2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Cory Hightower is playing tonight for a State Championship and BA is in Georgia for the game.

We should have denied the travel request and started saving money for the buyout. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll save it for the grievances thread moving forward.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Real close to a citation there. I'll let you off with a warning.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Actually, Prince is an OK athlete, but the best athletes on the team were McFolley (by a wide margin) followed by Blackshear (when healthy).

The Three best athletes were McFolley, JJJ and Prince in that order. Not sure what you were looking at with Blacksheer. He has always looked awkward to me and really bad hands.That has always been his biggest problem with fouls.Hogan was athletic when he didn't get to far over weight.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Some must see highlights from Titan signee Adrian Nelson (#4 in video) in this morning's game. Pickerington Central won its third district title in a row 59-57 over Westerville North.
Nelson's stats: 14pts, 8reb, 3ast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrt42uoGCU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Scout. Nelson is really good. I may be wrong--it's not like I've seen him play a 20 games or something, but I ventured over to Pickerington one night. On a team with McFolley, Allen, Chatman and Jackson to score, Nelson is really what we need, which is a guy who plays D, sets screens, hustles, rebounds. He can score, but he doesn't have to be scoring to be valuable. We shouldn't expect too much of him as a freshman, but he'll contribute, and he's going to be a very good mid-major player.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:48 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:Actually, Prince is an OK athlete, but the best athletes on the team were McFolley (by a wide margin) followed by Blackshear (when healthy).

The Three best athletes were McFolley, JJJ and Prince in that order. Not sure what you were looking at with Blacksheer. He has always looked awkward to me and really bad hands.That has always been his biggest problem with fouls.Hogan was athletic when he didn't get to far over weight.

Why do so many members of this board forget about Corey Allen? He is by far one of the best players/athletes on this team. He was freshman of the year, he was one of the best players in Michigan during his high school years (much better than JJJr all day long), he is one of our best offensive threats, he is a very good defender (one of the few on this team), yet no one remembers him. Why is that?
Titans96
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Titans96 wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Why do so many members of this board forget about Corey Allen? He is by far one of the best players/athletes on this team. He was freshman of the year, he was one of the best players in Michigan during his high school years (much better than JJJr all day long), he is one of our best offensive threats, he is a very good defender (one of the few on this team), yet no one remembers him. Why is that?

I agree, and he’s a good defender. I’m not sure what happened to him this year though. He looked much better as a frosh.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:22 pm

It's just a shame that he was demoted and replaced by a freshman who isn't close to being as good as he is. Plus, last year he had Jenkins helping him out and McFolley was a willing "partner" in working to try and help the team out. This year we have two coaches sons who got all the minutes and are unwilling "partners". Corey got screwed by his coaches and his teammates this year. He did have a end of year injury, but that was not the reason for his decline from last year.

It is really amazing what poor decisions our coaching staff made this year regarding the players and their playing time.
Titans96
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Commissioner wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Some must see highlights from Titan signee Adrian Nelson (#4 in video) in this morning's game. Pickerington Central won its third district title in a row 59-57 over Westerville North.

Thanks Scout. Nelson is really good. I may be wrong--it's not like I've seen him play a 20 games or something, but I ventured over to Pickerington one night. On a team with McFolley, Allen, Chatman and Jackson to score, Nelson is really what we need, which is a guy who plays D, sets screens, hustles, rebounds. He can score, but he doesn't have to be scoring to be valuable. We shouldn't expect too much of him as a freshman, but he'll contribute, and he's going to be a very good mid-major player.

Nelson is gifted and has the athletic ability which we needed this year. We need a bunch of players with physical ability who can finish with commitment. We were really weak around the basket. I'm not sure how you make duck footed and cow hawked more athletic and BA seems to recruit these traits. Maybe he has finally figured out that he isn't as good a coach as he thought he was and has finally figured out that he needs better athletes.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

I have to agree with Tom on this one. Blackshear is very athletic. In fact, athleticism is what earned him a D1 scholarship to play basketball. It certainly wasn't his plethora of post moves or his sweet stroke from the outside. It was based on his ability to play solid defense and put-back dunk on offense. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks for posting, that was nice. Looking forward to seeing him contribute next year.
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:37 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Cory Hightower is playing tonight for a State Championship and BA is in Georgia for the game.

Hightower's Meadowcreek team wins 56-43. Hightower finishes with 13 pts and 11 rebounds
HSScout1
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am

Nelson and Hightower seem to be closing out their HS careers on high notes, it's always good to be bringing in winners.

At the moment we have 2 guys filling in 4 openings (graduating seniors, with no projection of other transfers at this time).

Someone who follows it closer may know when the Juco transfers start or heat up. Presumably we will be on that trail esp for a big body. On the non Juco transfer front, that seems to open up as the season ends for teams and guys are seeing writing on the wall in terms of their future role at a program.

Despite their flaws and incomplete info from time to time, the main list I've found thus far is over at VerbalCommits https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/Melvin%20Morgan

We have minutes to give to big bodies, and hopefully that can lure someone (or two) that can contribute in 2018-19.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Commissioner wrote:Thanks Scout. Nelson is really good. I may be wrong--it's not like I've seen him play a 20 games or something, but I ventured over to Pickerington one night. On a team with McFolley, Allen, Chatman and Jackson to score, Nelson is really what we need, which is a guy who plays D, sets screens, hustles, rebounds. He can score, but he doesn't have to be scoring to be valuable. We shouldn't expect too much of him as a freshman, but he'll contribute, and he's going to be a very good mid-major player.

Commish, sounds like the player Reggie (and others) called "glue guys." We need one of those.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 pm

BA tweets tonight: “Looking to solidify our roster in the front court for next year as we always look for ‘impact’ guys regardless of position. Need to grow out grit so we can be better defensively. #Growthmindset“
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 am

Titans96 wrote:It's just a shame that he was demoted and replaced by a freshman who isn't close to being as good as he is. Plus, last year he had Jenkins helping him out and McFolley was a willing "partner" in working to try and help the team out. This year we have two coaches sons who got all the minutes and are unwilling "partners". Corey got screwed by his coaches and his teammates this year. He did have a end of year injury, but that was not the reason for his decline from last year.

It is really amazing what poor decisions our coaching staff made this year regarding the players and their playing time.

This wasn't a year end injury as far as I heard.
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 am

Any names being thrown out as potential Titans to fill the open roster sports? Four are leaving, two are coming ... How about the other two?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am

titanmike wrote:
Titans96 wrote:It's just a shame that he was demoted and replaced by a freshman who isn't close to being as good as he is. Plus, last year he had Jenkins helping him out and McFolley was a willing "partner" in working to try and help the team out. This year we have two coaches sons who got all the minutes and are unwilling "partners". Corey got screwed by his coaches and his teammates this year. He did have a end of year injury, but that was not the reason for his decline from last year.

TM: what do you mean by this? That it wasn’t an injury at all that sidelined him? Or that he was injured all year and not at the end of the year?
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am

Resurget Cineribus wrote:
titanmike wrote:

TM: what do you mean by this? That it wasn’t an injury at all that sidelined him? Or that he was injured all year and not at the end of the year?

No he certainly was injured, I don't know that it was all year, but he was hampered by it for a good deal of the season.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 pm

I hope the Titans are searching for some bigs who can play defense and rebound. Also, we truly need a point guard. We need a point guard who is more focused on ball handling, assists and playing lock down defense. I get worried when I see BA posting that he is just looking for bigs. Doesn’t he realize the entire team is a weakness, so a point guard is crucial.

I think we should figure out that our offense needs to come after a strong defense. Strong defense wins games, we proved last year that a high scoring offense does little without a strong defense.
Titans96
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 am

What is really amazing is your lack of knowledge of the situation, or at the very least 50% of what you say has some merit and 50% is simply not true.
titanmike
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball