2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 am

Titans96 wrote:I hope the Titans are searching for some bigs who can play defense and rebound. Also, we truly need a point guard. We need a point guard who is more focused on ball handling, assists and playing lock down defense. I get worried when I see BA posting that he is just looking for bigs. Doesn’t he realize the entire team is a weakness, so a point guard is crucial.

I think we should figure out that our offense needs to come after a strong defense. Strong defense wins games, we proved last year that a high scoring offense does little without a strong defense.


You seem to forget this part of his tweet, "we always look for impact guys regardless of position". This doesn't mean he isn't looking for a PG.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby ptctitan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

I presume that we will recruit a scholarship PG to replace Black and a scholarship bigger player to replace I. Jones. We appear to have recruited Nelson and Hightower to fill the roster spots of Prince and Hogan.

When we played the small 3-guard set, Corey played with Josh and Jackson. Corey played the 3 slot. When we played the two guard set with 3 bigger guys, Corey played 2-guard paired with Jackson as PG and Josh played 2-guard paired with Black as PG. Subject of course to injuries/illness, foul issues, and other game events that would cause these pairings to change during a game. I realize that I never saw a game in person this year due to where I live, but it seemed that Corey was playing injured in December and I asked that question several times on this board back in December and January. We certainly need another PG who would do two things: 1) give us quality minutes; and, 2) push Jackson to improve his game. Hopefully, young Jermaine learned that he cannot win on talent alone in D-1 ball because he does not have enough of it. And hopefully, he learned from Dre Black that a slower PG who plays within himself is just as good as a younger, faster, more talented kid who plays without discipline and purpose. If he learns that lesson and fully recovers from his ankle injury sustained at NKU, things could improve here significantly next season. On this one, I remain from Missouri, "Show me, Jermaine Jr. "

I also hope that we recruit a healthy big who can give us 20 or more quality minutes per game immediately. Given Blackshear's injury-prone legs, we need a solid contributor who also is 6'9" or taller. We also need either Eichler or Ballantyne to step up big time next season even if we land a competent big.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Titans96 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I hope BA is looking for a PG like you mentioned, I just have not seen him identify that as a need for his team yet. If we do not get a point guard to provide assists and play defense, we will be terrible again.

I do however have very little hope that BA has any plans on getting his team to have any defensive skills at all. Clearly he blew a bunch of BS everywhere with his original comments of having a team that was going to be amazing in defensive (remember the floor burn comments). The current team has very few who show any defensive ability at all, and I can't see any chance of BA coaching these kids into exhibiting any defense efforts. Maybe our two new freshmen are defensive studs (we can only hope), but our PG may be the worst defender on the team and he has never shown defensive skill anytime in his high school or college career.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titandave » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

ptctitan wrote:I also hope that we recruit a healthy big who can give us 20 or more quality minutes per game immediately. Given Blackshear's injury-prone legs, we need a solid contributor who also is 6'9" or taller. We also need either Eichler or Ballantyne to step up big time next season even if we land a competent big.

Totally agree; we need to add a quality front court player (e.g. 6'9" & 225 lbs.). In the event that doesn't happen; I'm guessing we'll see Cole Long and Tariq Jones (assuming he's on the roster) getting lots of playing time.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Titans96 wrote:I hope BA is looking for a PG like you mentioned, I just have not seen him identify that as a need for his team yet. If we do not get a point guard to provide assists and play defense, we will be terrible again.

I do however have very little hope that BA has any plans on getting his team to have any defensive skills at all. Clearly he blew a bunch of BS everywhere with his original comments of having a team that was going to be amazing in defensive (remember the floor burn comments). The current team has very few who show any defensive ability at all, and I can't see any chance of BA coaching these kids into exhibiting any defense efforts. Maybe our two new freshmen are defensive studs (we can only hope), but our PG may be the worst defender on the team and he has never shown defensive skill anytime in his high school or college career.


I'm going to have to issue a citation for this. The bulk of this comment is pure criticism of the coaching staff and not related to 2018 recruiting. Please make comments like this on the official Airing of Grievances thread.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

titandave wrote:
ptctitan wrote:I also hope that we recruit a healthy big who can give us 20 or more quality minutes per game immediately. Given Blackshear's injury-prone legs, we need a solid contributor who also is 6'9" or taller. We also need either Eichler or Ballantyne to step up big time next season even if we land a competent big.

Totally agree; we need to add a quality front court player (e.g. 6'9" & 225 lbs.). In the event that doesn't happen; I'm guessing we'll see Cole Long and Tariq Jones (assuming he's on the roster) getting lots of playing time.


Dave you seem to always keep coming up with T. Jones. He is part of a problem that needs to go away. There is no way that he gets 2 yrs. of scholarship for one year of play. He is an average 6'6" guy who is soft and a problem and contributed more than his share to a bad year. We can find 50 guys that will help us more than him. I watched a class D player the other night that is 6'7" to 6"8" with the body of a 230 lb. TE that could come in right now and contribute. He can shoot free throws,rebound and occasionally shoot the the 3. I realize we do not like class D players regardless of their ability. BA proved he didn't know what he was looking at when he compared Long to Whitens. The only thing similar in these two players is that they both are White. One is a guard the other an awkward forward.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:BA proved he didn't know what he was looking at when he compared Long to Whitens. The only thing similar in these two players is that they both are White. One is a guard the other an awkward forward.


I once heard BA compare Jason "White Chocolate" Williams to Mark Mazur. I think you might be on to something here. ;)

P.S. That was a joke.

P.P.S. This post is not related to 2018 recruiting. I apologize for that, so in order to get back on topic I'll just note that we should bring in Lamar Norman to the 2018 class. If nothing else, we can say that we landed another top 10 recruit in the state. He won't solve our PG or big man issues... but he'll follow well in McFolley's footsteps as a pure scorer. It'll be like having 6 years of Josh and 1 year of two-Joshes. I'm in.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titandave » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
titandave wrote:
ptctitan wrote:I also hope that we recruit a healthy big who can give us 20 or more quality minutes per game immediately. Given Blackshear's injury-prone legs, we need a solid contributor who also is 6'9" or taller. We also need either Eichler or Ballantyne to step up big time next season even if we land a competent big.

Totally agree; we need to add a quality front court player (e.g. 6'9" & 225 lbs.). In the event that doesn't happen; I'm guessing we'll see Cole Long and Tariq Jones (assuming he's on the roster) getting lots of playing time.


Dave you seem to always keep coming up with T. Jones. He is part of a problem that needs to go away. There is no way that he gets 2 yrs. of scholarship for one year of play. He is an average 6'6" guy who is soft and a problem and contributed more than his share to a bad year. We can find 50 guys that will help us more than him. I watched a class D player the other night that is 6'7" to 6"8" with the body of a 230 lb. TE that could come in right now and contribute. He can shoot free throws,rebound and occasionally shoot the the 3. I realize we do not like class D players regardless of their ability. BA proved he didn't know what he was looking at when he compared Long to Whitens. The only thing similar in these two players is that they both are White. One is a guard the other an awkward forward.

Tariq may be forced to forgo his Senior season at UDM due to academic issues or he may elect to simply leave the university. However, I don't see UDM taking away his athletic scholarship .... too much liability and bad publicity for the university / athletic department.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm

quote="upbasketballfan"]
titandave wrote:Totally agree; we need to add a quality front court player (e.g. 6'9" & 225 lbs.). In the event that doesn't happen; I'm guessing we'll see Cole Long and Tariq Jones (assuming he's on the roster) getting lots of playing time.


Dave you seem to always keep coming up with T. Jones. He is part of a problem that needs to go away. There is no way that he gets 2 yrs. of scholarship for one year of play. He is an average 6'6" guy who is soft and a problem and contributed more than his share to a bad year. We can find 50 guys that will help us more than him. I watched a class D player the other night that is 6'7" to 6"8" with the body of a 230 lb. TE that could come in right now and contribute. He can shoot free throws,rebound and occasionally shoot the the 3. I realize we do not like class D players regardless of their ability. BA proved he didn't know what he was looking at when he compared Long to Whitens. The only thing similar in these two players is that they both are White. One is a guard the other an awkward forward.[/quote]
Tariq may be forced to forgo his Senior season at UDM due to academic issues or he may elect to simply leave the university. However, I don't see UDM taking away his athletic scholarship .... too much liability and bad publicity for the university / athletic department.[/quote][/quote]

I would like to think that if he is academically ineligible he no longer has a scholarship. Maybe BA should pay for his education out of his own pocket or better yet JJ as he knew Tariq was not a student athlete and probably couldn't stay eligible.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titandave » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I would like to think that if he is academically ineligible he no longer has a scholarship. Maybe BA should pay for his education out of his own pocket or better yet JJ as he knew Tariq was not a student athlete and probably couldn't stay eligible.

Likewise, I would like to think when a student athlete can't meet the required academic standards, they lose their scholarship. I'm guessing there's an established time frame whereby the athlete has an opportunity to meet the standards or face the consequences.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby ptctitan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:33 am

Titans96 wrote:I hope BA is looking for a PG like you mentioned, I just have not seen him identify that as a need for his team yet. If we do not get a point guard to provide assists and play defense, we will be terrible again.


BA has been pretty clear all along that we needed to improve at PG. Recruiting Black was a stopgap measure designed to plug that hole as best as possible given that he was not hired until late April 2016. Jermaine Jr. was an attempt to recruit a PG who could become much better than we have seen in the past. So, I think that BA has shown by his actions that we needed PG improvement. The younger Jermaine must now improve his game. He has the talent to be a good D-1 PG, but he needs to improve his overall game. In many public statements like the Coaches radio show, BA criticized JJJ for poor shot selection saying that he should avoid taking step-back 3's and select step-in 3's. So, he has to show more maturity at the position. He is not the main guy on this team like he was at Dakota. He could grow into being the main guy here, but that will take time and proof of improvement.

Titans96 wrote:I do however have very little hope that BA has any plans on getting his team to have any defensive skills at all. Clearly he blew a bunch of BS everywhere with his original comments of having a team that was going to be amazing in defensive (remember the floor burn comments). The current team has very few who show any defensive ability at all, and I can't see any chance of BA coaching these kids into exhibiting any defense efforts. Maybe our two new freshmen are defensive studs (we can only hope), but our PG may be the worst defender on the team and he has never shown defensive skill anytime in his high school or college career.


I agree that BA has failed to produce a strong defense. I happen to believe that the main reason is the personnel on the roster - not the coaches. The young men must want to play defense and buy into the need to play it as a team. They must also have the physical attributes meaning height, weight, reach, etc. They must also have the physical skills; e.g. quickness, jumping ability, etc.

I think the signings of Nelson and Hightower are efforts to add players who possess the proper attitude for playing defense and rebounding, improve physical attributes, and improve physical skills across the roster. And I think that BA will look to sign similar players this Spring, one at PG and one at the post. I hope he lands them.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titandave » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

ptctitan wrote:I think the signings of Nelson and Hightower are efforts to add players who possess the proper attitude for playing defense and rebounding, improve physical attributes, and improve physical skills across the roster.

From what I've read about Nelson and Hightower .... I believe your assessment is correct. If in fact, they demonstrate an ability to defend and rebound at the D1 level; hopefully they'll get playing time which should be an incentive for other members of our squad to do the same. :)
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby uofdfan1983 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Adrian Nelson's PInkerington Central plays in trhe semi-finals of the Ohio State Tournament this Friday 8:30 against the top-rated team at Oh How I hate Ohio State. Our very own BA will be in attendance. Commish, you should go as well and try to sit next to BA and share some of your insight.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm

This player from Alabama receiving offers already from 3 Horizon Schools.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/ar-mond-davis
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Shot 26.7% from three, under 40% overall in one year at 'Bama (played 2 yrs. juco). Coming off a knee injury that kept him out all season. Good luck to the team that lands him.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Commissioner wrote:Shot 26.7% from three, under 40% overall in one year at 'Bama (played 2 yrs. juco). Coming off a knee injury that kept him out all season. Good luck to the team that lands him.


Lets hope its Oakland
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Any chance Demetrius Lake is able to qualify. That would be a JUCO pickup that I would support. We need as many pure scorers as possible... especially now that Allen is leaving.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm

What's the deal with the younger Chatman again? Do we even want him?

The more you think about Allen's departure the more you realize how utterly screwed we are.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:What's the deal with the younger Chatman again? Do we even want him?

The more you think about Allen's departure the more you realize how utterly screwed we are.


The younger Chatman is the best kept secret in college basketball recruiting. Well, he's a secret anyway.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Cool, BA likes Secrets. In fact, I noticed a few weeks ago that Kam Chatman was also retweeting things from The Secret. Maybe he thinks if he just hopes hard enough an NBA team will draft him.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests