2017 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titandave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 pm

udballer wrote:I love giving out grades and would be happy to do so again on this thread. I will say this, however. I think that grading the players added to the roster and grading the coaching staff on recruiting wouldn't necessarily be the same thing in this instance. My opinion on the recruits added, if anyone cares:

JJ Jr. is an A
Jack Ballantyne is a B
Roschon Prince is a B+
Mendez gets an F
Total GPA: 2.58

That said, 50% of this recruiting class was either offspring of a member of the staff or a player hoping for a package deal with said offspring. Not sure how difficult it was to recruit those two onto the team. Can't mark the staff down for it, because they still did a great job in landing those two. However, not every year will BA have the opportunity to recruit a kid whose diapers he used to change... at least I hope not.

I agree with your grades on JJ Jr, Ballantyne, and Prince. However, I'm going with a grade of 'C' on Mendez .... I'm inclined to believe this kid possesses a skill set that will enable him to be a solid contributor.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:Here comes one of my I told you so's. I went up to an all star game pitting the best players in the UP against the best players from the Northern half of Wisconsin. The Wisconsin team had 5 all staters on it. The game started out with a 6'8" kid from Ripon who is headed to Ohio U dominating. Our big guys couldn't handle him so Whitens who was the floor leader switched on him to shut him down. He had 12 points in the first 5 min. of the game and Whitens held him to 7 the rest of the night while scoring 33pts., 14 rebounds and 11 assists, all in about 3 Qtrs. of a game. He also won the 3 Pt. contest and the dunk contest and by the way Whitens had the best high jump in the Up, all classes even though he hadn't competed in three years prior just suited up for regionals and took first for his school. This is the kid that our coaches didn't even take a look at and when they did he supposedly wasn't athletic enough. I am looking forward to seeing him play against us at Calihan Hall. So what did BA do with the scholarship, well guys he is still looking for someone to fill it. The reason this annoys me so is that I started telling our coaches about this exceptional person when he was a Soph.


UP, as fans, the only thing we can do is let the staff know about a prospect, its up to them if they respond. You did your part and titan fans thank you for that. It certainly can be frustrating, but please do not hesitate to let the staff know about future prospects. I've been doing it for over 25 years and have NEVER gotten a response. I will continue to notify the staff if there is a player out there who I believe can help us. We talked about it in the thread below around three years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1831&p=25385&hilit=ken+conley#p25385
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 pm

kirky313 wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:
kirky313 wrote:guys to look out for Tariq Jones and Charles Penn at Schoolcraft. Each played for JJ at Mt.clemens


Pure speculation Kirk, or is there some on the ground intel you are hearing?

Seems both are slender 6'7 guys, with Penn having more impressive freshman season at the Juco level. Both just transferred to Scraft for their soph season from out of state schools. We do need some heft and height on that front line, or heck just someone taller than me to be able to play.


Black had a list of schools he talked to on twitter, we were one. Penn was interested in walking on in the spring and have the jj connection


Tariq Jones in play to Detroit
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 am

Mike -- what does "in play to Detroit" mean?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 am

NC Titan wrote:Mike -- what does "in play to Detroit" mean?


I know, I am sorry, being cryptic is tough. I think he will be on our roster this fall.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 am

If Jones is "in play to Detroit", then something must have changed.

From April: (ULM is the University of Louisiana Monroe)

ULM men’s basketball head coach Keith Richard has announced the addition of Tariiq Jones as a part of the spring signing period. Jones joins the Warhawk program from Schoolcraft College in Michigan.....


http://www.ulmwarhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=211560092&SPID=10981&SPSID=90653
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:10 am

HSScout1 wrote:If Jones is "in play to Detroit", then something must have changed.

From April: (ULM is the University of Louisiana Monroe)

ULM men’s basketball head coach Keith Richard has announced the addition of Tariiq Jones as a part of the spring signing period. Jones joins the Warhawk program from Schoolcraft College in Michigan.....


http://www.ulmwarhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=211560092&SPID=10981&SPSID=90653


Based on what I heard, yes, something clearly must be changing.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Based on my calculations, this addition would only slightly drop the recruiting grade. It would go from 2.58 to 2.4. Why not. :)
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 pm

udballer wrote:Based on my calculations, this addition would only slightly drop the recruiting grade. It would go from 2.58 to 2.4. Why not. :)


Be careful, you aren't allowed to be critical of any recruits on this board. :roll:
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 pm

If we lose Mendez I'm boycotting the Titans and not going to any games this season.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
udballer wrote:Based on my calculations, this addition would only slightly drop the recruiting grade. It would go from 2.58 to 2.4. Why not. :)


Be careful, you aren't allowed to be critical of any recruits on this board. :roll:


My mistake. I forgot the rules again. It's okay to be critical of subpar recruits until they receive a Detroit Mercy offer... then their stock immediately rises and blind faith kicks in. I'll try to remember that moving forward. ;)
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am

udballer wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:
udballer wrote:Based on my calculations, this addition would only slightly drop the recruiting grade. It would go from 2.58 to 2.4. Why not. :)


Be careful, you aren't allowed to be critical of any recruits on this board. :roll:


My mistake. I forgot the rules again. It's okay to be critical of subpar recruits until they receive a Detroit Mercy offer... then their stock immediately rises and blind faith kicks in. I'll try to remember that moving forward. ;)


No, I think the rules that you guys set are just be critical of everything, no matter what. Heck I am sure someone on here will be upset if we get a top 10 recruit because we did not get someone else that they liked or if we go to Sweet 16 someone on here will be critical that we did not win the National Championship. Heck some people on here say that the Freshman of the year Corey Allen is not an A-grade recruit, go figure!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby titanmike » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:If we lose Mendez I'm boycotting the Titans and not going to any games this season.


Probably wont see you around
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:16 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:No, I think the rules that you guys set are just be critical of everything, no matter what. Heck I am sure someone on here will be upset if we get a top 10 recruit because we did not get someone else that they liked or if we go to Sweet 16 someone on here will be critical that we did not win the National Championship. Heck some people on here say that the Freshman of the year Corey Allen is not an A-grade recruit, go figure!


Now that's not true at all. I'm comfortable saying that nobody on the board (short of OUDrummer) would be upset with a top 10 recruit. It's those borderline top-1000 recruits that rub some people the wrong way.

Also, I can't speak for everyone... but I'd gladly take a Sweet 16. As far as being critical for not going further than sweet 16, I guess that would entirely depend on the situation. Regardless of the paper outcome, you should always watch the games with an open mind and be willing to dish out praise or criticism. So, in regards to your hypothetical Sweet 16 run:

1) If BA's Titans get overpowered by Kentucky in the regional semi-final, play a tough game and lose by 8... hooray for the sweet 16!
2) If BA's Titans are up 20 late in the 2nd half against Rhode Island in the regional semi & then BA pulls the starters in favor of Mendez, Tariiq, Eichler, Long and Bass Ollie... only to watch the lead disappear without calling a timeout... we should have went further.

:D
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby StJoeUofD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Some English teacher is cringing at your last comment OD (not to mention those who disagree with you on this site).
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby The-Dude » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

It's been real quiet here lately...

Verbal commits of Iceland is reporting that we are still in the running for the top unsigned recruit from this enchanted Island of Garoar. Ones this giant 7 foot three star recruit signs with us, it will be historic as he would be our first Nordic recruit.

Our coaching staff just tweeted this on Facebook Live "beyond blessed"

Clint Hampton Jr. from CBSports just reported that this signing will make the Detroit Mercy Titan the top contenders in the HL for 2018. He also said that tickets for home games will be "Hotter than a hooker's doorknob on pay day"...

UNREAL...
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby udballer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Some English teacher is cringing at your last comment OD (not to mention those who disagree with you on this site).


Criticism of my writing is a direct attack on the value of a Detroit Mercy education. I have an English minor from your favorite school. :D
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm

udballer wrote:
StJoeUofD wrote:Some English teacher is cringing at your last comment OD (not to mention those who disagree with you on this site).


Criticism of my writing is a direct attack on the value of a Detroit Mercy education. I have an English minor from your favorite school. :D


'Baller, I prefer to think of you as a bad typist. 8-)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Here's a possibilty from the Class of 2016 that we were hot and heavy into at that time: Al Eichelberger from DePaul will transfer


Al is enrolling at Cleveland State. One of the assistant coaches who helped recruit to and coached him at DePaul is an assistant with the Vikings now. I think he will be a very good HL player.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby kirky313 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:54 pm

CSU needs that signing as they have lost damn near every other solid player they have.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: the clem

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Titan Jim, titanmac and 9 guests