2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:16 pm

How do we not get a guy we targeted (Phillips) over Cleveland State?

Three Titan openings next year for sure (Black, Hogan, Prince), one more likely (Isaiah Jones, and/or someone transfers out), possibly more if transfers. We got a verbal commit from Adrian Nelson and maybe sorta kinda a verbal commit from Kahlil Chatman. It would be nice to confirm Chatman--he and Nelson are a good start. I'd like to get at least one more commit in the early signing period, though, and if we don't pin down Chatman it will be disappointing.

Already disappointed that all the Michigan kids are turning us down:

High Major (easy to understand):
Tom Kithier - MSU
Gabe Brown - MSU
Foster Loyer- MSU ( not sure we offered Loyer, though I'm sure we would gladly take him)
David DeJulius - UM
Brandon Johns - UM
Duane Washington - Ohio State
Trevion Williams - Purdue

Mid-Major (harder to understand-Cleveland State?):
Rashad Williams - Cleveland State
Brandon Wade - Duquesne
Quinn Blair - Wm & Mary
Gary Solomon - Long Island (not sure we ever offered Solomon)

I think Lamar Norman, a guard from Belleville, is the last member of the state's top 10 not committed.

It's a deep class in Michigan this year and we need some love!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Likely, Commissioner, you meant to say how do we not get Rashad Williams, rather than Phillips? I suppose there could be any number of reasons and it's hard to know what was important to him. Maybe he wants a change of scenery? Maybe he's a baseball fan and figures the Indians will out do the Tigers in the coming years? Maybe his family attending his games isn't an issue for him? Maybe immediate playing time is available in Cleveland? I guess BA and Co. just move on to the next option and maybe it'll all work out in the end.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 am

Look, I am the absolute non-realist believing that EVERYONE who grows up in Metro Detroit should dream of one day being a Titan...that they should be lining up at the doors of Calihan, dying to get in and play for our team.

It doesn't make sense on certain levels to pick Cleveland State BUT we are lucky to say that for the next 3-4 years it will be difficult to break in and get PT at the guard position here at U-D. It's a good problem. I always get annoyed when a kid dreams that he's just going to move up the pecking order no matter who is already at a given school he's considering, just because he's the GOD GIVEN talent, the best there ever was, and it will simply happen that he is going to leap over all the incumbents and start as a frosh. Case in Point: Kenny Goins. Goins took Preferred Walkon at MSU over a scholarship at U-D. He played a bit last year when MSU was devastated at the center/forward positions by injuries. But this year, they are stacked up front and he'll be lucky to get into games, as a junior. If he were at U-D he'd probably be a starter. I don't feel sorry for Goins -- I believe he made a mistake.

It annoys me that the locals are still looking elsewhere first...that we are a backup option way too often, and that's gotta change.

I do believe we are going to start turning the corner this year and that we will become a HOT destination for recruits in a hurry. I wish we got every player we wanted but that's not realistic. What I want is a 6-9 or taller player of out of High School who can walk and chew gum at the same time. That player has a chance to be a building block ala Corey Allen/JJ JR.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am

Cleveland State is WIDE open when it comes to guards when he steps on campus next year. That's not the case at UDM. That may or may not be why he picked CSU over us and others. Maybe he just wanted a change of scenery. Maybe he just really bonded with staff / school.

I'm not too down on it though since we do have needs in the front court in future years. Let's stock up there.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am

our forwards may not be glittery but we sure have a lot of big talent. competition at every position. been awhile since weve had that.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Case in Point: Kenny Goins. Goins took Preferred Walkon at MSU over a scholarship at U-D. He played a bit last year when MSU was devastated at the center/forward positions by injuries. But this year, they are stacked up front and he'll be lucky to get into games, as a junior. If he were at U-D he'd probably be a starter. I don't feel sorry for Goins -- I believe he made a mistake.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I don't think that anyone feels sorry for Kenny Goins; rather, his story is a great feel-good story. He grew up his whole life a big MSU fan; gambled on himself by turning down scholarship offers to walk-on at his dream school; worked super hard and earned essentially a 4 year athletic scholarship (got put on scholarship after his true freshman year); averaged almost 20 minutes a game as a sophomore; and will likely be a key role player on a national title contender (no matter how much freshmen talent comes in, there is always minutes for a guy like this under Izzo who plays great defense and can guard multiple positions).

True, he might have been a star at a smaller school but that is not guaranteed. At a different level, it would be similar to arguing that someone like Bruinsma made a bad decision to go to Detroit when he could have been a star at Ferris State. In the end, I would say that good things happened to both guys.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Mac, you're right about having a lot of talent and a lot of competition. But the forecourt roster is definitely weighted to the juniors and seniors, so BA needs to be looking for some replacement stock.

Hogan, senior
Prince, senior
I Jones, senior
T Jones, junior
Blackshear, junior
Chatman, junior
Long, sophomore
Ballantyne, freshman

The new commit, Adrian Nelson, is a small forward.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

you forgot our 7 footer - eichler. i agree coach needs to keep pushing it. but i am not depressed by what we've got. coach says he's seeking balance by class. seems like he's off to a good start? doesn't i jones get a medical redshirt for last season?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Flint native and current Meadowcreek (Georgia) 6'6" F Cory Hightower will be visiting this weekend. Hightower is the son of the former NBA player of the same name.
And yes, RBJ1, it is an OFFICIAL visit
HSScout1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Flint native and current Meadowcreek (Georgia) 6'6" F Cory Hightower will be visiting this weekend. Hightower is the son of the former NBA player of the same name.
And yes, RBJ1, it is an OFFICIAL visit

Thanks, Hsscout :lol: I saw Hightower at the Hoops Night In The D event, he was shooting three pointers at the conclusion of the scrimmage.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 pm

So, I assume we are going to offer the elder Hightower a spot on the coaching staff?
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:33 pm

so thats three. are we done for the fall?
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 pm

I had an opportunity to chat with BA after the radio show last Monday. I asked coach about recruiting, specifically did he anticipate signing a guard in November. He said the Titans would likely be getting a couple commitments in the Fall, but they would be from bigger guys. He implied recruits would have forward size but guard skills and thought we were in good shape at that position. Looks like Nelson and Hightower are two of the guys he was talking about. Not sure about Chatman’s status, i.e., will he sign with the Titans early, late or maybe elsewhere.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:23 pm

i think chatman's in.
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:03 pm

NC Titan wrote:Mac, you're right about having a lot of talent and a lot of competition. But the forecourt roster is definitely weighted to the juniors and seniors, so BA needs to be looking for some replacement stock.

Hogan, senior
Prince, senior
I Jones, senior
T Jones, junior
Blackshear, junior
Chatman, junior
Long, sophomore
Ballantyne, freshman

The new commit, Adrian Nelson, is a small forward.

The 4th and final scholarship should definitely go to someone with some size and bulk, all three of our new players are on the thin side and it seems like they play the same position. I am assuming that Hightower us the guy they think can eventually morph into a power forward.

K.Chatman. 6'7 190lbs
C.Hightower. 6'7 215 lbs.
A.Nelson. 6'6. 180 lbs
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 pm

think your right RBJ, 6'7" 215 is good size for an entering high school senior. liklihood is he will fill out,,,maybe grow an inch or two? having trouble identifying where the fourth schollie will come from? we lose three in , hogan, prince, and black: unless for some reason were going to give up a fifth year of eligibility for jones?
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 pm

titanmac wrote:think your right RBJ, 6'7" 215 is good size for an entering high school senior. liklihood is he will fill out,,,maybe grow an inch or two? having trouble identifying where the fourth schollie will come from? we lose three in , hogan, prince, and black: unless for some reason were going to give up a fifth year of eligibility for jones?

This will be I.Jones 5th year of eligibility, he played two and sat out one on the juco level. Judging by the way he looked at the hoop nights in the d, it doesnt look like he has recovered from his knee injury. Very thoughtful of the coaches to renew his scholarship for this season. Many,many, D1 coaches would have told Jones to kick rocks.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:This will be I.Jones 5th year of eligibility, he played two and sat out one on the juco level. Judging by the way he looked at the hoop nights in the d, it doesnt look like he has recovered from his knee injury. Very thoughtful of the coaches to renew his scholarship for this season. Many,many, D1 coaches would have told Jones to kick rocks.

In the event Isaiah's knee injury limits his contribution this season, of course it's disappointing for him and unfortunate for the squad. That being said; I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity to complete his degree at UDM.
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Early signing begins Wednesday.

It will be worrisome if we don't sign Adrian Nelson and Cory Hightower, who have given us very public verbal commitments. Can we ink Kahlil Chatman, too? That would be nice. BTW, Chatman's Jefferson High School team is appearing in the top 25 in the nation in at least some pre-season rankings, with Chatman a big part of that, so that's a good sign--if we land him. They've also got a great nickname--the "Democrats."

Moose is hoping Wayne State will dump the "Warriors" and go with "Libertarians."
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Adrian Nelson will sign his LOI at 3:15 tomorrow. As is the thing these days, they're having a little ceremony in the Pickerington Central HS gym. Per a tweet from the school.
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball