Future of HL Tourney in Detroit

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Future of HL Tourney in Detroit

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 am

You can't help but wonder how long this can last. If neither Choakland nor us can make it to the final game and draw a big crowd, it's hard to imagine anyone (LCA, HL, schools not named OU or UDM) putting up with this situation beyond the original contract. Other boards are are not happy with Detroit hosting (especially Valpo).

The format makes traveling for out of towners very tough. For me, living just 3 hours away, it's nearly impossible to plan. I start to get a general sense of when my school will play a week before. If I were to go to Detroit on Friday with the hopes of seeing my alma mater win the tourney, I'd be there through late Tuesday night. That's at least 4 nights in a hotel and at least 3 days off work with short notice. I love HL hoops, but not that much. Seems to me if they're going to keep the tourney at a neutral site they need to maybe play the first round games on campus sites and find a way to play the final game during the weekend.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Future of HL Tourney in Detroit

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 am

The tourney in Detroit is actually kinda of solid. Remember, next year it will be played in a brand new state of the art facility. If only the host team can find some talent to be competitive, that would solidify things.

I mean really, what happen to what was a hoops hub in SE Michigan?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 am

They had an announced attendance over 8400 last night, and while that may have included a number of corporate no-shows, it was clearly a good crowd--looked quite good on TV.

They play that final on Tuesday because they want ESPN, but I think they really need to change that. Have first round games on campus on Tuesday or Wednesday, then quarters on Friday, semis on Saturday, finals on Sunday. With every game on ESPN 3, I'm just not sure getting the 1 game on the national network is worth it. Build the product and make ESPN come to us. With a Friday-Sunday format, fans can plan. It's just 1 day off work for those traveling. As it is now, fans don't know who plays when, and very few Horizon fans will take Monday and Tuesday (and Wednesday, since it's a late game Tuesday) off work to travel to Detroit.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:53 am

Commissioner wrote:They had an announced attendance over 8400 last night, and while that may have included a number of corporate no-shows, it was clearly a good crowd--looked quite good on TV.

They play that final on Tuesday because they want ESPN, but I think they really need to change that. Have first round games on campus on Tuesday or Wednesday, then quarters on Friday, semis on Saturday, finals on Sunday. With every game on ESPN 3, I'm just not sure getting the 1 game on the national network is worth it. Build the product and make ESPN come to us. With a Friday-Sunday format, fans can plan. It's just 1 day off work for those traveling. As it is now, fans don't know who plays when, and very few Horizon fans will take Monday and Tuesday (and Wednesday, since it's a late game Tuesday) off work to travel to Detroit.

If we had a program inclusive of talent like Long, Haywood, Tyler, Phillips, etc... I doubt that it would matter because the gym would be packed with excitement.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am

I think the new arena will be somewhat a draw in-and-of-itself next year. Tweak the format as suggested above and get a deeper tournament run from Oakland and/or Detroit Mercy, and things will look so much brighter. That said, now that the Pistons join the Red Wings as tenets taking up 40+ additional dates a year, I would think the Olympia folks are perhaps less interested in extending the contract beyond 2020.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:09 am

Every conference tournament presents some challenges for the working class fan base members of the various schools. I think Detroit still makes the most sense a tournament site, with amenities beyond basketball within walking distance, hotels that are reasonably priced, two local programs to help drive attendance, etc. Next season we'll have a state of the art arena to play in. I think Commish has a good idea with having the early games on campus sites. I understand the conference wanting to have the title game on ESPN, also. Should be able to figure out a way to maximize the potential here.

One thing that the conference can't fix is the performance from the local teams. There is a great opportunity here for both the Titans and the Grizzlies, but we need to do our part.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
One thing that the conference can't fix is the performance from the local teams. There is a great opportunity here for both the Titans and the Grizzlies, but we need to do our part.

Around the league hard core fans were complaining that holding the tournament would be an unfair advantage for the Titans and Grizzlies. The two teams are now 1-4 in the tournament, with 3 of the 4 losses coming as the higher seeded team.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:50 pm

UIC leads Green Bay at halftime.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:10 pm

And UIC beats Green Bay.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Below are the only 5 conferences playing on-campus/highest remaining seed and their conference RPI.

America East #21
Patroit #22
Big South #25
A-Sun #26
NEC #30
Commissioner
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Good article on the tournament, my understanding is attendance was up significantly but you do have women's games in the count this year. Hopefully it continues to draw especially once it is at Little Caesar's Arena.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/06/horizon-tourneys-success-ou-udm-shoulders/98805574/
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm

I was surprised how many fans were present for the final game. The crowd sounded loud on espn. It didn't look so great if the camera showed the empty seats behind the hoops, but that was relatively rare.

Looks much better than having the game at a campus site.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Hopefully, the attendance was improved this year and all parties involved remain committed to the idea of the HL tourney in Detroit for at least three more years. Obviously, I like the idea of it being in the Motor City, but it makes sense for all kinds of objective reasons. It's central location for conference teams/fan bases, there is plenty to do within walking distance of LCA, and the new arena will be top notch. Some tweaks with the schedule might help, but it seems like a pretty good set up.

Personally, I was at JLA for all but one of the days of the tourney and had a great time once I got past the horrific performance of the Titans against Milwaukee. I got to spend time with fellow posters like Denny Crane, Dan the Book Guy, Kevin, Titan Mike, Titan Andrew, and others. (Dan and I found out we have something else in common besides our Titan fandom; we're both fans of the author Lawrence Block.) I interacted with the parents of YSU's Devin Haygood and WSU's Mike La Tulip, and both sets of parents were classy and friendly. I talked to fans from just about every team, talked to some players and coaches from other programs, and met a lot of new people, including a UIC grad student who got her undergrad at U of D. All in all, it was a great time. I think Titan Reggie would have enjoyed it.

One thing that disappointed me was that I didn't see the men's team come out to support the women's team as they were making their way to Finals. Would have been nice to see the guys there cheering for the Lady Titans, who put on a great show.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 am

The Palace in Auburn Hill announced today that the upcoming Bob Seger concert will be the last event at that venue. The structure will be leveled and land developed for other purposes. According to the Detroit Free Press "The closure will leave just one major arena in a market that boasted three as recently as 2012, when the Palace, Joe Louis Arena and Cobo Arena gave event promoters flexible options in metro Detroit. That means the schedule at Little Caesars Arena will be filled to the brim, as a multitude of concerts, family shows, tournaments and other special events get fitted alongside two major-league sports seasons."

I think the next three Horizon tournaments at the LCA will be mildly successful, but the Olympia partners will quickly come to the conclusion that there are far more profitable ways to utilize a minimum of four consecutive days at that 20,000+ seat arena than hosting the HL tournament. Let's enjoy the opportunity of having the tournament in Detroit for the next three years because I don't think the option will be there for the conference after 2020.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 am

Yeah, it's hard to see this staying at LCA. I could see HL stringing along short term deals of a few years in certain cities. Chicago and Indy are obvious. Hopefully LCA happens again too, but we'd be fools to think it will continue here all the time.

Hopefully we can play one game per year at LCA in non-conference. Problem is, the only schools that will help us sell enough tickets are UM and MSU. Their schedules are tough to work around.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Nice to see all of the pre-season optimism on the board.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm

I can see the HL Tourney being a smashing success in the new arena! We have the backing of the Ilitchs' and others. This year for the first time the tournament will be in the entertainment district. Lots of things to do within walking distance. This has a good chance to grow. The out-of-town schools will like it. They had a legitimate gripe the past two years because of it being at the JLA and as we know that venue was isolated from the ever-growing downtown and there was nothing to do close by. My friends who have visited Detroit the last couple of years and attended games/events downtown are amazed at the hustle and bustle.

Finally, U of D may want to consider playing all of their games at LCA. The population is growing (downtown/mid-town, etc) and we can attract new fans. When we played our games at Cobo back in the 90's our crowds were much larger (4-5,000?) than they are now plus there are more people living in the area now than there were back then so we may be able to attract even more fans. We can run shuttle vans from campus for the students.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I can see the HL Tourney being a smashing success in the new arena! We have the backing of the Ilitchs' and others. This year for the first time the tournament will be in the entertainment district. Lots of things to do within walking distance. This has a good chance to grow. The out-of-town schools will like it. They had a legitimate gripe the past two years because of it being at the JLA and as we know that venue was isolated from the ever-growing downtown and there was nothing to do close by. My friends who have visited Detroit the last couple of years and attended games/events downtown are amazed at the hustle and bustle.

Finally, U of D may want to consider playing all of their games at LCA. The population is growing (downtown/mid-town, etc) and we can attract new fans. When we played our games at Cobo back in the 90's our crowds were much larger (4-5,000?) than they are now plus there are more people living in the area now than there were back then so we may be able to attract even more fans. We can run shuttle vans from campus for the students.

Even if we could somehow match attendance figures from the height of the Vitale era and quadruple numbers from recent years, 8,000 fans would fill 40% of the LCA. No way is Olympia interested in selling $15 or $20 tickets in a half empty arena when they'll have an opportunity to sell out concerts with prices averaging $100 a pop. Don't forget, including pre-season exhibition games, the Pistons and Red Wings will cover about a hundred dates. Trying to be realistic here, no chance whatsoever of the Titans playing more than a game or two each season at the downtown arena.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:According to the Detroit Free Press "The closure will leave just one major arena in a market that boasted three as recently as 2012, when the Palace, Joe Louis Arena and Cobo Arena gave event promoters flexible options in metro Detroit. That means the schedule at Little Caesars Arena will be filled to the brim, as a multitude of concerts, family shows, tournaments and other special events get fitted alongside two major-league sports seasons".

I know of a pretty decent place that could hold a 5,000-10,000 person concert/show. ;) There are plenty of bands drawing in that range, I'm sure-- not big enough for an arena/stadium and bigger than the Fox or Fillmore can handle.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I can see the HL Tourney being a smashing success in the new arena! We have the backing of the Ilitchs' and others. This year for the first time the tournament will be in the entertainment district. Lots of things to do within walking distance. This has a good chance to grow. The out-of-town schools will like it. They had a legitimate gripe the past two years because of it being at the JLA and as we know that venue was isolated from the ever-growing downtown and there was nothing to do close by. My friends who have visited Detroit the last couple of years and attended games/events downtown are amazed at the hustle and bustle.

Even if we could somehow match attendance figures from the height of the Vitale era and quadruple numbers from recent years, 8,000 fans would fill 40% of the LCA. No way is Olympia interested in selling $15 or $20 tickets in a half empty arena when they'll have an opportunity to sell out concerts with prices averaging $100 a pop. Don't forget, including pre-season exhibition games, the Pistons and Red Wings will cover about a hundred dates. Trying to be realistic here, no chance whatsoever of the Titans playing more than a game or two each season at the downtown arena.

Stop being so pessimistic and negative! Don't let things like facts and reality get in our way. We should also have our own cable network to show Titan athletics around the world.

Tacitus651
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball