Pontiac Scoreboard

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Pontiac Scoreboard

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm

It's a great point NotSo - traditionally Kampe had a reputation as really loading up on the nonconf schedule to push his team and to get some paychecks. Criticism then was that it just beat the team down and demoralized them. Therefore it's a bit surprising that for this year that has completely changed and maybe a shift in philosophy going forward?

As for OU comments about us and kicking us while down...winning cures so much, and frankly with the our RPI in disaster zone its warranted and nothing we can fight back on. Should they get joy out of it all, then I shall say 'you are welcome' for making their holidays a bit more jolly.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:42 pm

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Glad some of your realize the asinine statement of saying OU always plays a weak schedule. Traditionally one of the hardest in the country and been raked over the coals for trading losses for paychecks.

This year they set out to give the fans and team an unprecedented amount of home games. In many ways it has backfired. You have to first off realize the biggest reason this schedule was set up. THIS WAS TO PACK THE ORENA EVERY NIGHT SO PEOPLE COULD WATCH KAY FELDER. Whoops. Much like OU had no way of knowing Kay wouldn't be here this season, they also didn't have much reason to think many of the middle of the road mid majors they would schedule would all decide to have a real down year this year. This has produced frustratingly average attendance numbers. Nothing tragic, but not what they planned for. All you can do is win the games in front of you which OU is doing. They've played one bad half of basketball and it came against Nevada. Past that, they just have to keep playing well and hope to at least take 2/3 from Northeastern, Georgia and Michigan State.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm

You can not argue the choking at the end of the year matter. that is not a stupid statement, that is a fact. What good is it to have a team that talks as if they are all about it then choke badly every year. It's sad, really...
Last edited by The-Dude on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:36 pm

The point was about choking at the end of the year due to playing cupcake schedules. Which is indeed false and stupid. If choking at the end of the year means not winning the conference, doesn't that mean 8 other teams also choked? Or only OU and Valpo can choke because they actually win games and are seen as teams to beat every year? If we had no expectations and lost to non div 1 teams, it wouldn't be a choke anymore? Just want to understand the rules.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm

BTW, way to derail this thread for the Commish. We should start a new thread talking about how lame OU is. I would hate for the Commish to lose the sponsorship for the tread, from Pontiac!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Fun fact, not only did I not start an OU conversation here, I merely added non biased facts furthering someone else's post. But hey, easy to blame the OU guy for trolling, right?
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Notsosmart wrote:It amazes me how we say this stupid stuff all the time. First Oakland has the rep of playing too hard of a non conference schedule, in fact this board and the Valpo board ripped them in their first few years in the league because their hard schedules were selfish and brought the league down. ( If they need money they should have never gotten in our league) Remember that.And then to say they choke at the end of the year when they have been to the NCAA's 3 times in the last 11 years makes us really look bad. I too have taken a close look at them plus watched their Oral Roberts game on tv and heres what stands out. Commish maybe you can help me out here. They aren't winning, they are kicking peoples behinds. They have had a 15 point lead or better in every game they have played including their loss. They lead the league in almost every defensive stat and still lead the league in scoring. The game I watched they had a 40 point lead on Oral Roberts who 2 days later lost at State by 4. They are beating people by 17 points a game. Hopefully it's just a weak schedule, hopefully we will finally find a way to beat them at least once but I guess we should just keep our mouths (fingers) shut until we do. I was on their board and they are saying all the stuff we said about them a few years ago, Detroit should get throw out of the league. I for one don't much like reading that.

I agree, OU has always played difficult schedules, almost every year since they transitioned to D1. Kampe seems to have that team rolling, all we can do is try to get better. Unfortunately, we have two severe thrashings coming this winter.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm starting a new thread so we can stop derailing this one. It's going to be called "OU - cake walk schedule and the art of choking".
Last edited by The-Dude on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Notsosmart wrote:It amazes me how we say this stupid stuff all the time. First Oakland has the rep of playing too hard of a non conference schedule, in fact this board and the Valpo board ripped them in their first few years in the league because their hard schedules were selfish and brought the league down. ( If they need money they should have never gotten in our league) Remember that.And then to say they choke at the end of the year when they have been to the NCAA's 3 times in the last 11 years makes us really look bad. I too have taken a close look at them plus watched their Oral Roberts game on tv and heres what stands out. Commish maybe you can help me out here. They aren't winning, they are kicking peoples behinds. They have had a 15 point lead or better in every game they have played including their loss. They lead the league in almost every defensive stat and still lead the league in scoring. The game I watched they had a 40 point lead on Oral Roberts who 2 days later lost at State by 4. They are beating people by 17 points a game. Hopefully it's just a weak schedule, hopefully we will finally find a way to beat them at least once but I guess we should just keep our mouths (fingers) shut until we do. I was on their board and they are saying all the stuff we said about them a few years ago, Detroit should get throw out of the league. I for one don't much like reading that.

I agree, OU has always played difficult schedules, almost every year since they transitioned to D1. Kampe seems to have that team rolling, all we can do is try to get better. Unfortunately, we have two severe thrashings coming this winter.

They've got games coming up with Georgia and Michigan State. Their schedule would also be tougher had they held on to beat Nevada in the Alaska Shootout--they would have played Buffalo instead of Alaska-Anchorage, and Iona or Weber State in place of UC-Davis.

FWIW, I had hoped we would schedule a bunch of cupcakes this year.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 pm

The-Dude wrote:the art of chocking".

https://youtu.be/wujVMIYzYXg

Would be great for the league if you could avoid "chocking" up another loss.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Oudrummer wrote:
The-Dude wrote:the art of choking".

https://youtu.be/wujVMIYzYXg

Would be great for the league if OU could avoid "choking" at the end of another season.

Agreed.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Meanwhile, back to scores...

For Friday, Dec. 9 (no Horizon on Titan non-conference teams were in action):

Other Games:
#10 Creighton 113, Longwood 58.

Mid-Major Win of the Day: Hartford 65, Boston College 63. Are you a mid-major? Looking for your first win ever over an ACC team? Boston College will pay you for the opportunity to get that victory. Jason Dunne hit a three-pointer with 2 seconds left for the win. Dunne finished with 25 points for Hartford (3-8). BC is 4-5, with losses to Nicholls State, Harvard, and Richmond.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:03 am

On a quiet Div. I day, I could not help but notice Wayne State dropping another game tonight, losing to the University of Mary (Bismarck, N.D.) 78-85. The warriors are 2-7 on the season. Hmm...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:56 am

The-Dude wrote:On a quiet Div. I day, I could not help but notice Wayne State dropping another game tonight, losing to the University of Mary (Bismarck, N.D.) 78-85. The warriors are 2-7 on the season. Hmm...

Dude, that's the other Wayne State--Wayne State College of Wayne, Nebraska. As reported in last night's scores, our Wayne State University is actually a pretty good D-II team--they're actually 6-1 and tied for first in the GLIAC North with Saginaw Valley.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:41 am

Saturday, December 10:

Horizon:
Bowling Green 74, Detroit 61. The Titans find new and unattractive ways to lose.

Oakland 74, Robert Morris 53. OU (9-1) played its first true road game of the year, unless you count Alaska-Anchorage up in the Great Alaska Shootout. Jalen Hayes led the victory with 16 points. Robert Morris (3-8) shot just 32%.

Valparaiso 84, Missouri State 81. Alec Peters was fouled on a three point attempt with five seconds left to play, and hit all three foul shots to get visiting Valpo a win over Missouri State (5-3). Peters, the nation's #2 scorer, finished with 27 points and 11 rebounds as Valpo improved to 8-2.

Northern Kentucky 80, Southeast Missouri State 66. Cole Murray hit 8 three pointers in 11 attempts as NKU (7-3) rolled past SEMU (4-6) for its 4th straight win.

#18 Purdue 77, Cleveland State 53. Purdue (8-2) dominated from the opening tip to whip CSU (3-6). Bobby Word led the Vikings with 14.

Loyola 72, Milwaukee 56. Loyola (9-2) knocked off its second Horizon team in a week, as many as they would sometimes beat in an entire season near the end of the Horizon tenure. Big spending and an MVC membership is slowly rejuvenating Loyola hoops. Milwaukee (4-6) got 13 points from Cody Wichmann.

Grand Canyon 73, UIC 69. Dikembe Dixson led all scorers with 19 points, but was just 5 of 17 from the field and UIC (4-5) fell to Dan Majerle's Grand Canyon team (5-4) down in Phoenix.

American 77, Youngstown State 62. YSU (5-6) remains maddeningly inconsistant, losing badly to a bad (2-7) American squad despite the return of Cameron Morse. Morse finished with 21, but it took 20 shots to get there.

Non-Conference Opponents:

Illinois 92, Central Michigan 73. CMU entered the game 8-2, but in their first game against a P5 team they were no match for Illinois. Tracy Abrams had 31 for the Illini (8-3). Marcus Keene, the nation's leading scorer, had 25 for CMU.

Marshall 111, Toledo 105 (OT). Toledo played its 5th overtime game of the season after Marshall blocked a potential game winner by Steve Taylor at the end of regulation. Jon Elmore had 35 points and 10 assists for Marshall (6-3). Jonathan Williams followed up his 29 point performance against Detroit with 28 points, while Taylor had 27 points and 10 rebounds for the Rockets (4-6).

Dayton 75, East Tennessee State 61. Dayton's a tough place to win. Charles Cooke had 24 for the Flyers. Both teams are 7-2.

Fort Wayne 98, Austin Peay 58. If we don't beat Western Kentucky, I don't think we're going to beat Ft. Wayne (8-3).

Manhattan 60, Fordham 53. Fordham (5-6) led the entire first half, but Manhattan kept it close thanks to 15 points by Zavier Turner. Turner turned it off at halftime and didn't score again, but the Jaspers (3-7) rallied for the win.

New Hampshire 86, Bryant 73. Jaleen Smith had 28 and Daniel Dion 24 for New Hampshire (7-3). Bryant (3-8) had led by 8 at halftime.

Evansville 78, Murray State 46. This is not your usual, competitive Murray State team that beat Detroit.

Other Games of Interest:
#2 UCLA 102, Michigan 84. UCLA wore down the Wolverines in a shootout at Pauley Pavillion. The game was tied at 50 at halftime, but UCLA scored 19 seconds into the second half and never relinquished the lead. UM was still within 5 with just under eight minutes to play, but UCLA pulled away from there. TJ Leaf led UCLA (10-0) with 21 points and 8 rebounds. Zak Irvin had 18 points for UM (7-3).

Michigan State 71, Tennessee Tech 63. This one wasn't as close as the final score suggests, as MSU grabbed an 18 point lead midway through the first half, and was never seriously threatened. The final score was as close as it got. Eron Harris had 20 for State (7-4). Tech is just 4-7.

Western Michigan 74, James Madison 67. In 2013, Matt Brady led JMU to its first NCAA bid in 20 years, only its second in 30 years. His 2015 team won 19 games and last year James Madison went 21-11. James Madison then inexplicably fired Brady, who was 139-127 in 8 seasons. This year, the Dukes are 1-8 after losing to 3-6 Western.

#1 Villanova 74, #23 Notre Dame 66. A good game to watch. Notre Dame led for the first 30 minutes. The Wildcats finally caught the Irish with nine minutes left. From there, the teams traded baskets and leads until about the two and a half minute mark, and then the Wildcats, like a classic #1 ranked team, locked the Irish down, outscoring Notre Dame 9-2, and scoring the game's last 6 points. Josh Hart was the star of the game, knocking down fully half of Villanova's points and grabbing 11 rebounds as well. The win tied a school record 16 in a row for the Wildcats (10-0), while the Irish (9-1) drop from the unbeaten ranks.

#3 Kansas 89, Nebraska 72.
#5 Duke 94, UNLV 45. Sure, it's a rebuilding year at UNLV (5-4). Still, did you expect to see this score?
#8 Gonzaga 61, Akron 43. Gonzaga (10-0) put the defensive clamps on the Zips (7-3).
#9 Indiana 103, Houston Baptist 61.
#11 Louisville 102, Texas Southern 71. The 'Ville (9-1) pulled away late. The Cardinals hit 102 points despite shooting just 43%. Michigander Jaylen Johnson was one of 6 Louisville players in double figures, with 11 points and 8 rebounds.
#13 Xavier 77, Utah 69. In a losing cause, one-time Titan verbal commit Lorenzo Bonam had 18 points, and Michigander Kyle Kuzma added 11 points and 10 rebounds. But Xavier (8-2) won the turnover battle 14-8, and with it the game. The Utes are 6-2.
#15 West Virginia 90, VMI 55. The Mountaineers (8-1) shot 53% from three and outrebounded the Keydets (1-7) 49-29 in the rout.
#16 Butler 75, #22 Cincinnati 65. Butler (9-1) pulled away in the second half.
#17 Wisconsin 93, Marquette 84. Wisconsin (9-2) rallied from a 5 point halftime deficit with a 16-0 run, to win the big in-state battle in Wisconsin. Markus Howard led Marquette (7-3) with 22.
#20 Arizona 79, Missouri 60. Arizona (8-2) hit 13 of 24 three point attempts, and used a 26-4 run midway through the second half to finish off Missouri (5-4).

Memphis 62, UAB 55.
Temple 74, DePaul 65.
Houston 82, Rhode Island 77. Valpo needs Rhode Island (6-4) to do better than this.
Wichita State 76, Oklahoma 73.

Just 7 teams remain unbeaten.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Sunday, December 11 (6 days until next Titan loss):

Florida State 83, #21 Florida 78. Dwayne Bacon scored 9 points in a 15-4 second half run that broke open a tie game and set FSU (10-1) on the path to victory. The Seminoles would be a good bet to re-enter the Top 25 this week.

Eastern Michigan 117, Siena Heights 55. Eastern (6-3) won the turnover battle against outmanned Siena Heights 30 to 5.

Western Kentucky 77, Indiana State 59. The Titans next opponent, Western Kentucky, pulled away from Indiana State with a 15-2 run starting with under 9 minutes left to play. Pancake Thomas had 22 points and Justin Johnson had 14 points and 10 rebounds. Gotta like a player named "Pancake." The Hilltoppers (4-5) snapped a four game losing streak. Indiana State is 5-5.

Other Games

#6 Kentucky 96, Hofstra 73.
#7 North Carolina 73, Tennessee 71. UNC (10-1) rallied from 15 down to defeat the Volunteers (4-4) in Chapel Hill. Tony Bradley blocked a shot by Tennessee's Lamar Turner with 1 second left to seal the win.
#12 St. Mary's 84, UC-Irvine 53.
#24 Oregon 65, Alabama 56.

Virginia Tech 80, Mississippi 75.

Mid-Major Win of the Day: Nevada 87, Washington 85. This is hardly an upset as Nevada (8-2) is a MWC favorite and Washington is just 4-5. But I got tired of giving the recognition to teams for beating St. John's and Oregon State. Today it was Long Island (7-3) that upset the Johnnies (5-6), 74-73. Iverson Fleming had 21 points and hit what proved to be the game winner with 25 seconds to play. Meanwhile Savannah State (3-8) took out the Beavers (3-7), 93-90 in overtime.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:31 am

Monday, December 12, another light day as kids take exams:

Murray State 103, Bethel 65. Murray State squared its record at 5-5 by beating up NAIA Bethel College of Tennessee, not to be confused with Bethel, Indiana, Bethel, Minnesota, or my faves, the Threshers of Bethel College, Kansas.

Other Games:
Seton Hall 67, #16 South Carolina 64. A real dogfight, with 16 lead changes and 11 ties. South Carolina managed to briefly push the lead to 9 in the first minute of the second half, but the Hall closed it back up well before the half was half through, and they went back to trading leads on mini-runs of 4 or 5 points each. Seton Hall (8-2) finally got the game's last lead with 12 seconds left, and added a final free throw after a missed Gamecock three. That knocked South Carolina (8-1) out of the unbeaten ranks, leaving just 6 teams without a loss.

Mid-Major Win of the Night: Penn 58, Central Florida 49. UCF is an American Athletic team, so only kind of a mid-major themselves. Penn (4-5) certainly had no one to match up with 7-6 Tacko Fall (17 points, 17 rebounds)--Penn's tallest player is 6-8--but they stopped UCF, which entered the game at 7-1.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:51 am

Tuesday, December 13:

Horizon:
Wright State 85, Urbana 34. D-II Urbana stepped out to play some D-I teams this weak. Last night they lost to IUPUI 109-67. Tonight they were dismantled by WSU (7-4). Steve Davis led the rout with 26 points in 24 minutes. My cousin used to be county prosecutor in Urbana.

Other Games:
Michigan 97, Central Arkansas 53. Cupcakes! yUM! The Wolverines go to 8-3 with a romp over the 1-9 Bears.

#1 Villanova 78, Temple 57. Villanova held Temple to 16 points in the first half and rolled to victory. Josh Hart had 26. Best player in the country?
#22 Oregon 81, Montana 67. Chris Boucher had 23 points and 19 rebounds for Oregon (9-2). Montana (3-8) stayed in the game until the final 4 minutes.
#25 Cincinnati 96, Texas Southern 58.

Mid-Major Win of the Day: Monmouth 82, Memphis 79. Remember Monmouth last year, beating Notre Dame, UCLA, Georgetown and all. Well, they'rrre back, knocking off Memphis in Memphis after trailing by 10 at halftime. Justin Robinson hit two free throw to give the Hawks (9-2) the lead with 15 seconds left, and Memphis turned it over on the next possession. Je'lon Hornbeak then made two free throws to clinch the win. Hornbeak and Robinson each scored 21 in the win.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 am

Games for Wednesday, Dec. 14:

Horizon:
#14 Wisconsin 73, Green Bay 59. A 14-2 run midway through the first half put the Badgers (10-2) in control. The Phoenix hung around with range for a good while, but a 16-1 Badger run midway through the second half finished the Birds off. Karem Kanter continued to play well for Green Bay (4-6)--in his last three games he has scored 17, 23, and tonight 18 points on 20 of 33 shooting. Previously the junior's career best was 12 points, and he had never scored in double figures in back-to-back games.

UIC 80, DePaul 75. Always nice to beat a Big East team on the road, even if it is only DePaul (5-4). But the win may have come at a high cost--Dikembe Dixson, averaging 22.2 points per game, went down early with a knee injury. Doesn't look like a season-ender or anything, but no official word yet. Kyle Guice led UIC (5-5) with 14.

Ohio 71, Milwaukee 69. Milwaukee (4-7) has at least beaten a few D-I teams and been competitive in some of their losses, like tonight. For the last 30 minutes the teams were never separated by more than 6 points--a pair of Jaron Simmons free throws with 11 seconds left gave Ohio a 5 point lead to withstand Cody Wichmann's trey at the buzzer. Wichmann finished with 15 points. Antonio Campbell had 19 points and 10 rebounds for OU (6-2).

Youngstown State 101, Niagara 97 (OT). Ypsilanti's Devin Haygood hit a pair of free throws to give YSU the lead with 1:52 in OT, then added a put back a bit later to boost the lead to 99-96, and that was enough. Like the Milwaukee game, this one was close all the way, with Niagara's Kahlil Dukes hitting a three to tie it with 3 seconds left in regulation. Cameron Morse had 27 for Youngstown (6-6). Niagara is 3-8.

#20 St. Mary's 73, Western Kentucky 51. The Titans' next victim, Western Kentucky, went out to the West coast to soak up some sun, tell everyone to lighten up, and lose to the Gaels (8-1). The Hilltoppers (4-6) were soundly beaten in every phase of the game. Hopefully, they'll still have a bit of jet lag on Saturday.

East Tennessee State 67, Mississippi State 65. East Tennessee State (8-2) won on a Hanner Mosquera-Perea put back with 1 second left on the clock. The Bulldogs fall to 6-3.

Other Games of No Interest:
#4 Baylor 89, Southern 59.

Iona 94, NJIT 80. NJIT senior guard Damon Lynn hit 7 three pointers in the losing effort, giving him 401 threes in his career. He would need 103 more to catch Travis Bader for the NCAA record. NJIT has a minimum of 19 games left, meaning he'd need to average 5.4 per game if the Highlanders (5-7) lose in the first round of their conference tournament. That's a pretty tall order, not likely but not inconceivable. Bader played in 137 games at Oakland. Lynn has played in just 109 games (he has not missed a game in his collegiate career), and will reach 128 if he plays all of NJIT's remaining 19 regular season games and first round Atlantic Sun tournament game. Recall that NJIT lost at least two and potentially 5 or 6 games total in Lynn's first two seasons, when the Highlanders were independents and had no conference tournament. I just mention all this because it was just a couple years ago folks (including a bunch up the road in Rochester) were talking about how Bader's record would last for such a long time. I always thought it could be broken relatively soon. Lynn may not get it, but someone will, probably sooner rather than later.

Minnesota 76, Long Island 66. Minnesota is 11-1.
Rutgers 82, Fairleigh Dickinson 69. Rutgers is 10-1. Minnesota and Rutgers may yet end up as Big 10 bottom-feeders--neither has played a remotely tough schedule--but they'll help boost that conference RPI.

Middle Tennessee State 79, Belmont 66. The winners are 10-1, and losers 4-4.

Mid-Major win of the Day. East Tennessee State over Mississippi State. The Buccaneers are good.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Unfortunately, it is season ending surgery to repair a torn ACL for Dikembe Dixson.
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball