2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:54 pm

in corporate life mergers happen all the time for a variety of reasons. they are almost always called mergers of equals. there is nothing in the demographics to suggest that either institution would have been long for the current world in the absence of the merger. but the mergers are almost never mergers of equals and its very rare instances the the stronger "equal" doesn't win out over time. There are thirty members of the board of trustees of the university. Four are identifiable as associated with the good sisters. i would suggest that anytime a majority of the current board of trustees decided to change the name, or adjust the name or whatever you want to call it, it would be done. so to speak.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:00 pm

ps. who spilt the milk? i think he/she should apologize....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:20 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:
titanmike wrote:Last night at midnight was the 1st day college coaches can contact recruits for 2018 Class. Here is who I have been able to come up with that we contacted , more as I hear or you hear.

Thomas Kithier-Macomb Dakota

Kithier offered by MSU this afternoon at the MSU team camp

Not that we shouldn't try, but I think Kithier might be beyond our reach at this point. We should focus on guys we have a legitimate shot at signing.

Always fun when topics veer wildly off course - esp on overly retread topics like the name change, sigh. Next up is why we should be in the Big East tomorrow. I'm standing by at the university mail box waiting for the postman to drop off the invite!

TK's offer from MSU perhaps means he'll collect quite a few more Power 5 conf school offers before its said and done. It could be that we have zero shot as a result. It could also be that JJ has a relationship, or we have first mover advantage, or perhaps TK would fear going to a Power 5 school and getting recruited over (at least at a place like MSU that could be possible with what Izzo has been doing on the recruiting trail lately). I'd trust the coaches to know when to pull the plug on trying to land him once they get the appropriate feedback from TK and his family.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27 pm

I have always wondered if its better to cast a wide net when recruiting like for example University of Toledo does and offer a larger group of students or target only a handful like other schools. Is there a limit on how many offers you can give out?
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:09 pm

For the record, I'm a 2008 grad. But enough about the UD vs UDM debate, when the hell are we going to join the Big East?!
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I have always wondered if its better to cast a wide net when recruiting like for example University of Toledo does and offer a larger group of students or target only a handful like other schools. Is there a limit on how many offers you can give out?

Good question. I don't think there is a limit, but someone else probably knows for sure.

It seems like there is an even split on the best way to make offers, either casting a wide net or keeping it selective. There are benefits and pitfalls to both approaches, I imagine. Two other teams I closely follow, DePaul and Memphis, are on opposite sides of the argument. DePaul has a ton of offers out now, to players in 2017 and 2018 classes, and a couple for 2019. At Memphis, Coach Smith is being more selective in his offers, with a focus on 2017, a few out for 2018, and none for 2019, I believe. I think part of it depends on the effectiveness of your brand and your potential pool of recruits. DePaul doesn't have the name recognition to be that selective. Memphis has a pretty fertile home recruiting ground and a good enough brand that they get attention just by being Memphis. At Texas Tech, which has very little basketball cachet and almost no local recruits, Smith seemed to make a lot more offers than he has so far at Memphis.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:13 pm

let's go!
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:I have always wondered if its better to cast a wide net when recruiting like for example University of Toledo does and offer a larger group of students or target only a handful like other schools. Is there a limit on how many offers you can give out?

Good question. I don't think there is a limit, but someone else probably knows for sure.

It seems like there is an even split on the best way to make offers, either casting a wide net or keeping it selective. There are benefits and pitfalls to both approaches, I imagine. Two other teams I closely follow, DePaul and Memphis, are on opposite sides of the argument. DePaul has a ton of offers out now, to players in 2017 and 2018 classes, and a couple for 2019. At Memphis, Coach Smith is being more selective in his offers, with a focus on 2017, a few out for 2018, and none for 2019, I believe. I think part of it depends on the effectiveness of your brand and your potential pool of recruits. DePaul doesn't have the name recognition to be that selective. Memphis has a pretty fertile home recruiting ground and a good enough brand that they get attention just by being Memphis. At Texas Tech, which has very little basketball cachet and almost no local recruits, Smith seemed to make a lot more offers than he has so far at Memphis.

That makes sense. It would seem that the basketball cachet of a university would be in nearly direct inverse proportion to the size of the net. (Granted, measuring notions like exclusivity and metaphors like nets does not lend itself to mathematics.) The greater the bball cachet, the more exclusive the net. The exclusivity of a small number of offers serves to solidify the cachet of the university. Naturally, maintaining the status quo requires extended periods of success, something we've not had in eons. So, for us at this time, a Toledo or Texas Tech approach would appear best. Teams like ours need to be volume shooters (or net casters, as may be the case) and hope to catch some overlooked gems.

By the way, I' still going with University of Detroit-Moosey. Don't even have to change the monograms.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks Sam and Moose, I was actually looking at the offers that Toledo had out there and I think for 5 scholarships they have 40 offers for next year, where as we have 8 offers for 2 scholarships, now I know we just finalized our staff, but still there are other schools that have 2-3 offers for each scholarship and then you have UT with 9 offers for each spot.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:15 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Thanks Sam and Moose, I was actually looking at the offers that Toledo had out there and I think for 5 scholarships they have 40 offers for next year, where as we have 8 offers for 2 scholarships, now I know we just finalized our staff, but still there are other schools that have 2-3 offers for each scholarship and then you have UT with 9 offers for each spot.

Wait a sec. Did I miss something? We have three kids graduating this year (Jenkins, Grant and Williams). Why only two scholarships? Have we already signed someone and I missed?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Thomas Kithier-Macomb Dakota[/quote]

Kithier offered by MSU this afternoon at the MSU team camp[/quote]

Not that we shouldn't try, but I think Kithier might be beyond our reach at this point. We should focus on guys we have a legitimate shot at signing.[/quote]

Always fun when topics veer wildly off course - esp on overly retread topics like the name change, sigh. Next up is why we should be in the Big East tomorrow. I'm standing by at the university mail box waiting for the postman to drop off the invite!

TK's offer from MSU perhaps means he'll collect quite a few more Power 5 conf school offers before its said and done. It could be that we have zero shot as a result. It could also be that JJ has a relationship, or we have first mover advantage, or perhaps TK would fear going to a Power 5 school and getting recruited over (at least at a place like MSU that could be possible with what Izzo has been doing on the recruiting trail lately). I'd trust the coaches to know when to pull the plug on trying to land him once they get the appropriate feedback from TK and his family.[/quote]

I was at a Detroit Southwestern vs. Cooley game in 1991, a buddy of mine who was friendly with Paul Swanson asked him who was he looking at, we both assumed it was the late Mike Hamilton, Swanson said no, I'm recruiting Jalen Rose. My buddy said "you aint getting no Jalen Rose", Swanson explained that he knew he wasn't going to get him, but he wanted to make sure UofD finished second, just in case things didn't work out at UofM. I can understand if we continued to recruit TK, I don't think he should be our option A.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Thomas Kithier-Macomb Dakota[/quote]

Kithier offered by MSU this afternoon at the MSU team camp[/quote]

Not that we shouldn't try, but I think Kithier might be beyond our reach at this point. We should focus on guys we have a legitimate shot at signing.[/quote]

TK's offer from MSU perhaps means he'll collect quite a few more Power 5 conf school offers before its said and done. It could be that we have zero shot as a result. It could also be that JJ has a relationship, or we have first mover advantage, or perhaps TK would fear going to a Power 5 school and getting recruited over (at least at a place like MSU that could be possible with what Izzo has been doing on the recruiting trail lately). I'd trust the coaches to know when to pull the plug on trying to land him once they get the appropriate feedback from TK and his family.[/quote]

TT,

I was at a Detroit Southwestern vs. Cooley game in 1991, a buddy of mine who was friendly with Paul Swanson asked him who was he looking at, we both assumed it was the late Mike Hamilton, Swanson said no, I'm recruiting Jalen Rose. My buddy said "you aint getting no Jalen Rose", Swanson explained that he knew he wasn't going to get him, but he wanted to make sure UofD finished second, just in case things didn't work out at UofM. I can understand if we continued to recruit TK, I don't think he should be our option A.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:TT,

Makes sense. A friend of mine connected to the UD Jesuit High School program told me that Coach Ray was in regular contact with Cassius Winston long after it was a foregone conclusion he wasn't going to U of D. It wasn't that full court press recruitment, but but they showed him a lot of love up until he made his commitment to MSU. Can't hurt.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:51 am

uofdmik2008 wrote:Tacitus I am tired of arguing with you and I cannot share any more of the details of the Board of Trustees meeting, but it has nothing with his leadership, make fun of it all you want, I don't think its a bad thing if the school has a historical nickname. You and other UofD alums should have done something in the past well before I was around, I am looking at the future and supporting leadership for the school that is trying to do the same. The 100 million was a way to show the enormity of the challenge to convince the board to change the name, the existence of the school is owed to the Sister's of Mercy, as far as that goes, Mercy College grads could complain that there is more identity of UofD than of Mercy College when people talk about the school. Glad that you think its a good idea for a Catholic School to take this name issue to a legal matter, I am sure it would make us look good with other Catholic institutions as well as alumni and public that we took the Sisters money to save the school and then turned around went against their wishes and renamed the school, by the way they have permanent presence on the Board of Trustees. The survey indicated that the older alumni did want the name change, where as the recent alums and incoming students could care less. So as an attorney take a look at the board and the original merger agreement first and then we can argue the finer points of the legal case. As far as academic and financial health of the University goes, people that specialize in branding and marketing said the name thing is irrelevant, this includes former head of marketing for a major US Corporation with over 35 years of experience that now is a faculty member at the school that graduated from UofD, Ill leave the law to you and ill take the marketing and business guys advice to Garibaldi. I am sure you will have many opportunities to make fun of people calling it UofD, I will continue calling it UofD, that is because it is part of a great history of the school, but at this point it is history! I have no problem of people trying to convince the Sisters of Mercy, Garibaldi did try to do that but could not, has nothing about leadership or being a bad president, he is the first one to try, he could not so he is focusing energy on areas he can improve instead of standing in the corner and crying about spilled milk!

Ok, Mik, we agree on most things, but not this one. I call Bull S***! on the survey indicating that the older alumni didn't want the name change. I participated in it, I heard what people wanted, thought. I personally did not here one person who thought going back to University of Detroit was a bad idea. While at the same time I did here some say they disliked immensely the Mercy name included. Chill a bit, lets use discussion, not anger to debate. I don't see anything so terrible in what Tacitus has said other than maybe a bit blunt on his criticism of Garibaldi.

Us "other" U of D alums have made attempts at changing the name back, but there sure wasn't a whole hell of a lot I could of done in 89 as we were on the cusp of the merger. The Mercy nuns should be applauded and thanked for saving the University of Detroit, however what is the likeliness of there existence if not for us. The time has not past for things to be fixed. The Mercy nuns need to become wise beyond there years in order for change to occur.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:56 am

Seems like Oakland does a lot of throwing out offers
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:34 am

titanmike wrote:

Seems like Oakland does a lot of throwing out offers

Not sure if verbalcommits.com is an accurate measuring stick, but UDM has eight reported offers out to class of 2017 recruits, Oakland has seven.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Steve Bell's new class of 2018 player rankings:

http://bankhoops.com/class-of-2018-mich ... prospects/
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Point guard Brandon Wade from Ann Arbor Skyline was offered today. He's #9 on Steve Bell's new list
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Verbal Commits reports the Titans have offered Bryce Washington, 6-4 shooting guard from Southfield Christian. He's the state of Michigan's #17 recruit on Steve Bell's list. Oakland, Toledo and Buffalo have also offered.

Previously reported offers and where they rank on Bell's class of 2018 list: #2 Thomas Kithier, #8 Davion Williams, #14 Tray Jackson, and #20 Gabe Brown.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:16 am

VerbalCommits reports that Brandon Johns, a 6-8, 215 lbs., Forward playing for East Lansing HS and Spiece Indy Heat (IN), has received an offer from Detroit. He is rated as a 3.7 star recruit. MSU, U-M, Iowa and Alabama have also offered. Steve Bell has him as #1 in the class of 2018. Aim high!
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball