2018 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby The-Dude » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:44 pm

titanmike wrote:We can scratch Foster Loyer off of our list as he commits to MSU.

TMike, I may not be the only one that feels this way but when i check in and see that you posted on the recruiting thread, I get excited thinking that it is a new recruit commitment since you often have those juicy news. In this case, I was bummed to see that another talented young man decided to waste a great opportunity and pick MSU over UDM...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:12 pm

The-Dude wrote:
titanmike wrote:We can scratch Foster Loyer off of our list as he commits to MSU.

TMike, I may not be the only one that feels this way but when i check in and see that you posted on the recruiting thread, I get excited thinking that it is a new recruit commitment since you often have those juicy news. In this case, I was bummed to see that another talented young man decided to waste a great opportunity and pick MSU over UDM...

The Titans never offered Loyer, and indeed I've seen no evidence that we ever recruited him.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:32 am

Doesn't mean it didn't happen Commish
titanmike
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:57 am

titanmike wrote:Doesn't mean it didn't happen Commish

Good point. It's also possible that Josh Jackson called Bacari and said he wanted to be a Titan, but Bacari said "no," we've got enough 5 star big men.

Foster Loyer signing with MSU is of interest, like any Michigan kid signing with anybody. But it doesn't change our recruiting situation--we were never in the running for Foster Loyer.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:42 am

This is a big loss for us. The only things I can compare this to are when we lost LeBron James to the NBA draft or Jabari Parker to Duke.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am

Commissioner wrote:
titanmike wrote:Doesn't mean it didn't happen Commish

Good point. It's also possible that Josh Jackson called Bacari and said he wanted to be a Titan, but Bacari said "no," we've got enough 5 star big men.

Foster Loyer signing with MSU is of interest, like any Michigan kid signing with anybody. But it doesn't change our recruiting situation--we were never in the running for Foster Loyer.

Let me correct myself, marginally. I never suggested by my comment that he was offered, although you have no evidence that we never recruited him, I had information to the contrary. I would like to think I have a pretty good track record. Coach Smith was his primary recruiter. When Loyer started busting loose we were out. You are correct we were never in the running for Loyer after he got hot and was offered by MSU.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:25 am

You guys can make fun of TitanMike (who has connections within the program) if you want. You can also make fun of BA and his staff. They haven't reeled in any big name players yet but they are going after a higher level of player. Ray is a proven good recruiter but the jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them. It's more than that, I realize. It's the league, the facility, the amenities, the dorms...but Dickie V came in dreaming the big dream and went after the big boys and eventually they started paying attention. Right now we might have to settle for some Brian Alexanders and Bacari Alexanders and hopefully a Jermaine Jackson (ironically, not just a metaphor) but eventually, if this thing starts working out, the big boys will be calling us. Right now, they are just putting the U-D offer in their back pocket while looking for other options. That will change. Not today. But it will change. Either climb on board or shut up with the gallows humor. I don't care, but it just shows that you are thinking smalltime. If we don't climb the mountain I will be disappointed, but listen to Bacari or JJ for 5 minutes and then decide if you would play for them.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:34 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:You guys can make fun of TitanMike (who has connections within the program) if you want. You can also make fun of BA and his staff. They haven't reeled in any big name players yet but they are going after a higher level of player. Ray is a proven good recruiter but the jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them. It's more than that, I realize. It's the league, the facility, the amenities, the dorms...but Dickie V came in dreaming the big dream and went after the big boys and eventually they started paying attention. Right now we might have to settle for some Brian Alexanders and Bacari Alexanders and hopefully a Jermaine Jackson (ironically, not just a metaphor) but eventually, if this thing starts working out, the big boys will be calling us. Right now, they are just putting the U-D offer in their back pocket while looking for other options. That will change. Not today. But it will change. Either climb on board or shut up with the gallows humor. I don't care, but it just shows that you are thinking smalltime. If we don't climb the mountain I will be disappointed, but listen to Bacari or JJ for 5 minutes and then decide if you would play for them.

I don't know what my connections are, but I stumble across things or rely on some others sourcing to give me credible information.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:43 am

It's not U-D, it's Detroit Mercy now. Talk about EMBRACING change.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:[T]he jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them.

I think that's the problem, Tom. The guys who want to play for BA / JJ are slow, short, 55-year-old white guys who can't jump.

Ha-ha. Ha-ha. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just joking. First year is usually a down year, so I am expecting great recruits from these guys in 2018 and beyond.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

NC Titan wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:[T]he jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them.

I think that's the problem, Tom. The guys who want to play for BA / JJ are slow, short, 55-year-old white guys who can't jump.

Ha-ha. Ha-ha. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just joking. First year is usually a down year, so I am expecting great recruits from these guys in 2018 and beyond.

The two best recruiting classes in the Horizon were brought in by 1st yr coaches last fall at
nKU and UIC
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:37 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:You guys can make fun of TitanMike (who has connections within the program) if you want. You can also make fun of BA and his staff. They haven't reeled in any big name players yet but they are going after a higher level of player. Ray is a proven good recruiter but the jury is still out on BA/JJ and staff, but I would sure want to play for them. It's more than that, I realize. It's the league, the facility, the amenities, the dorms...but Dickie V came in dreaming the big dream and went after the big boys and eventually they started paying attention. Right now we might have to settle for some Brian Alexanders and Bacari Alexanders and hopefully a Jermaine Jackson (ironically, not just a metaphor) but eventually, if this thing starts working out, the big boys will be calling us. Right now, they are just putting the U-D offer in their back pocket while looking for other options. That will change. Not today. But it will change. Either climb on board or shut up with the gallows humor. I don't care, but it just shows that you are thinking smalltime. If we don't climb the mountain I will be disappointed, but listen to Bacari or JJ for 5 minutes and then decide if you would play for them.

Tom
To the contrary, I'm totally thinking big time. It's others who are making feeble excuses. With Loyer, I'm just stating fact--he was effectively scratched off our list a long time ago. It there is no excuse for not landing a top class this year. Dickie V got his best class his first fall-- Long, Tyler, Anderson etc. I'm glad we're offering Brandon johns and Rocket Watts. Stating reality about Loyer is just stating reality, not small-time thinking. I expect big and things and will not accept "well it's his first year " as an excuse.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:53 am

Commissioner wrote:

Tom
To the contrary, I'm totally thinking big time. It's others who are making feeble excuses. With Loyer, I'm just stating fact--he was effectively scratched off our list a long time ago. It there is no excuse for not landing a top class this year. Dickie V got his best class his first fall-- Long, Tyler, Anderson etc. I'm glad we're offering Brandon johns and Rocket Watts. Stating reality about Loyer is just stating reality, not small-time thinking. I expect big and things and will not accept "well it's his first year " as an excuse.

"and indeed I've seen no evidence that we ever recruited him." When he committed he was effectively off of our list. I didn't suggest small time thinking, I merely suggest to you that in fact he had been recruited by us contrary to what you had previously said.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I think there is a simple answer to this. No we never recruited Lawyer, Why, because we want J.J. They are rivals, They play the same position, they played AAU together one year and then split because both wanted the ball more at least that is what I was told. We had very little chance at Lawyer but a great chance at JJ so we wouldn't do anything to get JJ upset with us. Just my guess but then, I'm really not that smart.
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 am

Notsosmart wrote:I think there is a simple answer to this. No we never recruited Lawyer, Why, because we want J.J. They are rivals, They play the same position, they played AAU together one year and then split because both wanted the ball more at least that is what I was told. We had very little chance at Lawyer but a great chance at JJ so we wouldn't do anything to get JJ upset with us. Just my guess but then, I'm really not that smart.

We had very little chance at Loyer, agreed, we did recruit him. Done.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 am

David DeJulius is off the board, headed to Michigan. Detroit Mercy had offered:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /95772026/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 pm

well. i'm glad we didn't then.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 am

We offered Wayne Memorial G Rashad Williams last night
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 am

HSScout1 wrote:We offered Wayne Memorial G Rashad Williams last night

Well, we have a history of doing well with PG's named Rashad. ;)

Frankly, out of the offers at the (projected) PG spot for 2018, I'm not sure who I'd most like to have. I'd take any one of our offers so far and be happy.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 am

Commissioner wrote:

Tom

Commish, You're a year off. Vitale was hired in 1973 and his first fall class was Walter Smith ("Chairman of the Boards") and Dennis Boyd ("Shake and Bake"). There were kids he had recruited while he was at Rutgers, and they instead followed Vitale to UofD. Long and Tyler were his second class, fall of 1974, which Vitale had a full year to recruit.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball