2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Not too much is known about next year's non-conference schedule, but I thought I would start a thread to gather info on this topic as it comes along.

As to the exhibition season, sounded like the Athletic Department planned to make the "City Championship" game with Wayne State an annual thing.

Eastern Tennessee State owes us a home game.

Murray State owes us a home game.

Fort Wayne will be an away game.

Michigan is rumored to be on the schedule, hearing it could be at the new LCA or perhaps the last sporting event at the JLA.

Had heard some speculation about Western Michigan coming on the schedule based on BA's past ties with the Bronco program, but nothing definitive.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: 2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule

Postby titanmac » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm

wait'll next year! well. i still feel cheated...feel like we should have a game tonight.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm

http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/3/6/mens-basketball-to-take-part-in-23rd-annual-2k-classic-in-2017-18.aspx

The University of Detroit Mercy men's basketball program is starting to build its 2017-18 schedule and that will include playing in the 23rd Annual 2K Classic benefiting the Wounded Warrior Project.

As part of the event, the Titans will face one of the big four teams in the tournament in Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington, and Saint Louis.

Belmont will host Detroit Mercy, Houston Baptist, and Seattle in the Subregional Round of the 2K Classic benefiting Wounded Warrior Project, Nov. 18-19, in Nashville, Tenn.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm

HSScout1 wrote:http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/3/6/mens-basketball-to-take-part-in-23rd-annual-2k-classic-in-2017-18.aspx

The University of Detroit Mercy men's basketball program is starting to build its 2017-18 schedule and that will include playing in the 23rd Annual 2K Classic benefiting the Wounded Warrior Project.

As part of the event, the Titans will face one of the big four teams in the tournament in Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington, and Saint Louis.

Belmont will host Detroit Mercy, Houston Baptist, and Seattle in the Subregional Round of the 2K Classic benefiting Wounded Warrior Project, Nov. 18-19, in Nashville, Tenn.

A weekend tournament in Nashville sounds like a great road trip. Hopefully Autumn Bussye will sing the National Anthem. Seattle is a Jesuit school which is cool.

I would imagine for the other part of this tournament Washington will get paired with Seattle, meaning most likely an away game at Providence, VaTech or St. Louis for the Titans.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I've voiced this before, but I think it would behoove us to play a weak non-conference schedule next year, get some wins.

Year in and year out we play one of the tougher non-conference schedules of any Horizon team (this year we had the second toughest, after Cleveland State), and usually I think that's good and also take some pride in it. But I think we just need to get some Ws. Build confidence, interest the casual fan. I didn't like this past year's schedule because I thought it would be a good year just to pad the record, but more than that, I saw us playing a tough schedule but not one that would the casual fan would see as tough, or that would draw that fan's interest, or be perceived as tough even if we had won a lot.

Illinois and Florida State were power conference schools -- good to schedule. But teams like East Tennessee State (26-7), Fort Wayne (19-12), New Hampshire (20-11) are tough outs, with little upside for beating them. Murray State, Toledo, and Western Kentucky were all down a bit this year, but again, they're tough games (especially the two on the road) with little upside from a win.

Belmont at Belmont will definitely be a good game. Fort Wayne on the road will be tough--they've got a lot back. And of course one of the Big 4 on the road in the Wounded Warrior will be tough. Michigan, if we play them, will be a big favorite over us. That's enough tough games. Let's get some Ws on the schedule. Frankly, I like the idea of playing Houston Baptist and Seattle in Nashville (if we lose, we're gonna suck so bad it doesn't matter; if we win, they're wins). ETSU loses a lot--they are a senior dominated team this year (5 seniors, including their #1,3,4, and 5 scorers), and with the game at Calihan next year that a very winnable game. Murray State should also be winnable at Calihan. They return their top scorer, Stark, but lose their 2, 3, and 4 scorers. Neither a pushover--both programs are pretty good.

That's 8 games right there, and we'd be the underdog in at least 4 of them. I'd schedule WMU if we can. That will be a tough game, too, but I'd do that one. That would leave 4 games. Let's get some Ws. I'd go for the NAIA team (because we will anyway) or even 2; and then try to bring in some teams that can be beaten. Someone like Grambling or Howard--they usually stink, yet have some name recognition for reasons unrelated to basketball. Indiana State-- an MVC team, people have heard of "Indiana"-- but they were 11-20 this year and lose 4 rotation players, including their 2, 3, and 4 scorers, their top rebounder, and top assist man. That would be a good one to schedule.

That's would be my strategy if I were in BA's position, which fortunately, I'm not. (Being a mid-major coach is a tough job.)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Agree with your scheduling philosophy for next season, Commish. If we schedule a couple non D-1 games, a nice opponent IMO would be John Carroll. Not too far for them to come to Detroit (they're in the Cleveland area) and we can promote it as a Jesuit Basketball Spotlight game.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm not a fan of these "tournaments" with sub-regionals. I'd rather play in an actual tournament with other mid-majors that actually allowed us a chance to win something. That's just the way it is though, I guess.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:49 pm

If I'm reading the the WW press release correctly, I think we might get two road games against the big four of Washington, VaTech, Providence and SLU. "Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington, and Saint Louis will host a pair of regional round games on campus in addition to playing at the World's Most Famous Arena on Nov. 16-17."
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Not too much is known about next year's non-conference schedule, but I thought I would start a thread to gather info on this topic as it comes along.

As to the exhibition season, sounded like the Athletic Department planned to make the "City Championship" game with Wayne State an annual thing.

Eastern Tennessee State owes us a home game.

Murray State owes us a home game.

Fort Wayne will be an away game.

Michigan is rumored to be on the schedule, hearing it could be at the new LCA or perhaps the last sporting event at the JLA.

Had heard some speculation about Western Michigan coming on the schedule based on BA's past ties with the Bronco program, but nothing definitive.

Dear Bob, what's the point of starting this thread when we all know that Hoopster will start like 4 of these threads with the same topic??
The-Dude
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 pm

In a 2 day event in Nashville, which I like by the way, Commissioner, we may be playing at Belmont but not playing against Belmont but rather against the other two schools. Possible? We have never played Seattle or Houston Baptist according to a yearbook I have. Also, while rogo has speculated that East Tennessee and Murray State each owe us a game, do we know that for certain, and if they do, are those games necessarily next season?

Sounds like the program is moving quickly to shift attention toward the future and away from this dismal year.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Some other weak-teams-to-schedule possibilities: Catholic colleges occupying the nether region of Hoops Hell (either of the St. Francis teams will do, Niagara, Holy Cross, Fordham), highfalutin sounding but crappy Ivy League schools (Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia), the eastern service academies (Army or Navy), and down-and-out Bradley.

As to pre-season exhibition games, I would take an all-Detroit local approach and open with a "Live6" confidence building matchup against NAIA Marygrove College, followed by a tilt with Wayne State. Proceeds for the Marygrove game go to city Catholic schools, proceeds for the WSU contest to the Detroit Public Schools as was done last year.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:47 pm

It would be nice to see us have more power 5 conference schools, helps us with recruiting and revenue!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Bob,
I have just forwarded your post to Autumn, and then called her, and she is going to request to do the Anthem for one of the Belmont games next year while we are in Nashville. Since it's a music school, it is much more difficult to get the opportunity to sing the Anthem there, and she has not had the opportunity yet, but she will go for it. Thanks for remembering where she goes to college. These are the kinds of posts that make it easier to get through the long off-season -- friends supporting friends in the Titan Family. By the way, basketball is not over for those of us and 6/Liv, and I will be in the stands tomorrow at noon for the Lady Titans.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:41 pm

FWIW - OU article today from Tony Paul on their schedule
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /98847220/

Going to play AT Syracuse and Kansas - big paydays. And a neutral court with Michigan State. Perhaps a Little Caesars double offering (no not pizza pizza) could be UM vs UDM and MSU vs OU, that'd be a fun afternoon of hoops for sure.

For UDM - I subscribe to Commish's idea on this for next year, make it a lighter schedule all around. Let the team win, develop some chemistry and confidence. I'd go TO a big school merely for the paycheck, if we need to squeeze in a game or two like that.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:FWIW - OU article today from Tony Paul on their schedule

Going to play AT Syracuse and Kansas - big paydays. And a neutral court with Michigan State. Perhaps a Little Caesars double offering (no not pizza pizza) could be UM vs UDM and MSU vs OU, that'd be a fun afternoon of hoops for sure.

For UDM - I subscribe to Commish's idea on this for next year, make it a lighter schedule all around. Let the team win, develop some chemistry and confidence. I'd go TO a big school merely for the paycheck, if we need to squeeze in a game or two like that.

I read elsewhere that Kampe plans two non-D1 games in next year's OU schedule, perhaps that's better than two weak D1 teams for RPI purposes. Also read that the conference has hired an RPI consultant of some kind (perhaps a future sideline for Commish), so perhaps HL schools will be getting more guidance on strategic scheduling.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:09 pm

i'm thinking ba sleeps better every night knowing all he ever has to do to set up his schedule any given year is to read this board.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Killing me seeing this UDM
titanmike
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:28 pm

titanmike wrote:

Killing me seeing this UDM

Let's get this right--it's Detmer!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 pm

...who?
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

Looks like we won't be closing the Joe with a game vs Michigan (although we are trying to schedule a game with them elsewhere), plus BA is trying to schedule MSU

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/16/um-udm-hoops-opened-joe-close/99281588/
HSScout1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball