2017 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 am

Sorry if there is one, I could not find it. I was reading an article on Malik Ellison class 2017(not the St. Johns player), during my lunch break an looked at his stats, which look pretty impressive. Has anyone seen this kid play? Is he worth looking at?

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-618856935935905308/beechers-malik-ellison-still-looking-to-land-first-college-offer/

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-ellison/DARWvT6cEeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:31 pm

dunno mik. the only thing I can see, aside from being 5'8", is that he seemed to play fewer game each year. from 20 as a freshman to 12 last year? have no idea why that would be for a budding star? injury prone? dunno.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Sorry if there is one, I could not find it. I was reading an article on Malik Ellison class 2017(not the St. Johns player), during my lunch break an looked at his stats, which look pretty impressive. Has anyone seen this kid play? Is he worth looking at?

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-618856935935905308/beechers-malik-ellison-still-looking-to-land-first-college-offer/

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-ellison/DARWvT6cEeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm


I've seen him play basketball several times. He is a good player. I do not think we should offer him a scholarship. ;)
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:48 pm

U of D Jesuit F Ikechukwu Eke has committed to Marquette
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Steve Bell's new top 25 list for the class of 2017

http://bankhoops.com/class-of-2017-mich ... prospects/

Realistically, I'm hoping for (or maybe I should say expecting) #5 and #8
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby kirky313 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:01 pm

5 and 6 are best bets
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: the clem

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:03 am

They http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit say we've offered from Michigan...

#5. Jackson PG (offers also from Auburn, Northwestern, Ga Tech, MAC schools)
11. Hardy PG (Georgia Tech, MAC schools)
3. Cain SG (several big school offers including UM, Marquette, Xavier, Fla St, etc)
10. Beacher SG (must be a smart kid, has offers from the likes of Brown, Cornell, Lehigh, bunch of MAC schools, OU)
8. Greg E PF (mostly mid-major offers incl DePaul, Loyola)

Guessing we aren't going to land Kithier in class of 18 now that he has a Mich State offer and surely more to come. Either we land Greg E to shore up our big men or we get going with inroads on other big men in class of 17 and 18.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm

The reason we keep recruiting Kithier is because the offer he has from MSU is not a written offer. It Is a non binding verbal offer. Schools throw those around like water. Schools cannot make binding (written) offers before his senior year..... I think it is August before his senior year but not sure. So keep recruiting him hard and see what happens. If we really want him don't give up. Show him we want him to be a Titan. When it is all said and done he might say yes to us!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:21 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:They http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit say we've offered from Michigan...

#5. Jackson PG (offers also from Auburn, Northwestern, Ga Tech, MAC schools)
11. Hardy PG (Georgia Tech, MAC schools)
3. Cain SG (several big school offers including UM, Marquette, Xavier, Fla St, etc)
10. Beacher SG (must be a smart kid, has offers from the likes of Brown, Cornell, Lehigh, bunch of MAC schools, OU)
8. Greg E PF (mostly mid-major offers incl DePaul, Loyola)

Guessing we aren't going to land Kithier in class of 18 now that he has a Mich State offer and surely more to come. Either we land Greg E to shore up our big men or we get going with inroads on other big men in class of 17 and 18.

Titans have also reportedly offered #7 G Greg Elliott and #2 C Isaiah Livers. Livers has cracked the top 100 in most national rankings and would be tough to land, although as yet his he hasn't shown reported offers beyond Creighton, VCU, DePaul (are these schools mid majors?), and mid-majors. Elliott picked up a lot of steam in past few months and there have been reported offers from the likes of Washington State, Southern Mississippi, DePaul and Duquesne. He's got a dozen or more overall, including several Horizon schools.

It's always tough to know if certain offers remain outstanding, how committed the offering school was, and indeed if they were true offers at all.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:51 am

TJ Kelley's top 25 player rankings for 2017

http://ipsbasketball.com/michigan_2017_7_2016

Interesting how he has Marquette commit Eke 3 spots lower than his teammate Eboigbodin, almost reversed of how Bell has it.
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:02 am

My observation over the years has been that once a player commits he drops in the rankings. That player is less attractive to those with an interest in the excitement of "who's going where?"
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 am

is kevin mcadoo any relation to our own kevin mcadoo? played for sicko?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

NC Titan wrote:My observation over the years has been that once a player commits he drops in the rankings. That player is less attractive to those with an interest in the excitement of "who's going where?"


My observation has been that where a player commits has an impact on that. I've seen players rise after committing to a program considered elite, and I've seen them fall if they commit to a program considered to be lesser.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:19 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
NC Titan wrote:My observation over the years has been that once a player commits he drops in the rankings. That player is less attractive to those with an interest in the excitement of "who's going where?"


My observation has been that where a player commits has an impact on that. I've seen players rise after committing to a program considered elite, and I've seen them fall if they commit to a program considered to be lesser.


Back a long time ago, JR Reid was the top target in the country. He committed to UNC and immediately dropped to, like, #5. Someone else took first place that week, committed that next week, and then that guy dropped to #5. Happened quite a few weeks in a row, with an uncommitted prep player always moving to #1.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:36 pm

agreed nct. my understanding is rankings are often based on the number and quality of schools offering. when a player commits early the interest from others drops off and so does the ranking.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

titanmac wrote:agreed nct. my understanding is rankings are often based on the number and quality of schools offering. when a player commits early the interest from others drops off and so does the ranking.

This all may be true for national rankings sites such as Rivals or Scout, but I don't think you'll find that with in-state recruiting services. They make a living getting paid for providing good information to coaches. These in-state guys have usually seen most of these players in person, multiple times and in various settings. The rankings they do are usually just a little PR thing to get their name out, make kids want to come to their camps, etc., but in the end, their bread and butter is getting it right--giving good info to coaches, so that good players come to their camps, so that coaches find them useful to recruit at, so that good players come, and they send accurate evaluations to coaches, etc. In that sense they're like the betting houses that set odds and take wagers on political races, as opposed to the pundits, who can afford to just bloviate. Their livelihood is the quality of the reports and rankings as evaluated by coaches whom they need to be repeat customers, not the number of clicks they can get.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:37 pm

unless of course mccabe is doing the rankings. then all bets are off unless you consider the consistency of his bias.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:51 pm

titanmac wrote:unless of course mccabe is doing the rankings. then all bets are off unless you consider the consistency of his bias.

LOL. McCabe's a pundit though, so he can bloviate.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

good word, bloviate, autofil wants to change it to "blockage"? seems equally appropriate somehow....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4706
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Commissioner wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:They http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit say we've offered from Michigan...

#5. Jackson PG (offers also from Auburn, Northwestern, Ga Tech, MAC schools)
11. Hardy PG (Georgia Tech, MAC schools)
3. Cain SG (several big school offers including UM, Marquette, Xavier, Fla St, etc)
10. Beacher SG (must be a smart kid, has offers from the likes of Brown, Cornell, Lehigh, bunch of MAC schools, OU)
8. Greg E PF (mostly mid-major offers incl DePaul, Loyola)

Guessing we aren't going to land Kithier in class of 18 now that he has a Mich State offer and surely more to come. Either we land Greg E to shore up our big men or we get going with inroads on other big men in class of 17 and 18.

Titans have also reportedly offered #7 G Greg Elliott and #2 C Isaiah Livers. Livers has cracked the top 100 in most national rankings and would be tough to land, although as yet his he hasn't shown reported offers beyond Creighton, VCU, DePaul (are these schools mid majors?), and mid-majors. Elliott picked up a lot of steam in past few months and there have been reported offers from the likes of Washington State, Southern Mississippi, DePaul and Duquesne. He's got a dozen or more overall, including several Horizon schools.

It's always tough to know if certain offers remain outstanding, how committed the offering school was, and indeed if they were true offers at all.


Livers commits to Michigan
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Motor City Sam and 4 guests