball scene.

Thank God we got Canaan Chatman to lock down the west coast then. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 pm

1. Vitale hired good local high school coaches as assistants. Jim Boyce was Terry Tyler's HS coach. Turono Anderson's HS coach was Charlie Nichols (?) from Kettering. Vitale hired him as an asst too. Like Sam said Vitale gave Smokey Gaines lots of credit. I believe Gaines was the reason Moses Malone almost signed with us. I forget what other players he was in on.

2. Vitale was as good a salesman/coach one could expect. He could close the deal. I heard when Terrry Duerod signed his LOI Duerod told Vitale another coach was coming to his house later that night and he wanted to hear what that coach had to say. So Vitale told him sign now or he would sign another player later that night, so Duerod signed.

3. There were no early signing periods in Vitale's days so his second class of Tyler, Long, etc didn't happen until spring of 1974. I think the first early signing period was in the fall of 1982 or 1983 while Sicko was here. I believe it was when we signed Brian Humes, Bryan Doss, Eric Jackson, etc in the fall of 1982 or 1983.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 pm

udballer wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:Regarding the success that Vitale had recruiting right away, I have heard him and others give a lot of that credit to Smokey Gaines, who knew the City and the high school coaches and players. Smart hire by Vitale. A recent similar example is the recruiting success that new coach Jamie Dixon is having at TCU, due in no small part to the hire of an assistant coach who is very well connected to the Houston prep and AAU basketball scene.

Thank God we got Canaan Chatman to lock down the west coast then. :)

:D
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 am

Belleville's Gabe Brown will be in attendance for Monday's game with Youngstown State. Has offers from Oakland, Toledo, DePaul, Loyola Marymount; lots of high majors (e.g. MSU, UM, Kentucky, Arkansas, Butler, Cincinnati) are looking but not yet offered.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Duane Washington Jr., a 6-2 guard from Grand Rapids Christian, has Tweeted that he is blessed to have received an offer from the Titans. Rated a two-star recruit by Verbal Commits, other offers include St. Joseph's, Loyola, Oakland, Western Michigan, Toledo and Youngstown State.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am

Regards Bob Lanier, NCT, it was said at the time that he grew up wanting to play at Canisius in Buffalo, where he lived. Canisius, as you know, is Jesuit and his grades were not good enough to get in. St. Bonaventure found a way and the rest, as they say, is history. I don't recall that any large school recruited him unless perhaps it was Syracuse, where he might not have qualified either. Nor was there as large a disparity at that time between large and small schools. They scheduled each other quite commonly, it seemed.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Duane Washington Jr., a 6-2 guard from Grand Rapids Christian, has Tweeted that he is blessed to have received an offer from the Titans. Rated a two-star recruit by Verbal Commits, other offers include St. Joseph's, Loyola, Oakland, Western Michigan, Toledo and Youngstown State.

Good offer, though I'm confident he'll be offered by much bigger schools next year... so I'd consider him a long shot.
udballer
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 pm

He's going too.. We want the kid from Wayne Memorial.. Williams he's the real deal.. could be RP3
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

Washington now has an offer from Duquesne too
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm

I get an odd feeling Duquesne and us might be starting a little recruiting war.. I would not be surprised to see a current Duquesne player on our roster next year.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm

you consider everything a long shot baller.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:18 pm

hah! fun if its so kirky! :)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

kirky313 wrote:I get an odd feeling Duquesne and us might be starting a little recruiting war.. I would not be surprised to see a current Duquesne player on our roster next year.

Although that could be anybody, the only Michigan guy on the team is Spencer Littleson. I really like Isiaha Mike though and he is from Canada, and I just read this on twitter:

Elias Sbiet‏ @Elias_NPH 2m2 minutes ago
Few other NCAA Canadians contemplating transferring after coaching changes, stay tuned.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/spencer_littleson_1016723.html

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/duqu-m-baskbl-mtt.html

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/isiaha_mike_1016724.html
Last edited by HSScout1 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

2018 Ann Arbor Skyline guard Brandon Buckets Wade has received a offer from Duquesne!
titanmike
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball