2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Verbal Commuts reports “2018 Meadowcreek (GA)/Detroit commit F Cory Hightower is reopening his recruitment.” Yet another casualty of the extraordinarily long process to fill the head coaching position.

Steve Bell: “Coach-less Detroit loses a recruit.”

(At least we’re finally starting to see more consistency in branding.)

Maybe Cory wanted to see who the new coach might be as he really liked the school, but got tired of waiting. There are only a handful of days left before the signing period is over, very understandable that he would want to lock into a program that already has a staff in place.

Nero fiddles while Rome burns.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm

#RebrandFail
#RobertVowels
#WePAID
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 pm

If the Bronkema rumor is true. Look for these two, per a source as heading to Detroit. Juco All-American and nephew of Greg Kelser, Walt Kelser. Also Carl Bow if Hazel Park High.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm

titanmike wrote:If the Bronkema rumor is true. Look for these two, per a source as heading to Detroit. Juco All-American and nephew of Greg Kelser, Walt Kelser. Also Carl Bow if Hazel Park High.

Bow averaged 20 points and six rebounds per contest this past season. He earned consensus all-state accolades from the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and Bank Hoops. A first-team All-Oakland Activities Association pick, he was also named to both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News All-Metro North squads and was a 1,000 point scorer on the prep level. He posted a career-high 40 points in a single game, led his squad to an 18-3 overall record and has been tabbed as the state's #3 combo player and #22 overall standout by Inside Prep Sports. He was also ranked among the state's top 40 players by Prep Hoops.

The 6-0 Kelser tallied 21 points, 3.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 steals this past year for Schoolcraft Community College. He earned National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) First Team All-America accolades and was an All-Region XII First Team pick. This season, he was chosen as the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) Eastern Conference Player of the Year and also earned first-team All-MCCAA kudos in addition to being named to the District 10 All-Tournament Team. As a sophomore this year at Schoolcraft CC, Kelser ranked 18th in the country in scoring average and totaled 39 points in a single game. He led his squad to a 23-8 overall mark. Kelser is the nephew of Greg Kelser, a former Michigan State All-American and NBA veteran.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Titans03 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Knowing nothing about either of these players, seems like solid add ons. At least we'll have a full roster next season.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Titans03 wrote:Knowing nothing about either of these players, seems like solid add ons. At least we'll have a full roster next season.


I agree but they seem like the kind of players that would dribble into Calihan and drop 25pts on us, and I'd be asking why didn't we recruit that guy? While we'd have a guy like Solanke or Jesse Barnes sitting on the bench averaging 1.2 splinters in their rear end.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
titanmike wrote:If the Bronkema rumor is true. Look for these two, per a source as heading to Detroit. Juco All-American and nephew of Greg Kelser, Walt Kelser. Also Carl Bow if Hazel Park High.

Bow averaged 20 points and six rebounds per contest this past season. He earned consensus all-state accolades from the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and Bank Hoops. A first-team All-Oakland Activities Association pick, he was also named to both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News All-Metro North squads and was a 1,000 point scorer on the prep level. He posted a career-high 40 points in a single game, led his squad to an 18-3 overall record and has been tabbed as the state's #3 combo player and #22 overall standout by Inside Prep Sports. He was also ranked among the state's top 40 players by Prep Hoops.

The 6-0 Kelser tallied 21 points, 3.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 steals this past year for Schoolcraft Community College. He earned National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) First Team All-America accolades and was an All-Region XII First Team pick. This season, he was chosen as the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) Eastern Conference Player of the Year and also earned first-team All-MCCAA kudos in addition to being named to the District 10 All-Tournament Team. As a sophomore this year at Schoolcraft CC, Kelser ranked 18th in the country in scoring average and totaled 39 points in a single game. He led his squad to a 23-8 overall mark. Kelser is the nephew of Greg Kelser, a former Michigan State All-American and NBA veteran.


We definitely need warm bodies so... okay. If I were a current walk-on, I'd be asking for a scholarship for next season. After all, they are roughly as accomplished as these two.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Titans03 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:Knowing nothing about either of these players, seems like solid add ons. At least we'll have a full roster next season.


I agree but they seem like the kind of players that would dribble into Calihan and drop 25pts on us, and I'd be asking why didn't we recruit that guy? While we'd have a guy like Solanke or Jesse Barnes sitting on the bench averaging 1.2 splinters in their rear end.

+1 spot on
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 11, 2018 2:10 am

Titans03 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:Knowing nothing about either of these players, seems like solid add ons. At least we'll have a full roster next season.


I agree but they seem like the kind of players that would dribble into Calihan and drop 25pts on us, and I'd be asking why didn't we recruit that guy? While we'd have a guy like Solanke or Jesse Barnes sitting on the bench averaging 1.2 splinters in their rear end.

+1 spot on


The one really good player that Bronk might have had a shot at with West michigan connections was the Norman kid out of Godwin Heights. He is a player but we messed around to long finding a coach and Norman is off to Duquesne. He was also a good student and could have actually made his way past admissions.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Presbyterian and UT-Martin have offered Cory Hightower. I assume he will likely sign an LOI with one of those or another school by tomorrow. Sad to watch the wheels come completely off the bus.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:50 pm

‘18 Meadowcreek (GA) F Cory Hightower has committed to Presbyterian. @Meadowcreek_BB @Chigh_21

More carnage from this disfunctional process. I have to believe Hightower could have been salvaged as a Titan recruit if a head coach was hired in even a remotely timely manner. Unbelievable.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 am

Antoine Davis will be the fourth three star recruit to sign with UDM directly out of high school. On the other board someone posted that Coach Davis stated that he will not dismiss any players that want to stay. He also stated that his phone has been ringing off the hook. It will be interesting to see who will be on our roster next season.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... davis-7858

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ackson-411

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... llum-29510

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... iste-67251
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm

I wonder if Coach Davis did a lot of soul searching and homework before accepting the head coaching position (we know now it was a long, drawn out process) to give himself the time to assess how challenging it would be to recruit for UDM. Let’s face it, if he recruits well we will win and if he doesn’t, we won’t (no matter how good are the X’s and O’s, the motivational speeches, etc). Let’s face it, we will never pull a recruit away from U of M or MSU, but we also know you can still have a great program recruiting the next tier very well. Which makes me wonder how he would have made the determination to take our offer? Because I’m also pretty sure he could have landed a position with a better program than ours if he marketed himself more. Do you think he might have spoken confidentiality with an Izzo or someone like that?
Resurget Cineribus
Senior
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 am

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:I wonder if Coach Davis did a lot of soul searching and homework before accepting the head coaching position (we know now it was a long, drawn out process) to give himself the time to assess how challenging it would be to recruit for UDM. Let’s face it, if he recruits well we will win and if he doesn’t, we won’t (no matter how good are the X’s and O’s, the motivational speeches, etc). Let’s face it, we will never pull a recruit away from U of M or MSU, but we also know you can still have a great program recruiting the next tier very well. Which makes me wonder how he would have made the determination to take our offer? Because I’m also pretty sure he could have landed a position with a better program than ours if he marketed himself more. Do you think he might have spoken confidentiality with an Izzo or someone like that?


Sparky, I take him at his word that he was happy to retire in Houston and wasn't looking to leave. Vowels was patient and eventually made the sale, although I understand that Garibaldi was the closer.

I agree that UDM won't be first choice for a lot of four-star recruits in Detroit (hasn't happened since the '70s), but then again, if Vowels could sell Davis on the program then Davis might able to sell the occasional blue-chipper. Surround him with enough capable role players and some magic will happen again at the corner for Liv and 6.

Mostly I want to beat Oakland.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 pm

I would contend that John Wooden had the right idea about what it takes to win. It isn't all about how many stars the recruit has, it is about the system and culture they train and play within. The Titans don't need 3-4-5 star recruits to win the Horizon League and go the NCAA tournament. From my seat, that is the criteria for success on the court at this time.

Here is an article about John Wooden's philosophy. http://www.5-a-side.com/profiles/coach- ... -a-legend/

For those of you who read this, please make it down to the section about pep talks to teams. I couldn't agree more - in sports or business. As we saw over the past two years, great speeches did not win games.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am

StJoeUofD wrote:I would contend that John Wooden had the right idea about what it takes to win. It isn't all about how many stars the recruit has, it is about the system and culture they train and play within. The Titans don't need 3-4-5 star recruits to win the Horizon League and go the NCAA tournament. From my seat, that is the criteria for success on the court at this time.

Here is an article about John Wooden's philosophy. http://www.5-a-side.com/profiles/coach- ... -a-legend/

For those of you who read this, please make it down to the section about pep talks to teams. I couldn't agree more - in sports or business. As we saw over the past two years, great speeches did not win games.


I agree with the core: conditioning, fundamentals, teamwork. But having Walt Hazzard, Gail Goodrich, Lew Alcindor, Henry Bibby, Curtis Rowe, Sidney Wicks, Bill Walton and Jamaal Wilkes probably didn't hurt.

P.S. Love the two pictures of Abdul-Jabbar and Wooden side by side in this article.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby 77-85Titan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

You left one out:

Conditioning, Fundamentals, Teamwork and Sam Gilbert. Especially Sam Gilbert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)
77-85Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Kind of plays to the old adage. Behind every great coach and recruiter there is a businessman who is a booster. I always felt if it wasn't UCLA the penalties would have been stronger. The UCLA and NCAA marriage was the first incidents to start to create my disdain for the NCAA.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

77-85Titan wrote:You left one out:

Conditioning, Fundamentals, Teamwork and Sam Gilbert. Especially Sam Gilbert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)

Let's not let that Obscure the fact that wooden was a great coach.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron