2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

ptctitan wrote:Corey Hightower had 18 points and 10 rebounds to help his Meadowcreek HS team advance to the Final Four in Georgia's Class AAAAAAA H.S. tournament. This is the highest class consisting of the 48 largest schools in the State.

That’s a lot of AAAAAAAAAAA’s! And good numbers in a big game! Maybe Detroit’s new-found reputation helps.
Do we have any more insight on the other 2 recruits. We were getting some good news on the player from Ohio.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:47 am

I think losing Icelandic recruit Thorir Thorbjarnarson to Nebraska recently was a big blow to this coaching staff. You can’t just drop into the town of Akureyri and expect these hotshot recruits to follow. You have to put in an honest effort of getting know the kids and their families. For example, sheep milk and sheep milk yogurt is very popular there. I doubt that BA or JJ have ever tried sheep milk yogurt.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:13 am

Resurget Cineribus wrote:Do we have any more insight on the other 2 recruits. We were getting some good news on the player from Ohio.

Two other recruits? That makes three? I recall Hightower and Adrian Nelson. Who's number three?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

He's probably assuming Kam's brother is a Titan.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:He's probably assuming Kam's brother is a Titan.

Anybody know if the brother is any more athletic than Kam? To be honest, I'm not sure if I've seen Kam jump any higher than I've seen Canaan jump at this point.

The reason I ask is because Kam was a borderline 5-star recruit coming out of high school. Is Khalil a 3-star version of him? Either way, it would provide us more size... which is a good thing.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

A quick re-fresh of rabbit hole internet sleuthing to find info on Khalil Chapman and his recruiting. Basically, there's no real info to go off of as you'll see each 'source' out there seems to contradict the next one.

Verbal Commits - lists only an offer Montana State, and that he's a 3* player

Rivals - lists 3 schools as having made offers (Montana, Portland and Portland State), and also adds Oregon, Oregon State and Washington as schools he's interested in

Prephoops.com -- in a July 2017 article, they previewed some of the state's best teams and said: "2018 post Khalil Chatman who has verbally committed to play for The University of Detroit and transferred from league rival Franklin."

Buildingthedam.com (Oregon State fan page) -- last April had a look at rising Seniors and potential fits with the Beavers. Chatman came in at #5 on their list with the following write up:
"Arguably my personal favorite player on this list, there’s something about Khalil Chatman that just screams potential superstar every time you watch him step on the court and with an athletic and versatile skill-set, he has all the natural tools to take his game to the top. It’s just simply putting the pieces together now for the 6’ 7”, 190 pound swing-man. Currently ranked as just a three-star forward, with offers from Detroit-Mercy and Montana State, Chatman will get his fair share of exposure this season as a critical piece to the Seattle Rotary team on the Nike EYBL circuit, where he’s expected to scoop up a few more looks. Wayne Tinkle has found some surprise gems during his short stay in Corvallis and being the program to lock up a rising star like Chatman, could add to his long list of recruiting achievements."

Prephoops - December 2017 article Finally, and perhaps my favorite is another post from prephoops, I'll stand by for expected commentary from Brander-in-Chief Tacitus. I don't think the memo about our re-brand has hit the Pacific Northwest just yet, the Oregon Trail is a long and arduous trek after all :lol:
"Jefferson’s new addition a ESPN 3 star will be a big big factor to the Demo’s success this year. Chatman stands at 6’8 – 200 and plays the wing making him a mismatch nightmare for a lot of teams. Khalil uses his size to his advantage and plays with physicality and edge. “My goal this season is simple, gain college offers and win a state championship.” The offseason consisted of football, lifting weights, and getting shots up. “What separates me from others is my mental and physical toughness. I’m going to try to pick on/bully my matchup and the other team.” Khalil played for Seattle Rotary this past AAU season. As a junior he was awarded first team all league and averaged 23 and 10 junior year for Franklin. Chatman currently holds offers from Montana state and Detroit while holding interests from mercy, PSU, Montana, OSU and Michigan."
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:29 pm

That right there is rock bottom on the rebrand.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:That right there is rock bottom on the rebrand.

And changing the brand again is just the thing that will clear it all up. Right?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:That right there is rock bottom on the rebrand.

And changing the brand again is just the thing that will clear it all up. Right?

I definitely don't think it would hurt. I've never heard a signee state that he'd committed because he thought it was cool that nobody knew the name of our university.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I think we should rebrand to South Harmon Institute of Technology
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:03 pm

It's not so much about "changing the brand again" because I'd argue most still don't know the new brand. We can go over this more when the season ends in 4 hours, but I'll just give you a few examples of sources that refer to us as the Detroit Titans: CBS sports, Wikipedia, Fox sports, vivid seats, Facebook (not our own official FB page, but if you look up a current game on FB activity status). We are Detroit Mercy when it comes to: ESPN, stubhub, bleacher report, sagarin.

It's still a mixed bag. Most disappointing, some recruits still call us Detroit, media, even some opposing teams list us as Detroit on their schedules.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:53 pm

In this morning’s Free Press article previewing the tournament, the headline by the local paper referred to us as “Detroit.” Sitting in the LCA right now, the cheerleaders are shouting “go Detroit!”

Hear’s a dedicated thread that documents the failed effort for the new brand to catch on:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3482&p=52465&hilit=Status#p52465

It’s hard for institutions to admit a mistake, but the “Detroit Mercy” 2016 branding rollout was doomed from the beginning. The University totally ignored 25 years of history showing the “University of Detroit Mercy” name wasn’t working. It would be a smart and bold move to admit a mistake, but chances of that happening are less than the odds of the Titans winning the league tournament this year.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm

And the announcer on ESPN3 just opened the broadcast calling us Detroit.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:07 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:A quick re-fresh of rabbit hole internet sleuthing to find info on Khalil Chapman and his recruiting. Basically, there's no real info to go off of as you'll see each 'source' out there seems to contradict the next one.

Verbal Commits - lists only an offer Montana State, and that he's a 3* player

Rivals - lists 3 schools as having made offers (Montana, Portland and Portland State), and also adds Oregon, Oregon State and Washington as schools he's interested in

Prephoops.com -- in a July 2017 article, they previewed some of the state's best teams and said: "2018 post Khalil Chatman who has verbally committed to play for The University of Detroit and transferred from league rival Franklin."

Buildingthedam.com (Oregon State fan page) -- last April had a look at rising Seniors and potential fits with the Beavers. Chatman came in at #5 on their list with the following write up:
"Arguably my personal favorite player on this list, there’s something about Khalil Chatman that just screams potential superstar every time you watch him step on the court and with an athletic and versatile skill-set, he has all the natural tools to take his game to the top. It’s just simply putting the pieces together now for the 6’ 7”, 190 pound swing-man. Currently ranked as just a three-star forward, with offers from Detroit-Mercy and Montana State, Chatman will get his fair share of exposure this season as a critical piece to the Seattle Rotary team on the Nike EYBL circuit, where he’s expected to scoop up a few more looks. Wayne Tinkle has found some surprise gems during his short stay in Corvallis and being the program to lock up a rising star like Chatman, could add to his long list of recruiting achievements."

Prephoops - December 2017 article Finally, and perhaps my favorite is another post from prephoops, I'll stand by for expected commentary from Brander-in-Chief Tacitus. I don't think the memo about our re-brand has hit the Pacific Northwest just yet, the Oregon Trail is a long and arduous trek after all :lol:
"Jefferson’s new addition a ESPN 3 star will be a big big factor to the Demo’s success this year. Chatman stands at 6’8 – 200 and plays the wing making him a mismatch nightmare for a lot of teams. Khalil uses his size to his advantage and plays with physicality and edge. “My goal this season is simple, gain college offers and win a state championship.” The offseason consisted of football, lifting weights, and getting shots up. “What separates me from others is my mental and physical toughness. I’m going to try to pick on/bully my matchup and the other team.” Khalil played for Seattle Rotary this past AAU season. As a junior he was awarded first team all league and averaged 23 and 10 junior year for Franklin. Chatman currently holds offers from Montana state and Detroit while holding interests from mercy, PSU, Montana, OSU and Michigan."

At this point I am ready to move on from the family and friends plan. I have not been impressed with Kam this season, and I am not sure what impact, if any that Canaan Chatman has on the program.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Some must see highlights from Titan signee Adrian Nelson (#4 in video) in this morning's game. Pickerington Central won its third district title in a row 59-57 over Westerville North.
Nelson's stats: 14pts, 8reb, 3ast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrt42uoGCU&feature=youtu.be
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, Scout.

I especially liked how after 3 of the dunks he put his head down and hustled back down court. I'm sure we will break him of that habit. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:33 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Some must see highlights from Titan signee Adrian Nelson (#4 in video) in this morning's game. Pickerington Central won its third district title in a row 59-57 over Westerville North.
Nelson's stats: 14pts, 8reb, 3ast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrt42uoGCU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Scout, I think Nelson could've played effectively for about 15 minutes a game for us...this season. I think he'll be a solid rotation player next season, then again one never knows, the coaching staff refused to play Prince any significant minutes, when it was clear he was the best athlete on the team, and the most effective player in the paint.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Maybe, just maybe, we can give the cynicism a rest for a minute and enjoy Nelson. Maybe, just maybe, BA is trying to bring in defense-first athletic wings like PW used to have, in an effort to change the culture and the defensive mindset (or lack thereof) by bringing in a different kind of student/athlete. Maybe, just maybe, we should wait and see if next year is different than this year was.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Actually, Prince is an OK athlete, but the best athletes on the team were McFolley (by a wide margin) followed by Blackshear (when healthy).
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Cory Hightower is playing tonight for a State Championship and BA is in Georgia for the game.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball